• New Site Changes

View thread We just went through a pretty major site upgrade, so if you see any issues feel free to post them here

Tikka T3 Thread

OG10

SME
PX Member
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2012
Texas
Sporters, toss up. I also had a T4 with a ctr the whole idea on that was to add weight for my neice, it almost worked. : )

kennyfisher4413

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2009
Ashville, OH
Looking at doing a Tikka build. When choosing a rifle in the T3X line does is the action the same from model to model? Trying to figure out what is the best base model to build off of. Thanks

Reactions: LeftyJason

kmdn_crew

Private
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2018
Looking at doing a Tikka build. When choosing a rifle in the T3X line does is the action the same from model to model? Trying to figure out what is the best base model to build off of. Thanks

I believe a T3X is a T3X. I know my friend that did a build used literally the base model T3X compact.

LeftyJason

Thumbnail-les
Supporter
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2017
    Kaysville Utah
    And magazine, too. What caliber is your friend looking to shoot ?
    Magazine doesn't matter for the action. That is more of a factor of bottom metal/ stock/ chassis. Anything can be changed to anything else.

You can take a lite and stick it in a CTR stock with ctr bottom metal and it works. Or take a CTR or tac a1 and stick it in a lite stock or AICS chassis and it works.

Raffy

PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 14, 2020
    Southern Utah
    Magazine doesn't matter for the action. That is more of a factor of bottom metal/ stock/ chassis. Anything can be changed to anything else.

You can take a lite and stick it in a CTR stock with ctr bottom metal and it works. Or take a CTR or tac a1 and stick it in a lite stock or AICS chassis and it works.
    You are absolutely right. My point was not well explained. If he is building a saum or 6.5 prc and reloading his own bullets (and plans on keeping the standard stock mags) he is going to want to start with a 7rm or 300wm that can run those calibers longer than mag length and wont have to mess with switching out bolt stop/mags because those will work from the start OR if he is planning a short action caliber and wants to have a 10 rd magazine and wants to keep that capacity and run something like a krg bravo, it will benefit him to start with a CTR.
    Im just asking to try and help save the guy time and money.

LeftyJason

Thumbnail-les
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2017
    Kaysville Utah
    You are absolutely right. My point was not well explained. If he is building a saum or 6.5 prc and reloading his own bullets (and plans on keeping the standard stock mags) he is going to want to start with a 7rm or 300wm that can run those calibers longer than mag length and wont have to mess with switching out bolt stop/mags because those will work from the start OR if he is planning a short action caliber and wants to have a 10 rd magazine and wants to keep that capacity and run something like a krg bravo, it will benefit him to start with a CTR.
    Im just asking to try and help save the guy time and money.
    This whole thing was why I put together this post a couple years ago.
    https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/tikka-t3-thread.6252615/post-7301418
    Yes it is better to start close to what you want but some things are easier to change than others. It's nice to know that from the beginning.

Raffy

PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 14, 2020
    Southern Utah

6172crew!

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 23, 2014
    NM
    I bought a Desert Tech SRSa1 and was thinking about swapping the barrel on my CTRx to a 6mm. I’m running a KRG chassis and AI mags as well as modified Magpul magazines. Can I use these magazines with a 6BRA or do they need to be modified to work in my rifle?

Raffy

PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 14, 2020
    Southern Utah
    If you have been running them already and have fed the rounds successfully before it shouldnt be an issue as long as the mags attach and feed to the bolt fine between the two stocks/chassis. Otherwise if your unsure I would check with the companies who make your specific magazines about the bullets you want to shoot.

Gunner2590

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 20, 2020
    They are Seekins high rings. Low did not get even close to fitting. Medium-high may work but the highs with vortex defender caps leaves a comfortable but not excessive gap.

Alex.Jones.SLC

Private
    Minuteman
    Sep 24, 2020
    Any idea how much you got into that rifle without the scope and rings?

Sorry for the delayed response, work's been nuts lately.

Breakdown of the rifle is:
    • $1,999.00 for the donor rifle for the barrel and action
    • $1,099.95 for the MDT ACC Chassis
    • $49.95 for the MDT Vertical Grip
    • $69.99 for the MDT 20 MOA Picatinny Scope Base
    • $39.95 for the MDT Polymer Magazines
    • $190.05 for the SJC Customs SJC PRS Comp
    This is all sans tax.

Future planned items will be:
    Glass - No clue where I'm going there thinking TORIC UHD 4.5-30X56 34MM FFP MRAD or the RAZOR® HD GEN II 4.5-27X56 FFP
    Upgraded barrel - 28"? 6.5 Creedmoor or possibly go to 6 Creedmoor

Reactions: louu

Alex.Jones.SLC

Private
    Minuteman
    Sep 24, 2020
    Just picked up a T3X Stainless in 6.5 CM and besides replacing the bolt handle I am thinking about replacing the stock, what stock would you guys recommend for hunting?

3.9lbs.

louu

The only NON methhead in NJ
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 4, 2020
    Sorry for the delayed response, work's been nuts lately.

Breakdown of the rifle is:
    • $1,999.00 for the donor rifle for the barrel and action
    • $1,099.95 for the MDT ACC Chassis
    • $49.95 for the MDT Vertical Grip
    • $69.99 for the MDT 20 MOA Picatinny Scope Base
    • $39.95 for the MDT Polymer Magazines
    • $190.05 for the SJC Customs SJC PRS Comp
    This is all sans tax.

Future planned items will be:
    Glass - No clue where I'm going there thinking TORIC UHD 4.5-30X56 34MM FFP MRAD or the RAZOR® HD GEN II 4.5-27X56 FFP
    Upgraded barrel - 28"? 6.5 Creedmoor or possibly go to 6 Creedmoor
    That's awesome, thanks bud

Reactions: Alex.Jones.SLC

louu

The only NON methhead in NJ
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 4, 2020
    Here is a tikka buying guide 101 condensed from my own research and reading this whole giant thread and other tikka threads. The 2 most important criteria is action options and bolt face (changing that is $400).

T3x action you have 4 options. (note all are same length)
    Blued righty
    Blued lefty
    Stainless righty
    Stainless lefty

Bolt face you have 3 options.
    308ish
    Magnum

Bolt stop length is a part that can be changed.

Barrel options are generally 4 as well
    Blued thin (2.5-3ish contour) non thread (9/16 at most possible)
    Stainless thin (same) non thread (same)
    Blued heavier (light Palma per @bohem ) threaded
    Stainless heavier (same) threaded

Trigger you generally have 2 options
    Two stage trigger (Tac A1 only AFAIK)
    Excellent single stage (all others. Some change out with a $10 trigger spring. Fewer change out to a different trigger. This ain't like Remingtons)

Note from all that I have seen here in this thread the factory barrels all shoot great. Barrels are chf and pretty much same as Sako. Some may be a little slow (per @Lowlight and a few others). Also they may be throated a little long from what I have heard.

Magazines you have 2 options.
    CTR pattern 5 or 10 (Tac A1 and CTR only. 10's come with. Extra 10's cost on par with steel aics)
    Basic tikka flush fit sized

Note most chassis only fit short action aics only. Somebody somewhere on the hide went through and created the spreadsheet attached. If I remembered who I'd credit.

Magpul aics Do Not work with any tikka without Extensive filing of feed lips which makes them prone to troubles.

Tikkas generally do not need blueprinting work. The general consensus is you could but why waste the money? Aftermarket pre-fit barrels are made by a few different companies.

Pic rail.
    CTR and tac a1 come with 0 moa rail. Rail pretty much has to be removed with heat of some sort (clothes iron or blow torch and then scraping off residue.)
    Actions come with a dovetail that spuhr (and maybe a few others) makes stuff that fits. 20, 30, and I think 40's are available. (Currently no tac a1 specific slanted rails exist that match fore end.)

Bolt handles are dovetailed in. Swept are available from some. Metal shrouds are available as well. Reviews and pictures are in this thread. Aftermarket are available from
    Sterk (@cannoncrossfire )
    Glades armory
    Anarchy outdoors
    Mountain tactical (tikkaperformance.com)

When you are looking at tikka and you are in the USA, make sure you are looking at the en-US site. http://www.tikka.fi/en-us/rifles

It is tempting to look at the other international site http://www.tikka.fi/rifles but they don't import alot of those options.

Aug 2019 edit
    Aftermarket trigger options
    Yodave spring or similar $10
    Krg midas 2 stage trigger top safety $289
    Timney 430 2 stage trigger. $248

March 2020 edit. Krg Bravo is now available with ctr mag fit.

Oct 2020 update.
    If you want to have an aftermarket 2 stage trigger on a left handed tikka you will need to get a slot milled in the right side for the safety.

Www.Choose.tikka.fi/usa shows lots of great options but per a conversation with the Beretta Dallas flagship store they won't order anything in that ends in MTB. Stupid teasing. The ones that they import start with JRT

Hope this helps. If anybody knows more about other options chime in.
    Awesome post, thank you!

Reactions: Alex.Jones.SLC

MC56

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 24, 2019

Blackrifle1

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 1, 2012
    Las Vegas, NV
    I gotta get a Tikka T3x....I have 2 friends with Tikka's and the actions are like buttery smooth! My Remington 700 isn't even in the same universe compared to the Tikka

Jgunner

Major Hide Member
    Hessian
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jul 29, 2019
    Arizona
    Lil coues deer. My t3 17” 6.5cm downs another. Did i mention i love berger bullets? Damn things are grenades on game.

Attachments

• 362CA9AD-8537-482E-B109-F5143630860C.png
      362CA9AD-8537-482E-B109-F5143630860C.png
      6.7 MB · Views: 66

khuber84

Aim small, miss small
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 29, 2008
    Montana
    If you want a carbon barrel they need to make it that way from the initial production before they wrap it also.
    This isn't totally true. Pederson Precision wraps rock creek and mullerworks barrels. He designed the tenon/cr on junction to where it can be turned down for different applications. All his barrels come with a 1.25" shank, but he turns them to 1.1" for tikkas on the regular prior to cutting tennon and chamber.

Reactions: Raffy

Raffy

PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 14, 2020
    Southern Utah
    This isn't totally true. Pederson Precision wraps rock creek and mullerworks barrels. He designed the tenon/cr on junction to where it can be turned down for different applications. All his barrels come with a 1.25" shank, but he turns them to 1.1" for tikkas on the regular prior to cutting tennon and chamber.
    Good info, thanks!

Bourbon_and_Bullets

Epstein Didn’t Kill Himself.
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Dec 13, 2019
    Anyone need a yo-dave trigger spring? Have an extra laying around that i don't need for my hunting rig?

Bourbon_and_Bullets

PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Dec 13, 2019
    Also, is anyone running an Athlon Midas Tac on their tikka? Currently, I have a SWFA 3-9 HD on my hunting rig.

Glass is solid, but not crazy about the turrets and no zero stop. (Not a big deal but would like to have for both hunting and long range shooting) Love the ARES ETR I'm running on my CTR. But, looking for something for something solid for my t3x superlite in 7mag. Open to ideas.

Lawnboi

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 30, 2019
    WI
    @Massoud question on the tikka stock. I have a t3 bravo, and am getting a t1x 17hmr. Can I retrofit the t3 stock? Or so I need a whole new t1x bravo?

MC56

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 24, 2019
    Also, is anyone running an Athlon Midas Tac on their tikka? Currently, I have a SWFA 3-9 HD on my hunting rig.

Glass is solid, but not crazy about the turrets and no zero stop. (Not a big deal but would like to have for both hunting and long range shooting) Love the ARES ETR I'm running on my CTR. But, looking for something for something solid for my t3x superlite in 7mag. Open to ideas.

I have the Midas Tac 5-25×56 and love it.

Reactions: Bourbon_and_Bullets

Lawnboi

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 30, 2019
    WI

Not a good hunting scope imo. Chinese made, took 3 to get one that worked. The reticle is imo too thin for a hunting optic. I’d stick with the swfa for a hunting scope. If you want more features I personally like the f1 nightforce shv.

Bourbon_and_Bullets

PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Dec 13, 2019
    Appreciate the input. May check out the NF. I’ve had good luck with Athlon and thought at 9x and above, the reticle might look more like a standard duplex in the midas.

not a great reason to go away from the swfa at the ranges i hunt, really. But i do like to quickly dial my ranges and return to zero.

MC56

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 24, 2019
    @Massoud question on the tikka stock. I have a t3 bravo, and am getting a t1x 17hmr. Can I retrofit the t3 stock? Or so I need a whole new t1x bravo?

T3x Bravo on left and T1x Bravo on right. Should work but you'll need to remove the mag release on the bravo and possibly open up the magwell a bit.
    20201110_170247[1734].jpg

Tomiboy

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 24, 2019

I have one on my TAC A1

MC56

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 24, 2019
    Got my barreled action back from Tim over at Solid Accuracy today. Barrel looks awesome and can't wait to get it to the range, hopefully tomorrow. Will get some better pics once I get outside.

Tikka T3X CTR
    Criterion 26" straight bull barrel chambered in .308 win tac
    Hellfire brake
    Anarchy Outdoors bolt handle/knob
    KRG Bravo
    Area419 Arcalock rail/setup
    Midas Tac 5-25x56 APRS3 MIL
    Vortex PMR rings

20201110_152204[1735].jpg

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    Kansas

The Bushnell LRHS and LRST make for good FFP hunting scopes.