• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking about leaving California

Punkur67

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2019
    My wife and I are San Diego natives, born and raised here. My wife and I have tossed up the idea of leaving this liberal state but our talks have become more serious to the point of looking for homes and jobs. Especially now our son is in school. I have traveled to a few places for hunting but don't know much about where to go. Right now we are looking at Arizona, Texas, Colorado, and Nebraska. We just want to get away from this commie state.

We are leaning towards Omaha Nebraska right now. What we are really trying to figure out the wages and quantity of work. Hard leaving Southern California wages behind. Really trying to find a place where the income to cost of living is equivalent or better than San Diego. I am in construction, commercial heating and air, and specialize in hospitals. My wife is a registered nurse.

What does the hide say about our options. Any other places we should look?

I wouldn’t go anywhere right now looking for a job. If you do go, don’t go and overpay on a house and fuck up everybody else’s property taxes if the state has them. What is cheap where you live for an apartment could buy you 4,000 square foot on two acres anywhere else. Don’t vote for a Democrat for anything. If you move to another large city in another state, expect it to be similar to what you are leaving.

But how will you surf in the morning and ski in the afternoon?

Never move without a job starting one week post move. Seriously, make sure at least one of you has solid work first.

Nebraska is high in state taxes, and Lincoln and Omaha lives off the land and labor of the rest of the state while writing dumb as fuck laws. Half my co-workers live in Nebraska, I hear about it all the time. Latest was an effort to privatize camping reservations, only through a shit fit thrown by the rest of the state did they stand down.

Do you know why the wind blows so hard in Wyoming? Because Nebraska sucks...

Learn before you leap.

stay and fight. every patriot that leaves is giving up their space to one of them.
    you'd be surprised how much you might take for granted year round temps that average in the mid 70s.
    and at least you live near a decent rifle range.

If you leave let me make something REALLY DAMN CLEAR.

You may get lucky and land a job that lets you make as good or better money than you are now. You may move ahead financially.
    There is a REALLY GOOD CHANCE that you won't. You may have to do what many of the rest of us have done and make something called a SACRIFICE.

Most of us who live in free states make less than we would in a state like CA. We won't get as rich as we would living on the coast. But we have something called FREEDOM. For those in CA who don't know, freedom is something that is given by God and that the State has no right to take away. So if you move, don't be that asshole who overpays for a house and screws the rest of us. Negotiate well. And vote like a rabid right wing guy and you might fit in well.

Just remember, Freedom is worth any price.

P.S.
    If it is hard leaving the wages, you aren't mentally ready to move. Stay until you are really fed up.
    Like "ready to risk your life escaping across the Iron Curtain" fed up.

Especially now our son is in school.

I am in construction, commercial heating and air, and specialize in hospitals. My wife is a registered nurse.

What does your son being in school have to do with the decision?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Zeroit
    If you leave let me make something REALLY DAMN CLEAR.

You may get lucky and land a job that lets you make as good or better money than you are now. You may move ahead financially.
    There is a REALLY GOOD CHANCE that you won't. You may have to do what many of the rest of us have done and make something called a SACRIFICE.

Most of us who live in free states make less than we would in a state like CA. We won't get as rich as we would living on the coast. But we have something called FREEDOM. For those in CA who don't know, freedom is something that is given by God and that the State has no right to take away. So if you move, don't be that asshole who overpays for a house and screws the rest of us. Negotiate well. And vote like a rabid right wing guy and you might fit in well.

Just remember, Freedom is worth any price.
    i own every gun i wanted to buy, i fly my flag and nobody fucks with me. moving to idaho won't make me more free.

Reactions: Alphatreedog
    I assume you live in CA. If you believe what you say, send a video of you with all your guns to your governor and I will send one to mine. Mine would probably congratulate me on my collection. Yours would arrest you.

Your statement is incorrect.

Idaho is full.
    none of my guns are illegal to own. one is "off roster" but obtained legally.
    i am however free to walk my dog along the bay in shorts and a t-shirt in the winter.
    i am free to visit my mom and dad's graves when i want to pay my respects.
    i am free to watch the 6th generation of californians in my family grow up to fight the good fight.
    and i am free to defend my state, which has 10x the number of patriots that voted for trump than idaho (4,483,810 v. 409,055).

My wife and I are San Diego natives, born and raised here. My wife and I have tossed up the idea of leaving this liberal state but our talks have become more serious to the point of looking for homes and jobs. Especially now our son is in school. I have traveled to a few places for hunting but don't know much about where to go. Right now we are looking at Arizona, Texas, Colorado, and Nebraska. We just want to get away from this commie state.

We are leaning towards Omaha Nebraska right now. What we are really trying to figure out the wages and quantity of work. Hard leaving Southern California wages behind. Really trying to find a place where the income to cost of living is equivalent or better than San Diego. I am in construction, commercial heating and air, and specialize in hospitals. My wife is a registered nurse.

I would hope that you stay and fight but if you have to move come to PHX. I work mostly in residential HVAC but can introduce you to people in heavy commercial (data centers and hospitals).

Reactions: Alphatreedog
    Then I would question your taste in guns. Just a little😉.
    I am glad that you like CA. Hope you win the battle you are fighting.
    i'm not saying i don't want a minigun or something that is a bit out of scope :unsure:
    but realistically i wouldn't have one even if i lived in "free america", unless i was also rich.

Yes Texas is way too full of assholes also.

You would not fit in.

Sure, and at least 60% of the CA folks in AZ are idiots, too. What’s your point?
    just saying, if you think you are overrun, how do you think we feel when only 40% are even from here.
    and people complain about people from california moving to their state when those assholes were born in new york or illinois.

I always get a kick out of threads like this when people start chiming in that their states are full. I get that they don't want anymore outsiders showing up but let's be honest here. The people you don't want showing up aren't going to hear or care what you have to say, and the people you should want in your communities might actually go somewhere else or not integrate if they do show up.

OP, I'm sorry I can't be much help but I can sympathize. I want to make the same jump out of Maryland, unfortunately without the benefit of a marketable skill. I will say I'm leary of Texas and flat-out wouldn't consider Colorado. The latter seems too far gone and the former is going.

Reactions: MarinePMI
    OP, you’ve got to act quickly. Those budget problems are real and Covid can’t provide cover fire for these liberal holes forever. You’re a little late to the, “Hey honey, let’s cash out our hyperinflated chips and go buy a ranch.”-party. Colorado is lost, Texas is losing ground quickly, Montana is a battleground state - blue is winning, the entire PNW is flushable. Wyoming is probably the reddest, the Dakotas are peaches, but there are very few good places left. Oklahoma and Utah probably offer the best economic opportunities.

The jobs are leaving CA. The money is spent. I have real concern for what happens when this blister pops. Dodging bum bombs while you walk your dog on the beach is gonna be small potatoes compared to the gangrenous rot that’s about to blossom.

Reactions: Earnhardt
    To clear a little up we are both very right Republicans and will not drag the California left wing mentality out because it is not our beliefs. I am tired of our state making stupid decisions like teaching 5 year olds about transgender, gays, and sex. No effing way should any 5 year old be taught about sex or sexual orientation. My son goes to Christian preschool and the is a little boy there who cross dresses and thats acceptable to people here. But this state wants to be so progressive and forward thinking that they push this stuff. That's just the tip of all the BS in this state. Fucked up gun laws, high taxes, state budget is toast meaning more taxes, expensive power, expensive water, and list goes on and on

I have a job opportunity lined up with a mechanical contractor in Nebraska. I know we will both be making a pay cut by 30-40% leaving here. My wife works 2 days a week as an RN and would be willing to fly back to San Diego till she lands a local job. I have worked 40+ hours a week for the past 20 years due to construction being consistent in Southern California. Some friends who have left the state end up traveling to jobs and that's something I would like to avoid.

I don't care about the beach so don't mind leaving it. We off road a bunch at the Sand dunes and I like to salt water fish and I will be sacrificing these things if we move to the mid west. But I am OK with that because I can backfill those hobbies by putting more attention in to hunting, shooting, and drag racing.

Lots of options here. Thanks for the feedback

To clear a little up we are both very right Republicans and will not drag the California left wing mentality out because it is not our beliefs. I am tired of our state making stupid decisions like teaching 5 year olds about transgender, gays, and sex. No effing way should any 5 year old be taught about sex or sexual orientation. My son goes to Christian preschool and the is a little boy there who cross dresses and thats acceptable to people here. But this state wants to be so progressive and forward thinking that they push this stuff. That's just the tip of all the BS in this state. Fucked up gun laws, high taxes, state budget is toast meaning more taxes, expensive power, expensive water, and list goes on and on

I have a job opportunity lined up with a mechanical contractor in Nebraska. I know we will both be making a pay cut by 30-40% leaving here. My wife works 2 days a week as an RN and would be willing to fly back to San Diego till she lands a local job. I have worked 40+ hours a week for the past 20 years due to construction being consistent in Southern California. Some friends who have left the state end up traveling to jobs and that's something I would like to avoid.

I don't care about the beach so don't mind leaving it. We off road a bunch at the Sand dunes and I like to salt water fish and I will be sacrificing these things if we move to the mid west. But I am OK with that because I can backfill those hobbies by putting more attention in to hunting, shooting, and drag racing.

Lots of options here. Thanks for the feedback
    And if you like saltwater fishing.....uh....it does NOT suck here in FL for that action! In point of fact I believe the Gulf Coast is the single best light tackle fishery in NA for year around and if you dig the offshore action it's fantastic too. From Marco Island all the way to LA it's just stellar.

A lot of the “normals” that work around the Omaha area actually live across the river in Council Bluffs, IA. FedEx Freight OMA terminal is located there.

Last edited:
    If you come to TX you better help keep us red, but the property taxes suck.
    I've wondered about TX property taxes since it's one of the few left with no state income tax. You mind sharing what kind of #'s and location please? Thanks

No worries there brother. I could help offset my Liberal cousins vote. My cousin and her boyfriend are very left and just moved there last month.

I live in Arkansas and it ain't a bad place to live. The Northern and Central parts of the State are richer than the Southern part. You and your Wife could easily find jobs here. Sure, your wages would be lower but the cost of living would be too. There are good hunting and fishing opportunities here, gun laws are not crazy and there are places to shoot. Taxes are fair (I guess?) and the State is in ok financial shape. The weather ain't great. Fairly mild winters but Summer can get hot and its humid. And we have tornadoes.

No state is crime free but its not bad here. Big cities are big cities! And they have homeless although they are not bad about shitting on the sidewalks! Yet!

I typed a whole paragraph out about other states and deleted it. I didn't want to bad mouth other places bases on minimum experiences or hearsay.

Good Luck with your decision.

The rest of the country is full. Stay in CA.
    I get it. Nobody wants a refugee from this liberal state over run with left wing granola munching milenials with their home made deodorant and vegan safe shoes.

ya know, i have no intention of fleeing my home, but i would note that while you discourage a patriot hide member from moving to your state, there are 10 other libtards that are moving in next door and you aren't reaching any of them. it might not be all that smart to discourage the patriots.

The problem with folks from california is they move to another state and bring their politics with them.
    See the following:
    Portland, Oregon
    Seattle, Washington
    Denver, Colorado

If the moderate and conservative voting block in California would actually get out and vote, they could make changes. Not, they wouldn't take the governorship, nor change the 55 electoral votes, but you WOULD stop the super majority.

I get it. Nobody wants a refugee from this liberal state over run with left wing granola munching milenials with their home made deodorant and vegan safe shoes.
    ya know, i have no intention of fleeing my home, but i would note that while you discourage a patriot hide member from moving to your state, there are 10 other libtards that are moving in next door and you aren't reaching any of them. it might not be all that smart to discourage the patriots.

But, he's already outed himself as a left-wing, granola-munching, home-made odorant smearing, vegan-safe shoe wearing, millennial...:LOL:

Just like any immigrant, learn the language, learn the customs, remember why you left that 3rd world shit-hole, and don't repeat the mistakes that got it that way. With that Bienvenidos...

• Haha
    Reactions: theLBC and Basher
    The problem with folks from california is they move to another state and bring their politics with them.
    See the following:
    Portland, Oregon
    Seattle, Washington
    Denver, Colorado

If the moderate and conservative voting block in California would actually get out and vote, they could make changes. Not, they wouldn't take the governorship, nor change the 55 electoral votes, but you WOULD stop the super majority.
    Not all people from California

Not all people from California

I'd have to disagree,,haha. California is a cancer out west. Every third license plate in Idaho Falls or Boise is from Commiefornia, they have screwed up Washington state and are ruining Idaho and Montana. The left encourages them to move to smaller states to sway the vote towards communism.

After someone moves here from Commiefornia they do these four things;

1. They buy guns they cannot own on their commie state for outrageous prices while telling everyone in the gun store they are from Commiefornia and want to own the guns they wanted to ban at home. Followed by a back in Cali story of some sort.

2. They buy a house for 300% of market value and it is still 30% of the cost of a similar house/property in Cali. They promptly remodel it for 300% the local rates and brag it is 40% the cost of Cali. Then the local property tax rates sky rocket for everyone else.

3. They vote communist, just like they did in Cali, they write letters to the editor spewing their Cali bullshit or they start a stupid story with...................."Back in California we did,,,,,,,,,,,,blah blah blah blah blah blah.

4. They wear their Cali bullshit clothes and have stickers all over their cars, flags outside their homes supporting Cali/commie sports teams and make it a point to celebrate how great their old state was to anyone trapped within earshot.

If you want to move, please feel free to move, this is America. But if you are planning on coming to Free America leave your lefty voting crap in California. It is not hard to find a job, it is hard getting the $72 an hour required to live in the ghetto in California in a state where $25 bucks an hour is a decent starting wage.

I moved from a commie area to a free state
    I took a significant pay cut in the process
    but I did a very careful analysis of my own personal cost of living (yes I looked at the professional information too, but found it not relevant to me)

The one thing that was hard to figure out were the TOTAL taxes and fees and other bills because many are collected differently and priced differently in different states

power is about 1 cent per kw hour higher, but in a much warmer area so using a ton more in the summer (net effect my electric bill is 50% higher)
    water costs more, not a ton, but noticeable
    trash service costs more
    sales tax is almost double
    THE OTHER THING I MISSED 100% was a HUGE jump in car insurance in the new state. Same company same cars same drivers, nothing changed, no new tickets or anything, just changing states my rates jumped $1500/year for 3 cars. This was never even on my radar to look at.

Property tax is less than half, however, the same services are not included (for example in the new area I pay fire & ems service as a separate bill, in the old commie area it was included in property tax

Anyway, my point is you can ask and research, but takes a shit ton of work to figure out costs apples to apples and make sense of it all. I did end up living in a less expensive area, but NO WHERE NEAR the 18% difference the professionals that rate cost of living index stated I would see.

I am sure the cost of living in San Diego is off the charts, but there are areas in cheaper states that will be expensive as well. Just depends on the exact little plot of dirt you decide to park yourself on.

I need to get kids through school, then I am moving again and getting further away from the tax and cost of living insanity...

FL is not perfect, but we could always use another conservative. Specifically addressing your skill sets I'm not sure you could pick a better place with more opportunities. I invest in the hospital eREIT space so pay attention to this sector like a hawk and we are literally going ballistic with new facilities. Hospital construction bond issuance has been snapped up like Rosie O'Donnell at a free Krispy Kreme event. This is a link showing what's happened in recent years.....and they don't call it God's Waiting Room for nothin. Post bolognavirus investment capital will be moving into new facilities at an even more frenetic pace just in the last month there is a clear move by investors into the sector beyond the obvious of Rx therapy. No state income tax, incredibly business friendly, firearm friendly laws and while we are currently being populated by NE liberals escaping the hell holes they helped create....I still love it here 26 years and counting. Orlando is building 3 new hospitals and here in Tampa we have a $200m facility just approved it's everywhere down here. Clearly if your wife is a nurse she will be able to find a city with a program that most closely matches her speciality.

I second that. I see more construction here than you can shake a stick at.

I second that. I see more construction here than you can shake a stick at.
    It's not just people moving here, but we are so pro business companies have been and continue to flock here. The volume of hospitals built the last 5 years has been crazy and what's being planned looking forward is just unreal.

If you are a Service connected Veteran, Oklahoma has the best deal for you, and rather inexpensive properties. EVERYWHERE always need RN's (especially critical Care, Emergency, and Surgical specialists, what we don't need is work-a-day RN's for med surge, way overstaffed on those. FNP's are in demand for rural health clinics), and they always need new hospitals and A/C work in these hotter states. Beautiful landscape, lots of fishing and hunting. Lots of lakes.
    Prices in Texas are increasing rapidly for housing, and all that is due to people selling out in CA, and overpaying here in Texas. The Hill Country, is outrageous, and out of reach since we bought 6 years ago. Plenty of work here, and no service person (service tech, AC, Electrical, construction, maintenance, utilities, ever closed down at all.

If you want to move, move. Just know, you are not likely going to make as much as you did. Once you come to terms with that, it will be easier to accept.

Google Traverse City Michigan. (If you don't mind all four seasons.) It's a growing city, (Democratic, but I wouldn't call it liberal yet) that needs some solid Republicans that will always vote Republican.
    (Just, know that the week of July 4th, traffic turns to shit as you get inundated for the National Cherry Festival.) But if you are an outdoor person, we have it all. Waters, trails, camping, skiing, hunting, etc. Just no long outdoor rifle ranges. There is a nice indoor pistol range. The nearest rifle range is the Marksmanship Training Center about an hour and a half east. Haven't been there my self, but it looks super nice. Our vehicle insurance is the highest in the nation, so I would get a quote on that when factoring things in if Traverse City like like a good place for you to consider.

From one of my AZ groups.

Not saying you aren’t wanted but.....better change the plates quickly.

EA99CC38-DBC5-4DB8-B4F9-D08F3516B15A.jpeg

Property Taxes suck because it's just hiding the "No state Income Tax". The man will get paid somehow.. Only now, it sucks for people who can mortgage/own property instead of every wage earner in the state. On the flip side, it's good for business - because business pays double on income taxes. There are Pros/Cons to each way of doing it.

Reactions: MarinePMI