Tikka T3 Thread

TripleOrNothing

It's all in the reflexes
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2020
Mobile Alabama
The only issue I've noticed is that you have to pop a fully loaded mag in with a little more force to make sure it's seated. No issues with feeding. I like the CTR mags.

Reactions: Esumter

marauderx33

Private
Minuteman
May 7, 2018
Australia
Has anyone tried running a Tikka in 223 AI with CTR 223 magazines? I’m considering it but would love to know if it will cause any feeding issues.

Gatorshark

kaboom
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2018
I like your setup. After doing some more research I am going to go with a Tikka in 6.5 CM. Now I am just trying to decide between the CTR or a varmint. I also like the KRG Bravo or the x-ray.
CTR without doubt. I'm a little surprised any other manufacturer can even sell a factory rifle with t3x ctr rifles on the street.

Gatorshark

kaboom
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2018
Unless the varmint is available with integrated rail and "metal" bottom metal, the CTR takes the advantage for me. Threaded barrel is cherry on top.

I dont believe there is much, if any, accuracy nor heating advantage to the varmints barrel. CTR is, I think, close to a light palma contour. Plenty heavy for shooting 20 rounds in 20 minutes.

Reactions: gunjunkie45

EddieE

Sergeant
Belligerents
Mar 20, 2017
Unless the varmint is available with integrated rail and "metal" bottom metal, the CTR takes the advantage for me. Threaded barrel is cherry on top.

I dont believe there is much, if any, accuracy nor heating advantage to the varmints barrel. CTR is, I think, close to a light palma contour. Plenty heavy for shooting 20 rounds in 20 minutes.
True, but seems most people take them and stick them in a chassis anyway which negates the bottom metal. Threaded barrel is definitely nice to have. I have heard people having problems changing the scope rail too, so if one wants to do something other than what it came with, might end up with a headache.

Either way, tikkas rock. I don't know why Remington can't produce anything that comes close.

gunjunkie45

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Nov 28, 2009
Wisconsin
True, but seems most people take them and stick them in a chassis anyway which negates the bottom metal. Threaded barrel is definitely nice to have. I have heard people having problems changing the scope rail too, so if one wants to do something other than what it came with, might end up with a headache.

Either way, tikkas rock. I don't know why Remington can't produce anything that comes close.
Rail is actually easy to switch if you know how, otherwise leave it and do a mount with your desired incline. There are several chassis that offer CTR magazines and virtually every stock. CTR mags are actually better than AICS in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: bassmaster07

NewsShooter

Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 14, 2011
I’ve learned that removing the OEM barrel on a T3X is a major, major pain.
Some have had an issue, others not so much. Told a buddy of mine who has little experience with rifles how to do it. He bought a vice and an action wrench. first one came off easy, second one needed a bar and a couple taps with a hammer.

Reactions: CaptNemo

MrBill1954

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2020
Some have had an issue, others not so much. Told a buddy of mine who has little experience with rifles how to do it. He bought a vice and an action wrench. first one came off easy, second one needed a bar and a couple taps with a hammer.
I was wondering about how hard it would be to change the Tikka barrel. I just bought a 308 Tac A1 and realizing I made a mistake going with 308 instead of 6.5

bassmaster07

Private
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2018
I was wondering about how hard it would be to change the Tikka barrel. I just bought a 308 Tac A1 and realizing I made a mistake going with 308 instead of 6.5
They can be a PIA to take off. Although some seem to be not as bad. I had a smith take mine off. He could not get it off without messing up the finish. But he got it off without needing a relief cut on the barrel.

Woodwreck

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2020
Went to my local gun store today looking for my first Tikka in 6.5 CM and they had a CTR in a 20" barrel and a varmint in a 24". Not sure how much velosity I will loose in 20" vs 24"? Any thoughts?

k-space

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2020
Tikka barrels are known for being a little slow, so I'd lean toward the 24 inch barrel. I'm guessing the extra 4 inches might provide an additional 75-100 fps, but others may have more accurate info.

Reactions: Woodwreck

viking78

Private
Belligerents
Jul 6, 2011
FINLAND
Went to my local gun store today looking for my first Tikka in 6.5 CM and they had a CTR in a 20" barrel and a varmint in a 24". Not sure how much velosity I will loose in 20" vs 24"? Any thoughts?
Factory barrels are a bit slower than custom barrel, like Krieger on my Tikka, but it aint nothing too bad.
I made a small video of it once.
+20 m/s for Krieger.

20" CTR barrel aint bad either, i like it, since i use suppressor, it is not getting too long.
And it still delivers 123gr Scenar to +700 yards with out problems.

saunders45

Private
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2020
IMG_3771.jpg

It's not as fancy as some of ya'lls setups, but it's quite an upgrade from my TC Compass I sold earlier this year! Still waiting on my YHM Resonator R2, and need to get a bipod, but it's close!

Tikka CTR 6.5CM 20"
Vortex PST II 5-25 EBR7C
KRG Bravo
Vortex Pro Low Rings
YHM Muzzle Break (Resonator R2 Pending)

Last edited:

Cclary60

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2020
Arkansas
I took my new T3X to have the factory barrel removed and a Proof pre-fit barrel installed this week.

I’ll update with the difficulty level from the gunsmith since the factory OEM barrels are known to take tons of foot pounds of torque to remove.

I did tell him to relief cut the barrel if needed since I doubt a “lite” factory barrel is worth anything.

Semper_Fi

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2020
Yeah the Vortex Pro rings, low height. Gonna take it out and shoot it for the first time this weekend.
Excellent haven’t shot mine either but did put a BLK LBL bipod, amazing machining on that.

Have been struggling with the scope set up due to the 1000’s of options and variables but definitely like your selection

cant wait to get mine ready for the range

Harman117

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2018
Ohio
Snapchat-424503273.jpg

My barrel came off with little fuss. This newer Tikka T3X had a good bit of anti-seize on the threads.

Sold the stainless 6.5 Creedmoor barrel for $150, was worth NOT making a relief cut for me.

Edit: I may have posted this pic earlier, I can't remember.

PSA: In general, I would not be scared of removing a new Tikka T3X barrel. (If you are competent)

Last edited:

Harman117

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2018
Ohio
I would have salvaged my T3X lite barrel and resold if it hadn’t been a pencil barrel and worthless on the secondary market.
Mine was the lite sporter profile. Since Tikkas are fairly accurate, just about any of the factory take offs can be reused on a different Tikka. They're not quite as worthless as one might assume. (Caliber dependent of course)

Tritiumdials

Private
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2020
Any suggestions on how to remove the picatinny rail section from the stock of a Tac A1 to install the Mountain Tactical Bag Rider? Seems like a pin a staked in place.

Tomiboy

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 24, 2019
Mine came right off with an allen wrench. The pin is more like a guide
Just pull and twist a bit after the screws are out

EddieE

Sergeant
Belligerents
Mar 20, 2017
Are most of you guys using polymer mags with you chassis or prefer the metal mags? I have a polymer, thinking about buying a metal one. Is there a benefit?

Triggerf16

Private
Belligerents
Dec 7, 2011
I’m looking for Tikka T3x prefit barrels in 20 cal. Specifically 20 VarTarg. Anyone know of a source for chambered barrels? Preferably a shouldered prefit?

Thanks

Tritiumdials

Private
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2020
Any leads on replacement cheek pads for the Tac A1? I'd like to experiment with a little bit of cant (heat gun and twisting it outwards) but would like a spare to get back to factory specs in case I mess up

Sokam101

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2020
What stocks or chassis should I consider for next season im new and want to shoot a few PRS matches with my tikka ctr?

James Staub

Private
Belligerents
Feb 23, 2017
North Dakota
What stocks or chassis should I consider for next season im new and want to shoot a few PRS matches with my tikka ctr?
To provide you with a more detailed answer I believe more information is needed from you regarding what your budget for this particular item is? Do you have a preference between a stock and a chassis?

Sokam101

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2020
To provide you with a more detailed answer I believe more information is needed from you regarding what your budget for this particular item is? Do you have a preference between a stock and a chassis?
I don't really have a preference besides hopefully resale. I'm just getting into it. So I would like to learn on this rifle before I get a custom gun. Then I'll sell evenings and move my vortex Razer gen 2 over