• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

Does the sterk bolt shroud have any performance increase or is it just nicer/look better than the factory T3X shroud?

Is there any value in a sporter stock , iv been waiting to get a left hand ctr 223 but i have found a sporter I really don't want to fork out that much for basically a barred action

RRA LAR-8 out, T3X Tac A1 in.
First shooting was unbelivable, group sizes(5rnds)) were less than 0,45MOA. All of then.
Ammo was factory 168gr OTM.

Edit. Distance was 150m not 200m

Last edited:
Got my Tikka T3X CTR all set up!

KRG Bravo Stock
Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x50 in Seekins Rings
Mountain Tactical Trigger Spring
8D06E620-73F6-4375-9621-B7FDD467184C.jpeg

Anybody have a KRG bravo (tan would be awesome) that they would be interested in trading for an Oryx chassis? I just want to try something different.

Edit: for a short action. I'm debating just trying to sell my Oryx but I haven't qualified for the FS section yet.

Just chrono’d my new CTR stainless 24” 6.5CM with a suppressor on. Shooting 140gr RDF at 2600ft/s with 41.7gr of RL-16. My previous CTR shot 2930ft/s, same barrel length except blued not stainless. Kind of pissed at how freaking slow this barrel is, and I only expect it to speed up maybe <100ft/s if it behaves like the previous. Might just pull it and sell it then spin on a PVA.

Just chrono’d my new CTR stainless 24” 6.5CM with a suppressor on. Shooting 140gr RDF at 2600ft/s with 41.7gr of RL-16. My previous CTR shot 2930ft/s, same barrel length except blued not stainless. Kind of pissed at how freaking slow this barrel is, and I only expect it to speed up maybe <100ft/s if it behaves like the previous. Might just pull it and sell it then spin on a PVA.

Wow, that's a huge difference. Both 24" barrels?

Sorry, it's a 6.5 Creedmoor.

I actually stumbled across the Tract TORIC UHD 4.5-30X56 34MM FFP MRAD ELR Extreme Long Range Rifle Scope while doing a lot of research, the Vortex Strike Eagle is really no longer a consideration but my only concern is the warranty on Tract products.

Tract has a "Gentleman's warranty" whereas Vortex straight out will warranty the thing with no questions asked... Obviously, I'm never going to intentionally damage my scope but based on the warranty alone, this might place me looking at a RAZOR HD GEN II 4.5-27X56 FFP.

A company's warranty speaks volumes to me about the quality of their products, and thus my purchase decisions.

I also have the SJC Titan PRS en route for the muzzle brake, I am thinking of having the bolt and the brake TiN - Rose plated.

I am thinking that I will be ordering a custom barrel for this fairly soon, 27" to 28", I literally want the heaviest contour barrel I can, I want the weight. what's the closest to no contour you can get?

I have been looking into manufacturers, I know there is Proof, there is Bartline, Prefered Barrel Blanks,

Any opinions or input/experience/advice with any of those? any better for the money options?
I have the same tract on my tikka 223, love it! I had the 4-20 but sold it for this one and they have quickly become one of my favorite optics. Very hard to beat for the money.

Reactions: Alex.Jones.SLC
I’m running berger 140, SP starline brass and 42.8gr H4350, I’ve chrono’d this load in 3 other rifles, a factory ruger, and 2 customs, all were 2795-2805 and shot the same .25-.4” groups.
Fast forward to my tikka, same groups, but running 2730.

not as slow as yours, but still slower. I seem to have less issues with pressure as well. My ruger Would flatten the primer just a hair but it doesn’t happen in the tikka. It’s not slow enough to make me want to change the barrel with it shooting so accurately

Got ye chance to mount a scope and shoot my 20” CTR in .308 this weekend. I grabbed a box of Berger 175OTM to shoot and it was very accurate and speed was average of 2560fps from the LabRadar.

Ordered my first long range rifle. I had looked for a bit and decided I was going with a Finnish gun.

Ended up finding a great deal on a TAC A1 20” 308. I would have ordered a 24” 6.5 or 260 but figured for the savings, I could learn on this one and find a barrel later.

have a pretty good idea what scope I want. The bipod is an open question for me. After a quick look around, a Magpul with a MLOK mount seems the most graceful solution. I had originally thought I would get a Harris and make a few mods but the interface just adds another part I need and potential for issues.

the next issue is finding some match ammo in stock to start finding what it likes.

thanks for any input!

Bart

Ordered my first long range rifle. I had looked for a bit and decided I was going with a Finnish gun.

Ended up finding a great deal on a TAC A1 20” 308. I would have ordered a 24” 6.5 or 260 but figured for the savings, I could learn on this one and find a barrel later.

have a pretty good idea what scope I want. The bipod is an open question for me. After a quick look around, a Magpul with a MLOK mount seems the most graceful solution. I had originally thought I would get a Harris and make a few mods but the interface just adds another part I need and potential for issues.

the next issue is finding some match ammo in stock to start finding what it likes.

thanks for any input!

Bart
Check out the BLK LBL handguard? maybe an option for ya?

Anybody here have a T3X / Manners (MCS) combo they're happy with ? I'm thinking about doing one in a PRS1/mini chassis (AICS mags). Just curious about if there's any feeding issues. Might do one in a Proof CF 6.5 Creed ...

Thanks for all responses...

TP...

One more thing - In my opinion - Tikka should kill the UPR name and just call it the CTR Mod2 . Its clearly just a CTR in a better stock. And drop the CTR all together.

Also offer the T3X action and trigger as a builders kit in choices of 0 or 20moa scope bases. They would sell like hotcakes...

TP...

Last edited:
One more thing - In my opinion - Tikka should kill the UPR name and just call it the CTR Mod2 . Its clearly just a CTR in a better stock. And drop the CTR all together.

Also offer the T3X action and trigger as a builders kit in choices of 0 or 20moa scope bases. They would sell like hotcakes...

TP...
Only if they do lefties at the same time.

The bipod is an open question for me. After a quick look around, a Magpul with a MLOK mount seems the most graceful solution. I had originally thought I would get a Harris and make a few mods but the interface just adds another part I need and potential for issues.

An Atlas bipod on a piece of rail that attaches to the sling clip is not the cheapest solution but IMO is the best unless you want to upgrade to a chassis or different stock.

TP...

Would only agree if they also sold bare barreled actions, or reduced the upr price.

You can buy a ctr and a bravo for less than a UPR

Reactions: MC56
Just picked up a T3X Stainless in 6.5 CM and besides replacing the bolt handle I am thinking about replacing the stock, what stock would you guys recommend for hunting?

I just finished the chassis part of my first Tikka PRS PRoject, It started off as a T3x Lite veil wideland rifle to get the 24" threaded barrel, I was originally planning on going with the CTR for $100 less and getting the non fluted stainless barrel, but the availability recently has been horrible over the last few months.

I have installed it in the MDT ACC Chassis, while I was performing the changeover I upgraded the trigger spring to the M*Carbo Tikka T3 / T3x Trigger spring kit and I must say it is one of the lightest triggers I have ever felt on a rifle, I may adjust it up a bit from where it is at.

I ordered the MDT 20 MOA rail which I was pleased to find included the lug and then I mounted my 10x42 SWFA scope on it, I have new Vortex rings coming for the setup, and eventually the optics are going to be upgraded, but I should be able to have some good fun with it until I get to that point, I'll be waiting for the tract toric 4.5-30x56 in MOA which they are announcing next month and releasing in December, Unless someone knows of a radically better scope for the money?

Also the bipod will be getting upgraded to the CYKE-Pod down the road, the weaver is just there for the time being attached to a M-Lok mounting point.

Anyways Thought I'd show off my new rifle build, always looking for any feedback as this is my first PRS rifle build.

View attachment 7440095
Any idea how much you got into that rifle without the scope and rings?

Anybody here have a T3X / Manners (MCS) combo they're happy with ? I'm thinking about doing one in a PRS1/mini chassis (AICS mags). Just curious about if there's any feeding issues. Might do one in a Proof CF 6.5 Creed ...

Thanks for all responses...

TP...
I have a prs1/mini chassis and love it. Mine is a short mag with no feeding problems.

Reactions: TacticalPlinker
Very happy with my 20” 6.5 Creedmoor CTR. Today was my third time taking it out. Did one six shot group at 100 yards (.63”) then moved to steel. The range only goes to 800 yards and this rifle makes it too easy. Targets are 20x40 steel silhouettes.
D7D80CD7-491E-4524-9DB2-AD14E33A3E78.jpeg

Reactions: DangerRanger
For a hunting stock, GRS bifrost is a nice option, it will fit a large barrel if need to in the future

Attachments

• 20190911_180023.jpg
    20190911_180023.jpg
    661.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 20190911_180054.jpg
    20190911_180054.jpg
    725 KB · Views: 171
  • 20191012_124324.jpg
    20191012_124324.jpg
    691.5 KB · Views: 142
For competition, J-allen for Tikka are very nice. It feeds very smooth and I use the MDT magazine as my barricade stop, with no feeding issues.

