• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

Huge setback to fire.
Now have 325 degrees and blue smoke.
Have to burn it down again.
Added too much wood.

Pixture does not do justice on the smoke pouring out.

Do not put your food in this.

20200703_121456.jpg

Really?

One more reason to keep one around is you can throw your phone in it and turn it on to piss off some people.

• Haha
Reactions: kthomas
These new thin smoker's suck.

It's like riding a rank unbroke horse all damn day trying to get some place.

Can't build a decent bed of coals they won't draw properly to handle it.

I will have the old smoke's fire box rebuilt asap.

Just started the road to pulled pork.

I really want to thank @Snuby642 for his awesome advice.

I started this morning by slathering the Boston Butt in yellow mustard to help bind the rub that I made.

View attachment 7365507

I made my rub which is the same as I use for St. Louis Pork Ribs. I don't use sugar in my rub. Not a fan of sweet in BBQ. It can also taste bad if it burns. It helps the formation of bark but I think it is a crutch. Just my opinion.
I then tied the butt tight and wrapped in clear wrap. It will be refrigerated for the about 18 hours to let the salt in the rub work its magic.

View attachment 7365511

I will add to this tomorrow!

Day 2

Meat is on

View attachment 7366168

4 Hours In!! Looking Good

View attachment 7366244

So far so good!!

Added pictures to original...nice color

Last edited:
Time to wrap...internal temp was 163 degrees...color looks good. Total smoke time was 6 hours

View attachment 7366461

Well...I can't believe how well things turned out. Wrapped the butt and cooked at 260 for 2 more hours.

Total cook time was 7.5 hours. I then took the wrapped butt and placed it in a cooler and covered it for a long rest. We had a ways to go before dinner at the party. It sat in a cooler wrapped for 2.5 hours. When it was time to eat, the butt had cooled to 144 degrees....yahooo

Pork Butt - Resting.jpg

The bone pulled out with no resistance and the meat shredded without effort. I added a little rub and mixed it in. Totally moist and juicy.

Pork Butt - Served.jpg

I thank everyone who helped make this a complete success.

You can run that smoker on up to 225 without any dammage to a pork butt.

My brisket weighed 13 lbs after trimming, boy was it an ugly reject in the sale pile.

Problems getting smoker settled in and finaly meat went on at 3PM.

Since it was small it started to sweat at i t of 150 around 11pm.

I did not need it till noon or later so I wrapped tight put it in a pan and slow rolled it at 220 so it wouldn't wake me too early.

It woke me at a perfect 7AM, nice.

I opened the foil and let steam out and out of oven, recovered it and let it rest.

By the time I got to it the temperature had hit 205 degrees.

Epic failure on the BBQ circut that extra 5 degrees on a large 16+lb brisket would have been ok but this one would not hold as a slice test.

The crowd showed thier anger and as a show of utter disgust shoved it in thier mouth's like wild animals.

The ham and sausages needed a knife to cut.

Question for all you southern folks about greens. I was at some friends place in Louisiana years ago and they served some type of greens. They had a wine bottle with hot peppers mixed with vinegar to put on them. What kind of greens do you eat and will they work in a garden near the SD / NE line?

If you all are looking for a finishing sauce for pulled pork this one is my go to.

My buddy has another one I will have to ask him what it was. He said he thought it was better than the above, but he said its different so really hard to tell.

Question for all you southern folks about greens. I was at some friends place in Louisiana years ago and they served some type of greens. They had a wine bottle with hot peppers mixed with vinegar to put on them. What kind of greens do you eat and will they work in a garden near the SD / NE line?

Collard greens. Not sure about their growth up there though

Reactions: S Roche

Mostly collard or chard greens. Stew em down with stock and pork belly(or some other meat).

The peppers and vinegar is easy to make. Get a selection of hot peppers and garlic, some throw some whole black peppercorns in, then boil up some white vinegar and pour it in and seal it... Easy to make. Good on fried chicken, fish, eggs, etc...

You need about 90 days for mature collards. They'll survive a freeze, but not a SD freeze. I bet they'd need to be planted in the next two weeks up there. May work better as a spring crop, idk.

Reactions: S Roche
So a family friend had to go up close to the Great Lakes for some classes and had a few extra days. He knew someone and they went out fishing and got a lot of lake trout and Cisco. He brought back a bunch and asked me if I would smoke him some. After a lot of reading about the best ways to smoke fish (lake trout in particular) here is what I did:

1. Dry brine consisting of 4 cups kosher salt and 1 cup brown sugar. Blended in the KitchenAid for 5ish min. I didn’t use all of this so I bagged the rest and labeled it for future use. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture yesterday either putting into the brine or taking out. Basically I got a big tupperware tub and put down a layer of brine mix (mix) then a layer of fillets and liberally coated them with the mix and continued with that until all fillets were in the tub and coated. Put that into the fridge for 6ish hours and then wash the mix off. I put all the fillets onto plates and back into the fridge for about 16 hours (overnight plus some after I had some chores to do this morning).

Here they are coming out of a 16 hr overnight in the fridge to form the pellicle:

FDEF8BC2-7709-478A-8625-48F4002DE49F.jpeg

Looking good so far!

Now for some cherry wood:

0930EBB4-685F-4F24-82F0-71E9E23853A7.jpeg

And to get the smoker up to temp and into the smoker they go!

