• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

Some simple breakfast today. Onions, diced ham, scrambled eggs, and some asiago cheese toast. Accompanied with a cup of whole milk.
E5618D4D-BAE8-423B-B4D1-A35DA6355B3D.jpeg
133BB030-3752-4047-B03D-ACE18F8F250F.jpeg

Today's peppers for Green Chicken Enchiladas:
Jalapeno, mini bells, guero, serrano, chilipenes, ordano, red hot and habenero.

(yes, cherry tomatoes in the background)

CIMG1398.JPG

Reactions: roostercogburn98
I don't like cherry peppers.
Grew some once that were so hot they literally knocked a Mexican off the back of a garbage truck.

My wife was in the back yard and truck worker asked if he could have some from our garden, she got him a sack.

I saw this and he put one in his mouth. By the time I ran out the front door with a glass of milk he fell off the truck into the street.

Not sure what they may have crossed with, possibly some of the unidentified papers in the garden that were better suited for the defense industry.

I don't like cherry peppers.
Grew some once that were so hot they literally knocked a Mexican off the back of a garbage truck.

My wife was in the back yard and truck worker asked if he could have some from our garden, she got him a sack.

I saw this and he put one in his mouth. By the time I ran out the front door with a glass of milk he fell off the truck into the street.

Not sure what they may have crossed with, possibly some of the unidentified papers in the garden that were better suited for the defense industry.
I dated this girl who when she came to Arizona was told jalapenos tasted just like pickles.......

......by her brother.....

...you know it had to be hard to get her to put anything in her mouth after that.....

...but trust me.....

Let me send you some red hot peppers....

....tame enough for a wedo

These days, raw I stick to the mild stuff. Jalapeno, serrano, poblanos and the like. I don't like the sweet taste of habanero.

Ass can't take much more pounding.

Reactions: tomcatmv
These days, raw I stick to the mild stuff. Jalapeno, serrano, poblanos and the like. I don't like the sweet taste of habanero.

Ass can't take much more pounding.
The red hots are waaaay milder than any of those.

trust me

Not super chili, but a good cold weather eatin. Ground elk chili tonight in the slow cooker. Snack time includes some local made sharp cheddar, and local made dried meats.
B19AA369-D39A-4948-A6DC-E7D46D5C1497.jpeg
E53B9CE0-5166-4A2E-9C9A-260F3C084F25.jpeg

Reactions: DIBBS and Jim Out
Hamburger again, ok.

Quick fix
Burger, 4 slices of thick bacon chopped, half of small chopped onion, can of hatch chillies and your favorite spices.

Get your hands messy.
20220120_193006.jpg

Patty melt and extras pressed into patties for the freezer.

20220120_230009.jpg

CHILI

Here's my Chili recipe----Like all things worth the time and effort, there's an undeclared religion around it.
I'll preface this diatribe with the caveats that:
1. I grew up in Texas-spent a lot of time in the Hill Country and did the pilgrimage to Terlingua.
2. My family took the basic recipe from wick fowler's 2-Alarm chili when me moved to Spain in 1972 and converted a lot of Castilian punks into shit-kicker wearing, lost souls.
3. I've modified it, a lot. If it's not to your liking, modify it until it is.

Ingredients​

• 2 pounds ground beef OR turkey Or wild game of your choice

Spice Mix​

• 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika- the Spanish stuff- sweet or smoked, you decide
  • 2 tablespoons masa harina - as a thickening agent
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh onion (2 teaspoons dehydrated onion if you can get fresh)
  • 3 cloves minced fresh garlic (1/2 to 1 teaspoon dehydrated garlic as an alternate)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 cup chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 8 ounces tomato sauce
  • 16 ounces water or Shiner Bock or Negro Modelo
Here's where I deviate from the 2Alarm base,

When the ingredients are all combined and simmering, I add one jar of Doña Maria's Mole sauce (better if you make the mole sauce from scratch with dried peppers-but that's another post). One half to one whole disk of Ibarra Mexican chocolate (grated) and one or two cans of pinto beans.....if you dont like beans....then dont add them.

Instructions​

• Brown the beef in a large pot or dutch oven. Drain fat, or don't.
  • Add the garlic and onion and simmer
  • Add the spices (with the exception of the masa) and stir in thoroughly.
  • Add tomato sauce and water/beer.
  • Reduce temperature to simmer.
  • Add the Mole, chocolate
  • Add the beans , or dont
  • Simmer for about 30 minutes. If you want to thicken the chili, mix the masa in a 1/4 cup of hot water. Stir the masa until smooth. Pour the masa mixture into the chili. Cook until the chili thickens and serve over cornbread.....or don't.
  • Top with a decent cheese or your choosing and some diced up red onions....or don't.

Last edited:
CHILI

Here's my Chili recipe----Like all things worth the time and effort, there's an undeclared religion around it.
I'll preface this diatribe with the caveats that:
1. I grew up in Texas-spent a lot of time in the Hill Country and did the pilgrimage to Terlingua.
2. My family took the basic recipe from wick fowler's 2-Alarm chili when me moved to Spain in 1972 and converted a lot of Castilian punks into shit-kicker wearing, lost souls.
3. I've modified it, a lot. If it's not to your liking, modify it until it is.

Ingredients​

• 2 pounds ground beef OR turkey Or wild game of your choice

Spice Mix​

• 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika- the Spanish stuff- sweet or smoked, you decide
  • 2 tablespoons masa harina - as a thickening agent
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh onion (2 teaspoons dehydrated onion if you can get fresh)
  • 3 cloves minced fresh garlic (1/2 to 1 teaspoon dehydrated garlic as an alternate)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 cup chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 8 ounces tomato sauce
  • 16 ounces water or Shiner Bock or Negro Modelo
Here's where I deviate from the 2Alarm base,

When the ingredients are all combined and simmering, I add one jar of Doña Maria's Mole sauce (better if you make the mole sauce from scratch with dried peppers-but that's another post). One half to one whole disk of Ibarra Mexican chocolate (grated) and one or two cans of pinto beans.....if you dont like beans....then dont add them.

Instructions​

• Brown the beef in a large pot or dutch oven. Drain fat, or don't.
  • Add the garlic and onion and simmer
  • Add the spices (with the exception of the masa) and stir in thoroughly.
  • Add tomato sauce and water/beer.
  • Reduce temperature to simmer.
  • Add the Mole, chocolate
  • Add the beans , or dont
  • Simmer for about 30 minutes. If you want to thicken the chili, mix the masa in a 1/4 cup of hot water. Stir the masa until smooth. Pour the masa mixture into the chili. Cook until the chili thickens and serve over cornbread.....or don't.
  • Top with a decent cheese or your choosing and some diced up red onions....or don't.
Wow that sounds fantastic.

Chili with mole and chocolate sounds just incredible.

That's some incredible fusion!!!!

We go through a lot of regular Doña Maria's mole and their pumpkin green mole.

Haven't had the Ibarra chocolate, we usually use the Girardelli's dark chips or just Hershey's cocoa powder.

(that reminds me we have some home made truffles made from just the cocoa powder, heavy cream and a touch of sugar).....
....strike that, I am now informed that the truffles
....disappeared into the Sheila....
:cautious:

Can't wait for the scratch mole recipe.

Last edited:
MOLE POBLANO, THE RIGHT WAY

The following recipe makes a ton of mole- they claim 12 servings - it can be frozen up to 6 Mos.

INGREDIENTS
  1. 16 dried mulato chilies
  2. 20 dried pasilla negro chilies
  3. 10 dried ancho chilies
  4. 14 dried chipotle chilies
  5. 4 dried puya chilies -I USUALLY LEAVE THESE OUT, THEY'RE HOT - RING OF FIRE WARNING
  6. 1½ cups corn oil, divided- or lard, if you swing that way
  7. 1 teaspoon white vinegar
  8. 2 large plum tomatoes - like Romas
  9. ½ medium onion- I use a sweet variety
  10. 6 cloves garlic, peeled, divided
  11. ¼ teaspoon coriander seeds
  12. ¼ teaspoon anise seeds
  13. 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds- like pepitas
  14. ¾ teaspoon black peppercorns
  15. 2 whole cloves
  16. ½ cup sesame seeds, toasted, divided
  17. 1 stick cinnamon- or Mexican canella
  18. 1 corn tortilla as a thickener
  19. ¼ bolillo roll, sliced crosswise in 4 slices-a thick slice of egg bread or 2 Hawaiian rolls work too
  20. ¼ ripe plantain, sliced - A PLANTAIN,NOT A FUCKING BANANA
  21. ¼ cup shelled raw peanuts
  22. 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon blanched almonds
  23. 1/3 cup raisins
  24. Leaves from 1 sprig thyme
  25. 1 sprig Italian parsley
  26. 2 tablespoons kosher salt, divided
  27. 2 tablets Mexican Ibarra chocolate, or 6 ounces dark chocolate, CHOPPED-FIND THE IBARRA
  28. ½ to 1 cup sugar, add more when it's done -according to taste
  29. Chicken stock can sub for the water and can be used to thin the final product.

