• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

TiborasaurusRex shooting a water bottle at 1072 yards with a .260

Competition is considered a validation of training by many.

Nobody says you have to win, but not being blown out is a decent gauge of one's ability.

When we only shoot by ourselves we never lose, we don't set ourselves up for failure. A competition is trial by the rule of others, their targets, their time, their positions.

Prone with a sling should mean you have your support hand forward in a vertical position with the bone directly under the rifle. Bone Support

If you are Standing and you want to get more stable you get lower and go kneeling

If you are Kneeling and want to get more stable you go lower to sitting

If you are Sitting and you want to get more stable you go lower to prone

The conversation about getting lower came from this... getting to a lower position from a previous position.

I snipped some stuff out from Frank's quote. The part I left in is very close to what I was taught in 1965 by vets that were getting kids into competitive shooting. The kids shot standing, sitting and prone at 50 yards with 22 rimfire rifles. We were given critical feedback on our positions and technique every day we trained and competed. Close enough was not good enough. Within a few months, I got into the zone and got hooked.

We’re not snobby.... he just have 0 tolerance for charlatans and self proclaimed “experts”

Especially when thehy use that cult of Personality to scam people who don’t know any better
Just to put in my 2cents. I do find most forums full of snobs I seldom post because there is always someone that attacks your ass. There’s plenty of info to be gained from Rex, SH,and many more sites We all need to be a Lettie less critical of one another . If you don’t agree with a post etc be polite.

Just to put in my 2cents. I do find most forums full of snobs I seldom post because there is always someone that attacks your ass. There’s plenty of info to be gained from Rex, SH,and many more sites We all need to be a Lettie less critical of one another . If you don’t agree with a post etc be polite.
Not addressing you personally when I say this.... but this isn’t “the Highroad”....if you come here and post bullsht, you’re gonna get called out on it.

Have you read the field manual LL was referring to? I find it so ironic that he said that a week ago in an old 2013 thread that you obviously saw because you posted right after. Now you say the same thing he said word for word. Hmmmm. Yea though you and LL are just on the same wavelength I guess. Just a coincidence.

And if I wanted to watch his drawn out videos to critique them I would have done that. You seemed to have a firm handle on what he has wrong I figured you could easily state it in a sentence or two. But yea that’s not how I mount a scope. Didn’t watch any further than that. I don’t care enough because again, I have no opinion on the dude either way. He makes videos doing something he enjoys and people watch them and he makes a living. Don’t like it? Get over it. If someone is willing to pay him to teach them, get over it. If you feel you are losing business as an instructor, work harder and get the business. Welcome to America. No need to hate on the dude as a person.
Right on

Not addressing you personally when I say this.... but this isn’t “the Highroad”....if you come here and post bullsht, you’re gonna get called out on it.
One can disagree with someone else but they don’t have to be rude. I don’t have a dog in this fight but if people are looking to discourage new shooters rudeness and condescension Will work. I’ve found myself falling into the trap of looking down my nose at others. Step back and look at ourselves. I’m done

One can disagree with someone else but they don’t have to be rude. I don’t have a dog in this fight but if people are looking to discourage new shooters rudeness and condescension Will work. I’ve found myself falling into the trap of looking down my nose at others. Step back and look at ourselves. I’m done
thanks for coming here and giving your 2 cents no one asked for.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
Speaking of rex...

I was getting my gf into shooting so was looking for a video on mils and milling targets and formulas and easy stuff like that.

Anyhow, stumble upon "rex the smartest and best".

We have his video, he is estimating target size in inches, then milling, then using a formula that gives the distance in meters.
What a clusterfuck. Seriously dude? You're measuring in inches to get a distance in meters? Is meters more tacticool? Estimate a target size in inches and you can't even go straight to yards?

Annoying.

Anyhow, rant over.

Screenshot_20190812-144647.png

It was in my backyard so I went to see what it was all about

I will talk about it today in the podcast,

I am still trying to figure out how to phrase it without coming off like a jerk, but needless to say, I was curious.

When I doing some prep work for the Gathering here in CO, I had to hit Facebook several times to manage the event. So last week I saw Rex was going to be. 20 minutes away so I went to check it out for myself.

Sure a ton of guys have filled me in and reported stuff, but nothing like seeing it first hand.

Reactions: Sheldon N
Its not really that way,

Rex is a super nice guy, I can see why people like him, very personably, and a big part is his fanbase, they are different segment of shooter for the most part. So I am being conscious of the fact we have different segments of shooters out there.

I made it through the first day without anyone but maybe 3 guys knowing who I was. Rex realized it after lunch who I was, as I only introduced myself as Frank from Denver and nothing else. On day two he introduced me to the students as Frank from SH, but he didn't really know and said so, until his buddy Jessie told him who I was.

Reactions: Changed
Frank, you know if matter combines with anti-matter, it goes boom, right?

You could have blown up the entire universe.

there was that possibility and we certainly could have created fire if one was so inclined
He caters to ARFers who think that they are precision shooters. Many of the people who jizz themselves over him are basically fudds. As far as him personally, I bet he’s a really nice. I have actually used some of his stuff and adapted it to my needs. But I just can’t stand some of the low brow people getting into this segment of shooting. I try to avoid those people and stick to people who are students of the art of the tactical rifle. I would never pay for his training but I don’t begrudge him personally.

Reactions: acudaowner and Fig
opinions like ass holes everyone has at least one , I am glad that frank and even rex , mark and sam and a ton of others put out videos so I may see products and things I would not otherwise be able to see . Not all are greatest quality videos , but they offer a look or view I may not other wise see in a way I may not have thought of . Sounds like many are mad at rex , for what I do not now or care . the man supports shooting sports and makes videos , and runs classes to help shooters , none of that sounds all that bad to me . He in no video I have see has ripped on someone that was or is not there to defend himself . If he inspires anyone to get into the sport Id be happy about that . I also would have to ask what you have done to encourage others to get into shooting where is your video line or where do you teach what classes are you teaching ?

Bilking people out of money for classes, taught by a guy with no accreditation to validate his material, while delivering no substantive information doesn't count as 'encouraging people to join the sport'

I'm sure he's a great guy to have a beer with, doesn't make him an instructor. People get shit advice or go down the wrong path based on his say so (guy loves IOR for example) and that sets them up for failure and disappointment, while he makes a buck.

That's not instruction or encouragement it's predatory capitalism built on the victimization of the uninitiated.

Ever hear the phrase: "He knows just enough to get himself in trouble?"

I would wager anyone truly interested in precision rifle will find their way from his info to this very site eventually. His YouTube channel is probably the easiest find and does have useful info. I found it before finding the Hide myself. The quality of content here is way beyond his stuff and much more to the point. Frank does an excellent job without the never ending ramblings...

Reactions: Steel head
I would wager anyone truly interested in precision rifle will find their way from his info to this very site eventually. His YouTube channel is probably the easiest find and does have useful info. I found it before finding the Hide myself. The quality of content here is way beyond his stuff and much more to the point. Frank does an excellent job without the never ending ramblings...

The difference between the two YouTube channels is immediately noticeable.

Constant random pics and video clips with a lot of words saying very little or somewhat abrupt and to the point commentary with topic related pics and video.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
Okay, ready here is a test,

This video is at least 4 years old, I did it originally for Accuracy International when the PSR Rifle came out. So bare in mind the time frame of it.

To put it in context, I had this video in a Powerpoint I used for class, it's my "Break Video" so when I hit it, we go on a 10 minute break, it's really just a place holder for me when teaching.

So pay close attention to the fundamentals demonstrated, look at the cheek weld, trigger control, follow through, etc. That is really what it shows, but there is a secret in here I will post after.

My friend has some strange man crush on triceratops rex and showed me that video.

I could go on and vent about these "instructors" who have to use editing to make themselves seem skilled. I especially hate the civilian gucci gear, tight emo pants mall warriors. I usually check out after the first 20 seconds when I see the green army man prone position.

Great video Frank, Keep up the good work. I use your video's as a example to keep my own fundamentals in check.

So...has anyone ever seen or met Rex at a match? He does seem like he would be a nice guy...however...

While I would never say that competition is the end-all be-all of everything (certainly doesn't make you a good teacher); to create an internet mythos about your shooting ability without actually competing against the best marksmen out there (in the civilian world) doesn't seem quite right to me. If you're really that good why don't you win a bunch of matches?

I would have to think there would be nothing better for your business...if you didn't get your ass kicked that is....
Its not really that way,

Rex is a super nice guy, I can see why people like him, very personably, and a big part is his fanbase, they are different segment of shooter for the most part. So I am being conscious of the fact we have different segments of shooters out there.

I made it through the first day without anyone but maybe 3 guys knowing who I was. Rex realized it after lunch who I was, as I only introduced myself as Frank from Denver and nothing else. On day two he introduced me to the students as Frank from SH, but he didn't really know and said so, until his buddy Jessie told him who I was.
So, you were sort of a secret shopper?

I'm not trying to throw shade here, but it does appear that he IS using your likeness to promote his classes... If I didn't know anything I'd say that the fagbook post makes it look like an endorsement.

I got a similar impression when I saw the post, but it was a quick, "hey can we can get a pix" on my way out the door.

I was pretty clear on the podcast about my experience if you take it as an endorsement, that is your fault.

As far as secret shopping, I have been to many classes, I went to Gunsite in March, and have taken other classes. The goal is not to be a secret but hope to pick up a new way of addressing an issue, or seeing how students react to the material presented by others. There is always something to learn. If it was the best class I have taken I would have said.

I have seen the drama associated with Rex a lot over the past years, and not only on this site. I have no dog in the game and in fact actually watch his occasional video although am careful what information I take from them. Not that it matters at all but I am curious what his military background is. Again I am perfectly fine with learning from guys who have not served. But he occasionally makes references to being in yet nowhere on his website does it say so or what he did if anything overseas. Not trying to stir the pot here genuinely curious to as if anyone knows.

So...has anyone ever seen or met Rex at a match? He does seem like he would be a nice guy...however...

While I would never say that competition is the end-all be-all of everything (certainly doesn't make you a good teacher); to create an internet mythos about your shooting ability without actually competing against the best marksmen out there (in the civilian world) doesn't seem quite right to me. If you're really that good why don't you win a bunch of matches?

I would have to think there would be nothing better for your business...if you didn't get your ass kicked that is....

So, you were sort of a secret shopper?

I'm not trying to throw shade here, but it does appear that he IS using your likeness to promote his classes... If I didn't know anything I'd say that the fagbook post makes it look like an endorsement.

Well you’ll probably never see me at a match either.

I’ll take a beautiful spot out in the woods or desert by myself or with a couple of friends and some cigars and refreshments any day over some event with someone timing me going against dudes with 20# pea shooters.

I do competitive fly casting.
That’s plenty competition for me.

As far as secret shopping, I have been to many classes, I went to Gunsite in March, and have taken other classes. The goal is not to be a secret but hope to pick up a new way of addressing an issue, or seeing how students react to the material presented by others. There is always something to learn.
I teach fly casting.
I’ve gone to classes and seminars often and learned nothing about the casting but it was totally worth the effort as I learned some new teaching methods/strategies.

Teaching something is harder than many think.

Working through egos and insecurities.

Trying to talk to engineers.

Finding that common speak for a difficult student.

Keeping individual students on track in a groups environment.

Reactions: acudaowner
Well this thread took an interesting turn.

Didn't expect to see frank in a pic with this guy by the end of the thread.

I have seen the drama associated with Rex a lot over the past years, and not only on this site. I have no dog in the game and in fact actually watch his occasional video although am careful what information I take from them. Not that it matters at all but I am curious what his military background is. Again I am perfectly fine with learning from guys who have not served. But he occasionally makes references to being in yet nowhere on his website does it say so or what he did if anything overseas. Not trying to stir the pot here genuinely curious to as if anyone knows.

I'm pretty sure he's never been in the miltary.

He was in Big Army,

He relates stories that have something to do with an artillery unit and a lot of his reference stuff comes from Artillery Manuals.

I think he was a logistics or support company in an Arty Unit, he even mentioned Fort Sill

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
He was in Big Army,

He relates stories that have something to do with an artillery unit and a lot of his reference stuff comes from Artillery Manuals.

I think he was a logistics or support company in an Arty Unit, he even mentioned Fort Sill
Thanks for the clarification. That's about what I assumed. I've had people flat out tell me he never served and is lying, but I just assumed he is a humble guy and never felt the need to mention it. I think he is a nice guy. A bit of a kooky conspiracy theorist but nice nonetheless.

This thread is so full of awesome! Thank you, Frank!

I'm certainly no fan boy, but I give him credit for furthering our cause (Gun Rights).

I for one am glad that he is using his platform (YouTube Specifically) to introduce the new shooter to precision concepts (for free I might add). And, for being a staunch ally in the fight for firearms freedoms.

Last edited:
I listened to the podcast @lowlight , and I commend you for your restraint and how you voiced your criticism constructively.

@Steel head fly casting, or precision shooting, or advanced freefall, or whatever the avocation these are psychomotor skills. I've gone about as far as you can go teaching scuba and probably certified a thousand divers at all levels (from basic open water to technical closed circuit in an overhead environment). I know a thing or two about teaching and shaping psychomotor skills.

Trying to create a lecture only class when the subject matter has a large psychomotor element would only be suited to the most advanced level curriculum and theory rather than the most basic. You mentioned Litz in the podcast, and that's exactly how I see his classes, as advanced theory rather than something that an entry level shooter would get anything out of, because they haven't even thought to ask the questions he addresses.

Logistically it's a hell of a lot easier to develop a lecture series, that can be done in any classroom/conference room, than it is to actually teach the basics in the field. This goes doubly for something that requires as much space as a precision rifle class, and you're not going to be close to a population center where you can draw on a bunch of potential students.

Anyway, I get it, and thought you did a good job of critiquing it without sounding huffy. I wouldn't have even attempted it.

I'm interested to hear what Frank has to say after he attended his training seminar last weekend.

Well you’ll probably never see me at a match either.

I’ll take a beautiful spot out in the woods or desert by myself or with a couple of friends and some cigars and refreshments any day over some event with someone timing me going against dudes with 20# pea shooters.

I do competitive fly casting.
That’s plenty competition for me.

Fucking A

Rex has a weird accent. New England or maybe Canada, eh? Anyhooo, I've never had a problem with him. It's a channel I can change to girl fights instead. For some reason Youtuby always suggests those for me... Get in the wagon...

Yeah if you could PM me your location and contact info. Asking for a friend, ?