• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The reason employees suck and there’s a shortage of them

If you're over 50, you're a liability to them
I'm over 50 and having zero trouble getting interviews. And I'm not just talking about the first phone screening......

Again, if you live in a state where everyone wants to live job hunting sucks more than one in which no one wants to move to based on preconceived notions.

I think most of the older folks in your state keep coming to mine. 😄😄

Reactions: Snipe260
IMG_4919.jpeg

Oregon, 1939...

Caption

Young mother, aged twenty-two, has one little girl three years old. Merrill, Klamath County, Oregon. In mobile unit of FSA (Farm Security Administration) camp. New baby expected in December. During this year she has worked with her husband in: strawberries (Helvetia, Oregon); cherries (Salem, Oregon); beans (West Stayton, Oregon); hops (Independence, Oregon). Is now in potato pickers' camp at the end of that season. "We haven't got a cent now and we've lost our car because we've helped some people out. It seems like it's taken every cent to eat off, that and traveling around."

Source

Farm Security Administration

Reactions: Oldloser
If you're over 50, you're a liability to them

I think you're projecting.

People with my skills and record of achievement are in very high demand in the local mfg industry. Employers KNOW they're not going to get those skills and knowledge from someone with 5 years in the work force no matter which university they went to.

Again, if you live in a state where everyone wants to live job hunting sucks more than one in which no one wants to move to based on preconceived notions.
I’ve seen this a lot over the years.

Guy: No jobs in my area!
Me: Move.
Guy: Muh roots and comfort zone.
Me: Have fun being broke.

Sort of related:

I prefer to work for and take jobs from women. They pay better and have a better understanding of the value of your time.

I throw this example out quite a bit with custom woodworking.

A man wants exhibition walnut grips, fitted to their gun, and for around $150. There are 10 hours of work in a set of custom grips at my $40 an hour for my time.

A man won’t buy a $500 walnut rifle blank and spend another $700-$1,500 to have it made and checkered. They’ll want to spend about $250 and you better thank them for the opportunity.

Women on the on the other hand will shell out $1,000+ in the blink of an eye for a table that is just a rectangle with a frame that can be made pretty much straight off the machines, and that’s with Home Depot wood.

They’ll gladly spend bigger bucks for better wood species, joinery, finishes, etc and won’t bat an eye at the price.

IME women have always paid me more for my labor too.

I’m retired and live off of interest and rental income so it’s really all moot for me at this time, but just an observation of mine.

Last edited:
Not projecting at all, I'm not job hunting.

If you've been out of the market for more than 3 - 4 years then your ideas about age discrimination aren't reality today.

Does it still happen? Sure it does. Is it the hiring killer people think it is. Absolutely not. I can read between the lines of the interviwers' comments very well.

Reactions: brianf
I’ve seen this a lot over the years.

Guy: No jobs in my area!
Me: Move.
Guy: Muh roots and comfort zone.
Me: Have fun being broke.

I live in the Miami River valley region of OH. There are good and great paying mfg jobs here that go unfilled for months.

So people who want jobs in CA, FL, R-D NC, and other popular places, but can't find them get no sympathy.

In fact, I moved to this area about 20 years ago for more job opportunities in manufacturing, and I was proven right.

I mean look at this shit:

2000 jobs in a state of the art mfg facility making the products of the future. How many people from other states like CA, FL, NC, TX, etc will think of moving here? LOL

Reactions: Oldloser
Yeah cause fuck making extra money for a few afternoons or Saturdays.

plus students etc
I mean you could do it yourself and then you are paying yourself $30 an hour. You would have to be a lazy fuck not to take that money...Right?:ROFLMAO:

People would be quitting their real jobs around here for that kind of money. You buy plane tickets too or pay mileage? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: E. Bryant
That doesn’t work.

Compare the house size , number of cars and lifestyle / luxury’s of people from the time period you are comparing to
THe size of houses for the price now is tiny

The size of house my old man had was massive 4 bedroom 2 living rooms 2 bathrooms a swimming pool...

If the supply wasnt constantly chewed up by foreign investment there may have been a chance.

THe size of houses for the price now is tiny

The size of house my old man had was massive 4 bedroom 2 living rooms 2 bathrooms a swimming pool...

If the supply wasnt constantly chewed up by foreign investment there may have been a chance.
Supply isn’t the problem.

The oligarchy printing money to steal for itself and its buddies, and to bribe like welfare and .gov jobs and “foreign aid” aka money laundering

is destroying the value of the dollar / inflating the cost of goods faster than wages can keep up

My apologies, I thought you were referencing the price other fella you quoted who offered $20 to get his grass cut, since you quoted his post and all.

You provide the mower, gas, snacks, and a water source and I’ll give you 12 hours of my life for $40 per hour.
$20 was for an hour to cut the grass for spending money Saturday night in 2002. He ended up moving cars in the service department at a dealership for $10 an hour and it didn't last long.

Depends on where you live

Where I live skilled jobs in engineering and manufacturing (particularly tooling design and manufacturing engineering) go unfilled for months.

But nobody wants to live in flyover country or work in manufacturing any more.
I wouldn't move back to Ohio. Left Youngstown in 85.

I wonder what they'll pay in Ohio compared to California. They had a couple of jobs that sound interesting. I'm even less interested in California.

Last edited:
This is the best time I have ever seen for a young person with no education or training. A blank slate.

By that I mean if you are a young man (mainly, or woman) and could think out in time 5 years from now. Pick a successful business in an industry that is growing. Walk right into that business and do your best to avoid HR. Maybe walk around the building and come in the back.

Find the most senior person you can. The CEO if you can get there. Tell them that you want to work there. Tell them you will work hard, come to work on time, can pass a drug screen and won't steal items or payroll. But because you are a going to be a great employee, you want the full benefits package to start on day one, you want to be eligible for the education plan on day one, and you want to be fast-tracked into higher responsibility. If they balk, turn and walk away. Go to the next location. This was not the place. But the next one will be.

After they revive the managers with a AED, you will not just get a job, you will get a start on a journey to success beyond your peers wildest imagination. The sky is the limit.

There is not one in a million young people in this country who have the desire and work ethic to do this. Which is why it will work.

This smells like bullshit
What exactly smells like BS? Not everyone’s situation is the same, nor is everywhere in the country the same.

The job market today is the absolute best (from a job seeker POV) that I have seen in the 29 years that I've been working in the private sector.
Depends on a lot of variables but overall I’d agree with you.

I am currently looking for a better job because I am underpaid and I am having a very easy time landing first, second, and now third interviews for jobs paying 20 - 25% more than I currently make and doing the same thing.
I’m doing the same, except I’m not finding anyone wanting to pay more. From my experience, they are throwing less benefits, want me to work even more hours for less money and have less freedom. No thanks.

As far as pay, your numbers also sound like you don't know WTF you're talking about. I find it extremely hard to believe that your dad was making six figures after getting out of the AF back nearly 40 years ago unless he went straight to VP or CEO of a major defense contractor. I'm old enough to remember what people actually made back then.
Nope. Just made it up. We didn’t live well, drive nice cars or have fancy things. Most people considered us rich. Yes, we lived well and I know exactly what he made.

Salaries are relative to where you live. Where I live you will absofuckinglutely not find any engineers making $150K unless you are some sort of network or software engineer in a very, very niche specialty. Where I live you also can live very, very well on $100 - $120K if you live within your means (something that is lost on a shitload of 40 and under people these days).
I can tell you we have the land of plenty of engineers at my firm making 6 figures. It’s not what it used to be.

And if you're unhappy with your compensation, stop being a pussy, keep upgrading your skills, and more importantly keep racking up documented success in what you do. Doing so makes you marketable and in today's job market you suck if you can't find a job paying what you want.
That’s exactly what I’m doing. Looking and interviewing. So far nobody is wanting to even pay my current salary. They want the skills but don’t want to pay.

Why do you think you're owed an explanation?

I mean who the fuck do you think you are?

Maybe you should learn how to build leverage and how to use it to get more cash.
Im sorry, but you literally just stated most engineers in your area aren’t making what Vinnie is paying his office manager. Not to knock an office manager position, but I don’t think most people would even remotely try to compare those positions in relation to salary. I mean an office manager doesn’t require a degree or any professionally trained skill set. You could literally become an office manager outside of HS, compare that to an engineer and perhaps you can figure out why I was curious. By your own words engineers in your neck of the woods don’t make what Vinnie pays this woman. So yes if absolutely wonder why she is worth that. We have a number of office managers at my firm, they are all very good but none of them are making anywhere near that cheese, nor should they, they don’t bring the same worth to the table as the engineers at our company. Vinnie thinks his is worth it and that’s awesome. If he thinks she brings that much value then great. Maybe she does for him. But it’s a bit odd to me because it’s kind of like comparing a burger flipper to a world known orthopedic surgeon. Again nothing against office managers, just two different ends of the spectrum. Or perhaps my knowledge of what an office manager is, does, brings to the table is lacking. But I know what ours do and it’s nothing that I couldn’t hire pretty much anyone to do, granted I’m also of the opinion that anyone can be trained to do pretty much anything, although some people will always be better than others.

Regardless, at the end of the day, in the above example, one could literally be hired off the street and one had to go through schooling, then specialized training, pass exams, carry a license and insurance and so forth and has to take a lot more risks. They should automatically be paid better. If I was an engineer at our firm and found out the office manager is making as much as a Senior Engineer then I’d be gone, right there on the spot, I’d walk. That’s crazy.

On the other hand, I’m surprised a lot more senior guys aren’t walking because I can tell you the last generation had to work up and earn their spot, the new generation, for whatever reason is being handed the entire platter right out of school. Companies are bending over backwards trying to recruit people from what I’ve seen. No more having to earn your spot, you just get it all right off the bat.

You are right about the job hopping tho, best way to get a raise. I’m just grounded because of my wife’s gig who makes substantially more than I do.

Never mind, scratch everything, I literally just seen a sign at Chick-fil-a supposedly hiring for $25 an hour.

@kthomas message me. Where are you located? Any possibility of moving? I may be able to help you out.

Last edited:
Regardless, at the end of the day, in the above example, one could literally be hired off the street and one had to go through schooling, then specialized training, pass exams, carry a license and insurance and so forth and has to take a lot more risks. They should automatically be paid better.
You're seriously deluded if you think this. No fucking wonder you can't get ahead.

No one gives a shit about your diploma, licenses, titles, expenses, college debt, or anything else that you mentioned that makes you think one profession should be paid more than another.

If I even get a hint of that attitude in a candidate that's an immediate do not hire.

The value you create for the business is the only thing that matters. Vinnie even laid it out for you and it all went right over your head.

I feel sorry for you.

Reactions: brianf
You're seriously deluded if you think this. No fucking wonder you can't get ahead.

No one gives a shit about your diploma, licenses, titles, expenses, college debt, or anything else that you mentioned that makes you think one profession should be paid more than another.

If I even get a hint of that attitude in a candidate that's an immediate do not hire.

The value you create for the business is the only thing that matters.

I feel sorry for you.

No shit? Damn. Thanks for pointing that out. I’m sure we all already know that. If you had bothered to read the thread you’d know that a lot of businesses are reaping the benefits of employees that bring a lot to the biz but are not paying that back in any semblance of wages, bonuses etc. to keep the good employees they have, you know the majority of what this entire fucking discussion is about. Wow. They’d rather roll the dice with a low level fresh gringo than offer more to their good senior employees to retain them, but then the same businesses will turn around and bitch about not being able to find good qualified people lmao. This includes the current firm I work for, which does billions in work a year and I’m somewhat responsible for their recruiting. So I might just happen to know a little bit about this stuff.

Now that we got that out of the way and you have given us your “value” statement, I don’t want to hear anyone bitch from now on about the burger flipper making $22 an hour.

You aren’t gonna know what any real Fucking value anyone brings until you hire them unless it’s at a place like a hamburger stand where you know you just need a body and you know that most people won’t do it so you have to pay something well enough to entice people to come to keep rolling in the money. In that case, yes, they bring the value you need. But not all positions are measured by such simplicity. So if you don’t go by any of the previously listed measures then please tell us how you should decide to hire someone or not? Anyone can BS some experience. So please enlighten us. If I’m a client I damn sure want to have a good licensed experienced beginner working on my project vs low Bob. No wonder everyone has you on fucking ignore.

Oh and average salary for an office manager across the nation from all sources I found is $18-$28/hr which is a far cry from the 6 figures Vinnie says he pays his. That tells me that yes, she is worth it to him and that he is a generous guy who really appreciates what she brings. He doesn’t think of her as another wage slave making him money. He really values her, which also speaks to his character. Unfortunately, the bulk of businesses, especially large ones, do not share this trait.

Last edited:
Let me speak to the other side of this - as someone who's currently unemployed and has been seeking employment for months now.

I'm not afraid of hard work - I spent summers working on the oil rigs (drilling & service) to pay my way through college, where I obtained an engineering degree. Upon graduation I went to work for a "super major" O&G firm, working on complex major capital upstream projects with progressing roles & responsibilities, all over the world. I've been responsible for leading and mentoring teams of engineers, and in charge of operational onsite management for drilling & completion projects. I've honed my skillsets as a leader, mentor, supervisor, manager, problem solver, etc.

Ended up leaving that career in O&G to find something more suited for the lifestyle my family and I want. Went back to school to get a Masters in a field of architecture. Got a 4.00 GPA. Was selected to be the graduate speaker of my D1 college.

I've got a very diverse background and skillset. Degrees in engineering (STEM) and design (architecture). I've worked long hard hours doing manual labor. I've honed my skillsets as a problem solver, leader and mentor. Managed multidisciplinary teams on complex major capital projects. Went back to school and got a masters in a completely different field - the field of design, and excelled in that as well. Multiple different worlds in which I've proven that I can excel in.

Yet I can't get a job. I've applied for hundreds of jobs at this point. LinkedIn. ZipRecruiter. Indeed. Google job boards. Recruiting firms. The list goes on. I know that I'm a good worker. I know that I'm skilled. I know that I'm smart and can very well figure things out - whether it's in engineering, design, or implementation/project execution. But I can't get matched up with a job. It's been an incredibly frustrating and demoralizing process. Prospective employers seem to be looking for very specific skillsets and backgrounds, and I guess HR and/or their AI screening tools don't recognize the skillsets that I possess.

So there are good skilled workers out there looking for employment. The issue isn't one sided.
I think your problem is that whoever is doing the hiring is scared that you will take or eliminate their jobs. Just about everywhere I've worked, upper management is all about self preservation. The only way for a well qualified outcast to make it is to start and run their own business.

Most People Suck, Covid created a monster in the work force, etc, etc, etc. That is all.

The work force wasn't all that great before covid. Skilled labor and work ethic has become a thing of the past. It is tolerated more now then it ever was due to lack of people applying so companies settle for a warm body.

We have MeKaNiKs that can't fix their own service truck, yet, management sends them out to work on trucks and equipment in the field... Of course I'm the bad guy because I'm not bashful about pointing out how fucking dumb they are when they try to lie and treat me like the fucking idiot.

My apologies, I thought you were referencing the price other fella you quoted who offered $20 to get his grass cut, since you quoted his post and all.

You provide the mower, gas, snacks, and a water source and I’ll give you 12 hours of my life for $40 per hour.
I provide all said above and it’s 100 per hr! If I can’t make that. I go fishin

if you work at a hotel/motel housing migrants, you can get $100-200/hr.

No shit? Damn. Thanks for pointing that out. I’m sure we all already know that. If you had bothered to read the thread you’d know that a lot of businesses are reaping the benefits of employees that bring a lot to the biz but are not paying that back in any semblance of wages, bonuses etc. to keep the good employees they have, you know the majority of what this entire fucking discussion is about. Wow. They’d rather roll the dice with a low level fresh gringo than offer more to their good senior employees to retain them, but then the same businesses will turn around and bitch about not being able to find good qualified people lmao. This includes the current firm I work for, which does billions in work a year and I’m somewhat responsible for their recruiting. So I might just happen to know a little bit about this stuff.

Now that we got that out of the way and you have given us your “value” statement, I don’t want to hear anyone bitch from now on about the burger flipper making $22 an hour.

You aren’t gonna know what any real Fucking value anyone brings until you hire them unless it’s at a place like a hamburger stand where you know you just need a body and you know that most people won’t do it so you have to pay something well enough to entice people to come to keep rolling in the money. In that case, yes, they bring the value you need. But not all positions are measured by such simplicity. So if you don’t go by any of the previously listed measures then please tell us how you should decide to hire someone or not? Anyone can BS some experience. So please enlighten us. If I’m a client I damn sure want to have a good licensed experienced beginner working on my project vs low Bob. No wonder everyone has you on fucking ignore.

Oh and average salary for an office manager across the nation from all sources I found is $18-$28/hr which is a far cry from the 6 figures Vinnie says he pays his. That tells me that yes, she is worth it to him and that he is a generous guy who really appreciates what she brings. He doesn’t think of her as another wage slave making him money. He really values her, which also speaks to his character. Unfortunately, the bulk of businesses, especially large ones, do not share this trait.

I am certain that the attitude you bring to this conversation is the same that you bring into professional conversations about hiring promotion and compensation. No wonder they never seem to go your way.

You keep harping about experience. Value ain't just about that.

I'm just glad I'm not a 22yr old , fresh out of college or the military or even high school trying to get ahead in today's economy, unless your one of those .com types that hit the job jackpot making 100k plus its gonna be tough living the so called American dream. I'm a retired tradesman living on a modest pension , social security and A small VA disability, and if it wasn't for having paid off the house and vehicles and not having any credit card debt , I probably would be struggling, but sense I've always lived within my means and been single for the last 26 yrs with no children , I do alright, not rich by any means but can have a little fun and enjoy my golden years without worrying about money. I don't think the current young folks are going to have to same experience in their old age.

Reactions: 308pirate
So you acknowledge that inflation is real, but then blame the workforce for not accepting your less-valuable dollars.
Well I do guess it might be a teensy bit awkward for them to have to explain that all the money spent by the government is stolen from the working class. Wouldn't do to upset the peasantry...

Reactions: BurtG
Well I do guess it might be a teensy bit awkward for them to have to explain that all the money spent by the government is stolen from the working class. Wouldn't do to upset the peasantry...

I'm just impressed by the cognitive dissonance required to simultaneously bitch about the every-declining purchasing power of the dollar and the gall of the plebes to ask for more money.

I'm just glad I'm not a 22yr old , fresh out of college or the military or even high school trying to get ahead in today's economy, unless your one of those .com types that hit the job jackpot making 100k plus its gonna be tough living the so called American dream
Interestingly enough, my best friend's son is 21, a professional welder, is earning already close to 150K, has no debt, and just bought his first (modest) home.

I feel sorry for all the stupid dupes that were convinced by parents/counselors/tiktok/snapchat/instagram that university is the only path to wealth and in so doing crush themselves with debt for a borderline useless degree from a second-rate university or college then expect six figures right out of the gate.

LOL

I am certain that the attitude you bring to this conversation is the same that you bring into professional conversations about hiring promotion and compensation. No wonder they never seem to go your way.

You keep harping about experience. Value ain't just about that.
I think you are projecting. It’s ok tho. Let it all out. Who said I wasn’t getting ahead or things weren’t going my way? That’s all very subjective? What measure of getting ahead or going my way are we talking about exactly? Monetarily, I’m doing more than fine but don’t feel as if I’m getting what I should be considering I personally have brought in over $2 billion worth of work for my firm. So there is that. But yes, most people would probably consider me successful but again I guess it depends on your measure of things going someone’s way or not.

Interestingly enough, my best friend's son is 21, a professional welder, is earning already close to 150K, has no debt, and just bought his first (modest) home.

I feel sorry for all the stupid dupes that were convinced by parents/counselors/tiktok/snapchat/instagram that university is the only path to wealth and in so doing crush themselves with debt for a borderline useless degree from a second-rate university or college then expect six figures right out of the gate.

LOL
As you called BS on me, I’m gonna call BS on this. We do agree tho that I think by and large college is a scam or at minimum pay to play. As you pointed out, it’s certainly not the only path to wealth.

Last edited:
What measure of getting ahead or going my way are we talking about exactly? Monetarily, I’m doing more than fine but don’t feel as if I’m getting what I should be considering I personally have brought in over $2 billion worth of work for my firm.

Real men don't sit around bitching about that. Real men get it fixed.

If your employer won't pay you what you think you're worth, then find another one who will. If you don't find any takers, well.................there's your sign.

LOL
Very rarely does a month go by that I don’t thank my high school guidance counselor for his honesty. He said something along the lines of: “ You’re asking about college? You’re probably going to jail.”

He saved me so much money.

Last edited:
I'm just glad I'm not a 22yr old , fresh out of college or the military or even high school trying to get ahead in today's economy, unless your one of those .com types that hit the job jackpot making 100k plus its gonna be tough living the so called American dream. I'm a retired tradesman living on a modest pension , social security and A small VA disability, and if it wasn't for having paid off the house and vehicles and not having any credit card debt , I probably would be struggling, but sense I've always lived within my means and been single for the last 26 yrs with no children , I do alright, not rich by any means but can have a little fun and enjoy my golden years without worrying about money. I don't think the current young folks are going to have to same experience in their old age.
As a millennial I beg to differ. With the amount of useless young people in thw work force, if you are motivated, not on drugs, and have half a brain the world is your oyster.

I remember when I left school (many years ago now) some young people were struggling to find jobs, whereas I had people phoning me asking if I wanted to work for them (one of whoms offer I really should have taken as I would likely be creaming it now).

The hardest decision to make is what industry to get into.
So long as you get into a line of work the has good future prospects, it's very easy to stand out from the crowd and get places really quickly.
It's real easy to be a hard working, conscientious, intellegent person stuck in an industry that has few opportunities to grow, or to specialise in something that has low demand/limited options of where to live.

If you are a young person trying to make it in NYC, LA, London etc, then yes you need to be in the top 0.1% to not be scraping by.

The value you create for the business is the only thing that matters. Vinnie even laid it out for you and it all went right over your head.

I feel sorry for you.
100000%

I'm just impressed by the cognitive dissonance required to simultaneously bitch about the every-declining purchasing power of the dollar and the gall of the plebes to ask for more money.
It’s not the asking for more money.

It’s the fact they don’t need to cause of the vast welfare bullshit.

So the productive person pays both ends.

Reactions: SilentStalkr

LOL

That's not typical pay for a welder. Most generally it's a specialty type welder such as a pipeline welder, one that works at a nuclear plant and does shutdowns, or something along those lines in order to make that kind of money.

Reactions: gigamortis