Attachments

• 20200903_163024.jpg
    20200903_163024.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 148
If anyone is of thinking of a budget friendly barrel, preferred barrel blanks shouldered prefit for the Tikka might be a good option. I've had great results and fit in two of my barrels, it shot really well out of my Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor. Was able to shoot a half inch 5 round group at 200 yards. 26" barrel, 140 eld-m, 40gr of h4350, at 2740 fps. Light load, but it's what I use for matches, sd is 6 fps 12 rounds string.

Reactions: 260284 and tbx
IMG_2106.JPGIMG_2107.JPG
TacticalPlinker,
This is my CTR 6.5CM in a PRS1 with the Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x. I had the barrel cut down to 17" and will be changing from the current Surefire suppressor break to an APA Gen 3 Little Bastard. This is a work sniper rifle, which is why I shortened the barrel for portability and using a scope with 2.5x for a wide view. I've made consistent hits on steel at 700 yards in 15 - 18 mph cross winds using Hornady 147g ELD Match. Sellier & Bellot 140g FMJ is the most accurate round out of my setup. I'm using 10 round Accurate Mags, 10 round metal Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle mags and have had 100% feed reliability with the built in Manners Mini Chassis (DBM). The Tikka T3X + Manners PRS1 combo is a great setup.

I'd actually like to take a T3X Tac A1 out of it's metal chassis and put it in a PRS1. I recall the Tac A1's had polished barrels of a heavier profile than the CTR. All of that would lead to improved accuracy. A T3X Varmint might be even more accurate. My next step might be to have custom Bartlein 5R M24 contour barrel in 24" cut and installed in the action, after I retire.

Hope this helps,
DC

I have a prs1/mini chassis and love it. Mine is a short mag with no feeding problems.
Would you mind saying what chambering you are using and your coal on your bullet to feed through the mini chassis? Im gathering parts for a 7 saum build and have been wishing the prs with mini chassis system allowed a longer coal than the magazines used with the manners mini chassis seem to allow.

Just for thought if anyone is trying to build a Tikka. You can find a good deal on a Tikka t3x with a light barrel at around $550 to $670 or even used for less and a custom barrel for under $450. All you really need is the action and the bolt to your ideal chamber. I pretty much removed everything that makes my Tikka ctr a ctr and only reused the bolt action. I felt like it was a waste to take a ctr apart, I could just imagine how much more taking a tac a1 apart. Tac a1, ctr, t3x light, t3x varmint, etc. are all t3x action.

Last edited:
Just for thought if anyone is trying to build a Tikka. You can find a good deal on a Tikka t3x with a light barrel or even used and a custom barrel for under $450. All you really need is the action and the bolt to your ideal chamber. I pretty much removed everything that makes my Tikka ctr a ctr and only reused the bolt action. I felt like it was a waste to take a ctr apart, I could just imagine how much more taking a tac a1 apart.

where are you seeing used t3x for $450

I'm just sharing my experience with the Tikka. People here had sold just the action for $400 to $500, I'm pretty sure you might get lucky and find a used one locally to your location. I'm just sharing that if you plan on building one and take it apart, don't get the higher end models and remove all the parts you paid extra for. I was one of those people who paid extra on parts that I ended up removing and not using.

This is my experience with preferred barrel blanks at 100 yards. Picture is 8 round group and I'm positive that it was me with the one round below. Front bipod and rear bag. I've had 1/2 inch 5 round group at 200 yards with this barrel. Furthest was 1200 yards during a match and it shoots well.

Attachments

• 20200904_134624.jpg
    20200904_134624.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 70
Question. What dimension barrel would I need to get for a T3x? Looking at Bartlein and see 1.250". Just want to make sure I don't go buy one and get the wrong size.

I don't know if this will help you, but this is the measurement from preferred barrel blanks with my current barrel directly from their site. I have not measure my own barrel, but the size of my barrel from them is a great fit to the Tikka
Screenshot_20201025-191449_Samsung Internet.jpg

The size I have seen on my barrel is about 1.125. If you go 1.250 your barrel will have a larger diameter than you want and it will look weird with a gap between the action and the barrel due to the chamfered end of the action. IIRC carbon 6 and proof offer 1.15 and 1.135. I cant remeber which one is which, but probably anywhere in that range probably work. I would call and talk to a person on the phone to order if they dont specifically offer a Tikka contour on their website.