• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

What brand Bore Guides are you using for the MRAD? The only one I found besides factory was the J Dewey 338.

I am debating whether to spend my hard earned money on an MRAD or a custom rifle. I already have an AI AXSA in 308. My next rifle is going to be a 6.5 CM. I know that I could easily change the barrel on the AI, however, I came into a little fun money and want to spend it . What better way than to support the firearm industry. As such, the question becomes which one. I do really like military pedigree rifles, and thus, why I am considering the MRAD. My custom specs would be foundation, impact, bartlein from somebody like Stuteville or SAC. Obviously, the Barrett is more cashola, however, gives me the option down the road of a magnum caliber. With the custom I am stuck at 6.5CM. As such, anybody have both and can you give me your thoughts. Even if you want to call me an a-hole that is acceptable too :ROFLMAO: Thanks

My vote would be for the MRAD. I had no opinion on the rifle until 3 weeks ago.

I was super lucky to spend a weekend with an MRAD in .300 Norma Mag on Saturday and in .308 on Sunday. I dropped an 8inch and a 6 inch, 5-round groups at 1000 yards with the .300NM and I assure you, it was the gun, not me. My buddy shot the smallest group of the day at 4.7" - sub half MOA. This was all with factory Hornady 225gr ELD Match. The bolt action is absolutely the smoothest of any rifle I've ever shot, probably due to the plastic sleeve it rides in. So simple, but such a genius design. We went through 450 rounds, didn't require any cleaning, a single drop of lube, or any maintenance of any sort. The last shot was as accurate as the first.

We shot probably 600 rounds of .308 on Sunday. Exact same experience. Flawless operation. Shooting surplus M119LR and it was still a sub MOA rifle all day long. We ran a drill at 600 yards: Standing, mag loaded, bolt at the rear. On the buzzer, drop to prone and engage 5 shots. This was my result in 20.59 seconds (4.55" if it's too small):

1601931032320.jpeg

1601931031399.png

1601931104823.png

Last edited:
I am debating whether to spend my hard earned money on an MRAD or a custom rifle. I already have an AI AXSA in 308. My next rifle is going to be a 6.5 CM. I know that I could easily change the barrel on the AI, however, I came into a little fun money and want to spend it . What better way than to support the firearm industry. As such, the question becomes which one. I do really like military pedigree rifles, and thus, why I am considering the MRAD. My custom specs would be foundation, impact, bartlein from somebody like Stuteville or SAC. Obviously, the Barrett is more cashola, however, gives me the option down the road of a magnum caliber. With the custom I am stuck at 6.5CM. As such, anybody have both and can you give me your thoughts. Even if you want to call me an a-hole that is acceptable too :ROFLMAO: Thanks
I have a MRAD with barrels in 6.5-CM, 300-WM, 308-Win, and 338-LM. I have a lot of other rifles, but haven't bought anything since my MRAD. I shoot it every week, compete with it every month, and pretty much all my other rifles (except my MPA-300-WMBA) never leave the safe since the MRAD arrived. It gets my vote every day ... twice on the weekends. Go buy one, and don't look back.

I have a MRAD with barrels in 6.5-CM, 300-WM, 308-Win, and 338-LM. I have a lot of other rifles, but haven't bought anything since my MRAD. I shoot it every week, compete with it every month, and pretty much all my other rifles (except my MPA-300-WMBA) never leave the safe since the MRAD arrived. It gets my vote every day ... twice on the weekends. Go buy one, and don't look back.

What competitions do you take your MRAD to? Curious to know what your setup is (e.g. any accessories added onto your MRAD such as an ARCA rail or weights). Do you feel like anything is missing compared to the popular chassis platforms currently used, such as the MPA or MDT?

I tried searching for past posts in this thread to see if you posted any pictures of your setup, but didn't find anything.

Thanks!

Reactions: JulianD
Hey guys, my Nightforce F1 7-35x56 Tremor 3 Scope just arrived. My MRAD on order is FDE. I have cerakoted ACOG's before but I want to keep all the factory markings on the Nightforce. Do you think it would look stupid with the turrets and center portion black and the rest FDE?
After Cerakoting my Toyota Tundra, doing a $3900 scope seems less intimidating. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: JulianD
What competitions do you take your MRAD to? Curious to know what your setup is (e.g. any accessories added onto your MRAD such as an ARCA rail or weights). Do you feel like anything is missing compared to the popular chassis platforms currently used, such as the MPA or MDT?

I tried searching for past posts in this thread to see if you posted any pictures of your setup, but didn't find anything.

Thanks!
Not much for rifle photos, but I'll try to post one later today. My MRAD is generally "stock" ... and my investments have been in the barrel conversion kits. I use an Atlas bipod, and the glass varies by barrel but mostly I shoot with Leupold Mark 5 HD 5-25x. I also have the MRAD rear bag rider and I've mounted a SC ASR Brake to make it easy to pop suppressors on and off. I shoot .308-W, .300-WM, and 6.5-CM with a SilencerCo Chimera-300, and the .338-LM with a SilencerCo Omega 36M. I chronograph with a LabRadar, and use a Kestrel Elite weather/ballistics computer.

The match I shoot is the one put on by the Great Basin Precision Rifle group at my local Central Oregon range (COSSA) on the first weekend of every month. Friday and Saturday are ELR days (out to a mile), and Sunday is "Gas Gun" day (out to 900-ish).

In response to your question ... "nothing is missing" ... the MRAD is pretty darn complete, and if you don't shoot suppressed, the included Barrett muzzle brakes are quite good. The trigger is adjustable and awesome, and the darn thing has a bolt that is smooth as silk.

Had I bought my MRAD "first", it's likely I'd never have gotten several of my other distance rifles.

Mounted a new scope on this and shot it for the first time. Quick bore site, paper and some RL25 test groups.
My 200 yard sand pit!

A custom bag rider from pfl338 I tried out. Suppose to be for my AI but ran out of time.
Beautiful setup ... like the bag rider. I use the one from Barrett. How's the recoil on the .338 barrel? I found my .338 recoil was way down and much easier on the shoulder when I mounted my SilencerCo Omega 36M. Way easier than any muzzle brake.

No cans? Hard to imagine. Definitely time to relocate.

I shoot "everything" suppressed. Here's a pic of my "Can Briefcase" ... left-to-right:

- Chimera-300
- Chimera-300 (spare)
- Omega 45K
- Osprey 45
- Sparrow 22
- Omega 36M (this one is cool ... multi-caliber rifle and pistol ... and modular)

Since everything (except the 22) is multi-caliber ... I have every rifle and pistol I own pretty much covered. All my rifles have ASR brakes so I can mount and move easily.

(Those of you in "Bondage States" ... feel free to "drool and dream".)

IMG_4022-1.jpg

Thanks!
You asked for a photo ... here ya go. Spent the morning at my local range, with the MRAD 6.5-CM barrel stretching it out to 1,400-ish. It was a beautiful morning ... sunny, cool, no wind ... great results at all distances. The glass is a Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 (Mil TMR).

IMG_4025.jpg

Got a "Back In Stock" warning from Big Daddy ... and bought a 300-PRC barrel conversion kit for my MRAD. I did some research and am convinced that this will be even more accurate at distance than my 300 WinMag barrel (which routinely shoots a mile for me). Heck ... the BC difference alone is huge on Hornady ELD-M ammo ... with 300-WM BC at .292 (G7) and 300-PRC BC at .391 (G7).

After ordering the barrel, I was ultra-discouraged to be unable to find ammo "anywhere" ... totally out of stock. Called my local gun shop and he said "Sure, I have two 200-round cases in stock. You want 'em both?" Picked up the ammo 20 minutes later.

Happy ending ... plenty of ammo - barrel on the way. Probably won't be here in time for an ELR competition at my local range on Nov-7 ... but at least when it gets here, I'll have something to shoot instead of dry-firing and yelling "BANG".

Who's Big Daddy? What did the kit cost you? Included a bolt head?

