• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft This is how you do range math Check it out

Re: This is how you do range math Check it out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unforgiven</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So why the hell did I just spend $500.00 on a range finder!!

jk, good post, I would have had 10 typos in a post that long.

Good Job!! </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">YOU have to have a STARTING PLACE is why.......................</span>
grin.gif

outstanding quick math, i appreciate it

Thats a handy little trick, and the 10% system seems to work in mind just as easy.

Interesting topic but I don't do math in public very well. I guess I just defaulted back to my HS track days were the conversion from yards to meters was easy. I always just used the following:

100m = 110yds
200m = 220
300m = 330
400m = 440
500m = 550
600m = 660
800m = 880

and so on.... Before everything went metric, I used to run the 440yd relay and the 880 and the mile events. Our sprinters used to run the 110 and 220 yd dash. I guess I always just memorized those numbers and didn't need conversion math.

Now, life is even better. I use a scope with Mil/mil turrets and a mil reticle. And an iphone w/ Ballistic FTE makes life even better. Now if I could just get my spotter to stop calling misses in MOA, life would be perfect....
grin.gif

My ranging methods

have- Mil-dot scope 9x (11" @ 1222yrds = .25mil)
have- GPS
need- Range-finder - outside 1000yrds
want- Mil-dot Spotting scope

And my Iphone

i just go with the 10 percent rule , as someone else here said its good enough for government work.

All I can say is life is tought for the US customary system users...
smile.gif

My system is like this:

measure objects AND range in meters (whoa! <span style="font-style: italic">same units for both</span>, and <span style="font-style: italic">decimal</span>, what a concept!)

then: target size * 1000 / mil reading = range

done

it is also nice that (since metric units are <span style="font-style: italic">decimal</span>) they correlate exactly with mils:

0.1 mil (aka 1 click) = 1 cm at 100 m
10 mils (aka as "head to crotch") = 1 m at 100 m

Tarkio is on to the best way to get an accurate head-measurement on yards-->meters and back.

For mils-MOA stuff (when I bothered with THAT), I rounded to 3.5, and subtracted 5% (1/10 with a decimal shift, then cut THAT in half). When in a fractions mood I would call 1/10 Mil 3/8s of an inch or .375.

4 inches = 10 CM (really, really close, remember 10mm Norma before .40 S&W???), 1 foot = .305 meter, 10 inches = 25.4 cm, and ranging YARDS with a mil-scale works really well with foot = .333, every 6 inches is .167 yard, and every 4 inches is .111 yard (8" = .222, 16" studs CTC in construction is .444 yard, etc).

Those reference points have served me well over the short time I've been trying to do this ranging crap without batteries.

Thank you. I know I will use this info.

I just change the mode from my rangefinder from
yards to meters
grin.gif

kidding aside its a good to know in case the batteries crap the bed
wink.gif

The metric system is your friend! Next you guy's will be driving on the left hand side of the road too!

All jokes aside.... great information, I appreciate it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tarkio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To go the other way, yards to meters, I subtract 10% and then add a tenth of what I just subtracted.

756 yards = ? meters

756 - 10% (75.6) = 680.5

And then add 10% of 75.6 (7.5)

680.5 + 7.5 = 688 meters, more or less.

Hope this isn't too confusing.

The official conversion would be 756 * .9144 = 691.</div></div>
This is the method I've always used except in adding the 10% without any numbers after the decimal (to make it easier on my brain).

<span style="text-decoration: underline">5</span>50 yds - 10% = 495 + 5 = 500 m (Actual value = 502.9 m)

<span style="text-decoration: underline">3</span>20 yds - 10% = 288 + 3 = 291 m (Actual value = 292.6 m)

<span style="text-decoration: underline">13</span>50 yds - 10% = 1215 + 13 = 1228 m (Actual value = 1234.4 m)

Of course, if you have a calculator available then all of this is moot.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: English</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Boyette,

'100m range using 90 yard dope' - 'cough', how about 110yard dope?
wink.gif

English </div></div>

Why not just dope 100meters without conversion? LOL.

Just kiddin- I would never be able to shift to yds. I imagine it must be just as hard other way around.

This is a great thread! Thanks for all the good tips guys (J.Boyette especially).

Or you could just download the Myconvert app
wink.gif

Ok someone needs to get some photos of a mil scope on targets so webcam check our math.

Thank you so much for this info. This is going to make my life a lot easier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got your thinking cap on?

If not go get it.

This is how you do range math Check it out.

There is 91.44 meters to every 100 yards. So if I wanted to do the math in my head its simple.

I take the <span style="font-weight: bold">9</span> from the <span style="font-weight: bold">9</span>1.44 as a constant.

