• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

I won a chili cook off with the below recipe, which is two other recipes combined plus my chili hacks (caramelizing the onions, and the milkshake last 4 ingredients).

Champion Chili
Ingredients:
1 Tri-Tip roast
2 lbs ground Elk (or hamburger)
4 large Chorizo sausages
I package RB Rice Hot breakfast sausage
1 lb of smoked pork belly (or bacon)
½ stick butter
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups beef stock (better than bullion)
3 large yellow onions
12 cloves of garlic
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
5 large, fresh jalapeno peppers
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1 jar Pico de Gallo
1 jar fire roasted salsa
1 can red beans (optional)
1 can black beans (optional)
1 can pinto beans (optional)
2 Tbs. Cumin
1 Tbs. Turmeric
2 Tbs. morita chili powder
2 Tbs. pasilla chili powder
1 Tbs guajillo chili powder
(or 4 Tbs. regular chili powder)
1 can coconut milk
½ cup peanut butter
1/4 cup molasses
2 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder

Into separate bowls split, de-seed, and dice the jalapenos, dice the bell peppers, dice the onions, dice the tri-tip into ½” cubes, skin and dice the chorizo, dice the pork belly.
In a large stock pot melt the butter and caramelize the onions stirring often. When the onions are caramelized crush the garlic into the pot with a garlic press, and continue cooking for 5 minutes on medium heat. Add the jalapenos, and bell peppers and cook for another five minutes. Turn the heat to high and add the chicken stock, tomatoes, Pico de Gallo, and salsa. Fold in the cumin and turmeric and once boiling turn down to low to simmer.

In a large skillet brown the pork belly till the pieces are crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on paper towels. Crumble and brown the sausage remove with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on paper towels. Cook the chorizo remove with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on paper towels. You should have quite a bit of oil in the pan at this point. Brown the elk in it (making sure you don’t cover the whole pan so it does actually brown), remove with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on paper towels. Brown the Tri Tip roast the same way. Add the chili powder to the beef broth and stir till it’s evenly distributed (you can use the same amount of regular chili powder) , and then add it along with all the meat to the simmering pot stirring well so it looks uniform.

In a blender add the coconut milk, molasses, peanut butter, and cocoa powder and blend till smooth. Fold this into the pot uniformly. At this point you can add the beans if you like it with beans. There ought to be enough salt from the beef stock, but if you want more add it at this point in small increments tasting as you go. The jalapenos and guajillo chili powder will add a little heat, but if you want more add pepper flakes or hot sauce now.

As soon as it’s simmering again cut the heat, let cool on the stove for an hour, and put the whole pot into the refrigerator overnight.
Three hours before you plan to serve it scoop it into a crock pot and simmer on low.

Won't the syrup keep the smoke from getting in? Honest question, I've never tried it. I always do a dry rub.
Good question.
Once the cure is done on Sunday you actually rinse everything off of the pork belly. If you left it on, it would burn after you were done smoking it. Also if you left the cure on and smoked it, it would be way to salty. That is the main reason for rinse it it.
My last batch I actually had to soak for a while to pull some of the salt out.

Reactions: Cowpokey
I won a chili cook off with the below recipe, which is two other recipes combined plus my chili hacks (caramelizing the onions, and the milkshake last 4 ingredients).

Champion Chili
Ingredients:
1 Tri-Tip roast
2 lbs ground Elk (or hamburger)
4 large Chorizo sausages
I package RB Rice Hot breakfast sausage
1 lb of smoked pork belly (or bacon)
½ stick butter
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups beef stock (better than bullion)
3 large yellow onions
12 cloves of garlic
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
5 large, fresh jalapeno peppers
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1 jar Pico de Gallo
1 jar fire roasted salsa
1 can red beans (optional)
1 can black beans (optional)
1 can pinto beans (optional)
2 Tbs. Cumin
1 Tbs. Turmeric
2 Tbs. morita chili powder
2 Tbs. pasilla chili powder
1 Tbs guajillo chili powder
(or 4 Tbs. regular chili powder)
1 can coconut milk
½ cup peanut butter
1/4 cup molasses
2 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder

Into separate bowls split, de-seed, and dice the jalapenos, dice the bell peppers, dice the onions, dice the tri-tip into ½” cubes, skin and dice the chorizo, dice the pork belly.
In a large stock pot melt the butter and caramelize the onions stirring often. When the onions are caramelized crush the garlic into the pot with a garlic press, and continue cooking for 5 minutes on medium heat. Add the jalapenos, and bell peppers and cook for another five minutes. Turn the heat to high and add the chicken stock, tomatoes, Pico de Gallo, and salsa. Fold in the cumin and turmeric and once boiling turn down to low to simmer.

In a large skillet brown the pork belly till the pieces are crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on paper towels. Crumble and brown the sausage remove with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on paper towels. Cook the chorizo remove with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on paper towels. You should have quite a bit of oil in the pan at this point. Brown the elk in it (making sure you don’t cover the whole pan so it does actually brown), remove with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on paper towels. Brown the Tri Tip roast the same way. Add the chili powder to the beef broth and stir till it’s evenly distributed (you can use the same amount of regular chili powder) , and then add it along with all the meat to the simmering pot stirring well so it looks uniform.

In a blender add the coconut milk, molasses, peanut butter, and cocoa powder and blend till smooth. Fold this into the pot uniformly. At this point you can add the beans if you like it with beans. There ought to be enough salt from the beef stock, but if you want more add it at this point in small increments tasting as you go. The jalapenos and guajillo chili powder will add a little heat, but if you want more add pepper flakes or hot sauce now.

As soon as it’s simmering again cut the heat, let cool on the stove for an hour, and put the whole pot into the refrigerator overnight.
Three hours before you plan to serve it scoop it into a crock pot and simmer on low.
That's a hell of a recipe.

I would actually like to try a bowl of it.

Problem is if I made that in Texas I would wake up in Oklahoma naked with a dick drawn on my forehead.

If you get a chance have a bowl of Texas Red.

Beef, dried red chilies, spices and water. If any and everything else is served on the side.

You might use things to add flavors but they better not see it in the bowl.

Problem is if I made that in Texas I would wake up in Oklahoma naked with a dick drawn on my forehead.

Beef, dried red chilies, spices and water. If any and everything else is served on the side.

Well I might throw in a bottle of Shiner and a couple shots of Crown.

• Haha
Reactions: Snuby642

That’s always better than waking up in Juarez with no clothes on

Stopped by the local butcher shop looking for some smoked sausage and cheese. Walked out with some portobello mushroom caps stuffed with some greens, filet mignon chunks, and blue cheese. Oven at 400 for about 15 minutes later
82E7AA81-A7D7-47F2-9E7E-860850BDDA07.jpeg

Bacon is in the smoker as well as a 3.5 pound roast for roast beef. Did a test piece of bacon this morning and salt is perfect with a little bit of sweetness from the maple syrup. Sound be tasty. Roast is season with McCormicks seasoning.
AE7B6503-5327-4C98-9B8E-A966B1452DDE.jpeg

IMG_4607.jpg

IMG_4608.jpg

I have not had a Little Kings brewski since 1987ish... saw that small 8 pack and scooped them up. Bottle is a little different but the memories came flooding back with the first pull...🤗 The 2 small slices on the grill were for the cats and my daughter's doggo. They wound up eating waaayy more...🤤....as did I....

This could be an epic mess.
Book said six cups apples.
Wtf do they know?

Somehow the number six stuck
In my head so I used six large Granny Smith apples.
20220224_180217.jpg

Will see in half an hour. Lol

Sprinkle some cane sugar on that bitch and put it back in the oven at 375F

Or mix some cold butter, a bit of flour, some sugar and some cinnamon in a bowl and sprinkle it over that and bake it for 15 min ….it'll form a crumble topping

Or smother that mess in vanilla ice cream and forgettaboutit.....

Actually came out ok.
Firmer texture than most not in an unpleasant way.

Cinnamon, allspice and a touch of clove, forgot the shot of whiskey I was going to use.