Got a "Back In Stock" warning from Big Daddy ... and bought a 300-PRC barrel conversion kit for my MRAD. I did some research and am convinced that this will be even more accurate at distance than my 300 WinMag barrel (which routinely shoots a mile for me). Heck ... the BC difference alone is huge on Hornady ELD-M ammo ... with 300-WM BC at .292 (G7) and 300-PRC BC at .391 (G7).

After ordering the barrel, I was ultra-discouraged to be unable to find ammo "anywhere" ... totally out of stock. Called my local gun shop and he said "Sure, I have two 200-round cases in stock. You want 'em both?" Picked up the ammo 20 minutes later.

Happy ending ... plenty of ammo - barrel on the way. Probably won't be here in time for an ELR competition at my local range on Nov-7 ... but at least when it gets here, I'll have something to shoot instead of dry-firing and yelling "BANG".

Sharing is caring. Just paid $1270.84 from Locked and Loaded shipped with insurance for a 300 PRC barrel conversion whole kit. Hurry while it’s still available. I used gun.deals to find it and it was the cheapest out of all. I think Battlehawk Armory has it cheaper but they won’t ship to my Commiefornia state.

Reactions: BuLLet
Sharing is caring. Just paid $1270.84 from Locked and Loaded shipped with insurance for a 300 PRC barrel conversion whole kit. Hurry while it’s still available. I used gun.deals to find it and it was the cheapest out of all. I think Battlehawk Armory has it cheaper but they won’t ship to my Commiefornia state.
Yup ... saw that one on a quick search once I got the BDU Alert, and thought about it, but never bought anything there and have had great results from Big Daddy ... I decided to pay a little extra and stick with what works. Several times recently I've bought from vendors I've never used, and been unhappy with long lead times, unexpected stock-outs, etc. Figured a few bucks of savings wasn't worth the uncertainty. You obviously got a great deal. Were you able to find some 300-PRC ammo?

Yup ... saw that one on a quick search once I got the BDU Alert, and thought about it, but never bought anything there and have had great results from Big Daddy ... I decided to pay a little extra and stick with what works. Several times recently I've bought from vendors I've never used, and been unhappy with long lead times, unexpected stock-outs, etc. Figured a few bucks of savings wasn't worth the uncertainty. You obviously got a great deal. Were you able to find some 300-PRC ammo?

Not looking to buy any ammo right now as there are none I could find online and I prefer to make my own moving forward. I picked up some dies, bullets, and ADG brass that I’m going to use to develop for some loads with Alliant 25 for the 300 PRC. Also, I’ve used locked and loaded for years and they’ve always sent items timely so I trust them. I’ve bought a Kestrel Elite from them recently and it took a couple of weeks to get to me due to COVID but that’s standard to across most stores online these days.

Not looking to buy any ammo right now as there are none I could find online and I prefer to make my own moving forward. I picked up some dies, bullets, and ADG brass that I’m going to use to develop for some loads with Alliant 25 for the 300 PRC. Also, I’ve used locked and loaded for years and they’ve always sent items timely so I trust them. I’ve bought a Kestrel Elite from them recently and it took a couple of weeks to get to me due to COVID but that’s standard to across most stores online these days.
After 45 years of working non-stop (USMC and Silicon Valley) ... I retire on October 31st. That was my "demarcation" line to start reloading vs. buying factory ammo. In the past, I shot all factory because I had more "money" than "time". That all reverses on November 1st. Bought the "Top Grade Ammo" reloading for beginning idiots guide, and plan on reading it and accumulating "stuff" to reload over the next few months. Seems a bit "daunting", but I'll figure it out.

Reactions: LHOG3187
After 45 years of working non-stop (USMC and Silicon Valley) ... I retire on October 31st. That was my "demarcation" line to start reloading vs. buying factory ammo. In the past, I shot all factory because I had more "money" than "time". That all reverses on November 1st. Bought the "Top Grade Ammo" reloading for beginning idiots guide, and plan on reading it and accumulating "stuff" to reload over the next few months. Seems a bit "daunting", but I'll figure it out.

Thank you for your service.

My experience with the Hornady brass is not so great so just fair warning.

Thank you for your service.

My experience with the Hornady brass is not so great so just fair warning.
I've had pretty good luck so far. Factory ammo seems to be pretty darn accurate in 300 Win Mag out to a mile for me. Hoping the 300 PRC is even better. We shall see ...

Ordered, same price!

Thanks

Reactions: LHOG3187
Where’s the best spot to buy an MRAD? Looks like a lot of places are out of stock.

I’d like a folding FDE or Brown in 300 Norma but it doesn’t look like they make one from the factory. So I am looking at picking one up in 308 or 6.5 and getting a conversion kit for it.

Apparently the Stock shortfall is from Barrett changing the current comercial MRAD to more match the Mark 22 which the FEDS adopted. Least that's what I was told.

Where’s the best spot to buy an MRAD? Looks like a lot of places are out of stock.

I’d like a folding FDE or Brown in 300 Norma but it doesn’t look like they make one from the factory. So I am looking at picking one up in 308 or 6.5 and getting a conversion kit for it.

Where do you live? I need the Match 300 PRC. I'll drive there this week!

There are new SKU's that don't show up on Barrett's website. I am in AZ but ordered an FDE folder in 300 PRC from Hinterland Outfitters in Texas. The lead time is 6-10 weeks. I am at week 7 and no rifle yet.

Apparently the Stock shortfall is from Barrett changing the current comercial MRAD to more match the Mark 22 which the FEDS adopted. Least that's what I was told.
I spoke with Barrett and the MK22 features won't be shipping on new rifles until end of 2021. My 300 PRC is a brand new SKU and factory confirmed no M-Lok. :(

Meh.... do you really need mlok on rifle like this? It’s not like an AR we you are hanging a bunch of shit off the side. The m-lok rails tend to be a little thinner too.

Rwanda. (That's my way of saying "You can't have my ammo.") 😂
Glad you guys had some fun in your confusion. I should have been more clear. I didn't want your ammo. I was wondering what local store you bought it from??? Instead, I saw you are from Bend, OR and then googled all the gun stores there. Called until I found the right one. Now I have a 200 round case 0f 225 ELD headed my way to Arizona. ;)

Glad you guys had some fun in your confusion. I should have been more clear. I didn't want your ammo. I was wondering what local store you bought it from??? Instead, I saw you are from Bend, OR and then googled all the gun stores there. Called until I found the right one. Now I have a 200 round case 0f 225 ELD headed my way to Arizona. ;)
Sorry ... missed that part. Got it at Deschutes Arms & Munitions ... a truly awesome LGS.

Beginning to wonder about my decision to order the 300-PRC Barrel Conversion Kit from Big Daddy Unlimited. Got an Email yesterday with a generic message to send my FFL info for this order ... which is BS here in Oregon for a barrel purchase. I've tried to contact them by phone (long hold times followed by multiple disconnects) and Email (unanswered thus far). Struggling to talk to a "human". Never had this issue before with BDU ... service has always been good. Not this time ...

Beginning to wonder about my decision to order the 300-PRC Barrel Conversion Kit from Big Daddy Unlimited. Got an Email yesterday with a generic message to send my FFL info for this order ... which is BS here in Oregon for a barrel purchase. I've tried to contact them by phone (long hold times followed by multiple disconnects) and Email (unanswered thus far). Struggling to talk to a "human". Never had this issue before with BDU ... service has always been good. Not this time ...
Why do you need an FFL for a barrel? My 338NM shipped to my residence.

Well that sucks. I had been looking at the trial subscription to buy this from them. Glad I went with the cheaper alternative :)

Though, they said shipping would be delayed upfront. Not overly worried about it.

Want to give up some of that 300 PRC ammo now? :)

Why do you need an FFL for a barrel? My 338NM shipped to my residence.
That's exactly my point. Bought the barrel kit, then got an Email two days later saying "Send us your FFL" ... and now I'm struggling to contact their Customer Service department.

