• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft This is how you do range math Check it out

Great stuff thanks for putting this together. will be using for sure

i find this extremely confusing whats with <span style="font-weight: bold" >5</span> "<span style="font-weight: bold">5</span>00 meters" x 9 = 45 drop the two 00 in 5<span style="font-weight: bold">00</span> and insert the 45 for 545yds <span style="font-weight>bold">5</span> "<span style="font-weight: bold">5</span>00 meters" x 9 = 45 drop the two 00 in 5<span style="font-weight: bold">00</span> and insert the 45 for 545yds seeems like its in computer programmer code?
I did a quick find and replace to correct the code issues. Maybe John or a moderator can correct the original post

This is how you do range math Check it out.

There is 91.44 meters to every 100 yards. So if I wanted to do the math in my head its simple.

I take the 9 from the 91.44 as a constant.

I go 2 "200yds" x 9 = 18 move the last 0 in 100 to the end of the 18 and get 180meters

This is very close and will still get a hit on target. the difference between 90 and 91.44 is not much.

Here are some more yards to meter range math:

2 "200yds" x 9 = 18 move the last 0 in 200 to the end of 18 and get 180meters

3 "300yds" x 9 = 27 move the last 0 in 300 to the end of 27 and get 270meters

4 "400yds" x 9 = 36 move the last 0 in 400 to the end of 36 and get 360meters

5 "500yds" x 9 = 45 move the last 0 in 500 to the end of 45 and get 450meters

6 "600yds" x 9 = 54 move the last 0 in 600 to the end of 54 and get 540meters

So on it goes

going from meters to yards is the same game just a different direction.

What you do is go with the same 9 from the 91.44

I take the 2 "200meters" x 9 = 18 drop the two 00 in 200 and insert the 18 for 218yds

Now lets look at the same distances just in meters

3 "300 meters" x 9 = 27 drop the two 00 in 300 and insert the 27 for 327yds

4 "400 meters" x 9 = 36 drop the two 00 in 400 and insert the 36 for 436yds

5 "500 meters" x 9 = 45 drop the two 00 in 500 and insert the 45 for 545yds

6 "600 meters" x 9 = 54 drop the two 00 in 600 and insert the 54 for 654yds

Last edited:
Reactions: JHOFF
This is awesome thanks for the simple approach

You know what's even faster?

Just do everything in metres!

Call to arms to my US brothers - give up the Imperial system. You stopped being a colony a long time ago; de-colonize your maths too.

Come and join us in the 20th century already! :)

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
The OP's short cut doesn't work so easily when the distance is meters isn't a whole multiple of 100

Let's try it his way with 483 meters

483/9 = ? Who the fuck can do that in their head?

Here's a faster way

1 meter = 1.09 yards, round it to 1.1

556 meters = 556 + 55 = 611 yards

483 meter = 48 (10% of 483) + 83 + 400 = 531 yards

Close enough

Reactions: sandwarrior
The OP's short cut doesn't work so easily when the distance is meters isn't a whole multiple of 100

Let's try it his way with 483 meters

483/9 = ? Who the fuck can do that in their head?

Here's a faster way

1 meter = 1.09 yards, round it to 1.1

556 meters = 556 + 55 = 611 yards

483 meter = 48 (10% of 483) + 83 + 400 = 531 yards

Close enough
Agreed, much easier to go from yards to meters. Using the 1.1 formula is the easiest to do in your head.

Last edited:

Call to arms to my US brothers - give up the Imperial system. You stopped being a colony a long time ago; de-colonize your maths too.

When you got a whole nation that's built on miles, yards and feet, (over the course of a couple hundred years) the changeover is a little more difficult than just going to a system no one has a clue about.

It may be based on tens, but that don't mean the tens are relative to what we know.

When you got a whole nation that's built on miles, yards and feet, (over the course of a couple hundred years) the changeover is a little more difficult than just going to a system no one has a clue about.

It may be based on tens, but that don't mean the tens are relative to what we know.
I hear ya - we did it in Australia and New Zealand. Confusing as all get out for the first decade or so; then natural to the next generation.

I reckon it's worth changing the entire country's system if for nothing else than the sake of faster range and field math! :)

The more entrenched it is, the more cold turkey you make it go. A gradual approach never works.

I hear ya, but..........

metric.jpg

And before anyone thinks I can't count......Apollo 8 and 10 went to the moon, they just didn't land

Yeah, but imagine how much easier it would have been to build all that shit if you were using a base 10 system ...

:)

There was another country trying to get to the moon and they were using the metric system.

They didn't make it

:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: sandwarrior
I hear ya - we did it in Australia and New Zealand. Confusing as all get out for the first decade or so; then natural to the next generation.

I reckon it's worth changing the entire country's system if for nothing else than the sake of faster range and field math! :)
So, how tall are you young man?