• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

pnorris

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2012
I am thinking about picking up a Walther PPQ. The only other handgun I ever had was a Beretta 92 with a thumb safety. I feel a little strange getting a gun without a thumb safety considering every rifle or shotgun I have ever had always had a safety and I was taught to use it religiously. Am I overthinking this? How do you feel about it? I know about the other safety aspects of the gun, however, there was some comfort with the extra thumb safety. Thoughts? I know S&W makes a thumb safety model as does some other manufacturers, ie, FN

Re: Thumb Safety

All but one safety can fail, your finger. I carry a Kimber UC 2, Sig P226 and a TRP. Of coarse two of those three have the thumb safeties and depending on which holster I carry, they have known to come off saftey but hasn't rendered and rounds. As you know Glocks dont have safeties either. To ME it comes down to presonal awareness and keeping that finger off the trigger until your needing it.

Re: Thumb Safety

I was always taught to use safety as well when I was growing up. That being said, my firearms that do have a safety rarely have them engaged. Don't point them in the direction of something you don't inted to shoot and just like Moof said, keeping your finger off the trigger until you are ready. I carry a Glock and if you are referring to a pistol for carry a safety is the last thing I would want to be worried about if I ever had to use it to protect myself.