Well that sucks. I had been looking at the trial subscription to buy this from them. Glad I went with the cheaper alternative :)

Though, they said shipping would be delayed upfront. Not overly worried about it.

Want to give up some of that 300 PRC ammo now? :)
Let me get back to you on that ...

Update ... got a call back (finally) from Big Daddy Unlimited. Long story short ... they incorrectly flagged this barrel conversion kit as a FFL item, and when that happens, they release the held product and sell it to someone else. They've refunded my money ... at least they said they did and I'll see it in 3-to-5 business days. The search continues ... now I have "Ammo", but no "Barrel". A week ago, it was the other way around. Geez ... :oops:

I was going to suggest looking at Locked & Loaded, but they are now out of stock. Big Daddy should change their name to Baby Daddy now with that screw up :)

We can talk about that extra useless ammo you're now sitting on :)

Update ... got a call back (finally) from Big Daddy Unlimited. Long story short ... they incorrectly flagged this barrel conversion kit as a FFL item, and when that happens, they release the held product and sell it to someone else. They've refunded my money ... at least they said they did and I'll see it in 3-to-5 business days. The search continues ... now I have "Ammo", but no "Barrel". A week ago, it was the other way around. Geez ... :oops:

Last edited:
Everyone is out of stock ... except Barrett. Just bought one there and paid the extra $250-ish. I have more "money" than "patience". Ammo is home ... stop trying to kidnap it. LOL :LOL:

Everyone is out of stock ... except Barrett. Just bought one there and paid the extra $250-ish. I have more "money" than "patience". Ammo is home ... stop trying to kidnap it. LOL :LOL:
Rusty, even though they say stock, Barrett still took 5 weeks to ship my 338NM Barrel. Which really doesn't matter because I still don't have the MRAD.

Rusty, even though they say stock, Barrett still took 5 weeks to ship my 338NM Barrel. Which really doesn't matter because I still don't have the MRAD.
Yeah ... the whole "everything takes forever" thing is really pissin' me off. I just chalk it up to the crazy times we're living in right now. I long for normalcy ... where you pay for something, it ships two days later, and you're shooting with it by the end of the week. Will we "ever" get back to that? Or is this the new "normal"? I don't know.

After two weeks showing as "Processing", I contacted the Barrett store for the ship status of my 300-PRC Barrel Conversion Kit that showed "In Stock" when I ordered it. I was told they were "4 weeks out on production". Interesting definition for "In Stock" ... eh? Oh well ... looks like I'm giving it to myself for Christmas. Weather sucks anyway, so not a big deal. Late fall / early winter is a good time to order things with long lead-times.

Mine showed up first week of November, now all I need is that ammo you have no use for :)

Least not till Christmas!

After two weeks showing as "Processing", I contacted the Barrett store for the ship status of my 300-PRC Barrel Conversion Kit that showed "In Stock" when I ordered it. I was told they were "4 weeks out on production". Interesting definition for "In Stock" ... eh? Oh well ... looks like I'm giving it to myself for Christmas. Weather sucks anyway, so not a big deal. Late fall / early winter is a good time to order things with long lead-times.

Mine showed up first week of November, now all I need is that ammo you have no use for :)

Least not till Christmas!
I have 400 rounds of 300-PRC available at the "Pandemic-Panic-Price" of $20/round. If you buy all 400 rounds (List price: $8,000) I'll throw in free shipping (USPS Ground - Bulk Freight). Please allow 6-to-8 weeks for delivery. All you pay for shipping is a $200 handling surcharge. BUT WAIT - THERE'S MORE ... every purchase comes with a free 8 1/2 x 11 vintage Sears & Roebuck "Raccoon Target" downloaded from the Internet. But this amazing deal is for a limited time only, and ends when my 300-PRC barrel arrives. Operators are standing by !!!

Raccoon.jpg

My 300 PRC barrel showed up two weeks ago too. Waiting on some ADG brass to go back in stock or the Lapua brass to come out next year. Almost tempted to buy the RCC brass. By the way I saw on another forum that someone can do some milling to put in an mlok if you have the older version MRAD. I don’t think it’s worth doing that.