• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

This definitely sucks. Submarine lost.

Just threw together this little gem:

ZomboMeme 8592.jpg

I can see this scenario being asked and played out in psychometric/stress testing in the future:

"Imagine you are stuck at the bottom of the ocean enclosed in a tube with only 96hrs of oxygen for the 5 of you. Onboard, there's a British Billionaire, Pakistani Billionaire with his teenage son, and a French Explorer. You are the 5th person and also Captain of this shithole. As you wait for rescue, do you:
1) Behave like a captain, calm everyone down and share precious resources like oxygen with everyone
or
2) Start doing the math, calculate who to take out and in what order, so as to give yourself more oxygen and higher chance of lasting till being rescued
or
3) Pull the self destruct plug and end the misery asap. Your career is toast anyway.

What would you do and why?"

I bet this was first and foremost on all of their minds...

Thats what I'm thinking, lots of panic and the Pakistanis chanting, rocking and praying out loud, probably nonstop.

Plus, the O2 it took to kick that sub owner's ass.

Assuming they didn't die instantly, there was likely vomting involved. Circle-vomiting, and higher consumption of oxygen from that too.

This is all almost unbelievable. A guy with that much money, piecing together a sub with hardware store parts and pieces of an rv and thinking he is going to us AEROSPACE tech over deepsea tech-in a DEEP SEA enviroment. The only thing that surprises me is that this didnt happen to him sooner- unless this was his maiden voyage.

Almost unbelievable, but he made it to the Titanic in that thing cover 20 times!

Remember when Mel Fischer found the Atocha? Florida never bothered to look for it but they thanked Mel for his efforts then said, "the treasure is ours."

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Spain get in on the thievery? They claimed the ship belonged to them, even though they didn't lay any claim to it for over 600 years.

Fischer and Florida eventually settled. Spain probably figured out that they weren't going to get anything.

After than, maritime salvage law changed dramatically all over the world. The governments of the world were not going to let another Mel Fischer cash in on sunken treasure again.

I bring this up as an example of how this disaster could affect maritime law again. Look how much money has probably been spent by several governments on the rescue efforts.

In order to prevent this from happening again, and expending government funds, I'm willing to bet that there will be mountains of regulations enacted for future subsurface craft to comply with.

You heard it here first on SH!

Pretty horrific. I'm assuming they were in total darkness, in a capsule at the bottom of the ocean. Thats approaching the wood chipper and brazen bull as bad ways to go.

I can see this scenario being asked and played out in psychometric/stress testing in the future:

"Imagine you are stuck at the bottom of the ocean enclosed in a tube with only 96hrs of oxygen for the 5 of you. Onboard, there's a British Billionaire, Pakistani Billionaire with his teenage son, and a French Explorer. You are the 5th person and also Captain of this shithole. As you wait for rescue, do you:
1) Behave like a captain, calm everyone down and share precious resources like oxygen with everyone
or
2) Start doing the math, calculate who to take out and in what order, so as to give yourself more oxygen and higher chance of lasting till being rescued
or
3) Pull the self destruct plug and end the misery asap. Your career is toast anyway.

What would you do and why?"

I bet this was first and foremost on all of their minds...
Dead body still uses up oxygen to decay .

Last edited:
Assuming they didn't die instantly, there was likely vomting involved. Circle-vomiting, and higher consumption of oxygen from that too.
In a 2.5 meter tin can, with no water food or bathroom. If they did not go quick I bet they wish they had.

Reactions: Maggot
Not just meet and greet, It is meet, greet, room and board…

So seems they have found landing parts and frame. The 'capsule' is nowhere to be found.

My guess is that it imploded into Carbon Fiber splinters and some cat treats. And those floated away on the currents. It was instant. As Ballard said. There was no 'sitting around waiting to be rescued.' They never knew they died.

Maybe heard some cracking right before the whole world ignited.

Oh well.

I had not heard that the sub made it to the Titanic 20 times, per a post above. I thought it never made it... had several false starts. But I am probably wrong. If it made it 20 times... that certainly would have caused the Carbon Fiber to delaminate and crush. It's not made for that stuff.

Sirhr

So seems they have found landing parts and frame. The 'capsule' is nowhere to be found.

My guess is that it imploded into Carbon Fiber splinters and some cat treats. And those floated away on the currents. It was instant. As Ballard said. There was no 'sitting around waiting to be rescued.' They never knew they died.

Oh well.

I had not heard that the sub made it to the Titanic 20 times, per a post above. I thought it never made it... had several false starts. But I am probably wrong. If it made it 20 times... that certainly would have caused the Carbon Fiber to delaminate and crush. It's not made for that stuff.

Sirhr
But think of the money he saved…….titanium ain’t cheap

• Haha
Reactions: myronman3
Logitech's stock just shot up. WTF?

I hope this hasn't started a fad.

The controls need to come with a Warning label. "Not to be used to operate homemade submersible sunbmarines."

Hey they are the only budget game controller tested at that depth, I understand Atari is in talks for their next sub to use a joystick from 1983.

Damn, and Gordon Lightfoot just died recently. Who is going to write the song about THIS disaster?
Several options...

Young, inspirational non-binary type, preferably a person of color. No doubt playing traditional Peshawar tribal music on a lute.

Blink-182. I mean... they have been part of this from the beginning.

Wierd Al. Because it just seems like it must be done.

Sirhr

You are correct, the baby doesn't have a billion dollar bank account to reward rescuers with. However, The One who made dry land the air and the sea has placed a worth on the babies far more than gold and filthy lucre. So if He values that baby, I do as well. I just wish I had billions of dollars to save their lives.
Good point..

You wanna know what God thinks of money..??
Just look at a lot of the people he gives it to, so to speak..
Soros for a decent example.

The "barista"

72378385-12219377-_They_were_saying_they_were_excited_for_a_good_expedition_And_a_-a-64_1687433774231.jpg

If that's a modern Canadian, I say we load up the truck and go conquer Canada.
That shirt is very... sailory.

Just the thing for pretending to be a sailor in one of those "Sailor" bars on Crescent St. in Montreal. @Sean the Nailer probably knows what this is.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: Cardboard55

Just the thing for pretending to be a sailor in one of those "Sailor" bars on Crescent St. in Montreal. @Sean the Nailer probably knows what this is.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Barista looks disturbingly like Trudeau, almost as if they are cloning him for some nefarious purpose...

The "barista"

72378385-12219377-_They_were_saying_they_were_excited_for_a_good_expedition_And_a_-a-64_1687433774231.jpg

If that's a modern Canadian, I say we load up the truck and go conquer Canada.
We're definitely not all like that, but invade away. It would take comparatively few pro gun, pro freedom people to take over Canada and fix it than would be required for the same job in the USA. And there's lots of wide open space to shoot long range here too.
Kristian

So this is what the moron had to say about the view port....
It’s acrylic – plexiglass,' Rush tells Estrada after being asked what the window mounted at the front of the Titan vessel is made of.
'It is seven inches thick and weighs about 80lbs. And when we go to the Titanic, it will squeeze in about three-quarters of an inch and just deforms,' he explains.
'And acrylic is great because before it cracks or fails, it starts to crackle so you get a huge warning if it’s going to fail.'
Bwaaahhhhhaaaaahhhhhhhhh........
"Hey did you hear that?"
"Hear what?"
"Sounded like a crackling sound....there it is agai.................

Oh well.

Sirhr
I also heard laminated carbon fiber was not impervious to salt water and would began degrading from the onset.
Even if a vessel made a successful round trip intact, it should be considered disposable and scrapped based on that.

At 250K a head, the company was making enough profit to use a fresh sub each trip.

Reactions: 101st

Cheers,

Sirhr
I don't know exactly when the sub imploded but I'm pretty certain I could beat the fuck out of that guy with one hand tied behind my back.

It’s acrylic – plexiglass,' Rush tells Estrada after being asked what the window mounted at the front of the Titan vessel is made of.
'It is seven inches thick and weighs about 80lbs. And when we go to the Titanic, it will squeeze in about three-quarters of an inch and just deforms,' he explains.
'And acrylic is great because before it cracks or fails, it starts to crackle so you get a huge warning if it’s going to fail.'
"Hey did you hear that?"
"Hear what?"

1000001133.jpg

All things considered, it was a pretty impressive rescue attempt, considering none of the parties were on notice for the dive (USCG always is, but not for that kind of depth)

Somewhere there's an animated graphic that shows 8 or more ships getting up a head of steam and converging on the site. USCG, Canadian and French resources. Those guys deserve a toast, even though the search only confirmed the worst fears.

I'd bet the Navy heard the implosion, but won't say for obvious reasons. IIRC, they heard Scorpion, and it was thousands of miles away, and with much older technology.

"Hey did you hear that?"
"Hear what?"
titan-viewport-1-01.jpeg

"Hey did you hear that?"
"Hear what?"
He was also touting the fact that the hull was outfitted with strain gauges that would annunciate/alarm when dangerously high levels of deflection were detected, due to the extreme pressures they would be operating in...........