20220224_204338.jpg

Keilbalsa, with bacon wrapped around to make a shot glass, with a cream cheese, hot sauce and cheddar filling and my own seasoning blend. Smoked and then brushed with bbq sauce to caramelize.
I'm stealing that! Can I use andouille instead of Kielbasa? I assume any sausage would work. How long do you smoke it and at what temp?

Some days comfort food is in order

My kids have been complaining about the lack of Tomato soup so I made some of my roasted tomato soup. This is the base

Tomato Soup Base.jpg

Mix of fresh tomatoes, celery, carrot, Jalapeños and EVOO that is roasted for 45 minutes.

Once done continue with the cook and serve with grilled cheese and bacon sandwiches.

Comfort food is sometimes better than gourmet.

Last edited:
Lots of work.

Mix soy some lime and a little wasabi together. Slice tuna dunk and eat.

I have done it on the back of the boat still twitching. But you are supposed to freeze it first and is better tasting when cool than warm.

Once I got drunk enough to try a raw piece I never wanted it cooked again. Lol

My wife and I splurge occasionally and can blow 200$ at the sushi bar easily.

Last edited:
Rockstar dining tonight. Plain old PB&J with some local sourced honey. Paired with some milk, and a handful of plain corn chips

Ohh peanut butter & honey with a glass of milk is so good 🤤 You gotta put the honey on the bread first and let it sit while you spread the PB on the other slice of bread. The honey kinda soaks into the bread and develops a tiny bit of "crunch", plus it keeps the honey from dripping.

Ohh peanut butter & honey with a glass of milk is so good 🤤 You gotta put the honey on the bread first and let it sit while you spread the PB on the other slice of bread. The honey kinda soaks into the bread and develops a tiny bit of "crunch", plus it keeps the honey from dripping.
I do like that bread and honey crunch. This on has a little bit of that since the honey was on thick

Reactions: Jonny_
Chimichurri recipe please…
As requested..this will be enough to marinate 3.5 pounds of flank steak and leave you 1/2 - 3/4 of a cup left over for dipping

IngredientAmount
Parsley1.5 Standard Bunches
Well-trimmed of stems and triple washed
Cilantro½ to ¾ Standard Bunch
Well-trimmed of stems and triple washed
Basil (Optional)½ Standard Bunch
Oregano2 tsp dried or ¼ standard bunch of fresh
Jalapeno2 Large (Use seeds as desired or No seeds)
Shallots2 medium
Garlic4 cloves
Kosher Salt1 tsp
Coarse Black Pepper½ tsp
Crushed Red Pepper½ tsp
Ground Coriander (Optional)½ tsp
Ground Cumin (Optional)½ tsp
Sherry or Red Wine Vinegar¼ cup
EVOO¾ cup
Lemon Juice1 lemon

1. Cut stems from Parsley and chop in food processor. Use pulse mode and do not pulverize it. Place in large bowl
  2. Repeat with Cilantro, Basil and Oregano. DO EACH SEPARATELY. Place in same large bowl
  3. Chop the garlic and then the shallots and then the jalapenos fine in the food processor. Do each separately and place in bowl with the fresh herbs.
  4. Add salt, pepper and optional spices to the bowl and mix to incorporate
  5. Add sherry vinegar and lemon juice to bowl and mix to incorporate
  6. Add 1/3 cup of oil to bowl and mix to incorporate
  7. Continue to add oil in two more batches or until you get to desired consistency.
It should not be swimming in oil. There should be enough oil to hold it together but not enough to look like herbs suspended in oil. Adjust salt, red pepper to taste. I usually add a little more salt but rely on the seeds from the Jalapeño to add heat versus crushed red pepper. It is up to your own preference. Reserve 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup for dipping.

Enjoy!

Recipe please!
OK...a bit more complicated than some of my recipes but worth it IMHO. You have to like Caribbean food.

