• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The reason employees suck and there’s a shortage of them

I tell people to their face they must do better. Its the kindest thing you can do. Amazing how about 2/3 get it.

The rest dont have a job. And most tell me they have never had feedback before.

Hurting feelings is how you get people to do it better next time.

I want 100 percent. I want progress. I want honesty. Give me those and you have a chance.
I agree. But we are talking about different cultures. You can tell that to a gringo and he will respond. Others won't. They wandered into this job, they will wander somewhere else. My comment was about the guy getting his house built and being better at it than the labor.

Dude I saw this super hot chick at the mall a while back, crop top, booty shorts, etc. So of course I was checking out the merchandise...
This bitch had the nerve to say extra loud "What?!! Do you need something?!" :ROFLMAO: I didn't even reply to this obviously disturbed lady, just kept walking.
Bitch knows damn well what shes doing, don't get all dolled up and sexy and then try to get mad and "expose" someone who looks at you when thats your whole reason you dressed up like that - to get men's attention...
Its a tard trend with girls at the gym too, LOL bitch GTFO here with that nonsense.

Some of the dumbest behavior Ive ever seen...

That trainer should have told her "Your legs are way too fat to be that stuck up."

You want to hire an "employee" for 12 hours per week. Thats cutting your potential employee pool pretty thin right off the bat.

That gym girl in the above video maybe didn't like certain, oversexxed types looking at her.
Problem with that is- why wear that outfit, and then preplan to film whatever encounter you intend to provoke? That shit was totally intentional to try and go viral for "exposing" a dude who glanced at you for like half a second from way across the gym.

I have noticed a change in attitude among workers, like some lady checker that looked at me and asked "Is there a problem?!" I said 'No, why' and she said "Because of the way you looked at me." I haven't seen her since so I guess she quit too.
Sounds.

Carnac

Problem with that is- why wear that outfit, and then preplan to film whatever encounter you intend to provoke? That shit was totally intentional to try and go viral for "exposing" a dude who glanced at you for like half a second from way across the gym.
You're probably right. I didn't factor in the camera. I'm sure she knew she had a sure thing as far as response with the 'trainer' in background.

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
This is simple an honest wage doesn't afford what it should

so people have simply given up

I make pretty good bank doin what I am but the wages haven't gotten any better in a decade or more.

My old man was makin 30 odd k a year in the 80's and could afford a house in 2 years if he saved everything and lived off what my mother earned.

Nowadays the cost of a basic home is at a minimum 300,000.

The average wage is 50,000

so u gotta save for at least 6 years
And that’s if you can save 100% of your money, which we all know is impossible. Of that $50,000 you might get to keep about $36,000 of it. Then add in your costs to get back and forth to work, AKA wear and tear on a vehicle, etc. I spend $120 a week going back and forth to work. If I drive in 5 days then thats $480 a month just in gas, that’s $5760 a year. So you are already roughly at $30,000 and you haven’t even bought anything. We will say $400 a month for groceries for an average family and that’s cheap, really depends on where you are. So now you are at roughly $25,000. Still haven’t really bought anything. Let’s say you have a average size house with an average electric bill, we will call it $150 a month or $1800 a year which is probably pretty damn cheap for a lot of people. I know my summer months bills are north of $400 a month. So now you at $23,000 and still haven’t bought anything. Average cable and internet bill, we will call $200 a month. So now you are down to $20,600 and still haven’t bought anything. Now let’s say you got a car note and say the average car note is $400 a month. Oh shit. Now you down to roughly $15,000 and you still just in basics survival mode. We will say auto insurance for that ride is $100 a month. Now you down to $13,800. Cell phone Bill probably $100 a month. Now you down to $12,600 and we still haven’t even got to the main heavy hitter yet. Ok so now water/garbage Bill. This will vary widely depending on where you live but let’s say $80 a month. Now we down to roughly $11,600.

Now we get to the big one, since you say you would be saving for a house in this hypothetical then we are going to assume you are renting and that the rent is purely on the dwelling. Avg cost to rent varies greatly from state to state but we will look at the cheapest state for giggles. According to rentals.com, the cheapest place in America to rent is Greenville, TN with the avg rent being $763 a month. That’s $9,919 a year. That drops you down to having $1681 to save per year. And this is assuming you do literally nothing else and I’m probably leaving something out that might be a basic necessity. The median house price in America now is $416,000. So in this scenario, no other income, no side hustles, no lotto winnings, it would take you literally over 247 years to save enough to buy that house. And that’s just bare minimum basic society living these days. That also assumes you have nothing come up, ever. Simply put it’s not doable. You would either have to live out of a cabin in the woods with no amenities and feed off scraps from throw outs, hunt or live off the land, while working with zero bills for it to even be feasible. And let me remind you, not even the illegals do that.

Now you could do like the illegals do and rent an apartment and live 10 up in there rotating shifts and sleep schedules so you got a bed when the other dudes are at work and so on and then split the rent and bills 10 ways. That would buy you a lot of extra umph and is how they used to do it before the handouts, but most americans ain’t gonna do that. So no, in reality $50,000 is not IMO a reasonable living wage.

Sure you could drive an old car and save on the car payment and so some other things to maybe get that savings up to $12000 a year but it would still take you 35 years to save the ouch scrap to afford the $416,000 house. And by then I suspect the avg house costs would be double that so you still wouldn’t be able to do it. Your best hope would be to buy a cheap house, pay the payments, live in it 10-15 years and build up some equity in it while saving as much as you can. By then you might have some savings and enough to have a decent down payment on the avg median house in America. This is the way most people do it. And again, this isnt assuming a lot of variables that could change over the years, like you getting raises and so forth. Needless to say, I still don’t think $50,000 is really a livable wage. Shit I d on t even really think $70k-$80k is good. It’s doable but that’s like minimum. I don’t know how anyone makin for under $50k makes it, without any help or working multiple jobs. So we have a conundrum. People screaming the minimum wage isn’t a livable wage is correct. It’s not. Not even close. But you aren’t meant to stay there. On the other hand, we can’t just pay everyone $28/hr either.

Ideally people would be working to get to a better place while gov is simultaneously working to better the economic conditions for their fellow man, AKA bringing in new companies and tech and so on. But they aren’t. And we also have companies keeping people in certain classes by not sharing their wealth either with better pay or bonuses or training so they can move up. It’s crazy town out there. $50,000 in our parents generation was good money. $100k like my dad made was ridiculously good back then. And a millionaire was considered super wealthy. Nowadays claiming a millionaire status ain’t really a big deal because it’s no longer a lot of money. I’d say our buying power is literally half or less of what they had for the same amount of dinero. Why in the hell i just spent 20 minutes typing up what all of us already know is beyond me.

Let me speak to the other side of this - as someone who's currently unemployed and has been seeking employment for months now.

I'm not afraid of hard work - I spent summers working on the oil rigs (drilling & service) to pay my way through college, where I obtained an engineering degree. Upon graduation I went to work for a "super major" O&G firm, working on complex major capital upstream projects with progressing roles & responsibilities, all over the world. I've been responsible for leading and mentoring teams of engineers, and in charge of operational onsite management for drilling & completion projects. I've honed my skillsets as a leader, mentor, supervisor, manager, problem solver, etc.

Ended up leaving that career in O&G to find something more suited for the lifestyle my family and I want. Went back to school to get a Masters in a field of architecture. Got a 4.00 GPA. Was selected to be the graduate speaker of my D1 college.

I've got a very diverse background and skillset. Degrees in engineering (STEM) and design (architecture). I've worked long hard hours doing manual labor. I've honed my skillsets as a problem solver, leader and mentor. Managed multidisciplinary teams on complex major capital projects. Went back to school and got a masters in a completely different field - the field of design, and excelled in that as well. Multiple different worlds in which I've proven that I can excel in.

Yet I can't get a job. I've applied for hundreds of jobs at this point. LinkedIn. ZipRecruiter. Indeed. Google job boards. Recruiting firms. The list goes on. I know that I'm a good worker. I know that I'm skilled. I know that I'm smart and can very well figure things out - whether it's in engineering, design, or implementation/project execution. But I can't get matched up with a job. It's been an incredibly frustrating and demoralizing process. Prospective employers seem to be looking for very specific skillsets and backgrounds, and I guess HR and/or their AI screening tools don't recognize the skillsets that I possess.

So there are good skilled workers out there looking for employment. The issue isn't one sided.

Let me speak to the other side of this - as someone who's currently unemployed and has been seeking employment for months now.

I'm not afraid of hard work - I spent summers working on the oil rigs (drilling & service) to pay my way through college, where I obtained an engineering degree. Upon graduation I went to work for a "super major" O&G firm, working on complex major capital upstream projects with progressing roles & responsibilities, all over the world. I've been responsible for leading and mentoring teams of engineers, and in charge of operational onsite management for drilling & completion projects. I've honed my skillsets as a leader, mentor, supervisor, manager, problem solver, etc.

Ended up leaving that career in O&G to find something more suited for the lifestyle my family and I want. Went back to school to get a Masters in a field of architecture. Got a 4.00 GPA. Was selected to be the graduate speaker of my D1 college.

I've got a very diverse background and skillset. Degrees in engineering (STEM) and design (architecture). I've worked long hard hours doing manual labor. I've honed my skillsets as a problem solver, leader and mentor. Managed multidisciplinary teams on complex major capital projects. Went back to school and got a masters in a completely different field - the field of design, and excelled in that as well. Multiple different worlds in which I've proven that I can excel in.

Yet I can't get a job. I've applied for hundreds of jobs at this point. LinkedIn. ZipRecruiter. Indeed. Google job boards. Recruiting firms. The list goes on. I know that I'm a good worker. I know that I'm skilled. I know that I'm smart and can very well figure things out - whether it's in engineering, design, or implementation/project execution. But I can't get matched up with a job. It's been an incredibly frustrating and demoralizing process. Prospective employers seem to be looking for very specific skillsets and backgrounds, and I guess HR and/or their AI screening tools don't recognize the skillsets that I possess.

So there are good skilled workers out there looking for employment. The issue isn't one sided.
The companies that need your skill sets and experience would rather higher someone with brown skin from another country that will work for half the pay or a female under 50 years of age.

I hope that you can find something soon.

Over qualified.
They don't want someone to be the VP. Lose some of your qualifications on your resume and you will get a job. It's like being an NFL quarterback. There's only so many positions available and they are currently filled. Trim down the resume and get the position available and then see if you can work your way up.

Anymore "AI sees" your info first, and will trigger off of specific words, degree, college....... If you don't have the "buzz words" in your info it will not get flagged. End of story.

We all know it is not suppose to work this way, but after you crest 50, you are not the first choice for anyone no matter how good you are. After that age, in general medical issues start, more sick time. This is naturally a general rule, and nothing is ever said out loud by anyone but I "know" it is there. Getting your foot in the door is pretty rough if you are "old" IMHO.

Personally I am looking for paid interns. (KIDS). And my god are they a sorry lot. Problem solving skills are near zero. Thinking period let alone thinking outside the box just does not exist. And these are kids that are "interested" in IT. None of them can think on their feet, none are "self starters" and all need to be micro managed. I am just not wired to do that, I can't micro manage. He is looking for something to do, right now I have nothing. Grab a server off the stack and play with it. Load this on it, load that on it, grab a workstation setup a little lab in the build area.....deer in headlights.

I just checked, the next 632 days can not pass fast enough.

Over qualified.
They don't want someone to be the VP. Lose some of your qualifications on your resume and you will get a job. It's like being an NFL quarterback. There's only so many positions available and they are currently filled. Trim down the resume and get the position available and then see if you can work your way up.

Very good point. I was in that spot when I left Coca Cola, VERY well paid and no one would hire me. Finally one place did. About a week later we are BS-ing, and he is asking about coke. I told him it was total hell but it paid REAL well, I wanted to slow down. Really what did it pay? A little over 1.5x what you are currently paying me. OH? That was over 20 years ago and I am still here, but I am well past ready for it to be over. I am just tired.

For the over-50 over-qualified crowd I have a question. I'm not trying to start a debate because I'm ignorant on this strategy.

Have you thought about being a contractor for some of the companies that are reluctant to hire you? That way you could earn something on a temporary basis at the same time getting more exposure.

Are there any advantages to contract work? Disadvantages? Is it a total waste of time?

It’s not that people don’t want to work, it’s that employers don’t want to pay what those people feel their time is worth.

That’s why da’ ‘gubmint is happy to import and bus wage suppressors all over the country.
You were halfway right

It’s not they dont want to work

They don’t have to work. With all the welfare , .gov “jobs” etc

Guaranteed to never be hungry. Or outside. Or cold. Or hot.

a empty belly is the best motivator

Reactions: ken226
For the over-50 over-qualified crowd I have a question. I'm not trying to start a debate because I'm ignorant on this strategy.

Have you thought about being a contractor for some of the companies that are reluctant to hire you? That way you could earn something on a temporary basis at the same time getting more exposure.

Are there any advantages to contract work? Disadvantages? Is it a total waste of time?
Advantages - Less supervisors over you, set your own hours, kind of. Depending on the kind of work you do, you could work from home.

Disadvantages - you pay for your own insurance. Not being an employee of the company, you have no group insurance plan.

As others have said, if a company can replace you with someone younger at half the wage, they will.

I am painted in a corner. I am scaring the hell out of 60 and my expertise and career is in electrical construction. And have a big, fat, and juicy license. most companies are not going to hire because of the license. They think I am going to try and run their company. And they can get 3 guys a third of my age who will be quantifiably faster on the manual excavator thingy (the shovel.) It's just a fact, you slow down as you age. So, I am trying to hang on until retirement.

Also, the other thing about being over the hill is that now you are going downhill.

And picking up speed.

a empty belly is the best motivator
tenor.gif

Reactions: Yasherka
relates directly to the participation trophy generation
His mother said that was beneath her son
Amen

split households. Mommy gets kids. Doesn’t let them / want them to work.

Plus kids can’t legally do a lot of work anymore. Kids used to come to work with their parents and learn things. My 2.5 year old comes to work all the time. At 8 he will know more and be a better driver than most 16-20 year olds these days

Get out of high school or college at 18 or 21 never having worked a job. You are made when you are young. They will never have work ethic.

Participation trophy’s / not keeping score makes them never learn what it’s like to have to push hard to get something done. Or lose / fail and learn from that.

Reactions: Milo 2.5
It’s got nothing to do with the participation trophy generation since this issue spans multiple generations of workers.
Lol they’ve been doing participation trophy’s since the 90s.

Oh, and in the mid 2000’s I’d have laughed at your $20 to mow a lawn too.
Perfect job for high school kids or some welfare recipient or someone wanting an extra $360 a week

But mommy’s demanding Johnny be given a new car and gas money

And .gov is stealing our tax money to give the welfare recipients / .gov “workers” a cushy lifestyle

This is simple an honest wage doesn't afford what it should

so people have simply given up

I make pretty good bank doin what I am but the wages haven't gotten any better in a decade or more.

My old man was makin 30 odd k a year in the 80's and could afford a house in 2 years if he saved everything and lived off what my mother earned.

Nowadays the cost of a basic home is at a minimum 300,000.

The average wage is 50,000

so u gotta save for at least 6 years
That doesn’t work.

Compare the house size , number of cars and lifestyle / luxury’s of people from the time period you are comparing to

Lol they’ve been doing participation trophy’s since the 90s.

Perfect job for high school kids or some welfare recipient or someone wanting an extra $360 a week

But mommy’s demanding Johnny be given a new car and gas money

And .gov is stealing our tax money to give the welfare recipients / .gov “workers” a cushy lifestyle
Participation trophies go back a lot farther than the 90’s. That’s why there is 2nd place, 3rd place, etc.

There is only one winner. 2nd place and third place trophies are ‘you did gooder than the rest of the losers’ trophies.

Also, $360 a week at $20 per lawn is 18 lawns per week. If that were a 40 hour work week then that’s $9 per hour which is small money for hot, stanky, sweaty work. A teenager would be well ahead to take their $5.25 in the AC at McDonald’s in the mid 2000’s.

For the welfare recipient that would be 160 hours, or 72 lawns, of hot, stanky, sweaty work for $1,440 per month

Literally no one is going to cut 72 lawns in a month for $1,440. Even in the mid 2000’s that would be a losing proposition for the grass cutter.

It all sounds good when screaming “Dem dare bums needs be workin for dey dolla!”, but when you do the math it shows that it is actually retarded to cut 72 lawns per month for $20 a lawn.

Most mowing services out here are tractors because people have acreage. 100-150 per hour typically. A goofy friend of mine tried to do it for 65$ an hour with a small tractor and it wasn't sustainable.

When I owned a small lot in town the CCRs required it to be mowed/weed whacked and I paid 90$ each time for the guy to do it. Usually once a month.

Lawn care companies in town pay their people about 20-25$ an hour. So people are doing the work but you're not going to get anyone to come out to your house to do a one-off. It's not worth it for the company or the employee.
I
Own
The
Mowers

All the people bitching about not having enough money / can’t afford that ZCO etc. Could make an easy $360 each week on a Saturday or a few evenings.

Gravy work

Oh snd I forgot to add, the job market is fucked up right now. We got very low skilled people making ridiculous money while the skilled labor ain’t really making what they are worth. I read somewhere the other day that house keeping in some of these places they are housing the illegals are making $20,000 a week! $20,000 fucking a week for cleaning hotels and shit! WTF? I’m sure every engineer out there building stuff is scratching their heads right now. I know we got good engineers only making like $150k, some of them barely even $90k. While the company may think that is a lot, it’s not. In fact it ain’t shit. My dad was making $100k after he got out of the Air Force back in the 80’s. $100k in the 80’s was actually something. $70-$100k today is like equivalent to $35k in the 80’s. That’s how much buying power of the dollar has dropped.

This smells like bullshit

The job market today is the absolute best (from a job seeker POV) that I have seen in the 29 years that I've been working in the private sector.

I am currently looking for a better job because I am underpaid and I am having a very easy time landing first, second, and now third interviews for jobs paying 20 - 25% more than I currently make and doing the same thing.

As far as pay, your numbers also sound like you don't know WTF you're talking about. I find it extremely hard to believe that your dad was making six figures after getting out of the AF back nearly 40 years ago unless he went straight to VP or CEO of a major defense contractor. I'm old enough to remember what people actually made back then.

Salaries are relative to where you live. Where I live you will absofuckinglutely not find any engineers making $150K unless you are some sort of network or software engineer in a very, very niche specialty. Where I live you also can live very, very well on $100 - $120K if you live within your means (something that is lost on a shitload of 40 and under people these days).

And if you're unhappy with your compensation, stop being a pussy, keep upgrading your skills, and more importantly keep racking up documented success in what you do. Doing so makes you marketable and in today's job market you suck if you can't find a job paying what you want.

I
Own
The
Mowers

All the people bitching about not having enough money / can’t afford that ZCO etc. Could make an easy $360 each week on a Saturday or a few evenings.

Gravy work
Yeah, it’s just 18 lawns per week you have to cut sometime after work or on the weekends. Hope the homeowners provide the equipment, travel fuel, snacks, and drinks for you.

I am not sure you work in the tech part of the world but it is an open secret in tech that the only way to get raises is to job hop like mad. Makes no sense to me but I'm not in the C-suite so perhaps I'm just too stupid to understand.
Job hopping is the only way to get raises. In any professional sector.

I've been in the same place for 13 years. No more. Six weeks ago I said fuckit, setup an indeed account and went after it. In the last 3 weeks I have more interviews for jobs that pay a hell of a lot more doing things that I have the demonstrated ability to do well.

Instant 15 - 25% pay raise that way. I probably have 10 more years FT in the work force. From now on I'm gone at the next available higher paying/more responsibility opportunity.

Last edited:
View attachment 8235854

Are none of you reading the thread ?

$360
Is 12 hours mowing times $30 per hour at one (my) location.

12 hours.

$30 per hour
My apologies, I thought you were referencing the price other fella you quoted who offered $20 to get his grass cut, since you quoted his post and all.

You provide the mower, gas, snacks, and a water source and I’ll give you 12 hours of my life for $40 per hour.

Plz explain to me what an office manager does that makes her worth 6 figures and on 30hrs a week.
Why do you think you're owed an explanation?

I mean who the fuck do you think you are?

Maybe you should learn how to build leverage and how to use it to get more cash.

My wife is a manger of engineers at our country's largest defense contractor. She has work-from-home millennials that are blatantly lying and cheating the system and she is not allowed, (by company policy), to tell them they are not doing a good job. She has to use phrases like "we may need to find you work more suited to your skill sets". Not allowed to be truthful to preserve feelings. The actual stories are jaw dropping. They did just finally fire a guy after a multiweek investigation to document and prove he was doing less than 10 hours of work a week but charging the programs 40+. Same guy got a 20K sign on bonus and relocation package just a year ago and got to keep all of it.

I worked for one of those right out of college.

My FIL at the time retired from a firm like that as a C-level. In his heyday he put up the first spy satellites. Before that he led teams to outfit US navy ships with radar. He was a zero fucks kind of guy. Started out in the Army as a signals guy, enlisted, got his degree from UCLA in electrical engineering, then worked his way up. I met some of his friends from when he was working as a student at his retirement party. Huge union guys crying that the man was retiring.

The stories were legend. He had Navy ships' COBs throw all their tools over the side because he was done with shitty tools that broke. Several times he tool a monkey wrench to men who threatened him. Knocked them out cold. Once stayed on a ship for three weeks until stuff was fixed - supervising two crews around the clock. He fired several testing heads who did not make sure testing on the sats was done right. anyone into leadership roles based solely on merit. And he was a short, fat, balding guy. Nothing to look at - but had an iron will, knew what good looked like, took time to teach, and was the first to arrive and last to leave.

I left after my first year after doing the work of six people. They gave all us new hires a 3% raise regardless of our abilities. Then asked us to clean up the mess left by others. I managed the build systems and ran stats on everyone's code production. Just 10% of the team did 90% of the code!! I met the CEO. He was a decrepit old man that Biden reminds me of. And he was surrounded by ass kissers. I went to another DOD project. Same shit. Long schedule, no go getters, little talent. I could do my job for the week in two hours. And once I understood the project, I realized that not only would I not want to use it, no one else would. I bet outside of maintenance, 80% of the DOD vendors' workforce could be let go and things would run better.

She started at $32,500 as a part time office manager and has tripled that in three and a half years. This is at a CPA firm. Her position was supposed to have zero upward mobility.

When I started referring out bookkeeping work she took it upon herself to get a bunch of different bookkeeping certs and became an enrolled agent with the IRS. Tax season came around and I noticed (almost) all year end adjusting entries were already done when client work papers reached my desk.

Then she started started adding finished drafts of the returns with the work papers to review rather than complete. She probably completes and bills out north of $150k annually on top of keeping the place running. There’s no question she’s worth it.

The top 3 PMs at my firm are all moms without degrees with kids in HS. Running a project is about managing budgets and keeping things on schedule with the assigned resources. And giving zero fucks.

Depends on where you live

Where I live skilled jobs in engineering and manufacturing (particularly tooling design and manufacturing engineering) go unfilled for months.

But nobody wants to live in flyover country or work in manufacturing any more.

Reactions: kthomas
Yeah cause fuck making extra money for a few afternoons or Saturdays.

plus students etc
Apparently those afternoons or Saturdays are worth more than $360 apiece to potential workers.

And that’s if you can save 100% of your money, which we all know is impossible. Of that $50,000 you might get to keep about $36,000 of it. Then add in your costs to get back and forth to work, AKA wear and tear on a vehicle, etc. I spend $120 a week going back and forth to work. If I drive in 5 days then thats $480 a month just in gas, that’s $5760 a year. So you are already roughly at $30,000 and you haven’t even bought anything. We will say $400 a month for groceries for an average family and that’s cheap, really depends on where you are. So now you are at roughly $25,000. Still haven’t really bought anything. Let’s say you have a average size house with an average electric bill, we will call it $150 a month or $1800 a year which is probably pretty damn cheap for a lot of people. I know my summer months bills are north of $400 a month. So now you at $23,000 and still haven’t bought anything. Average cable and internet bill, we will call $200 a month. So now you are down to $20,600 and still haven’t bought anything. Now let’s say you got a car note and say the average car note is $400 a month. Oh shit. Now you down to roughly $15,000 and you still just in basics survival mode. We will say auto insurance for that ride is $100 a month. Now you down to $13,800. Cell phone Bill probably $100 a month. Now you down to $12,600 and we still haven’t even got to the main heavy hitter yet. Ok so now water/garbage Bill. This will vary widely depending on where you live but let’s say $80 a month. Now we down to roughly $11,600.

