• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Thinking I need a Battle Belt

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Planning to take a carbine course this spring and a Battle Belt seems to me the way I want to go for carrying pistol, a shingle with three rifle mags and three pistol mags, and dump pouch.

Shouldnt need a lot but can add if need be.

Im considering the HSGI slim belt with 2 rows of Molle and a cobra belt.

Any negatives to going two row Molle vs the typical three row Molle?

Intending to attach the pistol holster directly to the HSGI Molle belt not drop leg.

Assuming Ill lose a little pouch/belt security.

Reason to go with the thin belt lighter weight, not having the full width belt interfere as much with anything I may wear above it such as a plate carrier or vest.

Any experience/thoughts specifically regarding the thin belt vs full size?

Ive read lots of posts on here debating chest rig vs belt, etc.

Happy to rehash those opinions but particularly interested in experience using a two row Molle belt vs a three row Molle belt.

I have both HSGI, the Suregrip and Slimgrip. 3 vs 2 row.

I like using the 3 row Suregrip as a LBE/ modern ALICE. The 2 row Slimgrip is my belt that I pair with a chest rig or just use it on its own in a class when Im teaching or don't need a ton of mags on hand.

I use a custom kydex with a drop on it. Its not a "drop leg" but it has a panel that drops the holster just above drop leg level. I also have my ESEE CM6, Blow out Kit, and two Kangaroo TACOs for rifle and pistol. Lightweight rig, that I can throw on any time.

Reactions: Fig and pmclaine
    A battle belt is a good way to go, if you are planning to load it up like that I'd get a pair of suspenders to help support the weight. When I ran my battle belt for competitions, the weight of a pistol+holster, rifle mags, pistol mags, and IFAK weighed it down pretty good.

For competitions and range use specifically I moved away from using a battle belt and ended up going with a competition belt set up from Uncle Mike's. It has a velcro inner belt and outter belt, the plus side for me being that it is much more rigid and supports the weight of my gear a lot better, distributing it over my hips, and leaving me less fatigued at the end of the day.

I have both HSGI, the Suregrip and Slimgrip. 3 vs 2 row.

I like using the 3 row Suregrip as a LBE/ modern ALICE. The 2 row Slimgrip is my belt that I pair with a chest rig or just use it on its own in a class when Im teaching or don't need a ton of mags on hand.

I use a custom kydex with a drop on it. Its not a "drop leg" but it has a panel that drops the holster just above drop leg level. I also have my ESEE CM6, Blow out Kit, and two Kangaroo TACOs for rifle and pistol. Lightweight rig, that I can throw on any time.

You use your belts the way I think I will use mine.

If I was going full on "duty belt" Id be thinking I want the three row belt with some sort of "H" harness to hang it over my shoulders.

But Im thinking I want something not so cumbersome, useful for class or just to whip on/off if out camping in the woods. A modern version of the Western gunfighter belt.

It seems your Slimgrip secures the gear well enough and there is no annoying "flopping" of the attached gear?

The gear attachment really isnt a Molle weave with only two rows available.

I have no issues with flopping. The holster has enough room to move if I crouch, but still stays secure enough to get a good draw. Everything is attached to the belt via MALICE clips. I can try to get pictures if it will help you.

I have no issues with flopping. The holster has enough room to move if I crouch, but still stays secure enough to get a good draw. Everything is attached to the belt via MALICE clips. I can try to get pictures if it will help you.

No picture necessary, though I am interested in your pistol set up.

I think it might be smart at some point for me to use my plate carrier in the class and one thought is if my holster is on the belt there could be interference so your quasi drop rig sounds interesting.

Otherwise though your responses basically affirmed an 80 percent decided upon thought.

@Trigger Monkey good point in there being a difference between competition gear and some sort of duty gear. My stuff will hang 364 days a year in my closet.

Most of the time I take a class its some sort of precision scoped rife day of shooting but Im interested in doing some stuff at Sig Academy to get a carbine and pistol some more "dynamic" range time.

Competition is not on the RADAR at this point in time, nor do I see a need for full on "War Belt".

ive never been a fan of "battle belts"....

by the time you load all your shit on them youre gonna need suspenders.....at which point you might as well run a chest rig.....at which point you might as well run a plate carrier (IMO)....

if i was looking for light weight, ide honestly rather run a carrier with 3A soft plates over a chest rig or belt setup.

i think belts are good as a secondary system......ie (to hold med kits/ dump pouches).......but i wouldnt run them for a main setup with Rifle mags.

your upper torso doesnt bend.....so its a good place to carry shit and not have it impede motion......unlike loading up your waist with padded belts and mags.......its all fun and games until a rifle mag spears you in the ribs.

my current setup is a minimalist plate carrier to run rifle mags....and a plain riggers belt to run pistol and pistol mags.

all that being said.....a buddy of mine runs a HSG battle belt and seems pretty happy with it.

I used to run a Tyr Tactical gunfighter belt at work and after trying most of the ones available on the market courtesy of your tax dollars I settled on that one. I had 2 Glock mag pouches and 2 rigid plastic FAST AR mag holders. That gave me 45 rds of 9mm and 90 rds of 5.56 with fully loaded weapons. When you add a double stacked plate carrier setup you bump up to 270 rds of 5.56. If that isn’t enough it’s a bad day.
    Anyway, I highly recommend the TYR belt

Reactions: M8541Reaper
    BTW, that belt has enough space to run the above mentioned pouches as well as med kit pouch, knife, and holster.
    In regards to what mccameron said, I too am a fan of minimalist kit. However, battle belts were particularly prized in hot and humid environments because you had enough kit on it that if the threat was low you could just run that. I also really liked them for range days. Just have to make sure that you shake out your chest rug enough that you know what you are doing with it.

Reactions: smithjd
    B320279B-EBD0-454D-8071-E7D61CB0CB0D.jpeg

Reactions: Srikaleak
    I'm a minimalist. I don't need all that other stuff. A HSGI TACO on my regular (beltman gunbelt) belt gives me two 10rnd mags and a pistol mag (which I don't really use). If I needed anymore I could add another TACO without encumbering myself.

Skip the battle belt and get a plate carrier. Train how you'll fight. In a fight won't you want plates on?
    Use a belt like this
    http://www.aresgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=99_107_111&products_id=564
    through your belt loops -- stiff enough to support 2x pistol, 2x rifle mags, your pistol and a dump or ifak.

Edit: I use a holster similar to this one, kydex with Proctor offset mount. Rigid, zero flop, excellent presentation, low enough to not interfere with PC.
    https://cpwsa.com/products/proctor-owb-holster

Last edited:
    Wow lot more posts that I was never alerted to........thank you for your responses.

Bought my belt on Black Friday.

Went with.....

HSGI slim grip slotted in medium.

Large Velcro inner belt.

A shingle for three rifle mags with three pistol mag pockets on the exterior. Class requires a minimum of three each.

HSGI blow out bag that I'll fill.

Tactical Tailor foldup dump pouch.

London Bridge Molle holster.

My Keto diet of the last ten months limits what I can put on the belt as those few pieces of gear limit the space and put things close to center back where I don't want them.

I had hoped for a water bottle holder or pogey bait bag but there is no real estate.

I could go to a double/double magazine shingle and try to clear some room. Third mags could go in a cargo pocket but in a class environment I'm thinking it's better to display your gear location rather than have someone think you got a mag in a weapon when it's not supposed to be.

Pistol rides high if I wear a plate carrier it will be an issue.

Might look into what Garret Industries has in Kydex and see if I can drop the gun without it becoming something on the thigh.

Too many words. Sorry.

I'll get a picture

Last edited:
    Picture....

PC018347.JPG

As an aside this is my plate carrier.....
    P5037911.JPG

I havent set it up for rifle as work hasnt issued one yet, that comes in January.

I carry three extra pistol mags and one rifle mag for when someone doesnt need their rifle anymore and I would rather use theirs.

I would put the triple shingle on the carrier but Im not sure if I will wear the gear full time in my class if Im in there with more home owner types looking to get a basic defensive rifle class.

Last edited:
    Reactions: deltawiskey
    If I would’ve seen this post earlier I would’ve posted sooner.

For the last few years I’ve switched to using all non-issued gear. I wear a HSGI SureGrip belt w/ a HSGI rigger’s belt w/ Cobra Buckle, 2 ITW pistol FastMags, ITW Rifle Fastmag, HSGI radio pouch, HSGI cuff carriers, tourniquet (TQ), Safariland ALS/SLS holster w/ 2.5” drop attachment (not a drop rig holster) & Tactical Taylor ASP carrier. I hang all of this off my shoulders w/ a HSGI harness & suspenders. All my gear is attached via Malice Clips. I have a IIIA soft vest & plates. Both are set up w/ a shingle (3X 5.56 mags), 3 pistol mags, a radio pouch & IFAK. Depending on what in doing, I’ll strap on a CamelBack or take an old school 2qt w/ me. It just depends on the day.

I wear my gear at minimum 5 days per week & my shit gets abused. So far it has held up incredibly well. The belt will get a bit hot (especially) during the summer months. Drink more water.

*The drop rig w/ panel has its place I guess, but not for anything I do.

You should wear this gear as much as possible to get used to it, work the bugs out, etc. It does get heavy at times & I’m not getting any younger either, but can you put a price on your life? That’s how I view the inconvenience of carrying the extra weight. If you’ve got questions feel free to PM or ask here.

Reactions: jrassy
    I would definitely look into a dropped holster. Not a thigh rig, but a holster that attaches to your belt and hangs a little lower. Safariland and others make adapters. They wont work with your universal holster, but for the warbelt I would go with kydex or a Safariland ALS type holster anyways.

I just bought a Garret Industries drop kydex. It will ride about 2 inches lower than my walking around in the woods canvas holster.

Reactions: ReaperMedic
    I think you will hear a standard consensus on using the low ride holster or adapter to drop the pistol lower to clear a carrier. Good call on buying the drop kydex holster. You will be glad you did, especially if wearing your plate carrier. If I remember correctly my Safariland drop is 2.5". Feels just right to me, but I have stupidly long arms compared to my height (ie wing span is 4" longer than my height)

Red Tac Apollo. Don't know if and where you can find one now. Had mine for years with Tactical Tailor Operator Pack / kit. TT light flight pouches carbine and pistol mags, multitool, small first aid / repair kit / snacks and condor pistol holster. Cant really find a good holster w/ light so I picked one of these up. This has worked for me for everything pack on or off depending. It will support a good load all day walking hiking on twisted terrain.

http://redtacgear.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50&sid=fe33bc3ea97ffc20e8308929f75a24d6

https://www.tacticaltailor.com/fightlightremovableoperator.aspx

https://www.tacticaltailor.com/removableoperatorpackattachmentkit.aspx

A quality light bearing holster? Easy enough. I use a Safariland ALS / SLS light-bearing holster. The holster’s specific part number will vary depending upon your particular pistol. This is the best pistol holster I’ve ever used. Trust me when I say that my gear gets its ass kicked 5 days a week in a tough environment. I’ve been using this particular holster since summer 2014 & it’s still in perfect working condition.

Don’t get caught up in the hype & buy a Serpa; I’ve used them & didn’t like them for a number of reasons ranging from draw-speed to safety issues.

The ALS / SLS is the fastest holster I’ve ever used. I use it for work, training, schools & when I can make it to comps.

A quality light bearing holster? Easy enough. I use a Safariland ALS / SLS light-bearing holster. The holster’s specific part number will vary depending upon your particular pistol. This is the best pistol holster I’ve ever used. Trust me when I say that my gear gets its ass kicked 5 days a week in a tough environment. I’ve been using this particular holster since summer 2014 & it’s still in perfect working condition.

Don’t get caught up in the hype & buy a Serpa; I’ve used them & didn’t like them for a number of reasons ranging from draw-speed to safety issues.

The ALS / SLS is the fastest holster I’ve ever used. I use it for work, training, schools & when I can make it to comps.

I use a version of the ALS at work.

It's like a gun bucket.

Drop the pistol in, just naturally fills your hand when you want to pull the pistol out.

I'm going to try the GI and see how that goes.

Decided I will only run the double triple shingle for class.

I'll be buying two separate double singles otherwise.

The extra slot will be for a water bottle or to just open some space on my lower back.

The belt is a class tool or a out walking in the woods thing. Some gear on hand and any extra stuff nearby in car or pack.

Work gear tends toward shiny patent black leather and if necessary the carrier with all the necessities is in the back of the car.

Check out the GCode RTI system for you holster set up. https://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/gca200-rti-optimal-drop-pistol-platform/

They make an awesome drop holster attachment system for Safariland holsters. You can change out holsters without taking your rig off.

I have owned both HSGI belts, currently using the slim as well. You'll be fine with it. However if I was to take a carbine class again I think I would go back to the 3 rows of molle. I personally feel that my pouches were more secure (less movement when manipulating contents) with that third row.

I had the same TT dump pouch but ended up switching out with this one
    https://www.skdtac.com/Emdom-MM-Dump-Pouch-p/e2m.106.htm
    Blind mag inserts into the pouch were inconsistent because the opening would not stay open until a few mags made it in. In addition, mags would occasionally fall out during position changes/Fast movements. The Emdom pouch was the solution for me.

I'm no professional tho. Just an average Joe. You have a nice rig. See what works for you.

Reactions: Wyzrd and pmclaine
    Battle belts are gay.

What you need is a scalable outer gun belt that attaches via velcro to your pants belt.

With limited amount of play I can see where the outer attached to the inner would be more secure/faster.

Educate me whats out there that would meet the needs of my gender fluid self.

Im guessing a standsrd cobra/riggers belt with a velcro outer.

A molle belt the size of the slim grip with a velcro interior would be desirable.

Hey you Johnny come latelys are killing me.....

The G Code stuff is nice. Assume its all made in USA....
    If the route Im going now doesn't work what I think will make it work would be to get one of the G Code inner/outer belts and it looks like the Molle Gear I have would be adaptable.
    If not there is always the SH PX to try and recoup some cost.

I agree with The German. I've got basically this setup:

https://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/the-assaulters-system/

I like most things about it. Mags are secure, the RTI holster is awesome... My med kit is pretty full & flops around on that RTI hanger a little bit, but I manage.
    This would make it pretty painless for you to get into a battle belt. You can piece one together yourself but realistically they all look/use the same items anyways.

I think your original plan should work just fine, @pmclaine, but if not, usually gently used HSGI stuff keeps pretty good value.

Yeah I think for the other few times when not being used in a class or maybe two a year the belt will be used for general walking around in the woods.

Under that intended use Id prefer the padded belt so I can take a pistol, some magazines, FA kit, and a water bottle with a bit of added leisurely comfort.

I think for the leisurely comfort with all that stuff, your padded belt is actually going to work better than what I posted. I like my G-Code rig, but honestly I'd like it better if it were just 2 pistol mags, 2 rifle mags & a holster... Just can't get away from having an IFAK on me. I don't think my belt would handle a Nalgene bottle very well.

Yes nothing is perfect for everything.

The Nalgene will be held in a soft taco. I like to have my water with.

The length of the medium belt is going to be maxed out at two rifle/pistol combos, a dump, bottle, IFAK and holster. There is I guess an advantage to greater waist circumference that I don't enjoy. Its even worse on my work belt. Had to lose a set of cuffs last week as I think carrying a real TQ a better option to have. I can always wait on someone to bring cuffs but it would suck waiting for a TQ.

The holster I chose for the BB will be the one thing I may have to change. I really like the Garret holsters and their leather lined sweetness just unsure how much drop the plate I have coming with it will actually give me.

If it doesn't work it is my preferred regular carry holster (not that I want to conceal a 5 inch 1911) and I can change the backings to another and use it as a field holster.

The G Code plates shown and a Safariland will be where I go if the holster doesn't work.

Hey you Johnny come latelys are killing me.....

The G Code stuff is nice. Assume its all made in USA....
    If the route Im going now doesn't work what I think will make it work would be to get one of the G Code inner/outer belts and it looks like the Molle Gear I have would be adaptable.
    If not there is always the SH PX to try and recoup some cost.
    Made right here in NC by former Marines.

Too late for OP, but my belt recommendation is a Ronin Tactics Senshi with ESSTAC pouches. They aren't cheap, but they are as stiff as board and work with a velcro inner belt so you actually get a belt that wont fall off. I run 2 pistol and two carbine mag pouches, dump, IFAK, holster, and I've never felt like it was over loaded or slipping. If I need more gear I supplement with a Hayley Strategic Micro chest rig. I'll eventually get an SKD slickster with some plates and run the chest rig off it.

I was deployed when the battle belt rage first happened and after sleepless nights thinking about the modularity and all the shit I could put around my waist, I ended up having one sent over to me.

Initially, I was like Fuck Yeah! I can move some of the shit from my carrier; or even add more shit as I need it!

Then I sat in a vehicle and basically sat on half the shit. Getting to the sidearm was a disaster. The damn thing started to rotate on my hips both in the vehicle and when dismounted. It had a weird matrix of, it fits and then now there's a 4 inch gap in it because I'm crouching. It got worse when laying in weird positions against terrain or in just weird positions behind cover where it was a grab bag of fun choices like, why is my pistol infront of my dick, or, why does my fucking hip bone hurt so badly being dug into this magazine pouch with a full 30 round mag in it, or my favorite, why is this dump pouch trying to sling itself up between my legs and constantly attempt to hit me in the balls.

Then there's what happens while you have to run and move. There was a lot of that. The people who usually chime in with 'my belt stays where it is all the time!1!111' generally only use it looking tacticool at the range and/or don't ever fucking do F/M bounding. Here's a test for your battle belt; put all the shit you need on it. Now go sprint 30 yards, stop, sprint 30 yards, stop, sprint 30 more yards. Now try and do flip onto your couch. If you're fat, your belt is now around your chest. If you're not, the belt is at some weird angle and rotation trying to make itself some kind of weird hip thong. The battle belts strength is its weakeness; you can put a good amount of shit on it. The weight for all of that is what makes it bounce around and move, regardless of how well it fits when you're standing there staring at yourself in the mirror.

The only real way around this is an inner velcro belt that's on your pants that anchors the modular belt, but in that case be smarter and get a inner velcro belt with an exterior gun belt that you can add molle onto like the AWS system, or already has molle on it like some of the Volund or Ronin. Why? Because you can scale it instead of having the entire modular belt there the entire time. I also wouldn't hook on to anything via the D ring on a cordura battle belt. personally I use the AWS outer belt with the molle panels as needed and have a Snake Eater inner belt.

I know someone is going to link a picture of some SOC guys or mean looking contractors with a battle belt on to prove their point. Two things; thats probably from around 2006, and if you see the one with some SOC and DoD guys, I'm the one with the miltech MVM marked combat shirt and the pink colored ballistic glasses (which I still have!) in the picture where you see the emblem mural on the wall behind us from when 2/2 moved into Kandahar.

Scale your gear. You sort of have the right idea with the belt but I would honestly go with a carrier (chest rig for practice) as your 'base' and scale from there. Chances are you won't move much around on a carrier (chest rig) because that's your fighting setup. You can bring just that and leave anything else behind, or scale and bring it. You'll have your armor, hydro, primary mags, IFAK, comms gear (wheres comms gear go on a battle belt?) and any misc shit you need. Need a pistol because you'll be mounted? Get a CRYE MBITR suite pouch that you can put a smoke, frag or 2 mags in and instead secure your pistol in it; mine is on my carrier at 2/230 so its either supplementary magazines, smoke or I put the sidearm in it which is easily accessible while seated.

Then scale it with the belt. You have a secondary mission specific weapon you made me tote around all day; well the mags for it are now on my belt at 8 o clock. Move your sidearm off your rig and into the holster on your belt. Need more primary mags to get to without rummaging through the truck or your ruck, they're on the belt. Need a GP pouch for specific mission items for just today? Belt. Yet if your belt were to disappear down a river, or fall off a cliff, outside of your mission specific shit being lost (shame on you!) you still have your primary ammo, comms, hydro and armor.

I know this is for a class. But you're going to that class to learn how to shoot better and ultimately should it come to that, shoot at people. Would you only take a battle belt to that? If not, why train with one as your primarily piece of gear?

ETA - Best holster setup on the planet is a Safariland holster with the GCode adapter and GCode duty mount. The only problem I've ever had was when drawing the pistol, sometimes the bottom of the holster would want to tip outwards because its attachment point on your belt is much higher. You can fix this by buying a single Sarfariland leg strap, unscrewing the GCode RTI wheel and running the strap through it. Then you have a simple leg strap that holds the holster down and it won't try and flip outwards when you draw.

Last edited:
    I was deployed when the battle belt rage first happened and after sleepless nights thinking about the modularity and all the shit I could put around my waist, I ended up having one sent over to me.

Initially, I was like Fuck Yeah! I can move some of the shit from my carrier; or even add more shit as I need it!

Then I sat in a vehicle and basically sat on half the shit. Getting to the sidearm was a disaster. The damn thing started to rotate on my hips both in the vehicle and when dismounted. It had a weird matrix of, it fits and then now there's a 4 inch gap in it because I'm crouching. It got worse when laying in weird positions against terrain or in just weird positions behind cover where it was a grab bag of fun choices like, why is my pistol infront of my dick, or, why does my fucking hip bone hurt so badly being dug into this magazine pouch with a full 30 round mag in it, or my favorite, why is this dump pouch trying to sling itself up between my legs and constantly attempt to hit me in the balls.

Then there's what happens while you have to run and move. There was a lot of that. The people who usually chime in with 'my belt stays where it is all the time!1!111' generally only use it looking tacticool at the range and/or don't ever fucking do F/M bounding. Here's a test for your battle belt; put all the shit you need on it. Now go sprint 30 yards, stop, sprint 30 yards, stop, sprint 30 more yards. Now try and do flip onto your couch. If you're fat, your belt is now around your chest. If you're not, the belt is at some weird angle and rotation trying to make itself some kind of weird hip thong. The battle belts strength is its weakeness; you can put a good amount of shit on it. The weight for all of that is what makes it bounce around and move, regardless of how well it fits when you're standing there staring at yourself in the mirror.

The only real way around this is an inner velcro belt that's on your pants that anchors the modular belt, but in that case be smarter and get a inner velcro belt with an exterior gun belt that you can add molle onto like the AWS system, or already has molle on it like some of the Volund or Ronin. Why? Because you can scale it instead of having the entire modular belt there the entire time. I also wouldn't hook on to anything via the D ring on a cordura battle belt. personally I use the AWS outer belt with the molle panels as needed and have a Snake Eater inner belt.

I know someone is going to link a picture of some SOC guys or mean looking contractors with a battle belt on to prove their point. Two things; thats probably from around 2006, and if you see the one with some SOC and DoD guys, I'm the one with the miltech MVM marked combat shirt and the pink colored ballistic glasses (which I still have!) in the picture where you see the emblem mural on the wall behind us from when 2/2 moved into Kandahar.

Scale your gear. You sort of have the right idea with the belt but I would honestly go with a carrier (chest rig for practice) as your 'base' and scale from there. Chances are you won't move much around on a carrier (chest rig) because that's your fighting setup. You can bring just that and leave anything else behind, or scale and bring it. You'll have your armor, hydro, primary mags, IFAK, comms gear (wheres comms gear go on a battle belt?) and any misc shit you need. Need a pistol because you'll be mounted? Get a CRYE MBITR suite pouch that you can put a smoke, frag or 2 mags in and instead secure your pistol in it; mine is on my carrier at 2/230 so its either supplementary magazines, smoke or I put the sidearm in it which is easily accessible while seated.

Then scale it with the belt. You have a secondary mission specific weapon you made me tote around all day; well the mags for it are now on my belt at 8 o clock. Move your sidearm off your rig and into the holster on your belt. Need more primary mags to get to without rummaging through the truck or your ruck, they're on the belt. Need a GP pouch for specific mission items for just today? Belt. Yet if your belt were to disappear down a river, or fall off a cliff, outside of your mission specific shit being lost (shame on you!) you still have your primary ammo, comms, hydro and armor.

I know this is for a class. But you're going to that class to learn how to shoot better and ultimately should it come to that, shoot at people. Would you only take a battle belt to that? If not, why train with one as your primarily piece of gear?

ETA - Best holster setup on the planet is a Safariland holster with the GCode adapter and GCode duty mount. The only problem I've ever had was when drawing the pistol, sometimes the bottom of the holster would want to tip outwards because its attachment point on your belt is much higher. You can fix this by buying a single Sarfariland leg strap, unscrewing the GCode RTI wheel and running the strap through it. Then you have a simple leg strap that holds the holster down and it won't try and flip outwards when you draw.

So funny it rings of truth.

Forget a battle belt, now I want some pink ballistic glasses!
    Jokes aside, German makes a good point about a chest rig. Depends how much gear you want on your person I guess.

Bingo! Ronin senshi

I’ve used the velcro inner belt w/ outer belt & keepers & found it to be absolutely worthless. I preferred a leather inner belt to the Velcro inner belt if using an outer belt & keepers. It doesn’t take the weight off your hips or lower back & it still bounces around. Also, you still have to use those stupid ass keepers. Huge fucking FAIL. If it works for you, rock that shit like the 4th of July. But, in my experience it sucked ass.

I think it all comes down to what else are you wearing and what are you intending to do while wearing it.

With a plate carrier I see big benefit to a relatively clean pistol belt and a loaded carrier.

If not wearing a carrier Id prefer a little bit more packed slim grip with the ability to use suspenders if need be.

Not familiar with chest rigs but have an LBT assaulters vest found spare at work and they seem to suffer from poor fit likely need to be anchored somehow. Wonder if chest gear is similar. Dont need to find out, Im liking belts.