INGREDIENTS

MARINADE:

2 tablespoons browning sauce, such as Grace Brown sauce (Amazon sells it)
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon chile powder (Ancho or Guajillo or mix of both)
1 teaspoon allspice powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder

CHICKEN:

4 whole bone-in, skinless chicken legs or 2 breasts or mixed (3 pounds)
Kosher salt and black pepper
2 whole scallions, halved crosswise
4 fresh thyme sprigs
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more as needed
1 medium onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3 tomatoes, washed and quartered
6 medium carrots, sliced 1/2-inch thick on a bias
1 quart chicken stock, plus more as needed
3 dried bay leaves

NOTE: All of the ingredients in the recipe are based on 3 pounds of chicken. Scale all ingredients accordingly if you increase the weight of the chicken.

METHOD

1. Make the marinade: Add all marinade ingredients to a large bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
  2. Prepare the chicken: Season the chicken with 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Place chicken, scallions, and thyme in the bowl with the marinade and mix to combine. Let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours. Remove chicken from the refrigerator at least 1 hour before starting to cook.
  3. Heat a shallow Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add sliced onions, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic to pan, cook for 30 seconds, stirring to keep the garlic from scorching. Using a pair of tongs or spoon, remove onions and garlic from the pan. Place in a medium bowl and set aside.
  4. If needed, add more oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add chicken to the pan, letting the excess marinade drip back into the bowl, and reserving the scallions and thyme sprigs. This can also be done on a propane grill to avoid the mess.
  5. Working in batches, sear chicken on both sides until dark brown, adjusting the heat if necessary to avoid burning the marinade, about 3 to 4 minutes total. Discard the excess marinade.
  6. Return onions and garlic to pan. Add tomato paste and stir. Place quartered tomatoes and sliced carrots in the pan. Slowly pour in chicken stock to nearly cover. (Add more as needed.) Using your spatula, scrape off the bits from the bottom of the pan. Add bay leaves and the reserved thyme and scallions from the marinade.
  7. Bring to a rolling simmer. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove thyme stems and bay leaf, and discard. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
  8. Serve with plain white rice or bread.

Last edited:
OK...a bit more complicated than some of my recipes but worth it IMHO. You have to like Caribbean food.

INGREDIENTS

MARINADE:

2 tablespoons browning sauce, such as Grace Brown sauce (Amazon sells it)
2 tablespoons light or dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon chile powder (Ancho or Guajillo or mix of both)
1 teaspoon allspice powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder

CHICKEN:

4 whole bone-in, skinless chicken legs or 2 breasts or mixed (3 pounds)
Kosher salt and black pepper
2 whole scallions, halved crosswise
4 fresh thyme sprigs
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more as needed
1 medium onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3 tomatoes, washed and quartered
6 medium carrots, sliced 1/2-inch thick on a bias
1 quart chicken stock, plus more as needed
3 dried bay leaves

NOTE: All of the ingredients in the recipe are based on 3 pounds of chicken. Scale all ingredients accordingly if you increase the weight of the chicken.

METHOD

1. Make the marinade: Add all marinade ingredients to a large bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
  2. Prepare the chicken: Season the chicken with 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Place chicken, scallions, and thyme in the bowl with the marinade and mix to combine. Let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours. Remove chicken from the refrigerator at least 1 hour before starting to cook.
  3. Heat a shallow Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add sliced onions, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic to pan, cook for 30 seconds, stirring to keep the garlic from scorching. Using a pair of tongs or spoon, remove onions and garlic from the pan. Place in a medium bowl and set aside.
  4. If needed, add more oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add chicken to the pan, letting the excess marinade drip back into the bowl, and reserving the scallions and thyme sprigs. This can also be done on a propane grill to avoid the mess.
  5. Working in batches, sear chicken on both sides until dark brown, adjusting the heat if necessary to avoid burning the marinade, about 3 to 4 minutes total. Discard the excess marinade.
  6. Return onions and garlic to pan. Add tomato paste and stir. Place quartered tomatoes and sliced carrots in the pan. Slowly pour in chicken stock to nearly cover. (Add more as needed.) Using your spatula, scrape off the bits from the bottom of the pan. Add bay leaves and the reserved thyme and scallions from the marinade.
  7. Bring to a rolling simmer. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove thyme stems and bay leaf, and discard. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
  8. Serve with plain white rice or bread.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Reactions: Nik H