• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The snows of kilimajaro

Texasflyer

Koala Gladiator
Minuteman
  • Mar 3, 2021
    Texas
    Kilimanjaro is a snow-covered mountain 19,710 feet high, and is said to be the highest mountain in Africa. Its western summit is called the Masai "Ngaje Ngai," the House of God. Close to the western summit there is the dried and frozen carcass of a leopard. No one has explained what the leopard was seeking at that altitude.

the other day i bought a thermal scope, and since then i have been thinking of the short story by hemmingway, i didnt want to post it on here because i knew i would feel like "a poor". But after thinking about it i realised that like hemmingway that is where i am happiest. I prefer to do my math with a pencil, i anneal in a water tray, i eat lunch outside with the other poors from a paper sack. I feel like the skills i have cannot be taken away when something breaks or is lost or runs out of batteries, but more importantly i feel more in touch with the roots of the hobby. I know i cant purchase skills, even though as i get older and more financially secure things that make it easier become within grasp. Do you ever feel trapped by upward mobility? Like if you get that next shiny thing maybe you will be happy? I am happy with my place in life, its not the top of the mountain, but i wont freeze to death when i look around alone and see that i made it either.

Reactions: mrdrar
    There are some who live their entire existence, wanting to be at the summit, for no reason, but the prestige of the feat. There are others who want to conquer it, and bring what they find, back down with them, to help embolden or enrich others. And yet others, never even attempt the climb.

Arguably, there is one who is the most noble of the three.

There are some who live their entire existence, wanting to be at the summit, for no reason, but the prestige of the feat. There are others who want to conquer it, and bring what they find, back down with them, to help embolden or enrich others. And yet others, never even attempt the climb.

Arguably, there is one who is the most noble of the three.
    You should read the short story with the same name as the title of the thread. Nobility is a subjective concept. I have always loved the beginning line that i posted above, was the highest leopard in the world noble for going that high? Or stupid for chasing a goat that far only to die in the snow alone? Later an explorer found the leopard and a ways away also found the remains of a goat it chased there. Ideals are subjective, colloquial even. My family are country people, we farm and work oil feild for a living. Here its considered noble to be grounded and know your roots, wanting too much usually ends badly. You would be suprised how little it takes to live a happy life. So... which of the 3 is your finest?

While ive been out hunting the past 3 nights with my new tool.... i feel like a cheater, literally anything alive glows and screams to be looked at. Its not hunting anymore, its just looking to see whats there. Im only using it to varmit hunt, skunks, coyotes, hogs, bobcats ect... its cool, i giggled. But im at odds with myself. There is a traditional part of me that hates it, feels like its cheap and will make me soft at hunting. Eventually needing it to do anything. Just dont wanna die on some mountain top that i cant get away from...

While ive been out hunting the past 3 nights with my new tool.... i feel like a cheater, literally anything alive glows and screams to be looked at. Its not hunting anymore, its just looking to see whats there. Im only using it to varmit hunt, skunks, coyotes, hogs, bobcats ect... its cool, i giggled. But im at odds with myself. There is a traditional part of me that hates it, feels like its cheap and will make me soft at hunting. Eventually needing it to do anything. Just dont wanna die on some mountain top that i cant get away from...
    I resolved that conundrum by only using mine for culling hogs. There's no sport in that, anyway. It's just killing for a cause.

So... which of the 3 is your finest?
    The person who goes to the summit, but never forgets where he's from. All roads lead back home. (#2)