• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

We had an encounter yesterday. He knows I'm after him, believe that. Gonna have to go next level I'm afraid. Chipper, you in trouble Son. ☹
Quick answer Aquila Colibri. You won't need any silicone. Follow up shot, maybe. Blue Jays piss me off so they get a steady diet of them.

• Haha
Reactions: tnichols and 1J04
Did some bacon over the last couple days. Fried some up this morning and it was good but don’t think I brined it long enough and smoked it with the wrong wood. I used cherry. Think next time I will use hickory and brine it for a couple more days.
A0CEDD0C-2591-42C3-A121-693C0ED67E46.jpeg

Did some bacon over the last couple days. Fried some up this morning and it was good but don’t think I brined it long enough and smoked it with the wrong wood. I used cherry. Think next time I will use hickory and brine it for a couple more days.
View attachment 7211854

That looks awesome...never thought about making my own bacon

That looks awesome...never thought about making my own bacon
It really wasn’t that hard to do. I used a wet brine like my buddy’s dad does and I don’t think I got the tender quick (curing salt) brown sugar mix right. Also I think I need to smoke it with hickory instead of cherry. Oh well, still taste pork ?

Reactions: 1J04 and Barneybdb
So I fired up the smoker about a week ago and did a big brisket. Then I had to freeze it because it was for a family dinner this weekend. We warmed it up today in the juices that it dripped out when it cooked and it was amazing!! The crumbling you see is because the knife I was given to cut it up with was not as sharp as I would have liked. Here’s the pics, enjoy:
CC23C8B2-E4C7-474E-A40C-ABBB27C5A3A3.jpeg
D5F807F3-5A8D-4EE9-9625-251E29AB32AC.jpeg

5D071C88-D897-4057-80DC-661C5E4124AC.jpeg
015D9D9C-7C33-402E-80E1-D803F547C373.jpeg
1740AF20-691A-4D19-B196-2DFE583B5248.jpeg

I remember many ears ago we lost a leg of 460.......went out to look at one of the transformers, and sure enough, there was a dead squirrel .........with one fuse blown........

Reactions: 1J04 and Barneybdb
The Mrs made some Beanies for some of my Hide Brothers. @Dewey7271 , bless his heart, sent some xmas goodies back my way. Omaha Steaks, Taters, n Veggies! It was phenomenal! My Wife was impressed with the melt in your mouth Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignons!

Thank you Brother! That was a class act!

20200104_192945.jpg
20200104_202529.jpg
20200104_202640.jpg
20200104_203612.jpg

I visit HQ once a month in Los Angeles and they eat toast with avocado spread (not Guacamole) for breakfast. I need to give it a try. Probably would be really good on a BLT, especially if the may had a little spice to it.

explosive flatulence on a plain such a vindictive bastard you are sir .(y)(y)(y)god bless

First BBQ in my new smoker. Beef short ribs seemed like the right choice.

4AB64ACD-BFE2-4E05-9436-77A7C54D920F.jpeg
66C4528B-00BF-4ECE-BA7E-1663DA430BD9.jpeg
93595F89-299D-41F5-9438-9F3BB6E46907.jpeg

8 1/2 hour smoke at 225, with Black Cherry wood from a tree I cut and seasoned. They turned out way better than I expected (new smoker and I haven’t been smoking that long). Just short of fall of the bone, fantastic bark. Made my own rub, too.

those beef short ribs just gave me a food chub. seriously mouth is watering....... Nice work!

I thought of looking for Oak pieces for smoking when home in IA. My buddy has a lot of them on his place that either lose big limbs or come down due to dying or whatnot. Be nice to chunk some up to use. even better when smoking one of his briskets!

My son had me come over to work in gun room and help with some steaks.

Spoiler alert, get a drool rag.

He decided to splurge.

Resized_20200111_100744.jpeg

They were on sale about 1/2 price so when they drug out a whole rib section he said wrap it dont cut it.

Resized_20200111_101122.jpeg

20 lbs, time to cut. Deckel off, meaty ribs cut out and then nice thick steaks.

Resized_20200111_114715.jpeg

Trimmings tossed in a skillet for a treat.
Steaks individually seasoned and marinated per order vacuum sealed for overnight.

That young man has his stuff togeather.

Only 3 species of giant salamanders - 1 Japan, 1 China and our rare Hellbender. I've caught/released a few on Nantahala NF.
Mudpuppy is what they’re called a little northeast of there.

I have a food saver 2200 works good.
Its in the 90$ range.

The 50$ range is not as good and will not last long.
The ones with all the fancy attachments dont seem to get used much.

A second tier standard machine is what has served us well for many years.
Imho

Funny you should ask my son had me bring my food saver because his with all the fancy attachments died.

We shit-canned our 'foodsaver' brand item, and upgraded to a (similar cost) Cabela's machine that is ELEVENTY times better. It works better, is easier to clean, is faster, AND the best part is there is SO MUCH less 'thrown away' bag material.

I'm sure foodsaver (company) purchases a new airport a day with all the excess 'bag' material designed into their process. The biggest difference that changing brands did for us, is nearly doubled our 'bag waste' problem.

Some of ya'll will get that. And the rest will be telling me/us to 'go be poor somewhere else', I know. ;)

Reactions: Odysseus1911
We shit-canned our 'foodsaver' brand item, and upgraded to a (similar cost) Cabela's machine that is ELEVENTY times better. It works better, is easier to clean, is faster, AND the best part is there is SO MUCH less 'thrown away' bag material.

I'm sure foodsaver (company) purchases a new airport a day with all the excess 'bag' material designed into their process. The biggest difference that changing brands did for us, is nearly doubled our 'bag waste' problem.

Some of ya'll will get that. And the rest will be telling me/us to 'go be poor somewhere else', I know. ;)

There are multiple Foodsaver models. The thing I like about these machines is buying them from Costco. I usually get 3 years out of mine since we use them so much. When it breaks, we bring it back to Costco and we get a new one. Perpetual motion is great

Last edited:
Reactions: Barneybdb
Saturday evening.

20200111_193704.jpg

That little tick covered bitch was black as hell when I shot her.
Come to find out, she was covered in mud.

Today, a few minutes after I put her on the smoker.

20200114_141656.jpg

5 hours later.
Gonna wrap it in an hour and see where it takes it.
Just basted it with Coke because I ran out of Dr Pepper.

20200114_151107.jpg

Should be good.