• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The new Springfield 2020 Waypoint Rifle

JFC has anybody shot a fucking waypoint yet
I have. I picked up the non adjustable version of the waypoint in 6.5 cm. I’m still working up a load with some 143 eld-x’s but I had a 3/4” 5 shot group at 100 yards.
I think with a little more load development the group size will shrink a little more.
Mine is the carbon fiber non adjustable version.

I cringe at the idea that fluting under CF improves heat dissipation.** Air gaps are great insulators. I'll buy it as weight reduction. Personally, that's a few ounces I don't need to save - I'd take the increased mass and better conduction. The action looks cool, and with a heavy steel tube it would be pretty nice.

** The argument for this as I understand it is that fluting increases surface area and thus convection cooling... which is totally irrelevant for a system that's enclosed (i.e. no air currents) and advertises 95% of the CF sleeve not touching the steel. That's a thermos with bullets in the middle instead of coffee.

Yeah, I'd pass on the CF barrel and go steel.

I cringe at the idea that fluting under CF improves heat dissipation.** Air gaps are great insulators. I'll buy it as weight reduction. Personally, that's a few ounces I don't need to save - I'd take the increased mass and better conduction. The action looks cool, and with a heavy steel tube it would be pretty nice.

** The argument for this as I understand it is that fluting increases surface area and thus convection cooling... which is totally irrelevant for a system that's enclosed (i.e. no air currents) and advertises 95% of the CF sleeve not touching the steel. That's a thermos with bullets in the middle instead of coffee.

Are they in stock anywhere?

My local Sportsmans Warehouse here in Phoenix has had one the last couple times Ive gone in. I think they were different ones too so I think they have a supply of them. IIRC they were the non adjustable carbon fiber models and were 2149.

Does anyone have any experience with the steel barrel? Every single review I see is focused on the carbon version and there is very little info on the steel barrel on their website. Due to the way they are doing their carbon barrel I'm not sure it's worth the huge premium.

Specifically I am wondering if it is large enough diameter to mount a suppressor?

I have. I picked up the non adjustable version of the waypoint in 6.5 cm. I’m still working up a load with some 143 eld-x’s but I had a 3/4” 5 shot group at 100 yards.
I think with a little more load development the group size will shrink a little more.
Mine is the carbon fiber non adjustable version.
Curious as to what your seating depth is with your 143’s. After measuring the CBTO in my 6.5 creed waypoint I found my “to the lands” measurement significantly longer than my magazine OAL. I usually start my load dev .010 off the lands and was curious about where you started/what results you’ve been getting

Curious as to what your seating depth is with your 143’s. After measuring the CBTO in my 6.5 creed waypoint I found my “to the lands” measurement significantly longer than my magazine OAL. I usually start my load dev .010 off the lands and was curious about where you started/what results you’ve been getting
So I did do some load development and with my rifle I’m loading 143 eld-x’s with 41.5 grains of H4350 and my OAL is 2.885. Works perfect through my aics mags. I have a .015 jump from the lands. 1/2” groups with this load.

Edit: my velocity is 2745 FPS with this load over my magneto.

Reactions: beretta_man11
So I did do some load development and with my rifle I’m loading 143 eld-x’s with 41.5 grains of H4350 and my OAL is 2.885. Works perfect through my aics mags. I have a .015 jump from the lands. 1/2” groups with this load.

Edit: my velocity is 2745 FPS with this load over my magneto.
Awesome. Appreciate the reply. I’m using MDT 10 rounders that have a max OAL of 2.870, which is 2.220 max CBTO . My CBTO to lands is 2.270. So if I’m going to shoot out of my Aics mag I have to start my seating at a minimum of .050 off the lands. Just seems odd to me considering my other two rifles best seating depths are .010 and .015 like yours. Dunno if what I wrote made any sense. Now that I’m reading it I’m having a hard time figuring out what I said haha

Awesome. Appreciate the reply. I’m using MDT 10 rounders that have a max OAL of 2.870, which is 2.220 max CBTO . My CBTO to lands is 2.270. So if I’m going to shoot out of my Aics mag I have to start my seating at a minimum of .050 off the lands. Just seems odd to me considering my other two rifles best seating depths are .010 and .015 like yours. Dunno if what I wrote made any sense. Now that I’m reading it I’m having a hard time figuring out what I said haha
Heck I’d try .050 off the lands it might surprise you.

Reactions: Davo308
I’ll give it shot. I’ll update with results from my loads. Going to be trying 120gr GMX, 139gr Nosler ABLR, and the 143gr ELDX with H4350.
66D2882B-CD95-406D-9553-D5DCB9B7EB3C.jpeg

Finally got a chance to take it out and get her 100yd zero and test a few loads. Best shooting load was the 143gr ELD-X seated .050 off the lands (or at my max OAL for my magazine). Very impressed with the rifle, soft shooting and pretty damn accurate. Action cycles very smooth. Only issue I’m having is my brass is getting a little chewed up near the shoulder…I’ll post below

View attachment 7746491
Finally got a chance to take it out and get her 100yd zero and test a few loads. Best shooting load was the 143gr ELD-X seated .050 off the lands (or at my max OAL for my magazine). Very impressed with the rifle, soft shooting and pretty damn accurate. Action cycles very smooth. Only issue I’m having is my brass is getting a little chewed up near the shoulder…I’ll post below
Not sure what’s going on with this…maybe burs in the throat? Cleaned it and still the issue persists

Attachments

• 31E69DC4-7F30-4BEF-84FC-AEA133B27C7F.jpeg
    31E69DC4-7F30-4BEF-84FC-AEA133B27C7F.jpeg
    727.8 KB · Views: 224
Not sure what’s going on with this…maybe burs in the throat? Cleaned it and still the issue persists
Is that a hole in your brass? You gotta send that thing back to springfield

Is that a hole in your brass? You gotta send that thing back to springfield
No not a hole, just a sharpie mark noting where the small gouges are. Look directly above and you’ll see little chew marks like there’s something in the throat

No not a hole, just a sharpie mark noting where the small gouges are. Look directly above and you’ll see little chew marks like there’s something in the throat
Call springfield tomorrow and they should email you to prepaid shipping label to send it back

Call springfield tomorrow and they should email you to prepaid shipping label to send it back
Roger that. Pretty bummed. Rifle is a dime but needs a little finish work I guess

How many times did you cycle that one piece of brass through the action? It appears to have multiple marks across the neck and shoulder even.

How many times did you cycle that one piece of brass through the action? It appears to have multiple marks across the neck and shoulder even.
That piece of brass I started fresh with my test after cleaning. Cycled it once, found the gouges, and marked with a sharpie. Flipped it upside down and cycled again, marked again. Did this to see which part of the throat was marring the case. Appears to be the top end

I'm starting to think springfield sucks at cutting chambers. Between the wife and I we have three springfield guns. A .45 1911, 9mm 1911 and an ar10 .308 obviously. The 45 never gave me any real trouble but the other two have really tight chambers. No gouges on the brass or anything but plenty of stuck cases in the 9mm and the 308 that fire just fine in every other gun we have.

Saw one in Cheyenne at the local gun shop, don't live there and I don't know the name of it over Thanksgiving, they had a couple.

They were $1850-1950 somewhere in there. I don't remember.

If you price it out.

$550 stock
$650 barrel
$150 trigger
$500 action
$150 bottom metal
$100 muzzle brake
Profit is pretty tight on it.

But if they throw a piece of steel in a CNC machine and they have their coding right, and their quality control good it ought to be a hell of a rifle for that price.

Action felt a lot nicer than the Christensens I have previously owned.

I'll probably scoop one.

Update is that the stainless fluted barrels and adjustable stocks will be hitting GS mid February. The actions are barreled waiting on stocks from AG...
GS? Looking for one and only found a single (severely) overpriced model on gunbroker...

Has anyone seen one? I want to build a NRL hunter/PRS Factory rifle and seasons coming!

I posted this on one of the other threads on the Waypoint. I love mine. This required no effort--groups were a tad bigger, (.5") with the heavier factory loads. Not even close to fully broken in. I bought it specifically for the shorter barrel for field use/coyote calling/hunting, so the 20" barrel was perfect with the Omega 36M can on the end. I found it in December on Guns.com, but I did pay full retail.

thumbnail_Ballistic-X-Export-2021-12-17 170627.215008.jpg

Still waiting on mine..... pre-ordered back in October of 2019....... my dealer called springfield a few weeks ago and said another 3-6 months for the fully loaded 6.5 creedmoor version. My suppressor I ordered in Jan of last year got out of jail before my rifle. Springfield Is insane. Would have gone another route if I knew it was going to take this long. Over 2k spent on something I don't even have. SMH

Still waiting on mine..... pre-ordered back in October of 2019....... my dealer called springfield a few weeks ago and said another 3-6 months for the fully loaded 6.5 creedmoor version. My suppressor I ordered in Jan of last year got out of jail before my rifle. Springfield Is insane. Would have gone another route if I knew it was going to take this long. Over 2k spent on something I don't even have. SMH
I gave up and bought a MPR... too bad they do this, I am sure in the long run, they lost a bunch of sales.

I gave up and bought a MPR... too bad they do this, I am sure in the long run, they lost a bunch of sales.
Yeah I want to give up on the rifle too but my FFL won't cancel the order unless they discontinue the rifle. He said he had a guy wait almost 2 years one time....

I looked on their site an it stated that they are no longer doing the iop at this time. I was interested in one but it seems like a pain to get one. I ended up with a Seekins ph2 in 6.5prc.

Is there anything special about this rifle/ It's got a really weird carbon... something'd... barrel that just looks like a really poor design. If the point of a carbon barrel is to cut weight, keep rigidity and improve cooling, I don't see how you get that by pushing a pre-formed sleeve over a heavily fluted barrel and trapping insulating air chambers in there. And then you have Springfield to fall back on if your gun has issues. Seems like a cool gun. The barrel seems like a terrible idea.

So far I have had no stringing. Can't say that for my CA carbon. You can't build a rifle with a carbon stock. Quality rec, dbm, trigger tech and guaranteed barrel for anywhere near the 1450? LGS price. Mine outshoots or shoots comparable to pretty much all my custom builds. They really did hit this one out. Let's see if quality control can keep on track with demand getting higher.

Reactions: UpSideDown