• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

This is why I would NOT buy ammo online from the auctions.

JGorski

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2011
Central Wis.
Those bastards buying up all the ammo and selling it for big profit should be hung by their balls.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YjVqZ_--0Cs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Don't know how much truth there is to this video, but even assuming its true:

Its OK. Have faith in the free market. Would you prefer there to be legislation or regulation defining how much you pay, for how much of what kind of ammo? How about bread?

Hope not, because that system doesn't work. See USSR.

Don't get me wrong, the current climate is frustrating. However, ammo/components manufacturers want to make money, which they do by making as much product as possible. The hysterical buyers will slow down when they feel they've got enough ammo, or when their money runs out. The "crazy" market will slow down and prices will fall. Meanwhile, those of us that aren't crazy/hysterical are inconvenienced.

Sucks, but the situation will correct itself.

I have driven to Cabelas, Bass Pro, in Phx, been all across the state - there is no .22 cal ammo. I know guys right now, who as soon as they can will buy in the thousands if they are allowed. I have one friend who is a dad and he and his boys have not been shooting in months. There is never any .22 cal ammo. This is in Arizona. I have a buddy in Georgia and gun show prices were $125 for 550 round cartons or bricks. I will beleive the shortage or hoarding or profiteering will be over when everyone finally gets as much as they want. It is going to be a long time. There is never any ammo anymore to include the 06, 7 Rem mag, 300 WSM that were on the shelves for a long time. There are some reloading componnts from time to time. But for the most part a few guys with 10k limits on credit cards have found they can control the market.

In these weird times, I just don't see it ending. For a long time. get it while you can when the cost is reasonable for you.

I have driven to Cabelas, Bass Pro, in Phx, been all across the state - there is no .22 cal ammo. I know guys right now, who as soon as they can will buy in the thousands if they are allowed. I have one friend who is a dad and he and his boys have not been shooting in months. There is never any .22 cal ammo. This is in Arizona. I have a buddy in Georgia and gun show prices were $125 for 550 round cartons or bricks. I will beleive the shortage or hoarding or profiteering will be over when everyone finally gets as much as they want. It is going to be a long time. There is never any ammo anymore to include the 06, 7 Rem mag, 300 WSM that were on the shelves for a long time. There are some reloading componnts from time to time. But for the most part a few guys with 10k limits on credit cards have found they can control the market.

In these weird times, I just don't see it ending. For a long time. get it while you can when the cost is reasonable for you.

Everybody's got their price. For some, it is $125/550 rounds.

When those folks have satisfied themselves, product will stop selling and prices will come down and the next batch of consumers will buy.

This process will continue until equilibrium is achieved.

equilibrium WAS ~$20/550, so aside from current hysteria, that is a legitimate price.

Competition is GOOD! Be patient.

Oh, I have no problem with ammo, Ive got almost 5 full bricks of SK/Wolf/Hansen, and an assortment of other target 22LR from almost 10yrs ago when I was testing my Cooper LVT. Hey, I could sell it on Gunbroker, I do need some money for my next build, hahaha

Gunbroker sellers aren't the sole problem and not every single round being bought is being turned for a profit like this guy would suggest. In fact I'd say 10% or less is being turned for a profit.

Let's take 22 for example as he did. He referenced approximately 1300 active auctions for 22 at the time of his research which was about one million rounds. According to CCI they make 4 million rounds of 22 a day at just ONE of their plants. That doesn't even include the daily production of Remington, Winchester, Federal, Blazer, Eley, Aguila, or CCI's other plants. Let's just say daily production of 22LR for the north American market is 10 million rounds (which I guarantee it's much, much higher than that), that would mean 10% is for sale at any given time on gunbroker. If one CCI plant makes 4 million a day, I'd say the actual daily production of all 22LR is well over 20 million, if 1 million rounds are for sale at any given time on gunbroker, that is 5% or less.

Even if 30% of all 22LR produced was for sale on gunbroker, arms list, and other resale websites, there is still 70% going somewhere.

The real problem is people freaking out and buying up everything. I mean 22LR really? I could almost see people being freaked out about stuff like 223 and 9mm that homeland security scored a major contract deal on (and there actually is almost a shortage in the civilian market) but that's only bring about double it's normal price or a little less. There is absolutely no shortage on 22 production wise yet it is selling for 3-5x it's normal price.

People are fucking stupid and as long as they are stupid, dealers and individuals will take advantage. Others know where to go to get theirs. Besides, if somebody is stupid enough to pay $.20 a round for 22LR, let them. A fool and his money will soon part.

In addition...

I'm not sure how many are aware of the computer geek situation but here is another thing going on. These computer guys, most who have no interest in firearms at all and just want to supplement their income have written computer programs that automatically buy up ammo when it goes in stock at places like palmetto, aim, and cabelas. They actually hack the sites and completely shut them down so others can't buy. They are using gunbroker and fly by night websites to resell this ammo. This presents a major problem to people in areas who don't have large stores fed by big distributors or stores like Gander, Dick's, and Walmart who are their own distributors. They've really got not choice but to pay the prices.

The industry is fucked, no way around it. People can bitch until they're blue in the face and it's not going to do any good. The dealers like CTD and lucky gunner aren't going to lower their prices because they are rolling in the dough because people will pay it. People on gunbroker will continue to sell a little less and make money. It's a vicious circle right now and it's not going to go back to normal until a lot of things change.

Anything is speculation as far as the market returning but in the last few weeks I have noticed A LOT more ammo coming into the major retailer that I shop. Not only is a lot coming in but it's also staying on the shelves longer each week. This week they got about 70 bricks of 22LR that stayed on the shelf for about three hours, two weeks ago they got over 200 bricks and it didn't last an hour. The 9mm they got lasted all day this week. 223 is still somewhat hit or miss though, more has been coming in but nowhere near the rate of 9mm and 22. I believe the end is near but only time will tell.

Last edited:
Just have to know where to look, Palmetto State Armory had .22 for about 10 minutes today, $22.50 per 550 round box. Like others said, you really want the government stepping in and limiting, controlling or worse yet, being the ones to sell to us? Just like cigarettes, soon they will bury hefty taxes in the ammo.
The nice thing about supply and demand is eventually supply catches up, then the guys with millions of rounds get to drop their paints if they want the ammo to move. I doubt .22 LR is on anyones ban list, but I bet ammo companies are more concerned with cranking out rifle and pistol ammo that holds a profit and is needed by governments long before they worry about plinkers.

the guys that are all pissy are just upset that they don't have the means to buy a product and sell it to some dip shit for 3-5x it's real value.

When you nay sayers go to sell your home, car or some other personal item...if someone offers you more than your asking, do you say NO?

just another reason why I reload so I don't need to worry about this shit. ive been able to stock up on 5k small rifle primers, and 5k large rifle primers, 16lb varget, and well over 5k in .308 / .224 bullets in the last couple months at "before shit hit the fan" prices and I'm still able to hit the range and target practice the way I want at low $$..... why pay stupid factory loaded prices, when I can reload 1 @ .223 round for about .29cent per. For one .223 round, it cost me .03 per primer, about .08 per 23gr varget drop, and .18 per bullet = .29cent per round or $5.80 per 20count box comparison when some of these dumb asses are paying damn near $20 per 20round box. If you don't reload, then you're just not serious about shooting IMO. Yes, reloading components are even hard to come by, but if you can't find them online for OK prices, then you're just not looking hard enough. You just need to know where to look.

the guys that are all pissy are just upset that they don't have the means to buy a product and sell it to some dip shit for 3-5x it's real value.

When you nay sayers go to sell your home, car or some other personal item...if someone offers you more than your asking, do you say NO?

To use the home purchase anology it is not quite the same and is much more compilcated to somehow relate it back to ammo buyers but i will try.

