• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Threaded Bolt Knob wont stay put.

kill_goose

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2010
MT
Ive got my first threaded "tacticool" bolt knob sitting here.

Ive loctited it onto the handle twice now, but it doesnt offer the degree of hold I want as its broke loose twice now in dry firing and that is just NOT acceptable.

Before I JB weld the bitch on there, any other "semi permanent" stuff I should try that may work better than loctite?

Thanks

Re: Threaded Bolt Knob wont stay put.

You've put it on there with loctite twice and it wont stay put? Somethings not quite right. Do the threads fit good or is there a bunch of slop in them when the knob is about half threaded onto the bolt handle? Which loctite are you using? How much loctite?

jb weld it. i use marine-tex since i always have it around.

Red loctite?
Should need a torch to get it off.
CW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SnkBit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You've put it on there with loctite twice and it wont stay put? Somethings not quite right. Do the threads fit good or is there a bunch of slop in them when the knob is about half threaded onto the bolt handle? Which loctite are you using? How much loctite? </div></div>

Theres some slop, but not much, its not overly loose when threaded on half way.

I used blue as thats what I had on hand, but this wasnt holding at all. It took very little pressure to break it loose.

First time I used my normal amount (a little bit minus half...a little loctite usually goes a long ways). Second time I really slathered it on there.

If it fits the threads well, I would definitely try some red loctite. It should be more than adequate to hold that knob on there. You should have to use heat to remove it.

Reactions: Nate60x

How old is your blue loctite? I had a tube several yrs old and used it on screws of a JP trigger after getting things set. Adjustment screws changed after a hundred rounds or so. Chit wouldn't set up anymore I assume from age. Bought a new tube and used it and things are fine. Make sure you shake it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cwshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Red loctite?
CW </div></div>

Yes red should do it. Make sure you clean ALL surfaces with alcohol prior to application and let it set for 24 hours. Or pick up some of the new 4 minute JB weld.

I clean the threads with acetone in the bolt knob and on the bolt, then glue it on with Devcon.

I have removed them at a later date...you have to heat the bolt and the Devcon will release fine.

green loctite 640 retaining compound for press fit.... I use it on all my bolt knobs and works great if you would like I could send you some just send me a pm - Chaz

why would you want to take it off.......JB weld, and forget it

Others have mentioned the first thing that popped into my head..

Make shure all the machining oil is off both parts befor trying to stick em together.

I didnt know LocTight got old, but I guess it makes sense. Good to know that too.

Brake clean the machined area and the knob hole. Blow dry with compressed air. Coat machined area with JB Quick, Tighten knob using death grip. Wipe excess off with a poly wipe. Repeat after air pockets bubble up.

Boom...your done. Winning....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Boom...your done. Winning.... </div></div>
LOL, maybe smear it with tiger blood?

Tiger blood might just do it. The sniper in the 1st WW that wrote "A Rifleman Goes to War" used iodine tincture to rust the screws of his scope mount into place to keep his zero. LocTite bearing and stud seal is better now...I think. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kill_goose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I used blue as thats what I had on hand, but this wasnt holding at all. It took very little pressure to break it loose.

First time I used my normal amount (a little bit minus half...a little loctite usually goes a long ways). Second time I really slathered it on there. </div></div>

I recently had a tube of Blue Loctite that wouldn't set up. In the process of figuring out what was going on, I noticed that that one tube looked slightly different than another.

I found that the contents had "separated", for want of a better term.
Shaking the sh!t out of it seemed to solve the problem.

I'd never heard of this before.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kill_goose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

First time I used my normal amount (a little bit minus half...a little loctite usually goes a long ways). Second time I really slathered it on there. </div></div>

I recently had a tube of Blue Loctite that wouldn't set up. In the process of figuring out what was going on, I noticed that that one tube looked slightly different than another.

I found that the contents had "separated", for want of a better term.
Shaking the sh!t out of it seemed to solve the problem.

I'd never heard of this before.

I think I too got a bad batch of loctite. Tried it one more time, let it cure 24 hours, broke it loose again with very little hand pressure. (Might as well re-do the scope base again as it was the same loctite I used on that
mad.gif
)

And yes, she got a good scrub down with 90% alcohol each and every time.
wink.gif

At any rate, the damn things JB welded on there now!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Boom...your done. Winning.... </div></div>
LOL, maybe smear it with tiger blood?
</div></div>

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/soundboards/play/81342498/

HAhah Yes! Winning anyone? lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cwshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Red loctite?
CW </div></div>

No you don't. We use to assemble paintball markers back in the day with red and you could spin it loose with a few seconds and a match.

If you want permanent.... they make a loctite paste that is black or orange..... its going to be chemically permanent. Once its on and the friction from screwing it down warms the threads up. Give it 60 seconds and your done!

I think the Nazi's used to dip their bare steel Mauser barrels in a boiling chemical bath that perpetuated oxidation and then screwed them into the receiver basically "rusting" them together. You could try that
smile.gif

If not, and if the different colored loctite Gods aren't smiling on you. I would go with a thick ring of super glue on the last thread or two on your bolt, thread it on, let it sit. Should last a good while, while still being "break-able" should you ever need to unscrew it.

By the way you described the fit I would bet there is too much slop between the mating parts. Red and blue Loctite are only good for so much clearence, don't remember but .005" - .008" is probaly in the ball park. There are different grades for different clearence fits. We had to buy some once for a .015" clearence between mating parts on a shaft that has wore and needed to be secured.

Skip the loctite and try some of the other suggestions you recieved.

Goodluck.

used red loctite on mine and had to heat it and wrap a leather glove around it and clamped in a smooth jaw vise to break it loose