• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Welding and Metalworking Thread

As promised in an earlier post. Here are some photos of a pedestrian bridge we are building for UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill, NC. If you are a UNC fan, or know the area well, this bridge will cross Manning Drive and West Drive. It connects an existing parking garage to the oncology clinic. This bridge we are building replaces a bridge that (I think) did more or less the same thing except it wasn't curved. The original bridge has been demolished and this one takes its place. This is one of 5 total sections of the bridge. The other sections are straight....so not quite so interesting. This bridge is complicated in that it both curves and changes in elevation. Sounds simple, but it really isn’t.

As you can see we built this thing on shoring posts to replicate its final position (the change in elevation, etc.). Essentially, this is just like its final resting place other than it will be 20-ish feet from the ground. For something like this it always pays to shop-assemble it prior to sending it to the site. I'm sure you can only image the problems something like this would create if it got to the site and didn't fit....we'd have a pissed off CM and ironworkers. Always better to bite the bullet and do it right the first time.

View attachment 7261586

View attachment 7261587

View attachment 7261588

View attachment 7261589

View attachment 7261590

View attachment 7261591
Very cool to see.

My wife’s favorite show is Gold Rush and every time I see them pulling apart a dredge I’m in awe that those things could be assembled back in the day.
My wife’s favorite show is Gold Rush and every time I see them pulling apart a dredge I’m in awe that those things could be assembled back in the day in the location/conditions they did it.

As promised in an earlier post. Here are some photos of a pedestrian bridge we are building for UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill, NC. If you are a UNC fan, or know the area well, this bridge will cross Manning Drive and West Drive. It connects an existing parking garage to the oncology clinic. This bridge we are building replaces a bridge that (I think) did more or less the same thing except it wasn't curved. The original bridge has been demolished and this one takes its place. This is one of 5 total sections of the bridge. The other sections are straight....so not quite so interesting. This bridge is complicated in that it both curves and changes in elevation. Sounds simple, but it really isn’t.

As you can see we built this thing on shoring posts to replicate its final position (the change in elevation, etc.). Essentially, this is just like its final resting place other than it will be 20-ish feet from the ground. For something like this it always pays to shop-assemble it prior to sending it to the site. I'm sure you can only image the problems something like this would create if it got to the site and didn't fit....we'd have a pissed off CM and ironworkers. Always better to bite the bullet and do it right the first time.

View attachment 7261586

View attachment 7261587

View attachment 7261588

View attachment 7261589

View attachment 7261590

View attachment 7261591
That makes my toys look like, well, toys! Amazing!

Sirhr

Not too late as a hobby. Which are you most interrested in?

I would think welding would benefit me the most as I plan to buy rural land. Maybe 20 acres or so. I could probably build or work on gate, entrance decorations, and just about anything lol. My dad has a small welding machine but has never been a welder nor does he know how to use it lol. He just bought it in case he needed work done around his house, he would call over the neighbor or someone who could weld.

I wanted to learn how to weld using his machine but somehow I never started. I also do electrical work in refineries and it would probably yield me more income to be a multicraft worker.

I would think welding would benefit me the most as I plan to buy rural land. Maybe 20 acres or so. I could probably build or work on gate, entrance decorations, and just about anything lol. My dad has a small welding machine but has never been a welder nor does he know how to use it lol. He just bought it in case he needed work done around his house, he would call over the neighbor or someone who could weld.

I wanted to learn how to weld using his machine but somehow I never started. I also do electrical work in refineries and it would probably yield me more income to be a multicraft worker.

Reactions: stello1001

Check your local community colleges for a welding course, ours has a afternoon class where you go after normal work hours.

On the subject of toys... a bit of model shop work today... new Project! Goes with the wheels!

0EA7EFC4-F7DC-418A-9007-2297ECEB8CDF.jpeg
B5B38E65-7FDC-4495-9AF9-3BA0FE6701EC.jpeg
E0542EAF-606C-4E88-9731-2AB11864B8D2.jpeg
50725AE7-18A1-4FA2-9C14-48C15021751E.jpeg

Sirhr

View attachment 7261586

View attachment 7261587

View attachment 7261588

View attachment 7261589

View attachment 7261590

View attachment 7261591
Very nice work, make sure you post a picture installed!

No but that looks slick, tons of viewing room, full flip up grinding. Is there a setup for supply air/filtered air? Which one is it?

No but that looks slick, tons of viewing room, full flip up grinding. Is there a setup for supply air/filtered air? Which one is it?
I believe Lincoln does make one for this hood. I believe the model is FGS 3250

Not me but they look interesting. At this point I'm pretty happy with the miller T94 and I am a little concerned about the temp rating of these. I melted a couple of miller and lincoln hoods by doing a lot of plasma gouging.

Here's the cheapest price I could find on the hood posted a few posts ago. Me likey

Got a lot of free time lately thanks to.........well plenty of threads about the current hysteria. Built some T post target hangers and a dueling tree. Going to build a manual reset knock over target rack next.
View attachment 7283757View attachment 7283758View attachment 7283759
Are you going to cut a ramp on the tubes to passively hold the plates down, or lean the post toward the shooter? I built one years back that I had to do both to keep the plates from slapping the opposite side so hard the returned back where they were shot. Just something to think about. Otherwise you've built the perfect reason to load more pistol ammo.

Do you a tinny little torque wrench or something? I would strip every single one of those screws:oops:
No... just patience! The issue is not the threads stripping. It is tapping a 12ba thread into aluminum without breaking off a tap that about .050” at its major diameter!

4C775EB4-DACB-442C-955D-D4AAE9C8471A.jpeg

RG. Display only. No RC. Though some do that! Not me.

cheers, Sirhr

Last edited:
Are you going to cut a ramp on the tubes to passively hold the plates down, or lean the post toward the shooter? I built one years back that I had to do both to keep the plates from slapping the opposite side so hard the returned back where they were shot. Just something to think about. Otherwise you've built the perfect reason to load more pistol ammo.

Not sure.....got to shoot it and see. I allowed about 270 degrees of spin to account for bounce back. Good ideas though, thanks

Got a lot of free time lately thanks to.........well plenty of threads about the current hysteria. Built some T post target hangers and a dueling tree. Going to build a manual reset knock over target rack next.
View attachment 7283757View attachment 7283758View attachment 7283759
I like the dueling tree. You might want to give it a tilt forward or you run the risk of bullets returning to visit you. Most manufacturers use about 23 degrees. Still easy enough for a 9mm to turn it but all the bullets get deflected down. And when you hit it the paddle will swing and stay.

I've been using one for about 6 months
How are you liking it? Pros and cons? Heard it’s really lite weight and the clarity off course is top notch. What hood did you have before and what type of welding do you do the most?

How are you liking it? Pros and cons? Heard it’s really lite weight and the clarity off course is top notch. What hood did you have before and what type of welding do you do the most?

I'll start by saying I hated auto lenses until I bought this one. Super light weight and yeah the clarity is awesome. The shade 2 for grinding and whatnot is cool too. Mostly used a passive hood, but have had a Miller (10 years ago), a Speedglas 9000 series, and a Jackson Truesight II the Optrel has my vote. The only downside is the cost and the headgear isn't great. Oh and I mostly Tig weld stainless

Reactions: DAMNKID
It didn't take but 45 mins total, but my ghetto bag rider is done. Ignore the hardware, it's all I had laying around. The hardware stores are only open to account holders and I didn't feel like going through work. View attachment 7281735View attachment 7281736

I’ve been wanting to make a bag rider. No Cnc though. Let’s see how good I can do with just a grinder and a drill

I'll start by saying I hated auto lenses until I bought this one. Super light weight and yeah the clarity is awesome. The shade 2 for grinding and whatnot is cool too. Mostly used a passive hood, but have had a Miller (10 years ago), a Speedglas 9000 series, and a Jackson Truesight II the Optrel has my vote. The only downside is the cost and the headgear isn't great. Oh and I mostly Tig weld stainless
Thanks I’m really looking at getting one just trying to decide if I want to get the PAPR system or not. Deciding factor would be using the papr hood with out the blower Unit wondering if it would get hot and fog up or if you can remove the face seal.I’ve read guys have change out the head gear with the New miller headgear too

I’ve been wanting to make a bag rider. No Cnc though. Let’s see how good I can do with just a grinder and a drill
No cnc either on this project ; ) I stuck the round stock out the side of a vise and machined it in a knee mill. Drilled and countersink with a drill press. It could easily be done with a hacksaw, file, and hand drill.

I actually just recieved another chassis, so I will do another one 100% with hand tools ; )

Reactions: Barneybdb
I’ve been in the structural steel industry my entire adult life. We don’t typically do the cool looking stuff like car frames and the beautiful TiG welds you see on pipe. We MiG almost exclusively because we need to pump weld quickly.

Most of our work is hospitals, multi-story buildings, etc., but we have done some cool stuff over the years for certain good customers.

St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church and National Shrine; Ground Zero, NYC, NY
View attachment 6937301View attachment 6937302View attachment 6937303View attachment 6937304

Most people never see our welds, so they are more purposeful than beautiful (full-pen, partial-pen, and simple fillet welds), but the two projects above had a lot of AESS which has pretty strict criteria for welds and material surface condition.

A little bit of a shameless plug.
Tomorrow on 60 Minutes there is a segment on the rebuilding of St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church that we fabricated back in 2016. I’m under no illusions that my company will be mentioned, but I hope they have some good shots of the steel from the inside. Since it is virtually all exposed, if they take any interior shots, our steel should be pretty obvious.

I just hope it still looks good after sitting for nearly 3 years with no activity. They stopped work about 4 months after we completed Erection.

Happy Easter y’all.

EDIT:

Above is a link to the segment on the church. There was actually some good footage of the steel we fabricated and they even had footage of the cross I designed for the topping out ceremony being hoisted into place. Pretty cool.

Last edited:
I need to cut a bunch of these hinges from 1/8×1 aluminum bar. My father would hacksaw and file but he was retired and had time. Best way I can think of to speed the process is angle head and cut off wheel.

Any suggestions for speeding the process with standard shop toold?

20200412_124301.jpg