• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Thoughts an FN SPR rifles?

LongCut

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2009
Akron Ohio
I am looking for a new bolt gun in .308. I am leaning towards an FN SPR A1 or A1A. I have handled the rifle, and love the feel. I am not a stranger to bolt guns, as I've been using them to wack deer with for years. This will be my first "precision rifle" and am wondering what the general concensus is of this particular gun. I have an oportunity to pick one up at a severly discounted rate, hence the interest in this rifle. Thanks.

Re: Thoughts an FN SPR rifles?

I too am looking at them. Impact guns has a few of them on the walls of the store.

but at 2K and some change, im still not convinced its worth it

Zero complaints with mine (SPR-A4) It have been a shooter out of the box with zero issues except finding spare mags. The only thing I wish I could change is to make it cheaper!

We just has a question a couple weeks ago like this. It ended up with some pics of some nice rifles. You might find it if you try.
They usually get a thumbs up here.

I've been using one for 4 or more years now.....one of the best investments I have ever made. I have complete confidence in the rifle.

DSC_0012.jpg

Thanks guys. I'm looking at about $300 out of pocket, so I quess I can't go wrong. Now to decide on optics.............

That sounds like you are trading for it so I cannot say if it's a good deal

The ones I have seen on the range have been good shooters.

Very sweet guns.

I bought a new SPR A1 from sawguns.com for $1500 early this year. That's not that much considering the stock it comes with.

Had it chopped to 18" and threaded. Mine is absurdly accurate with 168s. With Varget or RL-15 I can get 0.30" groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opeagle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That sounds like you are trading for it so I cannot say if it's a good deal

The ones I have seen on the range have been good shooters. </div></div>

-Not trading anything. I did well in a recent competition and won a gift cert. for FN, so with LEO pricing I should be looking at about $300 out of pocket for the rifle.

With only $300 out of pocket, it shouldn't take to long to make that decision. You buy it for $300 then I'll buy it from you for $750 and we will both come out ok. Cash in your pocket and a rifle for a good price for me!!! No really, sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongCut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opeagle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That sounds like you are trading for it so I cannot say if it's a good deal

The ones I have seen on the range have been good shooters. </div></div>

-Not trading anything. I did well in a recent competition and won a gift cert. for FN, so with LEO pricing I should be looking at about $300 out of pocket for the rifle. </div></div>

Sounds like a good plan. I have both the 308 and 300wsm 24" models and they both shoot great. The only thing I dont care for is the factory dbm on my 308 but you can always change that out with a cdi with a little work if your so inclined. Also, if I had it to do over again I would get the 20" 308, better balance.

My thoughts here are free so feel free to do as wanted.

For 300 you cannot go wrong and I would agree the compact 20 inch is an excellent way to go from Wheaties have seen.

I just worked a deal on a rifle it was that SPR or the IBA that I just got with USO optics! I still may get one yet since I have a FNH armory in the closet as it is!

Great rifles. I have an A5M with a 20"bbl and have been in love ever since I first took it to the range. Solid as a rock and built with tons of added options like 5 flush cups and a scope base. Some folks say "the chrome barrels just aren't as accurate," but FN seems to have figured something out with that because mine was posting 3/4MOA out of the box and with a little help from Mark at Short Action Customs those holes are shrinking quickly.