Ive got good options now, based on info here Ive been helped with what to load, why and when there are benefits to having options.

All good.

so here is my current setup for reference

IMG_1101.jpg

my philosophy was to have the plate carrier be the "main" system......and then have the belt be a supplement mainly to run a pistol, but that is able to lightly support a rifle.

BELT:
    5.11 Riggers belt
    Safariland GLS on a low ride drop.
    Medkit
    small utility knife
    dump pouch
    1 rifle mag
    1 pistol mag

i feel its important to keep the belt rig light, and to keep everything below the belt line, especially mags.....this is so you arent impeding motion and so you dont jab yourself in the ribs if you have to bend in an odd position.

PLATE CARRIER:
    AR500 Testudo
    LVL3 UHMWPE plates
    3 pistol mags
    6 rifle mags
    Admin pouch with batteries/pens/ paper/ect
    Radio
    Hydration carrier
    spare TQ w/shears

i feel its important to keep the sides clear for motion and so you dont impede your pistol draw

i also try to keep the back relatively flat so you can sit fairly normally, and because you cant readily reach anything on your back anyways

Reactions: pmclaine
    I’ve used the velcro inner belt w/ outer belt & keepers & found it to be absolutely worthless. I preferred a leather inner belt to the Velcro inner belt if using an outer belt & keepers. It doesn’t take the weight off your hips or lower back & it still bounces around. Also, you still have to use those stupid ass keepers. Huge fucking FAIL. If it works for you, rock that shit like the 4th of July. But, in my experience it sucked ass.
    You might be stupid

Really? How so? The Velcro belt is shit. Period. I wore a leather belt w/ keepers for a few years. Some of the things I didn’t like is that when you have run anywhere it bounces around. Keepers are a pain in the ass. Keep rocking the Velcro inner belt & keepers. It’s not my headache. I swapped all my shit over years ago & never looked back. I wear my setup 5 days a week & it works really well.

For the kind of work I do it works really well.

It all comes down to use. Not one piece of gear will be best.

Say I was a Border Patrol agent humping long days in the brush, Id want comfort and some shoulder suspension.

If Im a run and gunner relying on my plate carrier Id want a lighter belt for last resort gear and with all the movement I want that shit velcroed to my waist, not twisting around and getting all fucked up.

There is a reason they make different shit.

The belts in the end are the cheap part.

My question would have been better had it been "Which "pouches/accessories" to get for attaching to a PC/chest rig/battle belt/ duty belt that will work universally".

Reactions: WATERWALKER
    Okay an update...

My holster arrived today.

Garret industries had a sale just before Christmas with 20% off their stuff.

At the time I ordered, the best they had for mounting for my needs was a drop attachment with duty offset creating a mid ride.......

P1058405.JPG

It actually works pretty well getting the grip of the pistol below the top of the belt and with enough offset I can get a grip from the holster.

I just saw Garret now has an adapter for Safariland and GCode systems so this holster can (and will be) eventually set up using one of those attachment designs.

With the gear layed flat it looks like the FA kit covers the grip but once on a round body everything has some separation, its not so congested - but neither is there real estate for more unless I eat more burgers and pizza.

Still thats a lot of belt crap. The water bottle likely will come off for rifle play but is handy should i be just hiking in the woods. Ill probably move the fat tourniquet on the pistol side of the FA kit and swap its position with the not so fat bandage on the water bottle side. I have suspenders for when I want this shit to hang from the shoulders rather than ride my hips.

So this is the strap it on, take it off, version for gear carry, probably wont be wearing any sort of gear above the belt on my torso if I choose to wear this. You cant be too active with this I can tell it will quickly rotate with any real activity and Ill have the pistol covering my balls pretty quick. Would likely be the less "scary" choice for my upcoming class as it is what the Sig academy recommends and sells in their pro shop.

Im intending on following @TheGerman 's suggestion of the inner velcro belt outer molle belt for when I intend to use a plate carrier. that option will be stripped down and likely be one pistol/rifle mag only.

Reactions: Mike 556
    look into a leg strap for the pistol, itll help secure the pistol, and will help prevent the belt from twisting.....plus it give off the "han solo" vibe, and i hear chicks dig that.

IMG_1120.JPG

got mine from Trex arms.....fits right between the drop and the holster.

Reactions: kcbird