• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 280AI project

huckjare

Minuteman
Mar 12, 2009
Idaho
So I am selling my full custom 260AI to free up some funds for other projects. I have been toying with the idea of building a 280AI out of a 7mm-08. From what I can see this should not be an issue with a good smith. Basically just ream it out to a 280AI. The main reason for building it on a Tikka T3 action is I can get a 7mm-08 with basically a long action since all Tikkas have the same action length. I would need to get a new mag, but besides that I should be golden, I think. Any pointer or anything I am missing? I am thinking about getting the super lite which weighs in less than 6 pounds. That would be the ultimate mountain rifle. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Nobody has attempted this? I had a reply from a guy on another forum that did almost the same thing on a Tikka with 6.5x55 and converted it to a 6.5x284. He said it was a half minute rifle. I was just hoping someone had done this on a 7mm-08.

I wish I had the $$ right now to do up a Tikka. Got too many irons in the fire between 2 savage builds and a Rem 700 (on top of refurbing a couple old shotties amongst other things). It sounds on paper that it should be just fine. Just get all the bits for a 270/30-06 mag and get the barrel punched out and I think you should be GTG. But I am a hack gunsmith with out a proper lathe so take it for what it is. I think its only what, a half inch ± on the chamber length?

Sounds like a great project. I have a T3 in 7mm-08 and am just in the "get to know you" phase but really like it. My only thought other than ream and new magazine is I think you have to file the bolt stop or get a new one. Seems to me I recall that the short action (even though its not a short action) bolt doesn't go back far enough. Tikkashooters has a video.

Get started and post pics! SHould be a killer combination.

I had the same thoughts of building a light weight rig last spring. I was tired of hiking a 12.5 pound rifle through the mountains. After a lot of research I choose a tikka lite in 7mm rem mag. I added a break, a limbsaver and I duracoated it. I hand load and shoot 140 hunting vlds. This rifle is unbelievable. 1/2 MOA out to 600, and 1 MOA out to 1000. I've attached a pic of a six shot group on a 12 inch gong at 1050yds, and the elk I took at 352yds a month ago. I think your project would be money. Do it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 44
I had the same thoughts of building a light weight rig last spring. I was tired of hiking a 12.5 pound rifle through the mountains. After a lot of research I choose a tikka lite in 7mm rem mag. I added a break, a limbsaver and I duracoated it. I hand load and shoot 140 hunting vlds. This rifle is unbelievable. 1/2 MOA out to 600, and 1 MOA out to 1000. I've attached a pic of a six shot group on a 12 inch gong at 1050yds, and the elk I took at 352yds a month ago. I think your project would be money. Do it!

dang. Nice shooting soldier.

I had looked at a similar build, was gonna punch a 7-08 to 7x57AI, but Winchester came out with the 7x57 M70 so I opted for that.

Like you mentioned, all Tikkas have the same size action, and all of the mags will fit any of the stocks and BM.

Just some thoughts.

7mm08 Tikka comes with a 22" 1:9.5 bbl

Not sure how the 280AI will perform with a 22" bbl, but the 7x64 Brenneke usually comes with a 22" bbl

Speer, Hornady, Remington and Norma make brass ready to go for the 7x64. Nolser for the 280AI

Internal magazine length of the Tikka(long) is 3.373" both the 280AI and 7x64 would have room

A Tikka 7mm mag will have more punch and is barreled with a 24" 1:9.5

I also have one of these(Tikka 7mag) and with a Leupold 3-9x40 weighs in at 8.5 lbs.

Tikka does chamber the T3 in 7x64, might want to check with Eurooptic to see if they can import one.

Nosler makes their rifles in 280AI and sells the ammo for it.

http://www.eurooptic.com/7x64-rifles.aspx

http://www.nosler.com/about-nosler-rifles/

Last edited: