• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

Loosely based on this recipe, of course I used more of the good stuff, bacon, butter, cream. Start with this, and make it your own........

Thanks you. My wife wants me to make it. Mucho butter and bacon always!

Follow, don't follow, what they do. I don't, but the basics of what these two ways of doing Enchiladas is a great starting point to add or subtract from your own taste. These are the 2 Vids that inspired these dishes.

Follow, don't follow, what they do. I don't, but the basics of what these two ways of doing Enchiladas is a great starting point to add or subtract from your own taste. These are the 2 Vids that inspired these dishes.

I cook a tremendous amount of Mexican food, and these videos have always been a great starting point.

Loosely based on this recipe, of course I used more of the good stuff, bacon, butter, cream. Start with this, and make it your own........

Do I see some celery and carrots in there? I like a good tater soup, we grew up on it, veggie soup with a big old beef bone thrown in it, and chicken and dumplings (ribbon) we weren't poor but raised on a farm and my mom was the best cook ever.

Birria Tacos and cranberry and vodka. Heartburn here I come😆
IMG_20211218_123215908.jpg

Do I see some celery and carrots in there? I like a good tater soup, we grew up on it, veggie soup with a big old beef bone thrown in it, and chicken and dumplings (ribbon) we weren't poor but raised on a farm and my mom was the best cook ever.
Yes, there are 3 stalks of celery, I simmered it in a sauce pan in chicken broth until al dente , and added it after the mashing of about half the tators......no carrots, but you do you.........

Hard to beat a good farm cooked meal...........the family I worked for when I was growing up always had a full meal for lunch........

I learned to make gumbo in Louisiana and was taught the rules.

There are none.

This is how I was taught.

It always has onions, celery, bell pepper and a roux.

Seafood only has a light colored roux, chicken and sausage uses a darker roux and so on.

The rice is prepared separately and gumbo poured over it, not mixed together in the pot.

File' powder and okra are nice but not manditory and the file' powder is sprinkled on the rice when serving.

Don't boil meat that is allready cooked and don't over cook shrimp.

Hot sauce is mostly served on the side so fudds don't cry.

Best gumbo's I ever had were within eyesight of or below the ICW.
I was taught if it don't have okra, it ain't gumbo..... Words to live by I think

Yes, there are 3 stalks of celery, I simmered it in a sauce pan in chicken broth until al dente , and added it after the mashing of about half the tators......no carrots, but you do you.........

Hard to beat a good farm cooked meal...........the family I worked for when I was growing up always had a full meal for lunch........
Thanks and have a Merry Christmas!

Throw it in the smoker........maybe some curing in some sort of brine, salt, sugar, maple syrup, then the smoker.............still not bacon from Costco...........pork belly...........

Home cured bacon:

Mix a little Cure #1 aka Prague Powder #1, some salt, brown sugar, whatever spices (or not) =brine either dry or wet with water

7-14 days cure in the fridge. Flipping daily.

Soak for 1 hour to equalize salt (or not).

Let dry overnight

cold or hot smoke for a few hours.

Done. Its very easy, and the results are incredible. As are many things in the kitchen (and life), once you do it a few times, it becomes more natural.

If it's not cured it's pork belly and if it is we call that slab bacon.

Have some pork bellies in the freezer, going to smoke and candy it with BBQ sauce.

I like @SpringThom
recipie but hard to cold smoke in Texas and fridge room is scarse .

Had a nice cheese this evening.
Grand Noir.
Mild and creamy for a blue.

Reactions: Jim Out
If it's not cured it's pork belly and if it is we call that slab bacon.

Have some pork bellies in the freezer, going to smoke and candy it with BBQ sauce.

I like @SpringThom
recipie but hard to cold smoke in Texas and fridge room is scarse .

Had a nice cheese this evening.
Grand Noir.
Mild and creamy for a blue.

Snuby642

That cheese sounds wonderful.

You can hot smoke the bacon, or cold smoke. Both if you want.

With my Masterbuilt insulated smoker, some ice bottles, and a sun umbrella, I can cold smoke in triple digit weather. I'm kind of crazy like that though.. lol

Let me know if you want some tips on the setup. Its looks kind of weird, but results are results.