COOKING INSTRUCTIONS

1. The day before making the mole, remove the stems and seeds from the chilies; rinse the chilies and pat dry. Reserve ¾ teaspoon of the seeds and set aside. Heat ½ cup oil in a large skillet, add the chilies (in batches if necessary) and fry until glossy, about four minutes. You can also select not to fry the chilies and just soak the. Place in a Dutch oven. Cover with 10 cups hot water, add the vinegar and let stand overnight.

2. The next day (or several hours later), drain the chilies and reserve the soaking liquid- or use chicken broth from now on.....Working in batches, place the drained chilies in a blender. Add enough soaking liquid /broth to blend them smoothly. Repeat with the remaining chilies and set the mixture aside. This makes about eight cups.

3. Cut the tomatoes in half lengthwise. Do not peel them before or after roasting. Slice the onion crosswise into 1-inch-thick pieces. Roast the tomatoes, sliced onion and 2 cloves of garlic in an ungreased skillet over medium-high heat until spotted with brown. Set aside.

4. Add the coriander seeds, anise seeds, pepitas, reserved chile seeds, peppercorns, cloves, ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons of the sesame seeds and cinnamon stick to the skillet and roast just until fragrant, about one minute. Transfer to another bowl.

5. Add ½ cup oil to the skillet. When the oil is hot, fry the tortilla, then the bolillo/ bread/roll slices, until they're crisp and the bread slices are golden. Remove and drain on a paper towel. Fry the plantain slices until golden and softened. Remove with a slotted spoon. Set aside.

6. ROAST the peanuts, almonds and raisins IN A PAN for about one minute until almonds and peanuts are well-browned. ADD A LITTLE OIL IF NECESSARY. ROAST the seeds and spices toasted in step four for 30 seconds. TRANSFER THESE TO A PAPER TOWEL IF THEY'RE OILY .

7. Heat the remaining ½ cup oil in a Dutch oven. Add the puréed chile mixture and enough of the reserved soaking liquid to keep the puréed mixture from erupting like a volcano when it simmers. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often.

8. Add the fried cinnamon stick to the puréed chile mixture. In a blender, combine the rest of the spices, seeds, nuts and raisins. Grind with enough chile soaking liquid to purée. Add to the chile mixture.

9. Grind the reserved roasted tomatoes, onions and garlic cloves, the thyme leaves and the parsley sprig in the blender with enough chile soaking liquid to purée, then add to the Dutch oven.

10. Crumble the fried tortilla into small pieces. Place the BREAD BITS , tortilla pieces and plantain slices in the blender with 1 tablespoon of the salt. Add enough soaking liquid to blend. Add this to the Dutch oven. Add the chopped chocolate and stir until dissolved. Add sugar to taste.

11. Stir constantly over medium heat until the sauce thickens to the desired consistency and becomes very dark. STRAIN THIS MIXTURE THROUGH A FINE SIEVE , in batches if necessary, and return to a clean pot. Failure to strain the sauce will result in an unpleasant texture filled with flecks of chile skin. Place the sauce over low heat. Discard remaining chile soaking liquid. Makes 10 cups of sauce.

12. Use chicken stock to thin the sauce as necessary

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: theLBC and Jim Out
Had a hankerin' for my mom's cheesy potatoes today. I think the last time I had this was 30+ years ago when I was still a kid. I sent her and my sisters a text message about what kind of cheese to use, and if any other stuff needed to be added...mom replied almost instantly; "CALL me". So I did and she told me how to do it.

Easy, and delicious:

Red potatoes (washed/skin on), shredded (salad master makes quick work of this) and rinsed to wash away starch. Drain water with cullender.

In pan, add washed potatoes, 1/8 cup of water, cover potatoes with quality American cheese slices. Simmer (covered) until cheese starts to bubble, stir until cheese and potatoes are well mixed, add more cheese if needed. Salt and pepper to taste.

Mom's cheesy potatoes.jpg

Last edited:
Woke up to a house filled with myself. Had some ham pieces laying around, so decided to give my go at red eye gravy.

Two cups of black coffee, a touch of brown sugar(add pepper when done if wanted), and let it simmer for about 20 minutes. Sift in flour to desired thickness. I was to lazy to make homemade biscuits, so store bought they were. Not bad eatin
D7E8FE9A-47BD-4033-B056-4DD2A6554B1C.jpeg
8706246B-1757-4CBD-AE04-7B9E34411213.jpeg
D4B5BD81-3D2C-4CBF-8963-3558731686F1.jpeg

Mom and I went to Costco on Monday, found they had some boneless beef loins that had an out date of 2-10-22 on sale.

They had strip steaks in the regular meat case, with the same out date for $17.99 lb.

The whole loins were $8.69 lb. The following pictures are what I had for supper tonight.........

IMG_2399.jpg
IMG_2400.jpg

Steak, sweet tater, some veggies..........

Mom and I went to Costco on Monday, found they had some boneless beef loins that had an out date of 2-10-22 on sale.

They had strip steaks in the regular meat case, with the same out date for $17.99 lb.

The whole loins were $8.69 lb. The following pictures are what I had for supper tonight.........
Strip steak for $17.99/#? Blame the poors, they figure out how to make cheap cuts delicious, and the price skyrockets.

Whole loin for $8.69/# isn't horrible right now, but it's still high. Guarantee the ranchers aren't getting paid for the inflated prices. Meat packers and grocery stores are the ones jacking it up...mostly meat packers.

Reactions: tomcatmv
So, are you saying strip steaks are cheap cuts? There are only two cuts from a beef that I would rate above the strip steaks, filet, and rib eye............your opinion ..................

Last edited:
Ribeye, skirt steak and briskets.
Cube up and or grind the rest of that shit.

Fillet has no flavor, strip is chewy.

• Love
Reactions: Marinevet1
So, are you saying strip steaks are cheap cuts? There are only two cuts from a beef that I would rate above the strip steaks, filet, and rib eye............your opinion ..................
I damn sure wouldn't rate strip steak double the price of loin.

I dated this girl who when she came to Arizona was told jalapenos tasted just like pickles.......

......by her brother.....

...you know it had to be hard to get her to put anything in her mouth after that.....

...but trust me.....

Let me send you some red hot peppers....

....tame enough for a wedo
What's What's wedo? Like a Güero?

Bought pack of Costco prime ribeyes when they had a $15/off per pack special before covid. Good marketing, because I've been buying them since.

Thanks. I'm going to give it a shot.
It’s a great recipe. Depending on how salty you like it I would cure for 6 days rather then the full 7 days. My cure was simple. I did Insta-cure number 1( follow the instructions, 1 tsp per 5 pounds of meat), salt, brown sugar, pepper (which I don’t think was needed) and honey. Instead of honey I would do maple syrup. Make sure before you smoke it to cut off a test piece and fry it to check salt level. I had to soak mine in water for a hour to knock it down a bit. All and all of the first time it came out great.
82C0D4D4-4EE6-4444-9C29-ECFE90531310.jpeg
FE6AFF4C-B621-4344-AB5E-51DD886F8DB6.png

I damn sure wouldn't rate strip steak double the price of loin.
I will try to make this easy for you, Go to your local butcher.............tell him you want a Porterhouse steak, tell him you want it 2" thick............when brings it to you, tell him you would rather have a strip, and a fillet.............let me know what he does.............your dog will love the bone.............

Loin, short loin, strip loin cuts​

These are usually leaner cuts of beef, best grilled or fried, and work better with high heat. It’s the T-Bone and Porterhouse Steaks, the Tenderloins, cuts of meat that respond better to dry heat cooking. For a primordial recipe where nothing gets in the way of the flavour of the meat, learn how to cook beef tenderloin on a bed of salt in a searing hot pan.