Most home buyers are relying on financing to secure the purchase. The financing company (the bank) will not approve the financing if the appraisal doesnt meet the price that was negotiated. Homes or cars are also not commodities that lend themselves as easily to hoarding and are not consumable at least to the extent that ammo is.

Ammo buyers are typically purchasing for hoarding right now and not consumption. I am not attempting to judge the validity of this here. Yes, some are taking advantage of the craze and looking to turn a profit. Yes, if someone is willing to pay more for a item to satisfy a percieved need then I accept that. They are just not a part of the solution to get this market back in balance, they are a part of the problem which is delaying the eventual balancing of the market, hence my discontent. Without the market for a commodity being in balance when I need to purchase a commodity for consumption, I have to either wait for it to balance or pay the high price.

It's hard to blame people for turning a profit on ammo, but it sucks for the ones who use that ammo. Balance will return soon, I am seeing more things in stock and for longer times than just a couple weeks ago. Waiting it out is no fun though.

I'm not sure how many are aware of the computer geek situation but here is another thing going on. These computer guys, most who have no interest in firearms at all and just want to supplement their income have written computer programs that automatically buy up ammo when it goes in stock at places like palmetto, aim, and cabelas. They actually hack the sites and completely shut them down so others can't buy. They are using gunbroker and fly by night websites to resell this ammo.
This exact same thing has been and still is happening in the financial markets industry. Look at stocks for example: Publicly owned/traded companies issue stock in order to raise capital to use to operate/improve/grow their business. Once issued those stocks can be traded on the open market, i.e. purchase an ownership interest in a company, and the value of that stock (the company) depended mainly on the actual financial status of the company and the expectations of it's future success, in combination with the market itself/trends/etc. Enter the computer geeks. Over time electronic trading platforms have been created and become very efficient, and those platforms now allow easier access to the markets and give the ability to make trades faster, more often, and with more timed precision. That's where the computer programs come into play. The programs now track mainly market trends and make trading decisions based on that information, as opposed to making that trade, i.e. purchasing an ownership interest in a company, based on the value of said company. The effect: It gives the computer programmers the ability to make tons of money without having to know anything about the actual companies they're investing in. That's how it's similar to what I quoted above, and indirectly to the ammo "shortage".

Going further down the rabbit hole, it also artificially drives the value of many companies up and down, and if you switch the example and use the bond market, commodities market, etc instead of the stock market, you start to see it effecting the economy. When computer programs start messing with the bond market, it's messing with interest rates. When interest rates get out of whack (that's a financial term), the government feels compelled to intervene by messing with interest rates themselves in an effort to control the supply of money, and when that stops working they just start printing more money, and when that stops working...... You get the idea. The answer to this, of course, is government regulation right? Obviously this isn't a clear cut apples to apples comparison to the ammo shortage, but I can assure you none of us want any additional government regulation of guns or the firearms industry.

So what do we do? We let the market correct itself. It always does. In the meantime we all should just ride it out in the way that works best for our own situation. If you have money to buy ammo at higher prices along with the "need" to have it, then buy away. If you don't have the money to buy it at higher prices, then you'll have to figure something out until a correction occurs. If you do have the money to buy it, but you disagree with what's going on, then don't buy it, and you will effectively be doing your part in the market correction. And as much as I disagree with many of the things said in the video the OP posted, the guy in the video and the OP are doing their part to help correct the market. Ok, it's too late to be getting this philisophical!

Last edited:
I just want a little more bulk stuff as I have a 22 can that'll be here in the next month or two, and want ammo to shoot out of the pistol. I have plenty to last a while for the rifle, just not enough for the pistol, especially as much as my daughter likes to shoot. I've planned daily trips to wal-mart and dicks after I drop the girls off at school and get anything I can. Most of it i'll provide to buddies at whatever I paid for it. I'm not going to be one of those guys putting it on gunbroker for double or 3 times the price.

Branden

Next year at this time you will see people selling ammo at cheap prices, just wanting to get rid of it, saying "I got caught up in the craze". Have patience, and stock your ammo pantry a little better next time. This is the second time I have seen it happen, and I am fairly new to guns.

Supply & Demand, it's a simple matter of mathematics. When Washington starts rumbling about gun control, ammo control, etc, everyone and their brother wakes up and realizes that "Oh hey, I should probably buy some more ammunition", they go to the store and buy what they can afford. For .22 ammo, $100 of spare cash buys a lot of rounds. Now take and do that nationwide, and all of a sudden the supply that used to be more than sufficient is suddenly severely lacking. The manufacturers and suppliers, who are a little more versed in these things than the Fudd in this video, realize that this is a temporary surge and that it would be a BAD business move to greatly expand their production based on this window of time. It's only been 4 months since Newtown, demand is already falling off, parts and ammo/components are SLOWLY trickling back into stock. It will take a while for things to get back to "normal", but it's coming.

Yes, some people are being greedy and are trying to keep the surge going in order to profit from it, but when someone starts an auction on gunbroker at $.01 and it's bid up to a retarded amount, how is that their fault? I at one point in this current surge watched an auction for 100 PMAGs run up to $7500 before it sold. Stupid, yes, but that's how a free market works. When prices go up it makes it harder for everyone to purchase, but it also shores up the supply so that those who truly need the item are able to dig deep and buy it, albeit for a higher amount of capital.

The only coherent thing from the guy in the video is that if you don't have to, don't buy at the inflated prices. Were he prepared, he wouldn't have to buy now either, but instead he chooses to go on youtube and bitch about it, like so many other people who were so woefully unprepared for such a market surge. I can't believe everyone forgot about 2009 already...

-matt

Have you checked the local "Big R" or Co-ops? When I was out in VA, the Rockingham Co. Co-op had .22LR and .17HMR. They also had Hodgdon's H4350 when everyone else was out.

Last edited:
I just want a little more bulk stuff as I have a 22 can that'll be here in the next month or two, and want ammo to shoot out of the pistol. I have plenty to last a while for the rifle, just not enough for the pistol, especially as much as my daughter likes to shoot. I've planned daily trips to wal-mart and dicks after I drop the girls off at school and get anything I can. Most of it i'll provide to buddies at whatever I paid for it. I'm not going to be one of those guys putting it on gunbroker for double or 3 times the price.

Branden

Branden, I'm with you on this. I bought up some components I thought I would shoot up this winter but didn't due to work schedule. Another member here needs some of the same components I have an I'm selling them to him for what I paid for them. I understand the supply an demand market. I remember I got gas the morning of 9/11 at a truck stop off exit 100 on 20/59, on my way home from work the truck stop had raised the price of gas almost 60% in a few hours. I'll push my Ford before I'll buy gas from them again. Yes, you can ask whatever you want for ammo or gas but some folks like me will not walk across the street to piss on your head if it was on fire afterward.

This exact same thing has been and still is happening in the financial markets industry. Look at stocks for example: Publicly owned/traded companies issue stock in order to raise capital to use to operate/improve/grow their business. Once issued those stocks can be traded on the open market, i.e. purchase an ownership interest in a company, and the value of that stock (the company) depended mainly on the actual financial status of the company and the expectations of it's future success, in combination with the market itself/trends/etc. Enter the computer geeks. Over time electronic trading platforms have been created and become very efficient, and those platforms now allow easier access to the markets and give the ability to make trades faster, more often, and with more timed precision. That's where the computer programs come into play. The programs now track mainly market trends and make trading decisions based on that information, as opposed to making that trade, i.e. purchasing an ownership interest in a company, based on the value of said company. The effect: It gives the computer programmers the ability to make tons of money without having to know anything about the actual companies they're investing in. That's how it's similar to what I quoted above, and indirectly to the ammo "shortage".

Going further down the rabbit hole, it also artificially drives the value of many companies up and down, and if you switch the example and use the bond market, commodities market, etc instead of the stock market, you start to see it effecting the economy. When computer programs start messing with the bond market, it's messing with interest rates. When interest rates get out of whack (that's a financial term), the government feels compelled to intervene by messing with interest rates themselves in an effort to control the supply of money, and when that stops working they just start printing more money, and when that stops working...... You get the idea. The answer to this, of course, is government regulation right? Obviously this isn't a clear cut apples to apples comparison to the ammo shortage, but I can assure you none of us want any additional government regulation of guns or the firearms industry.

So what do we do? We let the market correct itself. It always does. In the meantime we all should just ride it out in the way that works best for our own situation. If you have money to buy ammo at higher prices along with the "need" to have it, then buy away. If you don't have the money to buy it at higher prices, then you'll have to figure something out until a correction occurs. If you do have the money to buy it, but you disagree with what's going on, then don't buy it, and you will effectively be doing your part in the market correction. And as much as I disagree with many of the things said in the video the OP posted, the guy in the video and the OP are doing their part to help correct the market. Ok, it's too late to be getting this philisophical!

A friend of mine told me about what's been happening with the stock market as well. Personally I don't pay too much attention to the stock market so I didn't know but he said its the same guys doing it. Apparently they have an Internet forum for this sort of this and one guy doing it posted up pictures of a tractor trailer in front of his house unloading pallets of ammo that he cleaned out for cabelas. He is the reason cabelas put a 1 box limit on most of their stuff which is ridiculous.

It is frustrating for people who actually shoot.....and I don't shoot nearly as much as many of you guys on these boards.
I can usually get to the range once a month. When I go, I typically shoot about 60 to 75 rounds. So I guess I currently shoot around 800 to 1,000 rounds per year. Eventually, I will shoot more.
I got a brand new AI AE Mk III and have no ammo to shoot through it. I've got 400 rounds on order, but I'm guessing it will be another 4 to 6 more weeks before I get it. I was actually ready to get into reloading, but now isn't the best time to be buying any components.

That is the frustrating part for me. I've promised myself that I will NOT pay any price over MSRP for anything right now (a principle thing).

Things will eventually stabilize, but my concern is that these people paying ridiculous prices right now will screw up the future prices of ammo/components.

I guess the bright side is in 2 or 3 years, many of these folks who stocked up on ammo will need some quick cash and the market should be flush with excess ammo......at least I hope so.

If anything, this little ammo situation has taught me a valuable lesson and I will never be caught again without enough ammo to support my hobby.

It is frustrating for people who actually shoot.....and I don't shoot nearly as much as many of you guys on these boards.

If anything, this little ammo situation has taught me a valuable lesson and I will never be caught again without enough ammo to support my hobby.

This, exactly. I learned my lesson four years ago. I squirreled away ammo and primers away for the next three. Not hoarding but enough to shoot for a season. The only thing that sucks is that some companies have raised their prices on ammo, when all the dust clears I doubt the cost will adjust back to where it was before. The "normal" price will be considerably more than an inflationary increase. I will still purchase from the places who did not lose their mind.

This is not our first rodeo gents, this happened four years ago, and you can bet it will happen again in 2016.

Last edited:
As they say, lack of planning on your part..... If you dont have enough ammo to keep you going for a year or so, you cant complain about prices. Sounds like most of the people complaining are the same ones that expect to buy gas at the corner store after a major hurricane.

It isn't a case of right or wrong, free enterprise is right >HOWEVER I do agree in not participating in those ridiculous prices. It is stupid to be duped by the ammo or mag prices and if we don't buy the supply will increase and the prices will drop.

We only have 2 places in town that sell .45 one little gun store and walmart. I cant get any 45 for a couple weeks come to find out one of my good friends is going to walmart every morning buying all the ammo then taking it to the gunshows and selling it for 2-3x the price.

I could almost see people being freaked out about stuff like 223 and 9mm that homeland security scored a major contract deal on (and there actually is almost a shortage in the civilian market) but that's only bring about double it's normal price or a little less. There is absolutely no shortage on 22 production wise yet it is selling for 3-5x it's normal price.

Realize that DHS did not increase their ammunition contract, they just centralized the buying. Where before CBP, Coast Guard, INS, Secret Service, etc all purchased separately, this year, they combined all the requirements into one huge contract. So while it looks like a lot, it is not more than previous years.

And the contact is for the right to buy, not that they actually bought that much.

We only have 2 places in town that sell .45 one little gun store and walmart. I cant get any 45 for a couple weeks come to find out one of my good friends is going to walmart every morning buying all the ammo then taking it to the gunshows and selling it for 2-3x the price.
Your friend is an ass & the people buying from him are idiots, All hail free enterprise!! LOL

It isn't a case of right or wrong, free enterprise is right >HOWEVER I do agree in not participating in those ridiculous prices. It is stupid to be duped by the ammo or mag prices and if we don't buy the supply will increase and the prices will drop.
I agree with this.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean you're not an asshole for doing it.

People who exploit emergency for profit at the expense of others are scum bags and we'd all be better off without them.

Originally Posted by PowerstrokeOBX

Your "friend" needs a black eye....

actually you should buy gas at your local gas station. But if your local gas station owner thinks he can price gouge his local customer base he has canal anal inversion.

As they say, lack of planning on your part..... If you dont have enough ammo to keep you going for a year or so, you cant complain about prices. Sounds like most of the people complaining are the same ones that expect to buy gas at the corner store after a major hurricane.

couldn't agree more. I'm not even selling any ammo currently but I couldn't possibly find any way under the sun to care about anyone who didn't have the foresight to see any of this coming - especially after last October and then AGAIN after December, and now whines like a little kid that they have to pay high prices for the stuff, whether online or the ultimate idiot mart - the local gun show.

Too bad. Stupidity combined with lack of foresight hurts, especially when dealing with mob mentality.

"We only have 2 places in town that sell .45 one little gun store and walmart. I cant get any 45 for a couple weeks come to find out one of my good friends is going to walmart every morning buying all the ammo then taking it to the gunshows and selling it for 2-3x the price."

I inform my local walmart store manager that his employees were selling to friends only and about insider trade law violations get 2-10 years in prison, the next day he called and I was able to by a brick of 22lr.

Insider trading? That's a good one...keep the jokes coming. Guess the manager is a moron and doesn't understand insider trading...

It's a bubble. These commodities are way overvalued. Give it a few months and the bubble will pop.

What a bunch of BS. This is not an emergency. It is an inconvenience. When the prices first went through the roof the going price for an LE6920 was about $2300.00. They are now down to about $1650.00. They will be down to $1200. to $1300. within a few more months. That is about $250. over the pre-Newtown price and will remain there until the manufacturer is able to supply more units than the retailers can sell. At that point, some retailer will drop prices to below MSRP to gain a greater share of the market. Ammo and component prices will follow but more slowly as there is a much larger consumer base for these items then there is for new black rifles.

The responsibility for this aberration in the market is not the result of Newtown or some vast conspiracy of hoarders. It is the result of people in our government who believe none of us have any need or right to possess weapons. Buyers of these goods correctly felt that the Newtown incident could lead to bans, confiscation, increased taxation, etc. regarding these goods. Simply look to the Feinstein bill to be introduced in the Senate and the bills already passed in the states of New York, Connecticut and Colorado. Consider that there is a tip-line being considered in NY which would pay an informer $500.00 for information regarding an individual that does not dispose of, turn in or register certain items. Remember this in 2014 and act accordingly by voting for representatives who will protect our Constitutional rights.

One of our local gun store owners goes to Wal-Mart every thursday morning at 7a.m. and buys what comes in, then sells it at his shop with a considerable mark-up. On the up side he's able to keep his doors open and support his family. I'm just jealous I cant get to Wal-Mart at 7a.m.; and also dont really care for the gunshop in question but it is what it is. I'm hoping all the hysteria dies down soon, and eventually the people with the insane interest rate on thier credit cards from all the hoarding will reach out and decide to part with thier stash at reasonable prices.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean you're not an asshole for doing it.

People who exploit emergency for profit at the expense of others are scum bags and we'd all be better off without them.
The problem clearly lies with the people who pay the prices not with those who ask or sell it. The ones who keep the market up are the one who are buying at stupid prices. I blame them not the seller. It is not an emergency btw to have or buy ammo. If no one pays the price then the market will take care of itself.

One of our local gun store owners goes to Wal-Mart every thursday morning at 7a.m. and buys what comes in, then sells it at his shop with a considerable mark-up. On the up side he's able to keep his doors open and support his family. I'm just jealous I cant get to Wal-Mart at 7a.m.; and also dont really care for the gunshop in question but it is what it is. I'm hoping all the hysteria dies down soon, and eventually the people with the insane interest rate on thier credit cards from all the hoarding will reach out and decide to part with thier stash at reasonable prices.

We have a local shop that does here too. All I can do is shake my head and take my business elsewhere.

What's really screwed up is our 4H smallbore shooters can't find 22lr. I had 5k rds of the 22 US Ball that I bought through the CMP a few years ago and gave half of it to our 4H Program so the kids can practice. I'm all for the free enterprise system but holy shit, get some ammo to the future of our shooting sports!

My local WalMarts will only sell 3 boxes of ammunition at a time.

It at least spreads it out some.

Comparing the current ammo "situation" and needing gas/food/water after a hurricane or other natural disaster is not an apples to apples comparison. I agree that people who take advantage of others during an emergency situation suck as people on a whole. But let's not get the ammo supply confused with an emergency situation and the need for survival items. As someone else stated, this is an inconvenience to us all, but it will pass. I have places where I buy ammo when it becomes available, and even they have increased prices some. The supply and demand curve can be a bitch when you're on the wrong side of the curve.

In addition...

I'm not sure how many are aware of the computer geek situation but here is another thing going on. These computer guys, most who have no interest in firearms at all and just want to supplement their income have written computer programs that automatically buy up ammo when it goes in stock at places like palmetto, aim, and cabelas. They actually hack the sites and completely shut them down so others can't buy. They are using gunbroker and fly by night websites to resell this ammo. This presents a major problem to people in areas who don't have large stores fed by big distributors or stores like Gander, Dick's, and Walmart who are their own distributors. They've really got not choice but to pay the prices.
I'd like to see your source that people are "hacking" MASSIVE corporations like Cabelas and SHUTTING THEM DOWN. It's easy enough to write a program that checks the value of a line of HTML code and buys ammo when the value changes from "out of stock" to "in stock". It's something COMPLETELY different to commit a felony just to make a couple bucks on some .22 ammo. Plus, if you're even capable of shutting down a website of that magnitude by yourself, there's easier and faster ways for you to make money, like stealing credit card numbers with RFID, or making ATMs spew out money.

I haven't heard about them actually hacking sites and shutting them down, but they are writing programs that instantly buy ammo when it comes available, and not only that, but also go around the limit set by Cabela's or whomever.

This, exactly. I learned my lesson four years ago. I squirreled away ammo and primers away for the next three. Not hoarding but enough to shoot for a season. The only thing that sucks is that some companies have raised their prices on ammo, when all the dust clears I doubt the cost will adjust back to where it was before. The "normal" price will be considerably more than an inflationary increase. I will still purchase from the places who did not lose their mind.

This is not our first rodeo gents, this happened four years ago, and you can bet it will happen again in 2016.

I was told the same thing last time, and the prices came right back down to where they used to be. There is no conspiracy, only a free market. It will only happen in 2016 if there is more talk of gun and ammo control, this is pretty simple stuff to understand.

-matt

The only real problem I see with this entire ammo grab that's going on is that I don't have the sufficient funds to seriously take advantage of the dumb fucks that are willing to pay 3x retail. Sure wish I had about 10-20K to really screw over some morons...the extra money I would make could pay for a Hawaii vacation for family and friends.