I strongly suggest trying the bacon curing on at least 1 of your bellies. It doesn't take much space. You don't have to use the Cure #1, but it makes for a longer shelf life. And just use your regular smoker/grill/whatever you have.

At the moment it's almost cold enough to cold smoke.

If I was going to do a long brine I think maybe a pork loin for Canadian bacon .

I never got why Canadian bacon was so expensive. Pork loin is fairly cheap most of the year.

I have cure #1 in the pantry.

That Grand Noir come to find out is from Bravaria. My wife got me a wedge of it and I ate half in one setting

Reactions: SpringThom
Well it's getting real now.

Son came by and said here cook this for Christmas eve dinner and walked out.

20211223_183843.jpg

24lbs worth of bone on ribeye.

Windstorm killed any idea of smoke, sorry so oven it is.

A little prep, get rid of membrane front and back since it's not being cut and cooked on sides.

20211223_185950.jpg

Season heavily and let rest at room temperature.
20211223_192255.jpg

Insert thermometer probes in each end . Run at 225f for ? 7 hrs.

Last edited:
Festivus dinner

The next part is "Feats of Strength", where I challenge my wife and the celebration is not over until she "pins the head of the household"...... ;)
The head of the household selects one person at the Festivus celebration and challenges them to a wrestling match. Tradition states Festivus is not over until the head of the household has been pinned.[3]

View attachment 7768187

View attachment 7768188
Good looking meatloaf.

About the same thing , raspberry chipotle sauce over the cream cheese.

I'm working on a variant. Not quite perfect yet.

Reactions: Odysseus1911
About the same thing , raspberry chipotle sauce over the cream cheese.

I'm working on a variant. Not quite perfect yet.
Do you make your own cream cheese?

We've been waffling over lemon vs white vinegar. Supposedly the vinegar is more consistent?

Reactions: Snuby642
I've made cream cheese (vinegar), and yoghurt. It was fine. The time and cleanup are not worth the effort, for me.

Also my own bacon and pancetta. It's most excellent but I eat so little of it, it's no longer worth the effort, for me living alone. If you do eat a lot of bacon, however, I HIGHLY recommend making your own, and slicing it thick (I have a meat slicer)..

I've made cream cheese (vinegar), and yoghurt. It was fine. The time and cleanup are not worth the effort, for me.

Also my own bacon and pancetta. It's most excellent but I eat so little of it, it's no longer worth the effort, for me living alone. If you do eat a lot of bacon, however, I HIGHLY recommend making your own, and slicing it thick (I have a meat slicer)..
I've looked at a lot of recipes and the quart jar method in the cooler sounds pretty easy, how did you make yours and did you use fresh milk or store-bought?

We have a meat slicer and a taste for an awesome lot of bacon, tell me more, please.

I saw the pork belly posts, my good welder and plasma cutter (Miller 250X analog) got stolen last 4th of July, so I can't build the smoker I want at the moment (sucks to live in this thieving communist hell).

• Sad
I've looked at a lot of recipes and the quart jar method in the cooler sounds pretty easy, how did you make yours and did you use fresh milk or store-bought?

We have a meat slicer and a taste for an awesome lot of bacon, tell me more, please.

I saw the pork belly posts, my good welder and plasma cutter (Miller 250X analog) got stolen last 4th of July, so I can't build the smoker I want at the moment (sucks to live in this thieving communist hell).
Dairy stuff was in an instant pot using store-bought, but the "better" brand milk.

Bacon I get pork belly from Costco. I bought large bags of the curing salts from Amazon. I have a vacuum sealer as I cook sous vide a lot. Season and bag, cure, turning daily, for a week or so (you can google all this - serious eats I think). Remove, rinse, smoke if desired, slice, then bag up in suitable portions and freeze. It's pretty simple and well worth the effort. Just the last belly I cured took me over 2 years to eat thru. I cook it in a cast-iron skillet, and it's meat candy.

