• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thermal Science Question

MarkLeupold

On board the .25 train
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
So, this is gonna be a really dumb thread and it will serve no real purpose other than satisfying my curiosity.

I had a thought this morning while sitting on the shitter: could you feasibly detect if someone was carrying a concealed handgun from afar with a thermal device?

My thought process is something along the lines of: the handgun will probably be much closer to ambient conditions than body temp + the gun will block some of the body temperature being radiated, so a concealed gun may appear as a cool "shadow" on the hotter appearance of a person.

Like I said, really dumb thread, and only out of my own curiosity and the fact that I can ask guys that actually have thermal optics.

Depends on resolution of the detector, distance, thickness of clothing, material of gun, ambient temperature, sensitivity and wavelength of detector.

Now, interestingly, if you were looking in the near IR, past 700nm, you might be able to see through some thinner fabrics with colored with dyes that are usually IR tranparent- the old trick of using a Sony camera with ‘night shot‘ during the day to see through women’s clothing.

With commonly available commercial devices not at a useful range. A lot of times you're doing good to determine if they're open carrying a rifle at any significant distance. Conditions play a big part in this.

70° and fairly dry with a cool breeze and metal items stand out well.
IMAGE12(2).jpg

80° and raining and everything blobs together.

IMAGE5(4).jpg