• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on the Aero Precision SOLUS ?

If the action is anything like their meh AR stuff, I'd wait and not be a guinea pig. Once they are out in the wild for a while, make a decision then.

• Haha
Reactions: FredHammer
That's the equivalent of waiting on a savage. You could have found a Tikka in that time and had a much better rifle that holds it's value.

That's the equivalent of waiting on a savage. You could have found a Tikka in that time and had a much better rifle that holds it's value.
I like to fool around and find out. I'll report either way with my findings.

Reactions: 346ci
The Ruger was accurate and I liked the features, like being able to take AICS mags or one of the SR25 mags I already had at the time. And I sold it for as much as I paid for it (minus inflation).

I get what you’re saying, and normally am happy to let others beta test new products. I’m just giving the counterpoint that there is minimal downside risk on a relatively cheap new toy.

As for me, I wouldn’t hesitate except that I’ve apparently contracted a severe allergic reaction to money, requiring custom builds to treat it.

Reactions: 346ci
Well... if the fact it looks like ass means they cut costs on asthetics that my be a good thing. I notice the bolt is not fluted. It could be a good action without all the money spent making it look pretty. I watched some videos of it. The cocking sounds crisp and it seems to be smooth. I used a 737r on my last build but I can save 500 bucks and put it towards a chassis...why not as long as I'm not sacrificing accuracy.
It looks like a gem compared to the ARC Archimedes.

Like their AR's, I'm sure they're for the poors. Can't wait for the inevitable "I'm having problems with my POS frankengun" threads to infest the bolt action forum like they do on the semi auto side.....

you got it backwards...lol

"as soon as i changed the trigger spring, got a bartlein spun up with a custom chamber for bergers, send it to be DLC'd, change the forend its as good and shoots better than my friends AI"

getting flashbacks of the RPR when it first came out

Would you agree it cocks like any other smooth cocking action? I can only imagine a primary extraction setup like the ARC Coup...
I think there are inevitably degrees to everything. At the very least it should only ever be compared to other 60 degree actions. The cocking on my Solus is excellent, im flat out impressed. I have other gripes. I think they went too far with the contouring on the underside of the bolt. It interacts with the raceway in strange ways, but i haven't worked that out yet.

I had two Arch actions here when they first came out. Super cool, and the Coup should be that much better. I wonder what the price will go to after the introduction. Im guessing $1100 or thereabouts.

I think there are inevitably degrees to everything. At the very least it should only ever be compared to other 60 degree actions. The cocking on my Solus is excellent, im flat out impressed. I have other gripes. I think they went too far with the contouring on the underside of the bolt. It interacts with the raceway in strange ways, but i haven't worked that out yet.

I had two Arch actions here when they first came out. Super cool, and the Coup should be that much better. I wonder what the price will go to after the introduction. Im guessing $1100 or thereabouts.
I think $1,099+

Bella said they always drop $100 for introductory to garner interest. It's nice of them to still do that when there is plenty of interest already.

I know I shouldn't be but, I am impressed by some of the ridiculous comments in the various Aero threads. If we took some of these posts at face value no one would ever try anything new or bring any new products to market.
I'm just trying to keep things realistic. The multiple actions I played with were not even remotely as nice as some of the comments here are about it. This action's main competition will be the Origin, and I believe the Origin is a much nicer product in every way. Not saying that because I am a fan either.

I really wanted to like the Solus. I was excited to see it at SHOT but was just not impressed.

It may not be perfect, but it is another choice, one that is cut to support both AICS and AW mags, which, by itself, will interest some folks.
Since everything I have is built on Remington 700's, I would certainly be interested in giving one of these a go, I think they were very smart in designing around prexisting, prefit barrels and the savage thread pattern.

I'm just trying to keep things realistic. The multiple actions I played with were not even remotely as nice as some of the comments here are about it. This action's main competition will be the Origin, and I believe the Origin is a much nicer product in every way. Not saying that because I am a fan either.

I really wanted to like the Solus. I was excited to see it at SHOT but was just not impressed.
The people speaking better about it here are not talking about the SHOT examples you felt, but the actions they bought.

The people speaking better about it here are not talking about the SHOT examples you felt, but the actions they bought.
he also has a "Bighorn" logo as profile pic, just sayin ;). I would have to admit though, if I was going to buy any action between the Origin and Solus toys, it would be the Origin. But I do want to see the Solus turn out a winner, I would like to have one at some point.

• Haha
Watched a video on YouTube, and a guy says that the nitrided bolt is already showing some wear. Anything with yours?
Mine is. That's the problem with "colored" bolts. Bolts that aren't silver. Silver bolts hide all the scratches colored bolts show. Whether that be a treated bolt, or a coated bolt.

Last edited:
nitride isn't a coating
That was a good point of order. Glad you caught me slipping using a general term to explain a point. I changed my post so there is no confusion between treated and coated for those that might not know.

The black on the nitrided parts is a byproduct of the treating process. It comes off pretty quick, the metal still has the surface hard properties.
I knew it was a treatment, but was unaware it was okay if it came off. Thanks for the clarification!

It would be cool if someone with a Defiance or BAT etc. could post a vid of theirs cocking with firing pin dropped. Then we could see the differences.

Looks smother than the christensen barreled action I just built. Guess not really apples to apples. It doesn't look as smooth as an impact.

That would be a slaughter, they shouldn't be compared.
I understand inflation and supply chain issues, but defiance jacked up their prices. I bought a tenacity under like $900 last year. Now they are $1600. So I don't think they should be comparable. Just my 2 cents.

At Shot Show 2023's Industry Range Day, I got a chance to shoot a SOLUS competition rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I shot a mag and half and got a good first impression. I don't know how many rounds my sample rifle has had through it, but the bolt pulled smoothly. The trigger was crisp. The Aero designed chassis was well built with a nice thin profile hand guard with an integral ARCA/Swiss rail. I was able to reliably hit the 900m gong with a 10-30 mph gusting cross-winds.

The bolt lift/close appears to be pretty notchy and hard from your video. Can you compare that to any other actions you own or have used

Reactions: rijndael
thumbnail_image0.jpg

Smooth operator! Soulless like it's owner....:D
Ran a mag of loaded rounds through her a few times. Silky smooth feeding and ejection was strong. .243AI
Promise to get it out tomorrow!
TriggerTech 700 Special is saweet!

Seriously:
Savage (I had to bevel the ejectors to eliminate cartridge binding from the mag and onto the bolt face)
Rem 700
Rem 783
Rem 7
M70
Kimber M84
CZ 550
Tikka T1
Tikka T3x A1
RPR
Ruger MKII
Browning A-Bolt
Browning X-Bolt
MAS 36
Mosin
M94 Swede
M1917
M1922
M1903
1903A3
K31
M39
Barrett 99
Armalite AR50
Not much on the planet beats my No4MK2 Lee Enfield...;)

Ask me tomorrow and I can tell you about an ARC Nucleus...

Last edited:
Reactions: dmcfarland
thumbnail_image0 (1).jpg

Head to head comparisons: My opinion matters a lot and I will b taking donations for my trouble on the following "scholarly article" immense with objective & scientific methods of review and reporting...

Both these actions are new, unfired. Both tested straight from box, and then after a whole bunch of cycles. The Aero has significantly less bolt lift force. The bolt on both ride smooth. The Nucleus large bolt knob, however, gives a mechanical advantage to make the heavier bolt lift manageable. Grabbing and cycling the bolts like you mean it makes this comparison a bit moot point. They both get'er done.

SOLUS has a better applied finish and dimensionally sleeker. Although the rear tang of the Nucleus tapers out thinner and fits the drop in stocks with smoother appearance. The SOLUS a bit proud and clunky back there in the rear tang. The SOLUS is at home in the KRG and Magpul Pro stocks. The Nucleus too, but also sits better in the MDT TIMBR. The SOLUS looked like Lego baked clunky dog shit.

I really do dig the big "fuck off" features on the Nucleus. :d The bolt handle size and design just make me smile. The CRF action, if it works by design, is an added nice feature. My professional opinion is this: Go buy this shit for yourself, try them, test them, keep what you like and just keep doing this until you die. And remember. Live free or Die trying!

Last edited:
I received one of these and finally made time to look it over.
I figured I would send some of the bolt parts off for IonBond with a large batch of other parts already going and then barrel it up for a class loaner rifle to see how it holds up.

I have not fired any rounds through this action yet but already have some opinions*.
*It is noted that my opinion is worth exactly the price you are paying to read this right now…..

Regarding some posts comparing the “feel” of a SOLUS cycling to another brand of action that has already had thousands of cycles.
That is retarded.

Cycling an action many times is a big deal in smoothing out the feel as the bolt unlocks, cycles back and forth and then goes back into battery.
Zero points given to anyone’s feedback on such a comparison.

Regarding some posts comparing the “feel” and force needed to cock a SOLUS to another brand of action that has a 2-lug/90 degree design.
That is retarded.

3 lug actions must attempt to get the same amount of primary extraction camming done with 33% less lug and handle boss rotation. More rotational force needed to accomplish the same rearward movement via the cam surface.

My perception of the action.

Pros:

Very good receiver and bolt body design.
Great surface finish with few machine marks.
Good bolt stop design.
Good trigger hangar design.
Generous ejection port.
Force to lift bolt during cocking is very favorable compared to similar 3 lug actions.
Double cocking piece design provides 2 separate cam surfaces 180 degrees apart at the rear of the bolt. This allows the camming operation work to be shared across 2 equal camming surfaces. Pretty smart.
Bottom mag feed cut and ramp in the bottom of the receiver is well done.

