• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on the Aero Precision SOLUS ?

TFB just posted a review of the Solus on YouTube. This thread is referenced at the 2:30 mark, Screenshot here....
Screenshot_20231028_215807_YouTube.jpg

:ROFLMAO:🤣

My main gripe with the chassis is (was) the cheek piece. It needed to go all the way up just to sneak the bolt out, and it needs to come all the way off to get a cleaning rod in, which involves disassembling the spring loaded adjustment knob (easy, but annoying).

I think I have that fixed with a 3D printed low profile notched cheek piece. I also adopted the more comfortable profile of the MDT Elite cheek riser. I’m stoked to try this out!

IMG_3728.jpeg

IMG_3729.jpeg

IMG_3730.jpeg

IMG_3731.jpeg

My main gripe with the chassis is (was) the cheek piece. It needed to go all the way up just to sneak the bolt out, and it needs to come all the way off to get a cleaning rod in, which involves disassembling the spring loaded adjustment knob (easy, but annoying).

I think I have that fixed with a 3D printed low profile notched cheek piece. I also adopted the more comfortable profile of the MDT Elite cheek riser. I’m stoked to try this out!

View attachment 8260446

View attachment 8260447

View attachment 8260448

View attachment 8260449
Damn bro! Look at you go!

View attachment 8260446

View attachment 8260447

View attachment 8260448

View attachment 8260449
Where do we send our money?!

Good news everyone!

The Area419 Bighorn knob adapter fits the Solus perfectly. So if you want to convert to a standard 5/16-24 bolt knob, the Bighorn adapter will fit. I threw the Defiance/Universal knob on as well. Feels great.

IMG_3780.jpeg

IMG_3776.jpeg

IMG_3777.jpeg

IMG_3778.jpeg

IMG_3779.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone own a fluted Solus hunter rifle and have a weight on it? Was looking at the 6.5 PRC and 6.5 Creedmoor, one says it weighs 7.8lbs, the other says 8.92lbs. A pretty big spread so I was wanting confirmation.

PVA is selling barreled actions for $1100 until the end of the year. Absolutely smoking deal for one of their barrels on this action. And ~4 week lead time ain’t too shabby either.

Why aren't these more popular? That's a solid $400 under an Origin/Proof combo which is already a smokin deal, and the solus has integrated rail and lug!

Are the barrels that lacking? They're Ballistic Advantage, yeah?

Reactions: BrianM87
Why aren't these more popular? That's a solid $400 under an Origin/Proof combo which is already a smokin deal, and the solus has integrated rail and lug!

Are the barrels that lacking? They're Ballistic Advantage, yeah?
The PVA deal is a PVA barrel on the Solus action. I haven’t used a PVA barrel (yet), but reviews are overwhelmingly positive it seems. I would be surprised if the factory BA barrels can keep up with PVA quality, but the real benefit PVA offers is the various lengths, contours, and chamberings. Now you can buy a barreled action for your specific use/desires for only ~$200 more than the good SALE prices Aero has. Even if you bought the action on one of the super sales for ~$650, then this package is like getting a PVA prefit for $450 AND less than half the normal lead time.

If Aero doesn’t jack prices up next year like the entire industry/world is forecasting, then I think we’ll start to see more and more Soluses out there. A lot of people compare a $900 Solus to a $900 CDG or Origin. Ordinarily I’d advocate for comparing street prices, but when these are on sale every few weeks for $650-800, that 900 comparison isn’t as valid.

I’m still digging mine. It’s like an open source Tikka with a r700 footprint. My factory BA barrel is holding sub MOA 10 shot groups out to 400 with factory ammo. Not lacking at all for a factory barrel.

The PVA deal is a PVA barrel on the Solus action. I haven’t used a PVA barrel (yet), but reviews are overwhelmingly positive it seems. I would be surprised if the factory BA barrels can keep up with PVA quality, but the real benefit PVA offers is the various lengths, contours, and chamberings. Now you can buy a barreled action for your specific use/desires for only ~$200 more than the good SALE prices Aero has. Even if you bought the action on one of the super sales for ~$650, then this package is like getting a PVA prefit for $450 AND less than half the normal lead time.

If Aero doesn’t jack prices up next year like the entire industry/world is forecasting, then I think we’ll start to see more and more Soluses out there. A lot of people compare a $900 Solus to a $900 CDG or Origin. Ordinarily I’d advocate for comparing street prices, but when these are on sale every few weeks for $650-800, that 900 comparison isn’t as valid.

I’m still digging mine. It’s like an open source Tikka with a r700 footprint. My factory BA barrel is holding sub MOA 10 shot groups out to 400 with factory ammo. Not lacking at all for a factory barrel.
When you say "open source Tikka",,,,

Explain more, please.

Also, I can't find any info/specs on the PVA barrels. Are they button, or cut?

Last edited:
When you say "open source Tikka",,,,

Explain more, please.
The action feels very Tikka-esque in bolt throw and lift. Now that mine has smoothed out after a few hundred rounds, I’d say it smoother than a fluted bolt Tikka, an almost as good as a smooth bolt CTR. Open source being r700 footprint, takes AI & AW mags, and uses one of the most popular barrel threads and shoulder dimensions. I can’t think of a way they could’ve integrated any more compatibility than they have.

Yep I'm tempted to grab one just for an extra 6.5 barrel. I haven't taken my factory 6.5 aero barrel past 300 yet but it's averaging well under moa. I was going to wait since I don't compete or anything and it'll take several years to shoot one out for me.

Yep I'm tempted to grab one just for an extra 6.5 barrel. I haven't taken my factory 6.5 aero barrel past 300 yet but it's averaging well under moa. I was going to wait since I don't compete or anything and it'll take several years to shoot one out for me.

I’ll sell ya mine so I can get the M24-ish barrel I really want 😆

Have a few PVA barrels. Can say with out a doubt they shoot lights out…especially the 6mm stuff. Little laser beams.

You will not be sorry when you are putting them through the same hole.

Reactions: YotaEer
Have a few PVA barrels. Can say with out a doubt they shoot lights out…especially the 6mm stuff. Little laser beams.

You will not be sorry when you are putting them through the same hole.
Is there a link to the actual barrel used? I don't see anything on their site.
Are they button, or cut rifled?

Is there a link to the actual barrel used? I don't see anything on their site.
Are they button, or cut rifled?
99% sure it’s a osprey which is button but all things equal button/cut is 1980 thought.

Button has come a long way with consistency and stress relieving

I personally don’t even ask anymore.

A tight group is a tight group…don’t care if it’s cut by a bever lol

@padom what are you using ?

99% sure it’s a osprey which is button but all things equal button/cut is 1980 thought.

Button has come a long way with consistency and stress relieving

I personally don’t even ask anymore.

A tight group is a tight group…don’t care if it’s cut by a bever lol

@padom what are you using ?
That's why I can't make sense of it, as the Osprey barrels are well over $600

The action feels very Tikka-esque in bolt throw and lift. Now that mine has smoothed out after a few hundred rounds, I’d say it smoother than a fluted bolt Tikka, an almost as good as a smooth bolt CTR. Open source being r700 footprint, takes AI & AW mags, and uses one of the most popular barrel threads and shoulder dimensions. I can’t think of a way they could’ve integrated any more compatibility than they have.
Is that to say you'd put the Tikka action over the Solus?

That's why I can't make sense of it, as the Osprey barrels are well over $600
The website says "our OEM blanks". I would think that if these were Osprey's, he'd say so. Even if they're a lower tier barrel, it's still a helluva deal - I hope, as I just ordered one.

Is that to say you'd put the Tikka action over the Solus?
In terms of only bolt smoothness when side-loading, against a CTR, I'd say they are damn close. Compared as a whole, the Solus is way better - tons more features and modularity.

I'm wanting a 6.5prc, and I'm not sure if I should go ahead with the Solus route, or wait for the Origin/Proof combo for $1,495 to come back in stock at Altus.
All things equal, I'd rather have the Origin/Proof setup, but damn the price difference would get me a Bravo.

Either way, I'll wait till Black Friday to see if any sales shake loose.
If Aero puts the Solus Bravo on for $1,495 again, I'm going to have a hard time deciding.

Decisions, ect.

Last edited:
The website says "our OEM blanks". I would think that if these were Osprey's, he'd say so. Even if they're a lower tier barrel, it's still a helluva deal - I hope, as I just ordered one.

In terms of only bolt smoothness when side-loading, against a CTR, I'd say they are damn close. Compared as a whole, the Solus is way better - tons more features and modularity.

I agree the bolt throw is very similar. Bolt lift on my example goes to the Aero vs my 3 Tikka's. They both can be cycled without issue, without hanging up or thinking about it. After that I think bolt "feel" is overrated.

