• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Wood Shop

I bought an openbuilds machine a few years ago and use Vectric software for the designing. My machine required assembly which saved some money and taught me everything about the machine. It uses a Dewalt 611 router. I have the 1500x1500 machine because I wanted to have the larger bed for whatever I might want to work with, but a smaller bench top machine would be easy and cheap for doing grips and smaller stuff for sure. There are certainly nicer machines than mine out there, just depends on your budget I suppose. Mine is quite capable of doing some nice 3D stuff. (Technically 2.5D)
68852755553__D830BE82-AF07-4ADE-AC6A-BE0F5FFA5FD2.jpeg
IMG_1711.jpeg
IMG_1699.jpeg
65716471167__D35F3B99-5DEB-46EC-8CE0-F9E2E3AFF175.jpeg
65716520440__C836A8C3-5BAB-4936-91E5-A5F9615A7314.jpeg

I bought an openbuilds machine a few years ago and use Vectric software for the designing. My machine required assembly which saved some money and taught me everything about the machine. It uses a Dewalt 611 router. I have the 1500x1500 machine because I wanted to have the larger bed for whatever I might want to work with, but a smaller bench top machine would be easy and cheap for doing grips and smaller stuff for sure. There are certainly nicer machines than mine out there, just depends on your budget I suppose. Mine is quite capable of doing some nice 3D stuff. (Technically 2.5D)View attachment 8175651View attachment 8175652View attachment 8175653View attachment 8175654View attachment 8175655
Very nice!

Yeah, I’m definitely looking to the smaller side of machines and mainly for knocking out about 75%-90% of the shaping and contouring. Honestly doesn’t take too long to do by hand, but the CNC looks very useful. I figure for 1911 grips it can do 100% of the work aside from finishing.

The revolver grips will likely still require hand fitting for that final 10%, which is where the majority of time is spent!

Reactions: Average guy
Maybe one of you know a source….
I believe the size is 44-7/8….
I’m looking for wood type bandsaw blades for the “porta-band” type saws. My google-foo has let me down.
It’s my intention to put a spare Milwaukee corded saw into one of the stands made by Swag.

Rockler sells custom length bandsaw blades.

Most blade sellers will weld to custom length.

Last edited:
Maybe one of you know a source….
I believe the size is 44-7/8….
I’m looking for wood type bandsaw blades for the “porta-band” type saws. My google-foo has let me down.
It’s my intention to put a spare Milwaukee corded saw into one of the stands made by Swag.
Home Depot has a couple options

Never located a dedicated wood blade for the porta-band but did get a couple 8/11 tooth that’ll do for now.

@hangunnr which saw do you have there? I ask because it looks like mine, but my arbor isn’t long enough for a real dado stack(safely). I’m using a box joint blade kit from Freud, which works, but 3/8” is the widest slot I can cut with one pass.

Reactions: hangunnr
I have the Dewalt DW745. It has the short arbor that prohibits a traditional dado blade set.

I‘m using the same Freud box joint blade set you have.
I won’t be able to do dados over 3/8” until I upgrade to a better saw and dedicated dado blade. When that happens I’ll re do the slot runners.

Reactions: darkfader
Decided to upgrade my old Delta wet wheel grinder……./………and CBN wheels.

I have one of the wet wheel Deltas here, haven’t used it in years. Switched to flat diamond plates for sharpening my chisels.

How well do the wheels hold up on that grinder? A diamond wheel on the Delta would be the cats azz.

I have one of the wet wheel Deltas here, haven’t used it in years. Switched to flat diamond plates for sharpening my chisels.

How well do the wheels hold up on that grinder? A diamond wheel on the Delta would be the cats azz.
The CBN wheels will outlast me and never need truing.

Reactions: hangunnr
Picked this up a few weeks ago at an auction. For me this is a huge upgrade. I’m pretty much at the beginning of my woodworking hobby. Been using a small contractor sized saw for years. Haven’t used it yet. Been getting it set up. Blade, fence adjustment etc. Comments, advice would be appreciated

IMG_0943.jpeg
IMG_0942.jpeg

Picked this up a few weeks ago at an auction. For me this is a huge upgrade. I’m pretty much at the beginning of my woodworking hobby. Been using a small contractor sized saw for years. Haven’t used it yet. Been getting it set up. Blade, fence adjustment etc. Comments, advice would be appreciated

View attachment 8217683View attachment 8217684
It's a nice looking saw, I bet you're going to love it

Verify the slot is square to the blade and the blade is square to the fence. Take some time and make it as accurate as you can.

Reactions: Moe Ron

View attachment 8217683View attachment 8217684
I've got one, good saw, not a great saw.........buy a better blade than what came on it ,
don't remember what it was, and not going to go look, but a higher tooth per inch will give you a much smoother cut.

Freud, Diablo (made by Freud) and CMT are what I use the most. I’m sure there are other great blades out there.

The 60 tooth Diablo Fine Finish blade makes a very smooth cut in oak or maple. I don’t use it for general cutting though, I’ll grab a standard ripping blade for rougher work.

ImSv0r.jpg

ImSv0r.jpg[img]

I think you will like your saw. I have an older rigid full size, and it works pretty good. It’s not the best by far, but it’s good enough for most people. Looks like you are off to a good start. I haven’t been doing woodwork because I’m still moving into my new shop. I had no idea that it would take this long. Stupid job is getting in the way of my life!

Reactions: weaselrunner
IMG_5029.jpeg

71743244535__34B0C156-CE0F-4C4E-9D7E-751A2E7FF7C8.jpeg

IMG_5033.jpeg

Not really woodworking since I’ll be using MDF, but will be making a new key bed for this piano. The leg pulled through the original key bed. This is why you use furniture dollies to move pianos around a building , and not the wheels on the piano.

Damn, I’ve been doing it wrong all along. Found these on Amazon. A flat piece of wood with some food safe finish on it for $24. Over 100 sold in the last month. Now that’s easy money!

IMG_5085.jpeg

So a fun little woodworking project today... I'll finish it up tomorrow with the metal work and stain, etc.

This is a cigar cutter in the form of a French Revolution Guillotine! All made out of oak with the blade made of spring steel weighted with .175" thick copper plates/guides. Stands about 24" tall including the keystone at the top. Pretty sure it would lop a finger off without too much trouble!

guillotine 1.jpg

3/4" oak plank sliced into beams. Sort of like a Lincoln Logs project!

guillotine 2.jpg

Blade is flat spring steel bolted to copper weights/guides. It weighs enough that it comes down with a 'thunk!'
guillotine 3.jpg

Cheated and did most of the woodwork on a milling machine. But, hey, whatever works! Bolted and glued the beams together. Those are 8BA steel bolts.

This is sort of inspiring me to pursue my dreams of building a real one. It's not that daunting a project, in reality. Though the joining would be some serious work with a chainsaw and chisels. But I think every neighborhood needs one these days...

Well, I'll finish it up tomorrow and post 'After' pix. Hopefully while enjoying a nice cleved-stogie!

Sirhr

So a fun little woodworking project today... I'll finish it up tomorrow with the metal work and stain, etc.

This is a cigar cutter in the form of a French Revolution Guillotine! All made out of oak with the blade made of spring steel weighted with .175" thick copper plates/guides. Stands about 24" tall including the keystone at the top. Pretty sure it would lop a finger off without too much trouble!

View attachment 8259337

3/4" oak plank sliced into beams. Sort of like a Lincoln Logs project!

View attachment 8259338

Blade is flat spring steel bolted to copper weights/guides. It weighs enough that it comes down with a 'thunk!'
View attachment 8259340

Cheated and did most of the woodwork on a milling machine. But, hey, whatever works! Bolted and glued the beams together. Those are 8BA steel bolts.

This is sort of inspiring me to pursue my dreams of building a real one. It's not that daunting a project, in reality. Though the joining would be some serious work with a chainsaw and chisels. But I think every neighborhood needs one these days...

Well, I'll finish it up tomorrow and post 'After' pix. Hopefully while enjoying a nice cleved-stogie!

Sirhr
I want one!

I want one!

I loosely followed these plans. Like, for the basic shape. Is pretty much all.

This what what inspired me. But no way was I going to pay that kind of coin for something I can have fun making! I did a lot more complex joinery than the one in the 'plans.' He was just banging a nail gun into everything. I used pegs, bolts and real joints. Just because.

Go for it! Let me know if you want detailed photos!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I loosely followed these plans. Like, for the basic shape. Is pretty much all.

This what what inspired me. But no way was I going to pay that kind of coin for something I can have fun making! I did a lot more complex joinery than the one in the 'plans.' He was just banging a nail gun into everything. I used pegs, bolts and real joints. Just because.

Go for it! Let me know if you want detailed photos!

Cheers,

Sirhr
That’s going on the list for me. As soon as I clear out these furniture repairs and grip project I’m going to make one.

Just finished up a restoration on a 1974 vintage Craftsman 12” bandsaw. This was bought new by my grandfather. My dad had it for years before the bearings finally gave up the ghost.
I was able to locate all the correct bearings and a couple other small parts. A new cart was fabricated.
I added the pillow block bearings and extended shaft. In my opinion the original design was a weak point (though it lasted damn near 50yrs…..😏)
I went with a 90volt DC motor and a 120vac to 90vdc speed controller to give the saw more versatility…

Qndr4R.jpg

7dnbze.jpg

bWMMx0.jpg

8kxCHk.jpg

BWpE9K.jpg

I love projects like this, especially with the family history behind it…

Last edited:
Got to move a couple of screws (the problem with not working off any real plans or blueprints... occasional oopsie. And clean up the stain and add the ropes. But it's done. Came out pretty cool!

guillotine a.jpg

Table with groove that lines up right with the head hole! Table is removable. I may or may not add some leather straps and buckles, just to make it creepy! I mean, why not? I have the footman loops and buckles in 1/6 scale. Hummmmm. I may have to do that!

guillotine b.jpg

Messed up on the engraving. I have to relocate three screw holes and it will be visible. 1789. La Republique. Seems fitting. Three new holes and my engraving will be properly revealed.

guillotine c.jpg

Pulley is ebony with machined brass yoke. Spins great. The rest of the bits are brass or German silver scrap. The whole thing was built from one 4' leftover piece of 3/4" oak. And scrap from other projects. The best kind of build! Just a weekend well spent in bad weather!

@Bigfatcock if you want detailed photos... let me know! I don't really have plans except the Interwebz 'plans' that I loosely followed. But really everything was just done ad hoc. The best way to build stuff! Just wing it!

Cheers,

Sirhr