I go <span style="font-weight: bold">2</span> "<span style="font-weight: bold">2</span>00yds" x 9 = 18 move the last 0 in 10<span style="font-weight: bold">0</span> to the end of the 18 and get 180meters

This is very close and will still get a hit on target. the difference between 90 and 91.44 is not much.

Here are some more yards to meter range math:

<span style="font-weight: bold">2</span> "<span style="font-weight: bold">2</span>00yds" x 9 = 18 move the last 0 in 20<span style="font-weight: bold">0</span> to the end of 18 and get 180meters

<span style="font-weight: bold">3</span> "<span style="font-weight: bold">3</span>00yds" x 9 = 27 move the last 0 in 30<span style="font-weight: bold">0</span> to the end of 27 and get 270meters

<span style="font-weight: bold">4</span> "<span style="font-weight: bold">4</span>00yds" x 9 = 36 move the last 0 in 40<span style="font-weight: bold">0</span> to the end of 36 and get 360meters

<span style="font-weight: bold">5</span> "<span style="font-weight: bold">5</span>00yds" x 9 = 45 move the last 0 in 50<span style="font-weight: bold">0</span> to the end of 45 and get 450meters

<span style="font-weight: bold">6</span> "<span style="font-weight: bold">6</span>00yds" x 9 = 54 move the last 0 in 60<span style="font-weight: bold">0</span> to the end of 54 and get 540meters

So on it goes

going from meters to yards is the same game just a different direction.

What you do is go with the same 9 from the <span style="font-weight: bold">9</span>1.44

I take the <span style="font-weight: bold">2</span> "<span style="font-weight: bold">2</span>00meters" x 9 = 18 drop the two 00 in 2<span style="font-weight: bold">00</span> and insert the 18 for 218yds

Now lets look at the same distances just in meters

<span style="font-weight: bold">3</span> "<span style="font-weight: bold">3</span>00 meters" x 9 = 27 drop the two 00 in 3<span style="font-weight: bold">00</span> and insert the 27 for 327yds

<span style="font-weight: bold">4</span> "<span style="font-weight: bold">4</span>00 meters" x 9 = 36 drop the two 00 in 4<span style="font-weight: bold">00</span> and insert the 36 for 436yds

<span style="font-weight: bold">5</span> "<span style="font-weight: bold">5</span>00 meters" x 9 = 45 drop the two 00 in 5<span style="font-weight: bold">00</span> and insert the 45 for 545yds

<span style="font-weight: bold">6</span> "<span style="font-weight: bold">6</span>00 meters" x 9 = 54 drop the two 00 in 6<span style="font-weight: bold">00</span> and insert the 54 for 654yds

Granted you are off by 1 or 2 yards but it gets hits anyhow

So on it goes

Think I am nuts? Look here and do the conversion ---> <span style="font-weight: bold">LINK</span>

type in 100 and pick your conversion.

John
</div></div>

Good grief!

Stick with a meters / miliradians combination IMHO.... saves you from maths, no matter how simple.
grin.gif

hunterkiwi,

You missed the point.

what if you shot on a yard range with only meter dope?

Now you can convert your dope.

John

that is pretty clever. I wish I had a good use for it
frown.gif

Great post followed by some other cool ideas - one thing for some hair splitters the more math we do the longer it takes- in the kill is in the kill - on the range and punching paper precision is ultimate - I like the fastest field methods possible even a deer ain't going to stand still forever-

range finders get broken in the brush!!!

I'm years behind the curve, but thanks for the info definately worth adding to my notepad

This is great! I don't know if I will ever use it, but it can't hurt having the knowledge just in case. Thanks for the great info.

Man I just read this whole post and its Awesome thanks for the info great read

I add 1 to my answer for ranges 300 meter and beyond gets you closer for example 6X9 = 54 + 1 = 55 which is 550 meters. the actual range is about 549 meters

+1,000,000

Short-cuts like that are the only reason I went from, slower than a steamy-pile when working math probs in high school, to being able to factor, & solve most of our Algebra equations/problems in my head, faster than most could w/ a calculator. I could always get the correct answer, but it might take me forever. I just had to find a way to make the "why" I was supposed to do this operations/that operation to solve the problem, make sense to me, & sometime I was the ONLY person my reasoning made sense to, but that's what it took.

Thanks for puttin' another tool in my toolbag, OP! I should've known this thread was gonna contain some EPIC GOOD INFO when I saw that the OP was a Boyette! ; )

-Russell Boyette

Novadesigns,

I'm not sure how accurate you are trying to be, but in the field if the target is 549m away and I believe its 540m its still going to hit the same spot because I'm going to use my 550m dope center mass. Nine meters isn't enough to change the point of impact by more than at most an in or two. It is not worth the extra time consideration especially under 800m.

I didn't want to believe this would work, but every time I do it, it comes out. wow...