Loin cuts

Last edited:
I will try to make this easy for you, Go to your local butcher.............tell him you want a Porterhouse steak, tell him you want it 2" thick............when brings it to you, tell him you would rather have a strip, and a fillet.............let me know what he does.............your dog will love the bone.............

<snip>​

I grew up on a cattle ranch, and I know what cuts of meat are what. I also know how to judge different cuts of meat. If you're not a professional butcher, you have zero to teach me...I've probably forgotten more in the last 30 years than you will ever know. Nice try though.

• Haha
Reactions: Marinevet1
Strip = large side of loin........filet = small side...........I cut meat for a while, also worked in the beef processing industry for a few years............

strip steak is the loin........prove me wrong.........

Strip = large side of loin........filet = small side...........I cut meat for a while, also worked in the beef processing industry for a few years............

strip steak is the loin........prove me wrong.........
I don't need to prove you wrong, you did that on your own. Loin is the muscle on top of the rib cage (spine), strip steak is the other side of a T-bone. Tenderloin (fillet) is from inside the rib cage, on the underside of the spine.

Next you're going to tell us the brisket comes from the bottom of the neck. While, not COMPLETELY wrong, it's below the base of the neck, between the front shoulders.

yea, I know where the brisket comes from..........

The loin is not on top of the rib cage............it is inside the rib cage......and you are right.....the loin is one side of a T- bone, but when you get closer to the front, you know, the end that eats, you get another muscle that starts, on the other side of the bone, which is by the way, is a rib, and half of the spine. That muscle is the tenderloin...........cut right you get a porterhouse..........strip and filet at the same time.

Closer to the end that eats, on a loin, you will get what we called, 40-50 years ago a sirloin steak.......... I could go on and on .........when I cut meat there was nothing but front, and hind quarters...........and I could break them down, and give you any cut of meat that you wanted.

Once again your quote was, I damn sure wouldn't rate strip steak double the price of loin.

A strip steak is from the loin..........as is a filet.......this is inside the ribcage.......the only thing on the other side would be a nice layer of fat, and the hide............

yea, I know where the brisket comes from..........

The loin is not on top of the rib cage............it is inside the rib cage......and you are right.....the loin is one side of a T- bone, but when you get closer to the front, you know, the end that eats, you get another muscle that starts, on the other side of the bone, which is by the way, is a rib, and half of the spine. That muscle is the tenderloin...........cut right you get a porterhouse..........strip and filet at the same time.

Closer to the end that eats, on a loin, you will get what we called, 40-50 years ago a sirloin steak.......... I could go on and on .........when I cut meat there was nothing but front, and hind quarters...........and I could break them down, and give you any cut of meat that you wanted.

Once again your quote was, I damn sure wouldn't rate strip steak double the price of loin.

A strip steak is from the loin..........as is a filet.......this is inside the ribcage.......the only thing on the other side would be a nice layer of fat, and the hide............
Just admit when you're wrong. for fucks sakes, you claim to be a meat cutter, and don't know the difference between "LOIN" and "TENDERLOIN". Strip steak is not fucking LOIN. The loin doesn't go down the side of the rib cage, it it on top of the rib cage. Strip steak goes down the side. Who are you trying to convince? You probably think marbling is bad, because "too much fat". Time to add you to the ignore button. Have a nice day.

Just admit when you're wrong. for fucks sakes, you claim to be a meat cutter, and don't know the difference between "LOIN" and "TENDERLOIN". Strip steak is not fucking LOIN. The loin doesn't go down the side of the rib cage, it it on top of the rib cage. Strip steak goes down the side. Who are you trying to convince? You probably think marbling is bad, because "too much fat". Time to add you to the ignore button. Have a nice day.
A strip is the large site of a porterhouse, a filet is the smaller side...........the only pearson I am trying is to convince is you.

I am done arguing with you about this.........

I was in bed thinking about this, and realized I am wrong.

The loin is on the outside of the ribcage, the filet on the inside.

I apologize for my mistake, but still stand on my claim that a strip steak is not a cheap cut.

Another 10.5 pounds of pork belly. Just got it in a cure of salt, pink salt, brown sugar, pepper and maple syrup. Will be smoking it Sunday. Curious on how the maple syrup will be on it.
D474A9B5-FFC0-4067-A369-B1A1F2ADFFFA.jpeg