• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing tikka 308 wont shoot 155 smk ?

cjmac1988

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2013
so iv tried everything to make my t3 lite shoot 155 smk and it just won't do it . i have no idea why. it loves 150 sst , 168 hornady and sierra . just not the 155 . and its not the palma bullet, iv tried RL15 , imr 4064 . different OAL . so what would be the cause of it not liking this grain bullet ? .... sucks i have 2 boxes of them

Sometimes no matter what ya try the rifle doesn't like the bullet. Can take basically the same bullet with slight difference and it shoots. Could try vv150 or one of the 4350's. Just never know. But with 2 boxes by time shoot ladders and then test not sure would be worth it. Think I would stick with the 168's if likes them.

It's cause Tikka's suck. :) Just ask the boys over at Bench Rest Central... :)

J/K.

Might try this:

Varget has run well with 155's for a looooong time.

47 grains is a pretty standard "starting load" for palma shooters.

Start at 45 and move up is probably safer. No sense hurting yourself or the gun. . .

Chad,

LOL..........Alinwa is a personal friend of mine, and though he is highly opinionated (and really likes his own opinion), he is a genuine experimenter, and although not always right, I have to respect him for being thick-skinned and bold enough to try and help out even at the risk of looking like a fool. Some of his opinions don't follow the status quo, but it shows that he's thinking "out of the box".
Here's hoping that you don't hold this against him, and I assume that your statement was meant to be tongue in cheek.
BTW, I love your posts and the many photos you share. Here's hoping you will continue to bombard us with more as there haven't been as many of late.

Mark V.B. aka longrange

tikka 308 wont shoot 155 smk ?

I haven't tried the 155 SMKs but the Lapua Scenars and Hornady Amax seem to work really well out of my a Tikka. Loading with N540 at 44 grns . . . they're grouping and hitting better than the 168 SMKS. I give the edge to the Amax, really.

Sorry, realized I didn't address your question. What charge weights have you tried? It seems to me that close to max or close to minimum charges work best with the 155s I have tried.

Last edited: