• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

I have a strong suspicion that the Birria from Jalisco Mexico region may well have been the origins brought to San Antonio Texas by the Chilli Queens to make a proper Bowl of Red.

Reactions: Nik H
Well today I got frustrated at the pieces of chilie skins I stupidly got into an otherwise fine dish.

Dissasemble adapt overcome.

I strained the liquid, carefully removed the rounds and chunks of meat and tossed the rest.

The meat was washed of the chilie skins.

I made a loose chili from ground meat and a store brand type chilli mix (yes on purpose) I had a lot of liquid that needed some salt and thickening, allready had lots of chili flavor.

The goat was "shredded" by pinching it with my fingers and added back.

Since I had crossed the line on Mexican food and a Texas Bowl of Red I thought nothing of crossing the Red River and adding beans.

BLASTFAMY came out good.

20230717_205606.jpg

Interesting twist to my future in the kitchen.

My son and his mil purchased a small farm, it has wild hogs, a few dear and at the moment covered in a heard of goats and sheep.

It's overgrown scruff not good grass so in liew of a brush hog he will be able to get some meat in trade.

Can't stand mutton but grilled lamb is ok if I learn to cook that,
And none of that cover it in mint crap iether. The goat I have a handle on and can only get better.

Got to figure out 3-4 month old cabrito for a special occasion and less than 1 year old lamb.

Interesting twist to my future in the kitchen.

My son and his mil purchased a small farm, it has wild hogs, a few dear and at the moment covered in a heard of goats and sheep.

It's overgrown scruff not good grass so in liew of a brush hog he will be able to get some meat in trade.

Can't stand mutton but grilled lamb is ok if I learn to cook that,
And none of that cover it in mint crap iether. The goat I have a handle on and can only get better.

Got to figure out 3-4 month old cabrito for a special occasion and less than 1 year old lamb.
A nice leg of lamb roasted in the oven with oil, lemon, butter, salt, pepper and oregano is hard to beat. Cook it until it is medium rare (~140 degrees). I think you will like it

Reactions: Snuby642
So kicking around the fridge found some shaved steak leftover.
Had some sautéed onions as well. Needed some peppers.

20230801_185033.jpg

Found some shishitoes I wanted to try. They were neither mild nor sweet but better suited for mexican food. The meat needed a little moisture and seasoning so I mixed some Dales marinade with A-1 and not only did it work it was a great flavor.
20230801_185956.jpg

Comfort food rules the day.

Baching it like a boss.
20230802_202252.jpg

Cast iron pan on the steak and a sheet pan lined with foil for the baked vegetables.

Been a long time since I did a pan steak, should have got it a little hotter for a harder sear.

Other than that a nice mid rare.

Heated up some water in the pan and swished my new chain male sponge thing around with tongs and it was clean with a paper towel. Heat, oil, wipe and back up un the wall.

All cleaned up before the wife got back from bowling.

Low carb kids meal but I’m eating the leftovers. Homemade chicken tenders with pork rind crumb breading and a dipping “sauce” of sour cream, hot sauce, & some Pluck seasoning

1692055827839.jpeg

I smoked a turkey this past Saturday....came out really well (according to my guests). Skin was really crispy with just the right amount of salt.

IMG_0515.jpeg

I am not that big a turkey fan but what I love about smoking poultry is it lets me make some flavorful stock. I got 8 quarts of amazingly tasty stock. This is the start of it.

IMG_0517.jpeg

Enjoy!

Hoping to get some help here from the group.
wife and I want to dehydrate some veggies from the garden.
Do you all mind giving recommendations for a dehydrator?
thanks
Kevin

Last edited:
Reactions: The D
Do you live near a Costco? That will be the easiest solution. If it doesn’t work very well or if it breaks, take it back

Looks quite nice!! Bet it was tasty

I love beef stew but only in cooler weather. I make mine with lots of good red wine in addition to the stock. I like to thicken it a bit as well using a little flour/butter mix.
flour/butter mix huh! i'll give it a try.

Reactions: Nik H
Simple dinner again. Can of seasoned butter beans, can of black eyed peas, johnsonville smoked sausage. Let it get nice and hot for a few minutes, season with some pepper and dash of accent, let cool for about 20 minutes and enjoy. Fat ass me enjoyed a piece of buttered bread with it.
30A99649-A4DD-4D0F-870F-F75EA77A0A62.jpeg

Beans done right is a fine meal anytime. My wife griped a few days ago when I made a big pot of sausage and beans. She said that's a winter dish.

They're all gone. lol

Had pintos a couple different link sausages and got a package of ham hocks to go in it. Oinions, garlic, spices and my splurge shortcut to beans chicken broth.

Here is a hint, don't get your ham hocks from Albertsons, no meat and not enough smoke.

Normally I smoke a ham and use the leftovers and bone but it's well into tripple digits around here with critical fire danger / red flag warnings .

Fire marshal can normaly see me tending my stick burner water hose at the ready but it's worse than ever right now even though burning my grass would help it.

Juice not worth the squeeze.

Had an old classic last nite.
Pan seared pork chops with a huge onion carmelized down and then covered with Campbells cream of mushroom soup all in the same pan. Low and slow, then serve over plane rice.

I can remember eating that same dish all the way back to the 1960's and it's still good.

One of the easiest preps there is.
Pan with thin coat of oil, seasoned pork chops sear them quickly and don't worry if done inside at all just get a bit of color on them.

Pull them out and set them aside.
Add a bit more oil and a couple large onions sliced maybe a little more spices some butter.
Cover cook down till browned and sweet, stirring once in a while to pick up spices off the bottom of the pan.

Put the chops on top of the oinions, 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup on top of that.

Lid it turn heat to low and walk away. Probably no one will notice if you make a pot of instant rice by the time you serve it with all the gravey on top.

John T. Dorrance, a chemist with the Campbell Soup Company invented condensed soup in 1897. The Campbell Soup Company began producing "Cream of Mushroom Soup" back in 1934.

Last edited:
Beans done right is a fine meal anytime. My wife griped a few days ago when I made a big pot of sausage and beans. She said that's a winter dish.

They're all gone. lol

Had pintos a couple different link sausages and got a package of hammocks to go in it. Oinions, garlic, spices and my splurge shortcut to beans chicken broth.

Here is a hint, don't get your hammocks from Albertsons, no meat and not enough smoke.

Normally I smoke a ham and use the leftovers and bone but it's well into tripple digits around here with critical fire danger / red flag warnings .

Fire marshal can normaly see me tending my stick burner water hose at the ready but it's worse than ever right now even though burning my grass would help it.

Pan seared pork chops with a huge onion carmelized down and then covered with Campbells cream of mushroom soup all in the same pan. Low and slow, then serve over plane rice.

I can remember eating that same dish all the way back to the 1960's and it's still good.

Pan with thin coat of oil, seasoned pork chops sear them quickly and don't worry if done inside at all just get a bit of color on them.

Add a bit more oil and a couple large onions sliced maybe a little more spices some butter.
Cover cook down till browned and sweet, stirring once in a while to pick up spices off the bottom of the pan.

Put the chops on top of the oinions, 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup on top of that.

Lid it turn heat to low and walk away. Probably no one will notice if you make a pot of instant rice by the time you serve it with all the gravey on top.

John T. Dorrance, a chemist with the Campbell Soup Company invented condensed soup in 1897. The Campbell Soup Company began producing "Cream of Mushroom Soup" back in 1934.
I thoroughly enjoy your posts here. You have a million “simple” ways to spice something up. Thank you sir

1692735882146.jpeg

Well, it was good. I just ate it so fast that I couldn’t get a pic of it. I’m sure I looked like a pelican gobbling this down. And “this” was a medium rare burger topped with a slice of Gouda cheese, a slice of pepper co-jack cheese, an egg yolk, and sprinkled with Pluck organ seasoning.

Reactions: Grubber and lash

They're all gone. lol

Had pintos a couple different link sausages and got a package of hammocks to go in it. Oinions, garlic, spices and my splurge shortcut to beans chicken broth.

Here is a hint, don't get your hammocks from Albertsons, no meat and not enough smoke.

Do a little editing. I think spell check got you. It's ham hocks not hammocks.

• Haha
Reactions: Snuby642
View attachment 8210388

Well, it was good. I just ate it so fast that I couldn’t get a pic of it. I’m sure I looked like a pelican gobbling this down. And “this” was a medium rare burger topped with a slice of Gouda cheese, a slice of pepper co-jack cheese, an egg yolk, and sprinkled with Pluck organ seasoning.
Egg on a burger is heaven

Reactions: The D and lash
Crispy brussel sprout tacos with spicy peanut butter and a salty sour vinaigrette.

Peanut butter from roasted peanuts and added red pepper flakes. Cooked 3/4 of the brussel sprouts until crisp, kept raw ones sliced like slaw. Vinaigrette was soy, Worcestershire, rice vinegar, scallions and ginger. Served over tortillas and garnished with cilantro, jalapeño, onion and avocado with a drizzle of lime.
SLWs4Vo.jpg

pIX1tRb.jpg

Wife wanted cold ham and cheese sandwich, I wanted grilled.

So I combined them.
Don't do that.
Came out bad, I actually didnt finish mine.

Looked nice but tastes clashed.
Maybe I could have just toasted the sour dough bread and went cold the rest of the way or grilled the onions and left off the rest of the vegetables.

Epic fail.

20230823_210443.jpg

Looks can he deceiving in this case.

Don't mix two classics and figure it's going to be better.

Stupid Snuby.

Last edited:
Fuck, why is cottage cheese and fruit so good?

1692997390586.jpeg

And I found something amazing at a Peach Festival near me. It’s like peach jam and wildflower honey whipped together and I have to make a conscious effort not to eat all of it every time I take the lid off

1692997560563.jpeg

Reactions: Beefmanne and lash
@Grubber
That is amazing looking pastrami.

My wife looked for some in the market yesterday and told she wasn't paying that price.

Would you share the recipe / cooking times on that trophy pastrami.

Now I have to clean out a space in the fridge. Maybe brisket will go on sale this week for the holiday.

Reactions: lash
Got fortunate enough to snag a few doves on opening day, made street tacos with them. Chunked up the meat, made a seasoning and pan fried the dove in extra virgin olive oil for less than 5 minutes. Topped them with pico, feta cheese crumbles, cilantro, and fresh lime juice.
7D0B8F94-0493-4207-BA2B-C3B69F6229A1.jpeg
A61C85DC-9AFE-400D-83DA-ACC6D2673E16.jpeg

Just smoked my first chicken thighs . Sorry no pics .
Used Adobo , paprika , chili powder , cayenne, course black pepper and garlic salt . No particular amount , just by that looks right . Oh and a pinch of corn starch . Rubbed on and under skin .
Sliced a few jalapenos to sit on top for flavor .
Once I hit internal temp picked of the jalapenos and slathered on bbq sauce .
I have a wet spot in muh pants . Tomorrow , bacon wrapped maple pork loin .

Just smoked my first chicken thighs . Sorry no pics .
Used Adobo , paprika , chili powder , cayenne, course black pepper and garlic salt . No particular amount , just by that looks right . Oh and a pinch of corn starch . Rubbed on and under skin .
Sliced a few jalapenos to sit on top for flavor .
Once I hit internal temp picked of the jalapenos and slathered on bbq sauce .
I have a wet spot in muh pants . Tomorrow , bacon wrapped maple pork loin .
Do you spray with apple cider vinegar as you smoke stuff? I usually give everything a spray about every hour, I think it helps keep stuff from getting too dry on the outside.

Reactions: Beefmanne
Do you spray with apple cider vinegar as you smoke stuff? I usually give everything a spray about every hour, I think it helps keep stuff from getting too dry on the outside.
Not yet . I am still new to this . That was my first smoke . In all honesty the flavor was like nothing I've ever tasted . The skin was way to chewy yet oddly crisp . I forgot to brush on olive oil before the rub .
So I've been told there's a millions ways to do a piece of meat in a smoker . Just beginning my journey .

Not yet . I am still new to this . That was my first smoke . In all honesty the flavor was like nothing I've ever tasted . The skin was way to chewy yet oddly crisp . I forgot to brush on olive oil before the rub .
So I've been told there's a millions ways to do a piece of meat in a smoker . Just beginning my journey .
Bird is a difficult egg to crack in the smoker. If you keep the temp low so you get good smoke, the skin ends up rubbery. If you use high(er) heat the skin will be better, but you get less smoke flavor.

@Grubber
That is amazing looking pastrami.

My wife looked for some in the market yesterday and told she wasn't paying that price.

Would you share the recipe / cooking times on that trophy pastrami.

Now I have to clean out a space in the fridge. Maybe brisket will go on sale this week for the holiday.
Yep, I'd like to try a pastrami.

I have a brisket in the freezer that a buddy gave me from an old cow he had turned into mostly burger.

He gave me 2, and I did a 22 hour smoke with the other. Lots of fat, and it came out great!