I really like the whole Aero bolt. Easy to cock and uncock, easy to disassemble by hand.

Last edited:
Yes, I guess the leverage would be more but the travel of the lever arm (cartridge base) would be less. In my mind I was equating the further travel of the lever arm with more leverage.
Simple terms

Go buy two 36" pry bars, cut one in half, now go around and pry some shit up, which one is easier?

Answer: The one where the asshat is furtherest from the prying

Last edited:
Reactions: Vortex1
"He didn't compare it to any particular action." No, no, He didn't compare it to ANY action. He said "Force to lift bolt during cocking is very favorable
I just get my panties all bunched up when people talk shit online, cause 99 percent of them wouldn't say what they are typing to someone's face.

Can't remember Terry Cross talking shit online, he probably has forgotten more than the majority of us on here know about building rifles and precision shooting.

On the PVA page, it says "All barreled actions in 6mm through 30 caliber come with 5/8-24 muzzle threads, the 22 caliber barrels come with 1/2-28 threads. "

Under the drop down options, there's one that says "Solus Threads" with the 2 common thread sizes as options.

What's that abt?

Has anyone confirmed that the solus will be available in .223 bolt face (.380)
I did send them a message on their chat window and they confirmed 223 was in the works, but didnt give a timeline.

Reactions: 264win
PVA is selling barreled actions for $1100 until the end of the year. Absolutely smoking deal for one of their barrels on this action. And ~4 week lead time ain’t too shabby either.

No matter what chambering I choose, barrel contour I cannot add it to the cart unless I choose the Osprey blank upgrade.

IMG_2491.jpeg

IMG_2492.jpeg

That’s interesting. I don’t think that was like that a few days ago. Call them and see what’s up. I’m guessing either a glitch, or they are out of the non-Osprey blanks. I think they are moving this week, so it may be challenging to get ahold of them.

That’s interesting. I don’t think that was like that a few days ago. Call them and see what’s up. I’m guessing either a glitch, or they are out of the non-Osprey blanks. I think they are moving this week, so it may be challenging to get ahold of them.
I just went to the site, and it did the same for me. So, he's probably sold out of the cheaper barrels, and only has Osprey's left. Also, I noticed you can't select any short mag cartridges so I'm guessing he's out of the .540 bolt face actions.

Reactions: Darryle
Regarding the orientation of the three bolt lugs on the Solus, is it two up / one down like AI and ARC CDG which can aid in AW magazine feeding, or one up / two down like other designs?

-Stan

Thank you!

That looks like two lugs up / one lug down AI / ARC CDG style to me.

Am I seeing this correctly?

-Stan
That's what it looks like to me. I don't have a Solus yet but I'm eyeing them.

Here is the original thread from where I found that picture:

Reactions: stanley_white
That's what it looks like to me. I don't have a Solus yet but I'm eyeing them.

Here is the original thread from where I found that picture:

Thank you!

-Stan

Moving the ejectors to the side farther from the extractor will provide more mechanical leverage for the ejector (making it easier for the ejector to push the case) think of a pry bar with the case head being the bar and the extractor being the pry location and ejector your hand pushing.

The dual ejectors close to the extractor is interesting, I don’t think I have seen that before. Could help with the short cases like the BR’s.
While true that moving the ejector to the farther side of the bolt face will increase leverage, it will also increase the amount of distance the ejector plunger must travel to lift the case to a given angle.

Evening gents. I'm wondering about using my regular BDL bottom metal/hinged floorplate with the Solus? Versus the aics type mags. Any thoughts?
The Solus action I have has a recessed rim where a factory 700 BDL magazine frame will fit in it. I haven't tired to fit one in it, but I looks cutout just like a factory 700. If you already have the bottom metal, order a Solus, and see if it works? If it does, then you have your answer. I'm actually kind of curious myself now. Most all of my rifles are running AICS setups now days.

The Solus action I have has a recessed rim where a factory 700 BDL magazine frame will fit in it. I haven't tired to fit one in it, but I looks cutout just like a factory 700. If you already have the bottom metal, order a Solus, and see if it works? If it does, then you have your answer. I'm actually kind of curious myself now. Most all of my rifles are running AICS setups now days.
Thank you for the reply. I'll definitely put it together and see how it runs. I have everything for an AICS setup if needed. I'm putting together a BDL stocked, solus hunting rifle if it all goes as planned. Thanks again. DCL