Found my original notes from years back:

Bacon cure

TURN EVERY DAY at least 7 days

Salt8 tbs/10lb* 1/2 cup
Prague #13 tsp/10lb
Sugar20 tbs/10lb* 1 1/4 cup
Pepper5 tbs/10lb

AmazingRIbs:

FOR ONLY 3 pounds unsliced raw pork belly: 3/4 cup distilled water

6 tablespoons dark brown sugar

4 1/2 teaspoons Morton's kosher salt

4 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon Prague Powder #1

BBQBible:

• 1 4- to 5-pound pork belly, skinned
For the cure:

• 1/3 cup kosher salt
  • 3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper or cracked black peppercorns
  • 2 teaspoons pink curing salt, such as Prague Powder #1
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar, granulated sugar, maple sugar, freeze-dried sugar cane juice (Sucanat), or a mixture of these sweeteners

JessPryles:

INGREDIENTS

• 3lb skinless, boneless pork belly
  • 3 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons pepper
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon pink curing salt (aka Prague Powder #1)
  • apple or cherry wood chunks/chips

Spruce Eats

Ingredients

• 2 to 3 pounds pork belly
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons kosher salt (or other coarse, non-iodized salt)
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon curing salt, optional

FoodNetwork

5 pounds pork belly, skin on

1/4 cup kosher salt

2 teaspoons pink curing salt

1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar

1/4 cup honey (preferably chestnut honey)

2 tablespoons red pepper flakes

2 tablespoons smoked sweet paprika

1 teaspoon cumin seeds

SplendidTable:

• 2 1/2 to 3 pounds pork belly
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
  • 1 teaspoon curing salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Do you make your own cream cheese?
No I'm trying to make a new desert using cream cheese and raspberries.

I made cookies but the cookie wasn't cream cheese enough and the raspberry "filling " was not tart enough.

My wife has a strawberry pie recipe that I changed up to raspberry that was very good but kind of Betty Croker ish.

It needs jacked with cream cheese in the crust, smokey chipotle peppers and maybe some bitter dark chocolate spiderweb drizzle.

I want it to go with coffee, a glass of wine or maybe a glass of bourbon. Not a child's sweet desert.

Wildcat this one.

• Love
No I'm trying to make a new desert using cream cheese and raspberries.

I made cookies but the cookie wasn't cream cheese enough and the raspberry "filling " was not tart enough.

My wife has a strawberry pie recipe that I changed up to raspberry that was very good but kind of Betty Croker ish.

It needs jacked with cream cheese in the crust, smokey chipotle peppers and maybe some bitter dark chocolate spiderweb drizzle.

I want it to go with coffee, a glass of wine or maybe a glass of bourbon. Not a child's sweet desert.

Wildcat this one.
How about with a nice stout or a milk stout?

Found my original notes from years back:

Bacon cure

TURN EVERY DAY at least 7 days

Salt8 tbs/10lb* 1/2 cup
Prague #13 tsp/10lb
Sugar20 tbs/10lb* 1 1/4 cup
Pepper5 tbs/10lb

AmazingRIbs:

FOR ONLY 3 pounds unsliced raw pork belly: 3/4 cup distilled water

6 tablespoons dark brown sugar

4 1/2 teaspoons Morton's kosher salt

4 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon Prague Powder #1

BBQBible:

• 1 4- to 5-pound pork belly, skinned
For the cure:

• 1/3 cup kosher salt
  • 3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper or cracked black peppercorns
  • 2 teaspoons pink curing salt, such as Prague Powder #1
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar, granulated sugar, maple sugar, freeze-dried sugar cane juice (Sucanat), or a mixture of these sweeteners

JessPryles:

INGREDIENTS

• 3lb skinless, boneless pork belly
  • 3 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons pepper
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon pink curing salt (aka Prague Powder #1)
  • apple or cherry wood chunks/chips

Spruce Eats

Ingredients

• 2 to 3 pounds pork belly
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons kosher salt (or other coarse, non-iodized salt)
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon curing salt, optional

FoodNetwork

5 pounds pork belly, skin on

1/4 cup kosher salt

2 teaspoons pink curing salt

1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar

1/4 cup honey (preferably chestnut honey)

2 tablespoons red pepper flakes

2 tablespoons smoked sweet paprika

1 teaspoon cumin seeds

SplendidTable:

• 2 1/2 to 3 pounds pork belly
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
  • 1 teaspoon curing salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
I'm printing these now!

Thank you!

Reactions: eflyguy
Hey @Snuby642....

Got a porkroast in sauerkraut that looks like this:

Should this go into the broiler in a castiron pan or????

CIMG1188.JPG

Potato dumplings
CIMG1191.JPG

Pork sauerkraut gravy (add malt vinegar if not sour enough)
CIMG1192.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 6.5SH
Never cooked one like that. Sort of like a pork sourbratten ? I think apple slices are cooked in it also for that dish? Been a long time.

I can do a good roulladen, but that's served with red crout.
My mom made us a Christmas stollen it's great.

Edit: Probably low and slow on that. Too late to call my mom.

I was buisy at the reloading bench today so the wife took over the stew making.

She did the low slow on it and the meat is tender. Sometimes she rushes things out of habit back from the kid rearing days. Lol

20220102_192858.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Never cooked one like that. Sort of like a pork sourbratten ? I think apple slices are cooked in it also for that dish? Been a long time.

I can do a good roulladen, but that's served with red crout.
Yes, Thin sliced or thick

My mom made us a Christmas stollen it's great.

Edit: Probably low and slow on that. Too late to call my mom.

Stollen​

Long before the Romans occupied parts of Germany, special breads were prepared for the winter solstice that were rich in dried or preserved fruit. Historians have traced Christollen, Christ's stollen, back to about the year 1400 in Dresden, Germany. The first stollen consisted of only flour, oats and water, as required by church doctrine, but without butter and milk, it was quite tasteless. Ernst of Saxony and his brother Albrecht requested of the Pope that the ban on butter and milk during the Advent season be lifted. His Eminence replied in what is known as the famous "butter letter," that milk and butter could be used to bake stollen with a clear conscience and God's blessing for a small fee. Originally stollen was called Striezel or Struzel, which referred to a braided shape -- a large oval folded in half with tapered ends -- said to represent the Baby Jesus wrapped in swaddling clothing. Around 1560 it became custom that the bakers of Dresden give their king, the ruler of Saxony, two 36-pound stollens as a Christmas gift. It took eight master bakers and eight journeymen to carry the bread to the palace safely. This custom was continued for almost 200 years. In 1730 Augustus the Strong, the electoral prince of Saxony and the King of Poland, asked the Baker's Guild of Dresden to bake a giant stollen for the farewell dinner of the Zeithain "campement." The 1.8-ton stollen was a true showpiece and fed over 24,000 guests. To commemorate this event, a Stollenfest is held each December in Dresden. The bread for the present-day Stollenfest weighs 2 tons and measures approximately 4 yards long. Each year the stollen is paraded through the market square, then sliced and sold to the public, with the proceeds supporting local charities. Although there is a basic recipe for making the original Dresden Christollen, each master baker, each village and each home has its own secret recipe passed down from one generation to the next. There are probably as many recipes for stollen as there are home bakers. The commercial production of Dresden stollen is carefully licensed and regulated to ensure quality and authenticity. Authentic German stollen is usually sprinkled heavily with confectioners' sugar prior to serving. I personally have never liked this topping and choose to drizzle the tops of my loaves lightly with a simple icing (confectioners' sugar mixed with enough heavy cream to reach the consistency of honey).

I didn't want to post this in the thread where they're trying to figure out the difference between a "cheesesteak sandwich" and a "hoagie" or whatever..... :ROFLMAO:

I believe they are also pondering the question: Is "cheese whiz" cheese? :oops:

So I figured I'd just bring it here where I've already posted the reverse sear tri-tip in cast iron which is the beginning of a "real" cheesesteak sandwich.

Step 1 - Find and marry a nice German girl* from Emmaus, Pa by way of Arizona, (it will be necessary to unintentionally move from PA to AZ to do so after some years of wandering aimlessly).

CIMG1193.JPG

CIMG1194.JPG

CIMG1196.JPG

CIMG1197.JPG

CIMG1198.JPG

CIMG1199.JPG

*always order the "snowplow package" it comes with the bigger alternator for the bigger headlights etc. ;)

Last edited:
TERRESTRIAL CRITTER PAELLA

EE599850-F8FB-4EC3-81DA-18214A75456A.jpeg

Ingredients:
• 1.5 cups/360ml- Paella rice- Bomba (Spanish) Brand preferred. You've got to use arborio or similar short grain rice.
• 4 cups/960ml chicken stock- Aneto (Spanish) brand preferred. (sub w/fish stock if your making seafood Paella)
• 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, or equivalent portion of Pork loin -minced. (Marinate with 3 gloves garlic, 1/2 cup/125ml Olive Oil and 1/2cup/125mlCream Sherry- Soak for an hour before cooking.)
• 1 cup/240ml shallots-minced
• 1 cup/240ml Sweet peppers-minced- bottled piquillo peppers or fresh red bell
• 1 tbs/14g tomato paste- double concentrate- Muttibrand or equivalent
• 3/4 tsp /4 g saffron threads- pulverized and added to 50ml of warmed cream sherry or arbequina wine
• 1 tsp/ 5 grams sweet paprika
• 6 cloves garlic- all crushed- 3 used with chicken marinade
• 1 tsp/5grams salt
• 1 porterhouse steak (0.5lb/250-300g or less)
• Harissa Aoili- recipe below
• 1cup/240ml Mayonaise- Best brand made with Olive oil
• 1 clove crushed garlic
• 2 tbs/28g Harrissa pepper paste

Parsley Oil-recipe below
• I cup/240ml minced parsley
• 1/2 tsp/5g sugar
• 3 tbs/35ml Olive oil
• 10 Sweet small cherry tomatoes- washed and cut in half.
• 1 jar of Piparra pickled peppers- sold by Matiz

COOKING
1. Mince chicken to 1/2 or smaller pieces. Combine sherry, olive oil and 3 crushed cloves of garlic. Pour over chicken and leave to soak for about an hour.
2. Preheat oven to 450°F/ 230°C and place broth in saucepan and warm up.
3. Heat up the 15”/ 35cm paella pan on a medium heat and add 3tbs/45ml of oil, once hot add the garlic. Before the garlic browns add the bowl of chicken/pork. Stir and cook until liquid is evaporated and meat begins to caramelize.
4. Add onion and cook until transparent- about 3 min.
5. Add peppers and cook for 3 min.
6. If pan is dry add some olive oil-
7. Add paprika, saffron and tomato paste. Stir and cook for about a minute.
8. Ladle in half of broth and increase heat to a boil.
9. Add rice evenly to bottom of pan, add another cup of broth.
10. Take pan off of burner and place in oven- make sure pan is level and that broth and rice are evenly distributed. Cook for 25 min. Rotating pan every 4-5 min and adding broth if the pan goes dry. DO NOT STIR ANYMORE!!
11. While paella pan is in oven, cook porterhouse in an oiled pan on med/high heat with NO spices. Flip at 4-5 min. Once both sides are nicely caramelized, remove from heat and sprinkle with Kosher salt flakes. Let rest for 10 min.
12. Remove paella pan from oven and cover tightly with aluminum foil for 10 min.
13. Place paella pan on burner and apply high heat to pan for a few (2) minutes- while rotating the pan, GENTLY....this makes the crusty rice layer called the soccarat - STOP if you smell burning rice!
14. Slice steak into thin slivers, on the diagonal and arrange on surface of rice in a radial pattern.
15. Sprinkle each piece of meat with a drop or two of olive oil.
do not burn!
16. Arrange 1tsp/5g of Harissa Aoili, parsley paste and tomatoes around the pan evenly, but separate from one another.
17. Enjoy!

Aoili Sauce Prep
1. Mix 1 cup/240ml of olive-oil- based mayo with one crushed clove of garlic, add salt to tase.
2. Add Harissa pepper paste to mayo and season- this stuff can add a lot of heat so add slowly

Parsely Paste
1. Blend parsley sugar, salt and olive oil in food processor or blender- set aside

FOR SEAFOOD VARIANT- pull the steak and do this:
Same as above but you can sub in fish stock for chicken- although chicken works well enough.
I add bits of chopped rock cod in addition to minced up bits of chicken and /or pork to the mix before it goes into the oven and then add raw shrimp or prawns and sections of squid tube and tentacles once it comes out of the oven and gets covered in aluminum foil.
I've used halibut and other white fish but it all ends up with the consistency and flavor of rock cod!
Serve with lemon wedges and don't add the harissa to the aioli.

Last edited: