• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

20200410_080227.jpg
20200410_080227.jpg

Ok, I'm gonna have to take a stab here and say it looks to me like some babybacks, some St Louis, a pork butt up top and a few dino (beef) ribs, amiright? What you got them dino ribs rubbed with? Doesn't look like regular old S&P or SPG rub, did you use the same rub as on the pork?

Here's what I've got going on today... Good Friday is now Good Pork Friday at my house.

1586544071786.png

Pork belly 3 ways.

Up top is plain old central Texas style S&P.
Bottom right is Meathead's Memphis Dust (amped with a little Tony Chachere's and a smidge of cumin and celery seed). This will be finished wrapped with some Tiger Sauce.
Bottom left is a cobbled-together marinade concoction of some Asian garlic chili (a little hotter than sriracha) paste, hot honey, soy, ginger and a little rice vinegar.

Made these for some coworkers the other day.... folks at a local nursing home who have done a stellar job keeping their facility infection-free for the last month - nursing home staff don't ever get enough credit for the work they do.

1586544300629.png

I like to BBQ. :D

You are right about NH staff.

My grandma was in one for years, completely unable to care for herself. She had Alzheimers and a body that wouldnt quit.
Never a bed sore. Not a one.

Nice work taking care of them.

Reactions: tnichols
Maybe a little different idea of NOM NOM NOM

5D39EC5F-702A-4205-8583-94CE0BC88D89.jpeg

Apparently someone got some new Lulu lemon running shorts and thought I needed to see. no complaints

And she thinks I run behind her because I am slow....

And I will say, this doesnt really do it justice. At all.

We made (box gumbo) last nite.

1 lb shrimp, half a lb venison smoked sausage and a box of Zaterans gumbo mix.
Not bad for a 30 minute meal at last moment. My wife had to pick out the sausage pieces because of lent.

Takes me 2 hours + to make real gumbo.

We made (box gumbo) last nite.

1 lb shrimp, half a lb venison smoked sausage and a box of Zaterans gumbo mix.
Not bad for a 30 minute meal at last moment. My wife had to pick out the sausage pieces because of lent.

Takes me 2 hours + to make real gumbo.
For the last couple years at hunt camp I made box gumbo. Amongst other goodies. This Year I thought no more box crap and made it the right way, from scratch. Now my hunting buddies know what real gumbo tastes like.
The box is quick and convenient, but it ain't gumbo.

Reactions: Snuby642
For the last couple years at hunt camp I made box gumbo. Amongst other goodies. This Year I thought no more box crap and made it the right way, from scratch. Now my hunting buddies know what real gumbo tastes like.
The box is quick and convenient, but it ain't gumbo.

Yes box gumbo is not the real deal.
I totally agree with that.

It was a quick fix at 9PM to a long day.

I love a good long cooked gumbo, traditionaly made.

I was tought how without mesuring any thing. It's just technique and tradition here, the real cajun deal.

My mentor would not let me measure or write anything down during lessons, same as they were taught.

This was south of the ditch cooking if you know about that.

Reactions: jungle45
I will after a nite of sleep share an epic fail for supper tonight.

Such a disappointment.

It was a marathon of food. No pics ?

Yesterday was my mom’s birthday.

So we started in the afternoon with some guacamole and margaritas.
Guac is home made with chopped onion and tomatoes, some just perfect avocados, and a blend of cumin, garlic (fresh chopped and granules), fresh cut cilantro, and a pinch of cayenne. Also use a pinch of adobo smoked peppers some times.

Then I topped, but lengthways and cleaned/deseeded some jalapeños.
I took about 4 oz of cream cheese I had sitting out for 3 hrs to soften and mixed in some granulated garlic and onion powder.
Filled the pepper halves with cream cheese and wrapped each with a full strip of bacon.
Baked for 35 min on 350 , then topped with a little shredded cheese to melt in.
One, use a little more cream cheese, as 4 oz was barely right for 10 halved jalapeños.
They had to bake a little long due to the next item they were sharing oven space with.
The were just perfect.

Started before all this was a sizable bone in chuck roast all seasoned up baking covered (mom’s choice) in my large cast iron skillet.
This was served with a nice gravy from the drippings and mashed potatoes.
No veggie. Mom said she was so full of the other stuff (we started eating/drinking around 1400) she just wanted meat and potatoes.

Topped the night off with a Turtle ice cream cake from the local ice cream shop.

Terrible I tells ya.

Cold and snowing here now after 68F yesterday.
Gonna make a giant batch of stew.......

Reactions: Barneybdb
Flavor was not as good as expected and instead of frying I baked them so texture was leathery.

My wife makes traditional egg rolls that are better than any in the restaurant's we have ever got, and we like Asian food often.

It was an experiment that won't be repeated.

My wife would make dozens of egg rolls for gatherings and people would line up.

Have ex gi friends of our sons scateted around the country some up north and when they hit town they want my BBQ our fajitas and the wifes egg rolls.

We don't even bother with the fried rice much anymore just a ton of rolls and my concoction of dipping sauce.

I was also going to try BBQ egg rolls, not anymore.

Yes box gumbo is not the real deal.
I totally agree with that.

It was a quick fix at 9PM to a long day.

I love a good long cooked gumbo, traditionaly made.

I was tought how without mesuring any thing. It's just technique and tradition here, the real cajun deal.

My mentor would not let me measure or write anything down during lessons, same as they were taught.

This was south of the ditch cooking if you know about that.
I’m a northerner, not familiar with south of the ditch cooking
Nothing gets measured- except to make the roux.
Last year at camp for the big drive day I made ahuge pot of venison chili, ribs, gumbo, jalapeno and cheddar cornbread. It’s a long day of cooking, but it pays off when you overhear a couple guys agree it was some of the best eats they ever had.
Yea the cook got drunk that nite

Ok, you guys. Ya gotta stop with the beautiful food pix and fine libations pix already. 24 days stuck in the house, trying to decide when they let us out, should I go to Weight Watchers or AA first?

42 fuckin' pages to this thread? Tell you what, guys -- we all need to get out of the house!