336B2354-BFBF-4429-9F1C-4D1C5EC7AC9F.jpeg

I didn’t time them (should have but knew I was cooking to temp so wasn’t too worried this time) and they all came off at different times based on their temperature. I pulled one at 145* for me and my wife and the rest my friend wanted taken all the way to 161*. Here they are all smoked up:

73039F2F-C10D-4154-ADAC-7D2B3E8631F5.jpeg

I think they look awesome! I tried a small pinch of one and while it was pretty salty I did like the flavor! Next time I’ll have to experiment with a less salty brine mix. Finally I let them all rest and come to room temperature before getting them all vac packed and back into the freezer:

6AE0891F-9262-4AB0-8E3F-85E5AB1AED20.jpeg

Thanks for looking! Final notes I’d say that cherry wood is going to be a really nice wood for smoking fish. Also I think I’m going to look for a way to brine the fish that doesn’t use as much salt. My wife and I don’t mind but my friend has had heart issues and really watches his salt. He knows what I did and is still really looking forward to getting them though!

Hope y‘all enjoy!

JBPilot

Filled up my smoker this weekend. Only thing not pictured is 3 racks of ribs that I cooked for a friend. I did KC style burnt ends for the first time. Trimmed the flat and point almost completely separated, then when done, fully separated and cubed up the point, rolled in some Stubbs Sweet Honey & Spice, then back on the smoker for 30 minutes. They were good, but I thing I am a bigger fan of my salt & pepper rub. We vacuum sealed up and froze a bunch of it for future consumption. Shares a couple foil tins with friends and neighbors.

Attachments

• 4th meat.jpg
    4th meat.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 4th turkey.jpg
    4th turkey.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 4th pulled pork.jpg
    4th pulled pork.jpg
    642.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 4th brisket.jpg
    4th brisket.jpg
    613.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 4th burnt ends.jpg
    4th burnt ends.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 69
Filled up my smoker this weekend. Only thing not pictured is 3 racks of ribs that I cooked for a friend. I did KC style burnt ends for the first time. Trimmed the flat and point almost completely separated, then when done, fully separated and cubed up the point, rolled in some Stubbs Sweet Honey & Spice, then back on the smoker for 30 minutes. They were good, but I thing I am a bigger fan of my salt & pepper rub. We vacuum sealed up and froze a bunch of it for future consumption. Shares a couple foil tins with friends and neighbors.
That looks SO good!

8922525B-BEEE-435D-BE52-7C961F5285D8.jpeg

Reactions: Barneybdb and SRW
Ok, all the pulled pork talk/pictures convinced me. I bought a pork butt at the store tonight. It’ll be a few days before I do it but I’ll post up pictures when I do.

Care to share? Love some jerk chicken, another version would be a nice change.

Spicy Jamaican Jerk Dry Rub

Ingredient List
2 tbsp. granulated garlic (NOT powder)
2 tsp. cayenne powder
2 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp. dried parsley
2 tsp. sugar (I used organic brown coconut sugar)
2 tsp. granulated onion (NOT powder)
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper

Mix well. Will do one large chicken or 2-3 pounds of wings. Coat the chicken or wings with a little olive oil before adding the spice so it binds better

Spicy Jamaican Jerk Dry Rub

Ingredient List
2 tbsp. granulated garlic (NOT powder)
2 tsp. cayenne powder
2 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp. dried parsley
2 tsp. sugar (I used organic brown coconut sugar)
2 tsp. granulated onion (NOT powder)
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper

Mix well. Will do one large chicken or 2-3 pounds of wings. Coat the chicken or wings with a little olive oil before adding the spice so it binds better

needs scotch bonnets....

I know y’all been putting up your favorite meat stuff, and it looks great. The wife enjoys a garden, so here’s a little pay off from her hard work. Will do the zucchini and squash on the grill with some Dillo dust. Got a big slab of salmon to do with it. Should be smelling good around here about 7pm.

Attachments

• 714D9026-4450-464B-A019-D2A014AF593C.jpeg
    714D9026-4450-464B-A019-D2A014AF593C.jpeg
    549.8 KB · Views: 70
I need to get a pic of "squachini". Cross between last years black beauty zucchini and crookneck squash. I guess that makes it 75:25 squash:zucchini or something like that.

First wood add.

Thinking I need as much smoke up front because as soon as this sweats I will wrap it in foil to let it stew in its juices.

In the past I kept a pan of water under the cut to keep the interior of the grill humid. Now I added a drip pan with the foil I intend to wrap the meat in. Hoping to capture any early juice that drops and use it to steam the wrapped meat.

image.jpg

Im a Caveman Poor. I need to get a thermometer.

@pmclaine check out inkbird thermometers. I’ve got one and love it. They’re not very expensive at all and they do “fire sales” on amazon all the time.

Reactions: pmclaine
In a dry rub???

I have wet rubs with scotch bonnets or other such pepper. This is strictly a dry rub

you can dry hot peppers and then powder them.... I have a lot of super hots I have dried. They are just as deadly LOL.

Reactions: Nik H
20200706_175420.jpg
20200706_182227.jpg

Breakfast for dinner. Wild hog sausage with eggs and potatoes. Next year need to add a bit more heat to the sausage mix, as this is mild Italianish and I prefer hot.

Reactions: 502Chevelle