• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

I ran across an Echo CS800P with a 32" bar for $600 bucks. I've heard it run, sounded OK. I don't know much about Echo, they're not very popular here in the south from what I can tell. It's really more saw than I need at 80cc's and ~17 lbs without a bar, but if that's a good price I might pick it up to re-sell. Opinions?
Here's a page that gives the specs

Yeah exactly, the shorter circles bust open pretty easily. This elm is kind of stringy though, it doesn't cleave as nicely as maple or oak. Except for the Dutch elm and dry rot sections which fly apart.

I deliberately cut the fallen tree to double lengths though because I had to carry it by hand a hundred yards and I wanted to make fewer trips. Now I'm thinking about erring on the side of short rounds, just to be able to get the rest split and put away.
For years in these parts, Elm was passed on by a lot of folks for firewood because it sucked to split. Enter hydraulics. A 34 ton cylinder could care less if it’s a bit stubborn and stringy. It burns just fine. However, the smell is less than pleasant.

I ran across an Echo CS800P with a 32" bar for $600 bucks. I've heard it run, sounded OK. I don't know much about Echo, they're not very popular here in the south from what I can tell. It's really more saw than I need at 80cc's and ~17 lbs without a bar, but if that's a good price I might pick it up to re-sell. Opinions?

If in good shape its a good buy. Echo is made by the same company as Shindaiwa. They are a bit heavier than other brands but they run forever.

Reactions: mtrmn
If in good shape its a good buy. Echo is made by the same company as Shindaiwa. They are a bit heavier than other brands but they run forever.
Thank you for that info.
After more consideration I'll probably pass on the saw, it's just too big for my purposes and I can't think of a single person in this area who'd want to buy it from me.

Had the afternoon with comfortable temps to split a jag that I had stored outside all summer. Processed and under roof before the rain/snow comes. Nice mix of White Oak, Shagbark, and Black Cherry.
484C65C7-56A4-4F36-913C-DFD566808A8A.jpeg
9F7EE50A-E9D5-4A1A-90E4-B332F08EFA2C.jpeg

Good looking lil stove!
Thanks! I'm quite proud of jt. It's a hearthstone green mountain 60.

Should be more than enough to run us out of our little 1500 sq ft TN farmhouse.

They advertise some really impressive burn times due to some cool hybrid catalytic tech. I originally wanted a blazeking boxer but there's no dealer support down here plus I prefer the bigger firebox on this unit.

We'll see how it goes this winter🤞

Finally got my woodstove install wrapped up. Looking forward to heating with wood this winter.
Looks very good. Soapstone?
I do hope there's a heatshield on the back, otherwise it looks very close to that wall. BUT I have not researched your stove-yet. I have a similar size stove, a Consolidated Dutchwest Federal convection heater, and at times here in La we have to briefly open doors and windows to keep the house temp down. Bought mine in 1989 (local temps got down to an unheard-of-in-La 2*F that year) and haven't used the elecric heat since.

I actually haven't installed the heat shield and blower kit yet. Just got off the roof and snapped a pic. It's about ~10" off the wall.

With the heat shield kit it only needs 5“ of clearance. I wanted it close, but 5" just looked awkward, plus I needed 8" for the brick anyhow.

Yea soapstone on the inside.
It weighs about 500 lbs. I took an unused lvl I had out in the shop and ran it under the legs with a floor jack on both sides. A bit of a circus but nothing got hurt 😊

My MS250 is a very handy saw but sometimes is a sumbyitch to start (common problem with the model). I put a kit in it last year and it helped some but still when hot it will flood in a heartbeat. So I ordered the commiecarb that had the best reviews. Dang thing runs awesome and is easy to start (at least so far). Runs inverted, idles well 🤷🏼‍♂️

Plus one for chyna…

In other news, the MS440 started right up after sitting since the spring 🤟🏻

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
For years in these parts, Elm was passed on by a lot of folks for firewood because it sucked to split. Enter hydraulics. A 34 ton cylinder could care less if it’s a bit stubborn and stringy. It burns just fine. However, the smell is less than pleasant.

Elm blows to split for sure. Let it dry out really good and it's a bit easier, but still sucks. Thankfully, elm does dry out fast compared to oak or ash.

I just bought a 34T hydraulic, should arrive this week. Have a ton of elm that was cut last season, hoping the 34T does the trick. I have always split by hand, but I have so much wood to split that wanted something more efficient. Mostly oak, but some hickory, hedge/locust mixed in as well. All of which are easier to split than elm.

Some of the elm rounds are 28in+. I might need to start on the edges...

Son has some mesquite down for the smoker.

Maybe a piece or two for a set of 1911 grips.

Anyone know of a custom mfg in TX? That takes raw stock?

Echos are bad ass , you won’t have any regrets

Reactions: mtrmn
Picked up the 34T splitter today but was too late to start assembly.

Have a couple standing dead Oaks, one of which must be 120ft tall or so. I think it died about 2 seasons ago. The bark is somewhat peeled and the woodpeckers have softened up some of the smaller branches but 95% of it is very solid.

But the season is running down and I have way too much to split as it is without messing with those 2.

Portion of the big elm brought down last season and is now ready to split. The 18in ryobi has zero issues cutting some pretty large rounds, quite impressed.

Hdhhehee.jpg

Jsjejeies6.jpg

And yeah, some of the rounds are kinda short but my old ass gets tired of carrying all the heavy shit around lol...

Anybody run an extension cord saw?
I kinda want one for shortening the occasional > 16" split out in the woodshed without smelling like gas or having to charge batteries. Already have a 30, 50, and 70cc real saws so I'm not trying to make it something it's not.

Anybody run an extension cord saw?
I kinda want one for shortening the occasional > 16" split out in the woodshed without smelling like gas or having to charge batteries. Already have a 30, 50, and 70cc real saws so I'm not trying to make it something it's not.
I keep a corded saw at the back door. A lot of my firewood is not uniform and I will need to trim it to get it through the door on my wood stove..

Reading some old post got me feeling kinda bad about a couple of the very large standing dead Oaks I have... they are quite massive. Especially some of the work by @Bigfatcock using old forgotten wood to make furniture and the like...

They deserve to be more than firewood. You could get some long and wide boards from them for sure. But I don't really have an interest in getting a mill.

I might ask around my AO to see if there are any woodchucks to may want to take it for lumber. Not sure there is a market for such thing?

Reading some old post got me feeling kinda bad about a couple of the very large standing dead Oaks I have... they are quite massive. Especially some of the work by @Bigfatcock using old forgotten wood to make furniture and the like...

They deserve to be more than firewood. You could get some long and wide boards from them for sure. But I don't really have an interest in getting a mill.

I might ask around my AO to see if there are any woodchucks to may want to take it for lumber. Not sure there is a market for such thing?
There are a lot of situations like that. Probably best to sell them as they stand and let those with a lot of ambition fall and mill them..

Reactions: OldSalty2
No sure about your area, but most commercial places will not touch a dead tree. They do not know what killed it and so they don't mess with it. Maybe someone with a sawmill on the side might look at them.

No sure about your area, but most commercial places will not touch a dead tree. They do not know what killed it and so they don't mess with it. Maybe someone with a sawmill on the side might look at them.
I agree... In my area there are many one man operations.
Here is an example:

Reactions: OldSalty2
Can someone recommend a high quality axe to do it all? I have a damn good splitter.
You might go kick around this site. Some really good info and they gladly answer questions and give first hand opinions:

I’ve been splitting wood with a fiskars for years. I’ve grown quite fond of the shorter version. Was the only option when I bought mine.

The splitting axe, a short length of light chain, and a bungee strap are all essential splitting tools for me.

I have, but rarely use gas powered log splitters. Hurts my back way more than the axe.

Reactions: 458win
Looking for an axe to do everything but splitting.
Brother in law has 2 felling axes, one is a Helkor… The other is a Gransfors. I’ve chopped a few trees down with both, they both work really well. I’d say either axe would serve you well.

If your using it to actually chop trees down, stuff over 12” diameter I’d go for a longer handle 30”-36”

If you plan on throwing it on your belt, beating wedges in your back cuts and chopping the occasional small Diameter I’d go 20”-28”.

Post pics when you get something!

Interesting question, axe was maul for splitting and driving wedges? I have always used a maul personally

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should…

Couldn’t get the ms250 to start so got pist and went to work with the Milwaukee just to see. It killed the 9.0 battery to cut it down but it did it.

Finally got the ms250 to go after spraying the spark plug with engine degreaser (all I had) stupid thing been running like a champ since 🧐

If I had brought the 395xp I would of had time for a couple more cord. As it was day ended with about 1.5. It’s a pig to run with the 36” bar but damn it goes through lodgepole like butter.

Attachments

• 273A6443-79C0-4A3A-9AC8-46B618570A47.jpeg
    273A6443-79C0-4A3A-9AC8-46B618570A47.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
Just because you can doesn’t mean you should…

Couldn’t get the ms250 to start so got pist and went to work with the Milwaukee just to see. It killed the 9.0 battery to cut it down but it did it.

Finally got the ms250 to go after spraying the spark plug with engine degreaser (all I had) stupid thing been running like a champ since 🧐

If I had brought the 395xp I would of had time for a couple more cord. As it was day ended with about 1.5. It’s a pig to run with the 36” bar but damn it goes through lodgepole like butter.
A saw that won’t start quickly and reliably is no bueno. Nothing worse. Glad you got the job done. Good fuel (100LL) with proper premix ratios may help. My 261 lit off 3rd pull after months of hibernation today.

A saw that won’t start quickly and reliably is no bueno. Nothing worse. Glad you got the job done. Good fuel (100LL) with proper premix ratios may help. My 261 lit off 3rd pull after months of hibernation today.
It was my fault for sure. I hadn’t ran it for over a year. several years ago I started spending the money and buying the premixed gas. Everything seems to run so much better with it after sitting for months. The 250 has been starting the 1st or 2nd pull since that day 🧐 Probably because of all the mean things I said to it.
I do think I’m going to sell my 3 stihls and add a husky 562xp to go with the 445 and 395.

Reactions: tnichols
It was my fault for sure. I hadn’t ran it for over a year. several years ago I started spending the money and buying the premixed gas. Everything seems to run so much better with it after sitting for months. The 250 has been starting the 1st or 2nd pull since that day 🧐 Probably because of all the mean things I said to it.
I do think I’m going to sell my 3 stihls and add a husky 562xp to go with the 445 and 395.
My saws started getting, flooding like issues after refueling, I used the lowest octane and sthil mix.
I switched to high octane and 100 percent solved the problem. The saws are running by 3 pull.

My saws started getting, flooding like issues after refueling, I used the lowest octane and sthil mix.
I switched to high octane and 100 percent solved the problem. The saws are running by 3 pull.
The premix is ethanol free 95 octane.

Best you can get at the pump around here is 91 and the ethanol free is 87.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
The premix is ethanol free 95 octane.

Best you can get at the pump around here is 91 and the ethanol free is 87.
If you are only going to burn a tank or 2, roll w the premix. I go through almost 2 gallons a day, way to expensive running premix.
91 and sthil premix should do fine.
87 or 89 is just stupid problems when the saw is good and hot.
And don't let your saws run out of gas while using them during the day.

Any advantage to the newer synthetic 2 cycle stihl oil? I have been using premium non ethanol fuel in the saws since gas quality got shitty, (quite a while ago) and I believe it does make a substantial difference. My dad recently passed away and I got his 38 Super... They used a lot of metal back then... not so much plastic crap. It was I heavier than I expected when I picked it up. I haven't used it... did start it and it needs to be run a bit.

Here's a picture of the "kids". 036,
20221019_123301.jpg
20221019_123356.jpg
20221019_123429.jpg
20221019_123447.jpg
38AV, 44, 440. I like the 440 on the bigger diameter stuff.... really makes the chips fly. I should go cut another load or two... winter is coming, maybe?🤷‍♂️

Last edited: