• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

This is why our nation is falling apart...

Sportin Wood

Team Hardwood
Minuteman
  • Jul 17, 2010
    The Woods, WA
    <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rBsWYcWwpr4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rBsWYcWwpr4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

UpBAhHt.png

Re: This is why our nation is falling apart...

Maser, if you think that their lifestyle is so corny, I suggest you buy yourself a rabbit hutch and dig up part of your yard and plant some food crops in whatever space you have. You wouldn't want to lack the courage of your convictions, would you?

heyo im in there, /rep.

on a side note he prob never planted something in his life, i liked the tone of it tbh gave it a john E cash kinda feel

Yeah, maybe to this generation. Is that what this spoiled ass, smart assed, entitled, whiney bitch, generation calls corny? I like corny stuff I guess. Like this song.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jV3qahyLfQQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jV3qahyLfQQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I can't wait till about 3/4ths of you little fuckers are starving or eating each other. I say 3/4ths cause I figure only about a fourth of you have had a decent upbringing and can even attempt to respect decency when you see it. So many of you are enamored with smut and filth you don't know what to make of stuff like this. Hittin close to home yet?

that was my Grandpa i miss him R.I.P<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sportin' wood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rBsWYcWwpr4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rBsWYcWwpr4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

UpBAhHt.png

</div></div>

^ i think it's because most have been raised with a silver spoon in their mouth. Not many had to go out in the fields on their weekends from school to help the granparents herd pig and cattle, or to spend hours bent over picking and shelling peas while both their parent were in jail, or not knowing what its like to have a the newest iphone.

hell i had a great upbringing now that i look back, i hated it as a kid, not getting that new toy, or not getting our own computer, but now that i look back before my granpa died, he made sure everyone of his kids and grankids had a land plot when they got older, and how to self-sustain themselves off the land, and not rely on other people to survive.

still to this day i keep a garden outback, and freezer back corn, assortment of garden peas, snaps, and tomatoes.

I disagree with a fair bit of what Paul Harvey said in his life, but that was damn good, and nobody narrates like him.

So why is this ad why America is falling apart?
    Maybe I missed something, I thought it was pretty damn good.
    I could make a helluva long list of reasons why we're falling apart other than this commercial.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WYcoyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So why is this ad why America is falling apart?
    Maybe I missed something, I thought it was pretty damn good.
    I could make a helluva long list of reasons why we're falling apart other than this commercial. </div></div>

wood was replying to the guy in the shoutbox known as maser

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, maybe to this generation. Is that what this spoiled ass, smart assed, entitled, whiney bitch, generation calls corny? I like corny stuff I guess. Like this song.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jV3qahyLfQQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jV3qahyLfQQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I can't wait till about 3/4ths of you little fuckers are starving or eating each other. I say 3/4ths cause I figure only about a fourth of you have had a decent upbringing and can even attempt to respect decency when you see it. So many of you are enamored with smut and filth you don't know what to make of stuff like this. Hittin close to home yet?
    </div></div>

Sir i, being a part of this unfortunate generation, hope to convince you that there are still a lot of good ones left. Are we outnumbered? Well hell yeah. Is there anything we can do about it? Not that I am currently aware, but I am all ears. Having said that I am embarrassed being a young man in this country now, where not all that long ago I was unspeakably proud, now being categorized with a majority of young Americans who's views I stand decidedly against. I can hope and pray this country will be as good as it once was, however, I can say with some certainty that that hope has all but vaporized.

His title was in regards to numnuts Maser's comments about farming/ranching not being a big deal. In other words those city kids that have no idea what dedication, ambition, pride and fortitude it takes to be a lifelong farmer/rancher and think their flippin milk and cereal come from the grocery store.