Now we get to the big one, since you say you would be saving for a house in this hypothetical then we are going to assume you are renting and that the rent is purely on the dwelling. Avg cost to rent varies greatly from state to state but we will look at the cheapest state for giggles. According to rentals.com, the cheapest place in America to rent is Greenville, TN with the avg rent being $763 a month. That’s $9,919 a year. That drops you down to having $1681 to save per year. And this is assuming you do literally nothing else and I’m probably leaving something out that might be a basic necessity. The median house price in America now is $416,000. So in this scenario, no other income, no side hustles, no lotto winnings, it would take you literally over 247 years to save enough to buy that house. And that’s just bare minimum basic society living these days. That also assumes you have nothing come up, ever. Simply put it’s not doable. You would either have to live out of a cabin in the woods with no amenities and feed off scraps from throw outs, hunt or live off the land, while working with zero bills for it to even be feasible. And let me remind you, not even the illegals do that.

Now you could do like the illegals do and rent an apartment and live 10 up in there rotating shifts and sleep schedules so you got a bed when the other dudes are at work and so on and then split the rent and bills 10 ways. That would buy you a lot of extra umph and is how they used to do it before the handouts, but most americans ain’t gonna do that. So no, in reality $50,000 is not IMO a reasonable living wage.

Sure you could drive an old car and save on the car payment and so some other things to maybe get that savings up to $12000 a year but it would still take you 35 years to save the ouch scrap to afford the $416,000 house. And by then I suspect the avg house costs would be double that so you still wouldn’t be able to do it. Your best hope would be to buy a cheap house, pay the payments, live in it 10-15 years and build up some equity in it while saving as much as you can. By then you might have some savings and enough to have a decent down payment on the avg median house in America. This is the way most people do it. And again, this isnt assuming a lot of variables that could change over the years, like you getting raises and so forth. Needless to say, I still don’t think $50,000 is really a livable wage. Shit I d on t even really think $70k-$80k is good. It’s doable but that’s like minimum. I don’t know how anyone makin for under $50k makes it, without any help or working multiple jobs. So we have a conundrum. People screaming the minimum wage isn’t a livable wage is correct. It’s not. Not even close. But you aren’t meant to stay there. On the other hand, we can’t just pay everyone $28/hr either.

Ideally people would be working to get to a better place while gov is simultaneously working to better the economic conditions for their fellow man, AKA bringing in new companies and tech and so on. But they aren’t. And we also have companies keeping people in certain classes by not sharing their wealth either with better pay or bonuses or training so they can move up. It’s crazy town out there. $50,000 in our parents generation was good money. $100k like my dad made was ridiculously good back then. And a millionaire was considered super wealthy. Nowadays claiming a millionaire status ain’t really a big deal because it’s no longer a lot of money. I’d say our buying power is literally half or less of what they had for the same amount of dinero. Why in the hell i just spent 20 minutes typing up what all of us already know is beyond me.
Once again the problem is .gov
Taxes.

And all the hidden taxes costs and fees imposed by .gov that are passed on in the form of higher priced goods and services.
Like affirmative action / watermelon environmentalism
Etc

Apparently those afternoons or Saturdays are worth more than $360 apiece to potential workers.
And those same lazy mfers are more than happy to vote for more income property estate taxes for those people that chose to work harder.

Parasites

She started at $32,500 as a part time office manager and has tripled that in three and a half years. This is at a CPA firm. Her position was supposed to have zero upward mobility.

When I started referring out bookkeeping work she took it upon herself to get a bunch of different bookkeeping certs and became an enrolled agent with the IRS. Tax season came around and I noticed (almost) all year end adjusting entries were already done when client work papers reached my desk.

Then she started started adding finished drafts of the returns with the work papers to review rather than complete. She probably completes and bills out north of $150k annually on top of keeping the place running. There’s no question she’s worth it.

This is how you get ahead in any professional occupation. You constantly increase what you can do, then you do it and demonstrate results.

If the employer you do that for won't reward that achievement, some other one will so you give 2 weeks and fuck right off.

Loyalty goes both ways.

If you're over 50, you're a liability to them.

I'm over 50 and having zero trouble getting interviews. And I'm not just talking about the first phone screening......

Again, if you live in a state where everyone wants to live job hunting sucks more than one in which no one wants to move to based on preconceived notions.

• Love
Reactions: Bigfatcock