• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on Magpul PRS Lite?

magpul website product page just got updated to "summer 2021". what a shame. have been really looking forward to this
I saw the same, I’ve been waiting for one. Finally bought a PRS gen 3 instead.

Yeah...Ive got a rifle class In July I plan to run a build I have earmarked for this stock...was really looking forward to using it in that class. Trying to hold off on it but was thinking about just ordering a UBR instead at this point.

Dangit...... Well.... Now I gotta buy a cheap temporary stock for my new build... Because I WILL get this stock eventually.

Well they hit my price / function threshold on this one.

The extra available lop is good for me.
Wish the bottom was parallel.

Well they hit my price / function threshold on this one.

The extra available lop is good for me.
Wish the bottom was parallel.
agreed...especially the design being a combo of the UBR and PRS, which were the two stocks I was in between...and sounds like I'm not the only one.

Reactions: Snuby642
I think they will sell a lot of those.

Magpul is pretty smart, and I have a lot of thier products with no problems.

I think they will sell a lot of those.

Magpul is pretty smart, and I have a lot of thier products with no problems.
Ive noticed that the new trend amongst facebook gun groups, reddit, and the like is anti-magpul snobbery.

I believe it is rooted entirely in the fact that magpul makes the hobby AFFORDABLE for many, and their model delivers a high quality product for the price.

Magpul stocks are the norm for MANY builders..I think CTR/MOE stocks were some of the best selling ever made for ARs, magpul MBUIS sights are the de facto standard for most flip up backup sights that shooters own, and magpul pmags have become a literal name brand for rifle mags.

Thats just a few that come to mind...but it is notorious now to all of a sudden hate on magpul. In the AK world....zhukov stocks are hated on constantly...once again, I believe strictly due to affordability. You can buy a stock that extends in length, has a cheek riser, and folds for $100.. previously, you had to dig through milsurp foreign kits or buy expensive folding adapters...with the total cost being 3x that, at minimum.

I once recorded a video of me repeated slamming one on concrete..then another video of me hammering the folding mechanism with a hammer in response to comments about how the stock system is "trash" and wont hold up to abuse.

The first response Ive had to the video (now years later) came only a few months ago... asking me to "turn" the stock a certain way before repeating the test. moving the goal posts...to avoid the fact that they make a great product, that is priced to be affordable for the masses.

I don’t know how I missed this. Add me to the excited list

Not every Magpul product is top shelf.

That being said, most are at least a good standard at the price point.
Some are the standard all are judged by.

Not many shooters around that don't own a Magpul product.

IMHO

It was a rip on monty python.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: lash
Im relatively new to the forum but havent seen much, other than the occasional mention of not loving the magpul bipod :D
Just bought a magpul bipod, functions ok after its mounted. I got the swivel stud mount for some of my hunting rifles. Not overly impressed with how it attaches. Harris seems to be better in this area but the Harris is bulky.
After owning an Atlas I won’t ever buy a different brand again.

Not every Magpul product is top shelf.

That being said, most are at least a good standard at the price point.
Some are the standard all are judged by.

Not many shooters around that don't own a Magpul product.

IMHO

It was a rip on monty python.

Great comparison!

Just bought a magpul bipod, functions ok after its mounted. I got the swivel stud mount for some of my hunting rifles. Not overly impressed with how it attaches. Harris seems to be better in this area but the Harris is bulky.
After owning an Atlas I won’t ever buy a different brand again.

I'd have to agree. I bought one myself. Didnt think it was great. It came with 2 shims and neither of which fit the profile of the handguard on my tikka t3x ctr. I didnt think it fit tight enough so I returned it. The sling stud adapter mount in general presents a less-than-ideal mounting solution and everything else required bedding another anchor into the stock, which I wanted to avoid.

However...I went and bought the accu-shot sling stud adapter (over the caldwell 'crap' one), which everyone loves, and a FAB defense spike bipod (which on paper looks and functions better than the magpul)...couldnt get the accu-shot to tighten on the profile enough to stop moving, and shot worse groups even with a bipod that functioned better.

I ended the whole ordeal with saying screw it and finally buying a chassis, since between adding a rail to the stock, adding a cheek riser, adding a wider grip, and adding something that would increase the length of pull, would literally put me in the same price range as an ORYX cost.

so the long and the short of it, I thought the situation was the bipod's fault..but it honestly wasnt, and I'm willing to bet that with a better mount, it would have functioned better as a bipod too.

I like that they have trimmed the weight and kept most of the other features of the PRS. In my opinion, overall Magpul quality is always high compared to the other options I have handled.

I am running a Luth MBA-3 on my precision AR as I can keep the carbine tube length adjustment short and make up the difference on the butt pad LOP adjustment. This keeps the cheek rest forward as I like to lean into the rifle. (This likley comes for shooting lot of service rifle with the nose on the charging handle approach.)

One of these is going on my 18" 5.56. Went from B5 SOPMOD, to Luth MBA-5, back to the SOPMOD.

One of these is going on my 18" 5.56. Went from B5 SOPMOD, to Luth MBA-5, back to the SOPMOD.
B5 SOPMOD is not doing it for me. I Don’t feel like I can get a solid position on the rear bag. Maybe the PRS Gen 3 will be a drastic improvement?

B5 SOPMOD is not doing it for me. I Don’t feel like I can get a solid position on the rear bag. Maybe the PRS Gen 3 will be a drastic improvement?
That is my main complaint. It feels like it's trying to balance on its tippy toes, however it feels higher quality than the Luth. I don't want to go to the weight of the Gen 3 though, so I'll wait for the lite.

Reactions: Sogan
what about the UBR?

Depending on the rifle's use, I feel like its the better choice if you're not using it to bench shoot.

Also the reason why I liked the idea of the PRS Lite, with it literally being a combo of UBR and PRS stock features.

VLTOR Emod has a good surface for a rear bag as well, plus it's collapsible.

Joe bobs shows the lite as in stock. They claim to only shoe live inventory, so apparently they have them ready to rock.

I've ordered a fair amount of stuff from them with zero complaints, but I didn't think the PRS lite was in the wild yet.

It's been 87 posts ago.
I now have to go back and see if I really want it anymore.

Reactions: UFhockey8
I might just pick up a Luth AR. Seems like people have mixed thoughts on those?

The Luth Stocks work fine if you're shooting from a bench or prone. But if it's going on a hard use rifle I wouldn't recommend it. The adjustable parts are kinda flimsy so if you get a stuck round and you try to mortar your rifle with the LOP adjustment out you're probably going to break it, other than that they work beautifully and they're the best bang for your buck as far as getting a light weight stock with full adjustability in that price range. I personally like the MBA-3 the best.
IMG_20210622_165010361.jpg

The only complaint I have with them is that the adjustable cheek rest will flex even when tightened down properly with the weight of your head, so if you're working with a scope with a tight eye box it can be a pain in the ass. But I've since found a way to fix the issue. Cut yourself a piece of foam and insert it under the cheek rest then compress the cheek rest to your desired height and lock it down.
IMG_20210622_165034783.jpg

And make sure to read the instructions, I see a lot of bad reviews from people who complained that it doesn't fit milspec or commercial buffer tubes, that it's loose on both and it rattles. Well it's supposed to, it comes equipped with a tensioning screw that you need to snug down once you set your length to pull then it's rock solid.
IMG_20210622_165314912.jpg

Another good option if you're running a rifle length tube is the Seekins 10x Stock, super lightweight and adjustable for cheek height and LOP. Very basic design but Grunt proof and you definitely don't need to worry about breaking anything if you Mortar it. Both the MBA-3 and 10x are around $100.00

Last edited:
The Luth Stocks work fine if you're shooting from a bench or prone. But if it's going on a hard use rifle I wouldn't recommend it. The adjustable parts are kinda flimsy so if you get a stuck round and you try to mortar your rifle with the LOP adjustment out you're probably going to break it, other than that they work beautifully and they're the best bang for your buck as far as getting a light weight stock with full adjustability in that price range. I personally like the MBA-3 the best.
View attachment 7652911

The only complaint I have with them is that the adjustable cheek rest will flex even when tightened down properly with the weight of your head, so if you're working with a scope with a tight eye box it can be a pain in the ass. But I've since found a way to fix the issue. Cut yourself a piece of foam and insert it under the cheek rest then compress the cheek rest to your desired height and lock it down.
View attachment 7652909

And make sure to read the instructions, I see a lot of bad reviews from people who complained that it doesn't fit milspec or commercial buffer tubes, that it's loose on both and it rattles. Well it's supposed to, it comes equipped with a tensioning screw that you need to snug down once you set your length to pull then it's rock solid.
View attachment 7652913
Timely write-up, was looking at one of these.

View attachment 7652911

View attachment 7652909

View attachment 7652913

Another good option if you're running a rifle length tube is the Seekins 10x Stock, super lightweight and adjustable for cheek height and LOP. Very basic design but Grunt proof and you definitely don't need to worry about breaking anything if you Mortar it. Both the MBA-3 and 10x are around $100.00

Thanks for all the info. I found a PRS Gen3 for $178 online, so just pulled the trigger on that. Awesome write up on the Luth AR though.

Reactions: bigjake83

I was looking online for this Seekins 10x stock the other day and can only find the skeletonized X-Ray version for $150 at Joe Bob's. I need some LOP added and a bit of a cheek riser on my MOE fixed rifle stock for my Noveske, so I ordered the Magpul PRS extended buttpad and used vetrap to secure a piece of foam. It will get me by on the cheap until the PRS lite or that Seekins become available.

This is quite literally the last piece of my 308 build needed. Crossing my fingers I can slap it on before modern rifle deer season in November.

LOL is that a Ford Ranger? At least make it an old beat up Hilux so it would have that "over there" believability.
It is a Ford Ranger ... Toyota HiLux trucks are fast becoming hard to find in certain areas.

And the "Global" version of the Ranger is a best seller in Europe and other places.... making it a more "commonly" found vehicle.

Believe it or not... the Ford Ranger has been looked at since 2013. And is getting a footing now a days. There are numerous versions for sale that are armored.

You can even order one from South Africa Ford.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...+Ranger+v.+Toyota+HiLux+in+Special+operations

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!message-editor_1520443439...jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 7652911

View attachment 7652909

View attachment 7652913

The foam tip to firm up the cheek riser was money. (y)
I wish they had drilled a few more of the holes though, it could be moved back one more.
The charging handle doesn't move all the way back when the stock is on position 4. Isn't enough to prevent charging, is just annoying.

Reactions: bigjake83
The other annoyance/bene-sug is I wish they had added a 3rd threaded socket to allow the ability to move the butt pad UP, not just down and side to side. The MBA-3 is very good but a few things keep it from being damn near perfect.