I myself don't quite remember it like that. Started driving the 54 GMC @ 6 to help Dad move machinery etc. Started working fallow on the 3020 with no cab when I was 10, running the ol Super 92 combine when I was 12. Riding the dump rake to trip it 6-8hrs a day trading off with my twin brother when we were 10. Tied ourselves to the seat with a rope so dad didn't have to worry about us getting more stupid if he stopped too short when the mower plugged up on a mole hill etc and we went airborne and bounced off the mower .lol

Lets see, twin brother and I milked 4 cows morning and night starting about 12. Helped raise 100 chicks for fried chicks in the winter and replace some of the 50-60 laying hens that retired from egg making and became the contents of a Mason jar for soup in the winter! All 3 of us boys at times riding the bale sled when we were 12 to 13 cause it took all of us to get a pile of 12 millet bales off. Picked tater bugs off of enough plants to yield about 200# of spuds. Hoeing weeds from the garden and about 1/2 acre of sweet corn. Sometimes Dad would buy a dozen or so bum lambs for us kids to bottle feed for grocery money during the winter or 12-15 weiner pigs to feed some of the cow milk to and get some pork and extra cash. Until we were 12 we lived off of 400 acres of deeded and 680 of leased so there wasn't much money. Mother went back to teaching every year when I and twin were 6, older brother 7 and Sis was 3. Dad took care of us rugrats getting us to a different country school than mother taught at during the school year.
    Then after 6th grade we went from a 2 mile drive to 7mile for 1yr for school and 18 miles in the 8th grade through HS.

Feeding about 60 head of stocks cows, fencing, stacking/stomping hay in the hay cage, stacking square bales.

Mid Jan of 69 Dad went 230 miles away to VA hospital for hemroid issues he got from riding the trains transporting prisoners etc in Germany, Austria and France and living on C Rats and little water. Guess the strain from constant constipation cause a couple blowouts on his 'pucker ring'. We had just finished moving the day before to where my folks still live and the lifting etc was the final straw I guess. Was gone for about 5 wks. I was 13 and ran the Super M feeding cows during that time and had to start about 6 so we could make it to school the 18 miles on gravel and bad roads that time of yr. Mother was a school teach for 35yrs so her schedule didn't have much vacation time in it, especially the 6 or 7 summers she went to summer school to finish and get her Masters degree!!!

What 'fun times' we had started about 12ish when in the winter Dad what let ONE of us go only with his Rem 512 to hunt rabbits. Would walk sometimes 5-6 miles along the creeks etc looking for a damn jack that would fetch 40 cents, a fox $5. Alot of walking and then if you were lucky to get a bunny a damn long way dragging him home with a piece of twine if you were smart enough to put one in your pocket prior or other wise one heavy assed jack after toting his dead ass several miles when you are 70# soaking wet. Real summer rec was getting to drive 8 miles and large mouth bass fish the neighbors damn with a couple of neighbor kids if we got all our work done and still had several hrs of daylight. Some pdog shooting when we were about 13 as there were 3-4 small towns within 6 miles. 22 only and back then 50yds was a super long shot. Damn I miss them dog huntin days and the taste of the largemouth!

Yea, it wasn't too hard, actually for us was just 'another day on the farm'!!!! Damn few 'yutes' could/would do it now I'll bet!

Gettin old and forgetfull, had to edit some things. Didn't have the 100 cows until a yr or so after we moved in 69.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">His title was in regards to numnuts Maser's comments about farming/ranching not being a big deal. In other words those city kids that have no idea what dedication, ambition, pride and fortitude it takes to be a lifelong farmer/rancher and think their flippin milk and cereal come from the grocery store.

I myself don't quite remember it like that. Started driving the 54 GMC @ 6 to help Dad move machinery etc. Started working fallow on the 3020 with no cab when I was 10, running the ol Super 92 combine when I was 12. Riding the dump rake to trip it 6-8hrs a day trading off with my twin brother when we were 10. Tied ourselves to the seat with a rope so dad didn't have to worry about us getting more stupid if he stopped too short when the mower plugged up on a mole hill etc and we went airborne and bounced off the mower .lol

Lets see, twin brother and I milked 4 cows morning and night starting about 12. Helped raise 100 chicks for fried chicks in the winter and replace some of the 50-60 laying hens that retired from egg making and became the contents of a Mason jar for soup in the winter! All 3 of us boys at times riding the bale sled when we were 12 to 13 cause it took all of us to get a pile of 12 millet bales off. Picked tater bugs off of enough plants to yield about 200# of spuds. Hoeing weeds from the garden and about 1/2 acre of sweet corn.

Then after 5th grade we went from a 2 mile drive to 7mile for 1yr for school and 18 miles in the 8th grade through HS. Feeding about 100 head of stocks cows, fencing, stacking/stomping hay in the hay cage, stacking square bales.

Mid Jan of 69 Dad went 230 miles away to VA hospital for hemroid issues he got from riding the trains transporting prisoners etc in Germany, Austria and France and living on C Rats and little water. Guess the strain from constant constipation cause a couple blowouts on his 'pucker ring'. Was gone for about 5 wks. I was 13 and ran the Super M feeding cows during that time and had to start about 6 so we could make it to school the 18 miles on gravel and bad roads that time of yr. Mother was a school teach for 35yrs so her schedule didn't have much vacation time in it, especially the 6 or 7 summers she went to summer school to finish and get her Masters degree!!!

Yea, it wasn't too hard, actually for us was just 'another day on the farm'!!!! </div></div>

And I believe you are at least a part of the grout that formed the foundation of this country making it such a fabulous and uncomparable place to live to this day. I find inspiration in your post sir and I will try to live up to the standard your generation set fourth.

WYcoyote, I think he meant Maser's comment about the commercial being corny. Only thing I'd change about the commercial it the fact its a Dodge. Sorry Mopar-lovers, I'd take a GMC/Chevy 3500HD.

Back on the topic...I think anyone born after 86-88ish, raised in suburban or metropolitan areas, really lack the understanding of how much effort is put into farms and ranches. Aside from those who are born into that kind of family, the only time someone hears about it is at school, in the movies or TV. God forbid a child learns that there are still people out there that actually bust their asses for what they have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crapshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Sir i, being a part of this unfortunate generation, hope to convince you that there are still a lot of good ones left. Are we outnumbered? Well hell yeah. Is there anything we can do about it? Not that I am currently aware, but I am all ears. Having said that I am embarrassed being a young man in this country now, where not all that long ago I was unspeakably proud, now being categorized with a majority of young Americans who's views I stand decidedly against. I can hope and pray this country will be as good as it once was, however, I can say with some certainty that that hope has all but vaporized. </div></div>

I allowed that there was a "remnant" among your generation who still respect the values on which this country was founded. If the shoe fits wear it, but I meant no disrespect to those of whom I wasn't speaking.
    I have met lots of good kids today, but if I had to count I would say 25 out of 100 that I have met weren't caught up in the whirlpool of crap in our society, hell many in my extended family are in that 3/4ths I was speaking about.
    Kids like you and the rest of those 25 out of 100 give me hope so keep up the good fight.

You are wrong that there is nothing you can do. You can stand on the principles that your parents have instilled in you. You can stand up and be heard and get involved so that your voice WILL be heard. If I make it to retirement in a few years, you son, and your peers will be running this country. Continue to honor and respect your elders and be an example to those around you. Oh there is most definitely things for you to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crapshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, maybe to this generation. Is that what this spoiled ass, smart assed, entitled, whiney bitch, generation calls corny? I like corny stuff I guess. Like this song.

</div></div>

Sir<span style="color: #FF0000"> i, being a part of this unfortunate generation,</span> hope to convince you that there are still a lot of good ones left. Are we outnumbered? Well hell yeah. Is there anything we can do about it? Not that I am currently aware, but I am all ears. Having said that I am embarrassed being a young man in this country now, where not all that long ago I was unspeakably proud, now being categorized with a majority of young Americans who's views I stand decidedly against. I can hope and pray this country will be as good as it once was, however, I can say with some certainty that that hope has all but vaporized. </div></div>

Me too. Kids from our generation (most of them) bitch if they don't get their way or if mommy and daddy want them to do something around the house and don't pay them. It gets irritating real quick. I've grown up on a farm and worked for every gun/optics/ammo that I have. Long days in the sunshine and rain for minimum wage. The only good thing I see coming out of this lazy generation, is the few pipe hitters being in charge in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Back on the topic...I think anyone born after 86-88ish, raised in suburban or metropolitan areas, really lack the understanding of how much effort is put into farms and ranches. Aside from those who are born into that kind of family, the only time someone hears about it is at school, in the movies or TV. God forbid a child learns that there are still people out there that actually bust their asses for what they have.

</div></div>

Being one of those, I have to agree. Both of my parents worked office jobs, but I was lucky enough to be babysat in the summers by a farmers wife. As one of the only boys there I spent my days with the farmers son, a few years my senior. I was lucky that I got to help him with his chores and learn a few things. I looked forward to when I was old enough to help bale hay and go into the hay loft.

Was there a little Tom Sawyer in there? You bet. And I gladly sucked it up.

As an adult, my retirement dream is to buy and old farmhouse with a barn and small plot. I would be 100% over my head with it, but I respect the farmers of our country and what they do to sustain life for us. I would consider myself lucky to be a part of it.

That commercial made me think of those times as a child and invoked a little fear in my retirement dream.

Thanks farmers, ranchers, and everyone that lends a hand.

I grew up raising cattle..... I hated it and thought it sucked. So now I live 5 hours away from the farm, in some tourist rich folk snooty ass town. Everytime I get more than 3 days off I take my little girl up to the farm and let her get a taste of the good life.

If I get my feet back into another one of these dickweed infested countries Im selling that damn house and buying a small farm.

Theres nothing like being out in the middle of nowhere fixing fence or pulling calves in the middle of the night.

I'm a city slicker and I have to admit that when I was a young shit for brains I probably had the same opinion as maser. However, I've matured a ton in the last 5 years and have come full circle. One reason is some significant loses in my life as well as some amazing blessings, another is bearing witness to what some tougher than nails Americans do as a living. Long story short, my best friend and I hunt a property of a farmer about 1 hour outside of PGH. We like to get to our spots about an hour before sun breaks the horizon. When we pull up on Bernie's property at 4:30am he's already out and about. Before we finish our ~1 mile walk to the back of the propert we can hear the tractor. When we come out of the woods for luch, he's still on a piece of equipment. When we come out of the woods after dark, he's still on the piece of equipment. We've been there at night to spot the fields, he's still working. I'd guess he puts in 14-16 a day. More of a man than I'll ever be. God bless him and the rest of the farmers. For the people that don't admire that type of work ethic and perserverance.......I just don't understand.

I thought that the Ram ad was the best of the night - it really seemed to be about more than just shilling a product. There are a lot of self-centered jerks who thinks that they are magically entitled to the fruits of others' labor, or who simply who don't realize that food just doesn't magically appear on the shelves of grocery stores. If we only have a few of these people among our members, then we should consider ourselves fortunate.

As the saying goes - the only way to create value is mining it, making it, or growing it. Anything else is just getting in the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only thing I'd change about the commercial it the fact its a Dodge. Sorry Mopar-lovers, I'd take a GMC/Chevy 3500HD.</div></div>

'Round these parts, most working men drive something with a solid front axle. The GM trucks are considered fine for towing, just so long as the job doesn't require leaving the pavement. As a former owner of a GMC K2500 and as a guy who used to bleed bowties, this reality pains me, but that's the way things are.

I spent some time checked out the new Ram HD trucks at the Detroit auto show industry preview day, and they are substantially improved over the previous trucks to the point where I will be looking at them very seriously when it's time to decommission my Super Duty.

I work in the oilfield to pay for my farming. Grandad did it, dad does it. My dad and grandad are the 2 most hardworking people I've ever met. The commercial made me proud of who I am and the hard work my family has put in to make me the man I am today. I truly feel sorry for the people that think the commercial was corny.

Farmers and Ranchers around here all hate each other. Farmers get millions in subsidies every year, buying the years newest multi million dollar equipment every year.

While Ranchers don't get much in the way in subsidies, and milking cows has not been a profitable business in years.

Much if not all of my practice was taking care of Ranchers, their support people, and families. In a discussion once, over a barbed wire fence, while we were clearing brush from both sides, my friend and I were talking about the apparent disconnect between the rural parts of America and the big cities.

He said "We can do a lot better without them, than they would ever do without us..."

I've got both farmers and ranchers in my family. Never met a humble'r folk. That being said, never met folk who complain less, either.

They just do what needs being done, and considering some of my earliest memories of childhood are from being on the fields and lands, that there is 'home' to me. I know what it takes to grow food, and harvest it, and package it up. That particular hereford out there ain't "daisy", that there's winter grub.

Now in my view, anyone who don't appreciate that life, let alone that diligence, is less of a human to me. There ain't no coming back from disrespect, and very little return from ignorance.

"ignore" has been working for me, for a few years now.

Started on the Farmall 140 and riding on the setter as a little boy. Enjoyed tobacco farming but it is what made me push on through college. It's a hard life and you have to be a big time operation now to make a good living. I live rural and my business is in a small town. I place high value on people with farming in their background when I am hiring. They are better employees and harder workers that understand the value of a job well done. The life sticks with you...even now with a differnet career as an adult I still have cattle and do some small time farming.

Maser,
    you skinny little bit**, say that to my face and I'll pound your ass into the dirt, the same way I do fence posts... there are TWO things that created this nation, GOD and the FARMER! so the next time you sit your boney ass on the computer, with your bowl of lucky charms, ask yourself where it came from... and I'll be the one to tell you, how to plant your rows, how deep to plant it, how many seeds per acre to plant on dry land vs irrigated, what variety will get you the highest yield, the amount of starter you need, and how much N. you need to pump through the pivot, to get you 200+ bu/acre... one day out here with me son, your brain would explode, and your body would fall apart... don't discredit us, or what we do by saying it's corny... cause without our kind, your sorry ass wouldn't be here... someday you "city folk" will figure that out when your supply is no longer abundant, and you think your food is grown in the store... you people will eat each other.

I liked the ad, I thought it was well delivered, the photography was stunning and the narration totally engrossing. It had the benefit of being true as well in how hard many farmers work.

I don't think Maser was belittling farmers, he just didn't dig the ad or enjoy working on the farm...

I spent many summers on a horse farm back in England. Mucking, grooming, baling etc. It's not easy work and to be honest, it's not what I'd want as the sole means of supporting my family but anyone who does choose it and can make it work has my respect. Like many things, it takes a special breed but the farmer today wouldn't be what he is without skinney nerds in labs or engineering school coming up with better means and methods of farming. Like nature itself, it's all symbiotic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Like many things, it takes a special breed but the farmer today wouldn't be what he is without skinney nerds in labs or engineering school coming up with better means and methods of farming. Like nature itself, it's all symbiotic. </div></div>

don't kid yourself, it's not them coming up with better "means" of farming, sure there are those making hybrids, inclined to better performance in drought conditions or herbicide resistance... but they are digging their own graves, any modified organism does not yield once the fruit of that plant is replanted, take away Monsanto, it's YOU who starve, not us. We KNOW how to live off the land regardless some skinny little nerd saying this or that... would you be a sponsor here without the internet? Technology is what it is... and it helps everyone to an extent.

I loved the add.

I milked holsteins at 5 am for 1/4 of my life.

Great memories and even more respect for those that did the same.

You can take the boy outta the country but............

