• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

thegoodandthegreat

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2013
Auckland, New Zealand
Hi guys,

Im new here but have been visiting the site regularly to soak up all the great information posted. My setup currently is a stock T3 lite with a Bushnell 10x42 tactical. I would like to know what people think about rebarreling the rifle with an Green Mountain 26 inch barrel in their f54 contour, opening up the factory Tikka fore end, and doing a full length bedding job. Would this improve the accuracy a great deal for long range shooting, or would just bedding the stock without the rebarrel do just as good a job? The primary uses for this gun are super precise, mid range hunting eg. within 600 metres and long range target shooting.

Nothing wrong with the tikka t3 barrel, they generally shoot very good. Shoot the barrel until accuracy fades, then get a new one and true the action.
The first thing id change on the T3 lite, is the plastic bolt shroud, plastic floorplate. and the stock witch i do not like. It's just a thin sheet of plastic, the recoil pad is bad and i would be conserned about stock flexing with it especially shooting prone with a bipod that you preload. Last thing to mention is the alu recoil lug is too soft so it will over time be chewed away from use

Thanks for the advice Powermac. I've already replaced the plastic bolt shroud and by the sounds of it all the accuracy issues you have stated could be fixed by a new stock. I was thinking a Bell and carlson just because of the price point compared to the manners or Mcmillan stocks. What is your opinion on this?

I have the lite in 30-06 and 7mm mag and have no accuracy issues with the stock or plastic parts. They usually come at least 1 moa right out of the box, most folks change the parts because of preference rather than necessity. Sure some of the parts are plastic, but unless you plan on dropping your rifle, it should not matter. Couple things to note is NOT to free float the barrel with the standard stock (removing the two barrel dampening nodules), they are there for a reason. Also not to tighten the stock more than 45 in lbs or you will damage the dampeners. Bedding can be useful , but it needs to be done professionally. Just because the recoil lug is free floating, so if the lug is bed incorrectly, accuracy will be worse. One upgrade that is useful is replacing the stock recoil lug with a stainless one. The metal is aluminum and can become deformed on a heavy recoiling rifle.

Take a look at Nathan Foster's website, he is out in your neck of the woods. He wrote a book on long range rifles, and I believe he does some smithing as well.

Knowledgebase

On another note, if you want to really dial that rifle in, start reloading. The Tikka is about the easiest rifle to reload for.

Last edited:
I replaced my T3 Lite stock with a Bell and Carlson and my groups stayed the same as with the factory stock. I do like the overall feel of the Bell and Carlson better than the factory stock.

If you plan to rebarrel, do it right. Put a Bartlien/Krieger/Brux or other barrel on there. You are going to spend the time and money anyway, spend a little more and the rifle will Shoot MUCH better and have a MUCH higher resale value.