• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Thoughts on bedding a heavy contour barrel.

el gordo2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
San Antonio, Tejas
I have a project that involves a Mc Millan A-5 and a 30" Krieger 1.250" straight tube. The action is a single shot 40X so I am thinking using pillars, bedding from tang to chamber and then maybe an inch and a half or so in front of the lug. My thoughts are giving the barrel a little more support. The barrel is just over 10 lbs.

Any suggestions,pros or cons?

Re: Thoughts on bedding a heavy contour barrel.

I have a 223 Rem 700 with a 22" 1.250 straight barrel . I bedded the action and 5" forward of the lug.

When using a truck axle, I ALWAYS bed an inch or so in front of the lug. Don't look back. You will get lots of opinions, and now you have mine. Any questions, pm me. Happy Bedding

On my M40 contour i bedded the first 1.25 inches. Shoots well for me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X Ring Accuracy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When using a truck axle, I ALWAYS bed an inch or so in front of the lug. Don't look back. You will get lots of opinions, and now you have mine. Any questions, pm me. Happy Bedding </div></div>

Same here.

I built one with a PacNor 26" x 1 1/4 ST to 1 ", bedded 1 1/2" in front of lug. Very accurate and consisent. Have only shot a couple of "hot" strings, barrel heated up with no change in impact.

Rich