PS I didnt take Mausers opinion either way. Just cause he didnt enjoy faraming or the add did not deminish the fact that I did. Pickin rocks, makin hay, blowing silage, feeding moos was all a tapestry of fond memories.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">His title was in regards to numnuts Maser's comments about farming/ranching not being a big deal. In other words those city kids that have no idea what dedication, ambition, pride and fortitude it takes to be a lifelong farmer/rancher and think their flippin milk and cereal come from the grocery store.

Lets see, twin brother and I milked 4 cows morning and night starting about 12. Helped raise 100 chicks for fried chicks in the winter and replace some of the 50-60 laying hens that retired from egg making and became the contents of a Mason jar for soup in the winter! All 3 of us boys at times riding the bale sled when we were 12 to 13 cause it took all of us to get a pile of 12 millet bales off. Picked tater bugs off of enough plants to yield about 200# of spuds. Hoeing weeds from the garden and about 1/2 acre of sweet corn. Sometimes Dad would buy a dozen or so bum lambs for us kids to bottle feed for grocery money during the winter or 12-15 weiner pigs to feed some of the cow milk to and get some pork and extra cash. Until we were 12 we lived off of 400 acres of deeded and 680 of leased so there wasn't much money. Mother went back to teaching every year when I and twin were 6, older brother 7 and Sis was 3. Dad took care of us rugrats getting us to a different country school than mother taught at during the school year.
    Then after 6th grade we went from a 2 mile drive to 7mile for 1yr for school and 18 miles in the 8th grade through HS.

Feeding about 60 head of stocks cows, fencing, stacking/stomping hay in the hay cage, stacking square bales.

Mid Jan of 69 Dad went 230 miles away to VA hospital for hemroid issues he got from riding the trains transporting prisoners etc in Germany, Austria and France and living on C Rats and little water. Guess the strain from constant constipation cause a couple blowouts on his 'pucker ring'. We had just finished moving the day before to where my folks still live and the lifting etc was the final straw I guess. Was gone for about 5 wks. I was 13 and ran the Super M feeding cows during that time and had to start about 6 so we could make it to school the 18 miles on gravel and bad roads that time of yr. Mother was a school teach for 35yrs so her schedule didn't have much vacation time in it, especially the 6 or 7 summers she went to summer school to finish and get her Masters degree!!!

What 'fun times' we had started about 12ish when in the winter Dad what let ONE of us go only with his Rem 512 to hunt rabbits. Would walk sometimes 5-6 miles along the creeks etc looking for a damn jack that would fetch 40 cents, a fox $5. Alot of walking and then if you were lucky to get a bunny a damn long way dragging him home with a piece of twine if you were smart enough to put one in your pocket prior or other wise one heavy assed jack after toting his dead ass several miles when you are 70# soaking wet. Real summer rec was getting to drive 8 miles and large mouth bass fish the neighbors damn with a couple of neighbor kids if we got all our work done and still had several hrs of daylight. Some pdog shooting when we were about 13 as there were 3-4 small towns within 6 miles. 22 only and back then 50yds was a super long shot. Damn I miss them dog huntin days and the taste of the largemouth!

Yea, it wasn't too hard, actually for us was just 'another day on the farm'!!!! Damn few 'yutes' could/would do it now I'll bet!

Gettin old and forgetfull, had to edit some things. Didn't have the 100 cows until a yr or so after we moved in 69. </div></div>

How did go from this to preferring to wait in a welfare line rather than working.

The voice of maser there is but one in a cacophony of whining I have heard for years, but one which is understandable if you have no concept of the work:profit ratio that is farming. I worked two dairies through college. The university dairy every day and a private dairy on the weekends. Milking would start around 0200 at the university dairy, last till 0500 and then to the other one by 0600, done at 0900, then back to the university by 1300 to do it again.

I personally loved the Farmer commercial, I thought it was the bast one and the best part of the game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Riding the dump rake to trip it 6-8hrs a day trading off with my twin brother when we were 10. Tied ourselves to the seat with a rope so dad didn't have to worry about us getting more stupid if he stopped too short when the mower plugged up on a mole hill etc and we went airborne and bounced off the mower .lol

</div></div>

Hahaha, this sounds so familiar. But I was spoiled and made 3$/hr.
    My parents were worried I'd lose my hat and try to catch it before it went through the rake.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CnraS-RD1Fc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CnraS-RD1Fc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Too soon?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Like many things, it takes a special breed but the farmer today wouldn't be what he is without skinney nerds in labs or engineering school coming up with better means and methods of farming. Like nature itself, it's all symbiotic. </div></div>

don't kid yourself, it's not them coming up with better "means" of farming, sure there are those making hybrids, inclined to better performance in drought conditions or herbicide resistance... but they are digging their own graves, any modified organism does not yield once the fruit of that plant is replanted, take away Monsanto, it's YOU who starve, not us. We KNOW how to live off the land regardless some skinny little nerd saying this or that... would you be a sponsor here without the internet? Technology is what it is... and it helps everyone to an extent. </div></div>

Skinney - you'll have to go far and wide to find someone who dislikes Monsanto as much as me. I'm not the type to starve either so hold off on the 'I'm better than thou'. I was simply pointing out a firm fact - there is more to almost anything then just one component.

I just watched it, worked thru SB & did not catch any commercials. Usually I'm better off without them, but this one is pretty powerful, at least to those in the know.
    Everybody is welcome to opine their views, and you are welcome to flame them with all your energy, but the ones that don't get this commercial simply suffer from a world of severe specialization(and severe ignorance). It's become so lucrative to find something you can do well or sell easily. To move that product our people have moved closer to urban areas, labor laws have "protected" workers, today's workers have no idea what work really is. Still good people, but severely ignorant. Most of the posts here just make me want to bid to some of the poster's LOC. Keep them coming I'm lovin' this thread. Gotta watch that commercial again...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: korykhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My comment was directed at those that choose not to work. </div></div>

Sir, I apologize. First I thought it was in reference to my past as I used to have in my personal info I was disabled. After posting I went out to prep some brass and got to thinking about what you said and thought perhaps I didn't comprehend your intentions correctly. I then came in and washed my hands and to delete my post because what I thought you said/meant might have been a brain fart on my behalf.

Again, I apologize for being the dick!

Respectfully,
    Dennis

Commercial reminds me of my father in law. He does more than what he suppose to and never complains. I like the part where the family is praying at the table. Good family values. Not much of those theses days.

Table? What's that? You mean couch or recliner?...Watching Honey Boo Boo is as close to country life as most folks will get these days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontknowdip</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Table? What's that? You mean couch or recliner?...Watching Honey Boo Boo is as close to country life as most folks will get these days.</div></div>

And honey boo boo is a FAR stretch to what real life in the country really is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crapshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, maybe to this generation. Is that what this spoiled ass, smart assed, entitled, whiney bitch, generation calls corny? I like corny stuff I guess. Like this song.

</div></div>

Sir<span style="color: #FF0000"> i, being a part of this unfortunate generation,</span> hope to convince you that there are still a lot of good ones left. Are we outnumbered? Well hell yeah. Is there anything we can do about it? Not that I am currently aware, but I am all ears. Having said that I am embarrassed being a young man in this country now, where not all that long ago I was unspeakably proud, now being categorized with a majority of young Americans who's views I stand decidedly against. I can hope and pray this country will be as good as it once was, however, I can say with some certainty that that hope has all but vaporized. </div></div>

Me too. Kids from our generation (most of them) bitch if they don't get their way or if mommy and daddy want them to do something around the house and don't pay them. It gets irritating real quick. I've grown up on a farm and worked for every gun/optics/ammo that I have. Long days in the sunshine and rain for minimum wage. The only good thing I see coming out of this lazy generation, is the few pipe hitters being in charge in the future. </div></div>

Also being apart of this generation, I completely agree. I grew up on a farm, with my grandpa, dad, and 3 uncles all farming. With my younger brother starting to take over for my dad, I recently moved from home in MN to NC to pursue my dream job and am having a hard time associating with my friends here because of their "city raised" mentality. Numerous times we get into "arguments" about city/rural lifestyles. Eventually someone will say "It's ok, he doesn't know any better" as if I'm the one at a disadvantage because of my background and upbringing. All I can do I shake my head and realize that I am sitting better off because of it.

On the other side, I also know people that I went to school with in H.S. that have become corrupt from living in the city too. Not everyone can remain humble and "true to their roots". Thankfully, I work with a "good ole boy from Tennessee" and he and I keep each other sane in this crazy world.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luna</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that was my Grandpa i miss him R.I.P

</div></div>

Ditto, they dont make em like they used to.

Since I was 8 years old I spent 1 or 2 saturdays a month on the farm. Sometimes I got to dick around and with a 22 in the woods, but more times than not I was recruited into helping keep up the dilapidated farm. Learned how to drive tractors, combines. Learned how to repair things, weld, repair fence, feed cattle, bail hay, ect. I have alot of respect for that lifestlye. Part of me wants to take over the farm now that my grandfather is gone and my uncle is getting too old to keep it up. But I also inherited a passion for creation and design from my grandfather and I will probably follow in the footsteps of my dad and pursue a job in engineering/design.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NorthernTundra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I recently moved from home in MN to NC to pursue my dream job and am having a hard time associating with my friends here because of their "city raised" mentality. </div></div>

I completely understand if you live/work in winston. Further you get out of there the better it gets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I completely understand if you live/work in winston. Further you get out of there the better it gets. </div></div>

These guys are all transplants as well... from CPR, New Jersey, and Colorado. I never had a chance.
    crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Skinney - you'll have to go far and wide to find someone who dislikes Monsanto as much as me. I'm not the type to starve either so hold off on the 'I'm better than thou'. I was simply pointing out a firm fact - there is more to almost anything then just one component.

</div></div>

there is no "better than thou" in this industry... FACT is, technology changes, it advances, and with out it, I would still be who I am and DO what I do, plowing fields growing corn, putting up hay for 500hd of cattle, sure maybe without GreenStar, autotrack, or monitoring my irrigation progress with my cell phone, but don't try n downplay my words or what I do, by trying to make it sound like we wouldn't be what or who we are, because a little labrat is making it better or easier for us... the only thing they are making it easier for, is for YOU to get more food, by increasing our yield with GMO's... trust me, YOU and the world need em much more than we... like I said, I DON'T need autotrack, take away ALL the GMO's, I don't need to feed my cattle mineral that prevents horn flies from breeding, I can get by without all of that... can you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there is no "better than thou" in this industry... FACT is, technology changes, it advances, and with out it, I would still be who I am and DO what I do, plowing fields growing corn, putting up hay for 500hd of cattle, sure maybe without GreenStar, autotrack, or monitoring my irrigation progress with my cell phone, but don't try n downplay my words or what I do, by trying to make it sound like we wouldn't be what or who we are, because a little labrat is making it better or easier for us... the only thing they are making it easier for, is for YOU to get more food, by increasing our yield with GMO's... trust me, YOU and the world need em much more than we... like I said, I DON'T need autotrack, take away ALL the GMO's, I don't need to feed my cattle mineral that prevents horn flies from breeding, I can get by without all of that... can you?</div></div>

^^+1.

My dad has said it time and again, we've spent years just scraping by, running what we had until it was too broke to fix. All this technology is nice, but if something happens and none of this stuff works anymore (say an EMP), we'll revert back to the ways of old and persevere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NorthernTundra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I completely understand if you live/work in winston. Further you get out of there the better it gets. </div></div>

These guys are all transplants as well... from CPR, New Jersey, and Colorado. I never had a chance.
    crazy.gif
    </div></div>

Go live towards Stokes Co. or south towards Denton, Davidson Co. both will satisfy your need for country and be an easy commute. Outside any city here are good conservative country people...not always so in the urban ceters even though they are not big cities.