Cons:

The bolt head has 2 ejectors. Both are too close to the extractor.
Both are too short to operate smoothly in their host holes under repeated load. Both have springs that are too short to allow smooth movement across the ejector’s travel.

Simply moving their location to the other side of the breech face would double the amount of leverage they could provide in relation to the pivot point of the extractor.

20230207_224134 - 1.jpg

Both ejectors have no chamfer at the rear face which when combined with their short length and no center spring guide feature allows the ejectors to try to twist and bite in their respective holes.

20230207_224219 - 1.jpg

The existing bolt head has ample room and material available to change the ejector position, go to a larger diameter/ deeper depth hole that would allow a Rem700’ish ejector with spring guide feature and longer spring. Even a single ejector with such a proven design and location would far outperform their current double ejector design.

The Extractor is small and is not smooth in its movement. I believe the spring needs to be longer and the host hole deeper for a smoother function within the load range it will live at.

20230207_223737 - 1.jpg

My current feeling is that they did a LOT of things right with this design.
Seemingly all the hard shit was designed and machined quite well and then they dropped the ball with the ejector and extractor details.
Both are going to be hard to service.

Both are going to cause issues and make their phone ring.

Both could be addressed and improved upon at the same or less production $.

When these bolt parts get back from IonBond, we will run the crap out of it and see if any of my worries are warranted.

./

At least the design flaws are located on a part that can be easily swapped out! I like the review. Even if you did call me a retard! :D

I received one of these and finally made time to look it over.
I figured I would send some of the bolt parts off for IonBond with a large batch of other parts already going and then barrel it up for a class loaner rifle to see how it holds up.

I have not fired any rounds through this action yet but already have some opinions*.
*It is noted that my opinion is worth exactly the price you are paying to read this right now…..

Regarding some posts comparing the “feel” of a SOLUS cycling to another brand of action that has already had thousands of cycles.
That is retarded.

Cycling an action many times is a big deal in smoothing out the feel as the bolt unlocks, cycles back and forth and then goes back into battery.

Regarding some posts comparing the “feel” and force needed to cock a SOLUS to another brand of action that has a 2-lug/90 degree design.
That is retarded.

3 lug actions must attempt to get the same amount of primary extraction camming done with 33% less lug and handle boss rotation. More rotational force needed to accomplish the same rearward movement via the cam surface.

My perception of the action.

Pros:

Very good receiver and bolt body design.
Great surface finish with few machine marks.
Good bolt stop design.
Good trigger hangar design.
Generous ejection port.
Force to lift bolt during cocking is very favorable compared to similar 3 lug actions.
Double cocking piece design provides 2 separate cam surfaces 180 degrees apart at the rear of the bolt. This allows the camming operation work to be shared across 2 equal camming surfaces. Pretty smart.
Bottom mag feed cut and ramp in the bottom of the receiver is well done.

Cons:

Both are too short to operate smoothly in their host holes under repeated load. Both have springs that are too short to allow smooth movement across the ejector’s travel.

Simply moving their location to the other side of the breech face would double the amount of leverage they could provide in relation to the pivot point of the extractor.

View attachment 8070092

Both ejectors have no chamfer at the rear face which when combined with their short length and no center spring guide feature allows the ejectors to try to twist and bite in their respective holes.

View attachment 8070093

The existing bolt head has ample room and material available to change the ejector position, go to a larger diameter/ deeper depth hole that would allow a Rem700’ish ejector with spring guide feature and longer spring. Even a single ejector with such a proven design and location would far outperform their current double ejector design.

The Extractor is small and is not smooth in its movement. I believe the spring needs to be longer and the host hole deeper for a smoother function within the load range it will live at.

View attachment 8070094

My current feeling is that they did a LOT of things right with this design.
Seemingly all the hard shit was designed and machined quite well and then they dropped the ball with the ejector and extractor details.
Both are going to be hard to service.

Both are going to cause issues and make their phone ring.

Both could be addressed and improved upon at the same or less production $.

When these bolt parts get back from IonBond, we will run the crap out of it and see if any of my worries are warranted.

./
great feedback, now please buy a CDG and fill us in on your thoughts in that one too :)

• Haha
I'm not sure I follow. Moving the ejectors away from the extractor would reduce the leverage and as such the force of ejection.

Cons:

View attachment 8070092

Calls another person a retard for giving his opinion...then goes on to give his own opinion on same subject, comparing solus 3 lug design to unnamed action, so as to not be able to compare literally anything. Congratulations youre a douche bag, and you played yourself. 🤣

• Haha
Moving the ejectors to the side farther from the extractor will provide more mechanical leverage for the ejector (making it easier for the ejector to push the case) think of a pry bar with the case head being the bar and the extractor being the pry location and ejector your hand pushing.

The dual ejectors close to the extractor is interesting, I don’t think I have seen that before. Could help with the short cases like the BR’s.