• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Think I might like precission shooting.

HarperJT

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2011
I haven't shot for accuracy in years; lately all I've shot were a few pistols and tons of machine guns. Don't get me wrong I love MGs but it can't hit anything with any accuracy with them. So, I decided to start looking a decent rifle try to start reaching out a little bit. 1st step, pick up a new rifle (I have tons of hunting rifles but never anything that I would say was a tack driver.) SO I picked up a Rem 700 308 SPS lefty and a new HS precision stock. I also picked up a new tinkey trigger but it didn't need it. The factory trigger is great. Next step work up some loads. I only had 2 suitable powders around the house, Varget and H335. I worked up around 10 different loads. The gun shot Varget into around 1" groups with the 168-178 BT and match bullets, but hated the 150 BT grains bullets. The H335 shot both the 168 and 178 BT into around .25 groups, center hole to center hole. I can't wait to try the match grain bullets with these loads. I've included the last target sheet. The center and upper right groups are with the H335. I can't wait for my new PST scope to get here. But now I can't decide if I need one of the new SS 5-20 scopes instead. Hell, who know maybe both? I can't wait to try moving out past 500 yards and maybe one day 1000 yards just for grins.

Thanks for listening and the opportunity on picking up a SS scope at a great deal,
Jeff
colortarget-001.jpg

Thanks Gstaylord. First time I ever posted a picture. Top right and center is the H335. The other groups are the Varget.

Re: Think I might like precission shooting.

Harper,

Don't do it!!!!! Precision shooting is like Crack, and it is more than mildly addicting. In fact Snipers Hide is the most expensive "free site" I've ever been associated with. I think I've spent no less than $2500. per year, each year I've been here.

If you don't know already, your $550. Rem 700 SPS, is about to be turned into a $4000. plus precision shooting machine. If fact the only way not to spend money, is to not log in or even read any posts.

Just recently, I was broke, as happens frequently and I did not read or post here for 30 days. And I spent nothing. Logged backed in, and the next day, went and spent $165. on something I did not need, but wanted desperately.

Somewhere there has to be a 12 step program, called Sniper's Hide Anonymous, that can ween you off of this habit. And I will get off Snipers Hide, just as soon as we reach 10,000 likes on the Facebook page, cause who can pass up $500. off a great SWFA scope, plus rings.......

Arrghh I'm sinking........deeper into debt.

Oh, and welcome to the Hide, were life is merry all the time....
grin.gif

Bob

There should be an ad campaign that says "Snipers Hide, not even once." Then, show someone in a mansion and then show that same guy in a tiny house with a bunch of rifles that says "this is your life, and this is your life on Snipers Hide"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Harper,

Don't do it!!!!! Precision shooting is like Crack, and it is more than mildly addicting.

If you don't know already, your $550. Rem 700 SPS, is about to be turned into a $4000. plus precision shooting machine.

Bob
</div></div>

Bob, I don't mean to cut out everything, but this is basically what happened to me. Rem 700 SPS Varmint was just the start...couple thousand in the rifle. Another thousand or two in reloading. Oh yeah, hitting steel farther can you can see with the naked eye is probably worse than any drug on the street.

I was finally able to shoot past 400 this weekend. I was only able to set up at 650 and 850 due to time/weather. Now, I'm just itching to get out to 1000 or a lil past this coming weekend.

If you're getting these results "The H335 shot both the 168 and 178 BT into around .25 groups, center hole to center hole." then you don't need to do anything else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're getting these results "The H335 shot both the 168 and 178 BT into around .25 groups, center hole to center hole." then you don't need to do anything else. </div></div>

Except to post some pitchers!!!

Seriously, sounds like some nice shooting Harper. For more info on posting pics, look at the 10th link down in the FAQ section.

Link: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=faq

I normally use Photobucket as an image host, but there are others. Using the Preview Post button will allow you to see whether you successfully uploaded your images, prior to actually submitting your post. Good luck with it!

I'll try to post the target tomorrow. I'm nomally very quite about shooting, but this is probably my best groupings ever. I can cover both H335 groups each with a dime. Needless to say once I got home this afternoon I rolled a few more.

Thanks guy,
Jeff

Yep,it's already got you. Don't worry we understand. I've got to drive 4.5 hours back to shoot at a target at 1165yrds (due to a miss) because of this addiction. Great group.Keep shooting.