Tikka T3 Thread

Gleetu

Private
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2020
Hello, first time here.
This is my multipurpose hunting and range fun t3x(hunter) 308 .
Put it in a factory laminated stock and inlet it to fit ctr bottom metal. Barrel is 16" and suppreasor is Ase utra jet-z compact. Cheek pad is a formed factory piece velcrod on.
IMG_20201123_231853.jpg
Some shots at 300m on 10cm plate
IMG_20201011_221040.jpg

Nice reading everones posts!

louu

The only NON methhead in NJ
PX Member
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2020
I will answer what I can.
1. yes
2. Not that I know of. You can get 5 round mags for it though. CTR mags wont work unless you put it in a CTR stock and use CTR bottom metal.
3. Yes it will fit in a MDT chassis and there mags should work
4. Not sure
Thanks bud

Spoonbill

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2020
New to tikka, I'm a lefty and I'm looking for a stock that will allow aics mags. Was planning a krg bravo but they don't offer it for the t3 in left. What options are out there for lh t3's?
There are a few companies that sell AICS bottom metal for Tikka's. look at Mountain Tactical and redsnake tactical. Also MDT and XLR make a left hand chassis for lefties.

AB70

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
May 17, 2017
Does anyone have a Tikka .223 in a J Allen chassis?
What magazine are you using? What problems may have occured?

I have a J Allen chassis laying around for a Tikka. I ordered one for rem700 platform but could only get one for Tikka after they went out of business. It was either that or lose my money. Anyway, I thought it was about time to put that chassis to use. Just got to see what works best.

Nobody? :unsure:

avalanche

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
www.innovnate.com.au
Can anyone recommend a new chassis for a t3 varmint (308). Used almost exclusively for hunting, so want to keep it somewhat light weight. All my accessories (bipods etc etc) are pic rails compatible. If anyone could give me an approximate weight rating that'd be very helpful too!

Baddog 0302

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2013
Panhandle of FLA
I'm about to take position of a TAC A1 in 308. does the 1-11 twist Bbl. like any particular bullet or weight ? Max range 600 yds. I know barrels are like women, each is an individual onto it's self, but in general they all like certain items that are usually $$$$$$.
With the 600 yd. limit I'm hoping the 155 or 168's will work.

Graywolf.260

rocket surgeon
PX Member
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2010
western MT
I'm about to take position of a TAC A1 in 308. does the 1-11 twist Bbl. like any particular bullet or weight ? Max range 600 yds. I know barrels are like women, each is an individual onto it's self, but in general they all like certain items that are usually $$$$$$.
With the 600 yd. limit I'm hoping the 155 or 168's will work.

155 Scenars work great in my TacA1

MC56

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2019
Did some load development the other day. Gonna shoot this in PRS tac division next year. Tikka T3x rebarreled by Tim at Solid Accuracy with a Criterion 26" 10tw bull barrel.

Avg 2755 FPS
SD 6
ES 16
.017" off the lands

Looking forward to loading up some more and taking it out further.

Ballistic-X-Export-2020-11-27 14:51:51.820252.png20201125_114251.jpg

pmhaddad

Private
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2020
Here's mine, I built for PRS specifically. First rounds through it in august, just hit 1300 down the pipe this week. It is a CTR in 6.5CM that I dropped into a KRG XRay with AICS mags. I am having a 6GT barrel spun up for it next month.

To get it to balance the way I wanted, I needed the KRG t-slot weight and then an MDT mlok weight kit, but that did the trick and its perfectly balanced 1-2" ahead of the mag well.

For the money I have into this thing, I'm insanely pleased with it, I firmly believe that the factory tikka action can stand toe to toe with a lot of custom actions. The factory single stage trigger with a trigger spring is phenomenal, I don't plan on changing it out. One thing I really didn't like with the factory configuration was the bolt handle angle and the bolt knob itself, so I swapped those out for an anarchy outdoors handle and a area419 knob, it works much better for me.IMG_5375.jpg

MC56

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2019
Here's mine, I built for PRS specifically. First rounds through it in august, just hit 1300 down the pipe this week. It is a CTR in 6.5CM that I dropped into a KRG XRay with AICS mags. I am having a 6GT barrel spun up for it next month.

To get it to balance the way I wanted, I needed the KRG t-slot weight and then an MDT mlok weight kit, but that did the trick and its perfectly balanced 1-2" ahead of the mag well.

For the money I have into this thing, I'm insanely pleased with it, I firmly believe that the factory tikka action can stand toe to toe with a lot of custom actions. The factory single stage trigger with a trigger spring is phenomenal, I don't plan on changing it out. One thing I really didn't like with the factory configuration was the bolt handle angle and the bolt knob itself, so I swapped those out for an anarchy outdoors handle and a area419 knob, it works much better for me.View attachment 7484281

Looks great! I agree, love the Tikka actions. I purposely got a heavy ass barrel and then packed the rear of the bravo stock with wheel weights. Ended up balancing out great.

pmhaddad

Private
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2020
Looks great! I agree, love the Tikka actions. I purposely got a heavy ass barrel and then packed the rear of the bravo stock with wheel weights. Ended up balancing out great.

Thank you!

My 6GT is going to be a proof competition profile, so I will be changing the weights around. I've also got a line on an MDT ACC, and if that works out I'll swap it into that, and sell the XRay. For the price I don't think you can really beat the Xray, its just hard to balance out properly with a sporter profile barrel that the factory Tikka comes with.

Reactions: 260284

Boltyboi

dirty little vortex whore
PX Member
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2019
Thank you!

My 6GT is going to be a proof competition profile, so I will be changing the weights around. I've also got a line on an MDT ACC, and if that works out I'll swap it into that, and sell the XRay. For the price I don't think you can really beat the Xray, its just hard to balance out properly with a sporter profile barrel that the factory Tikka comes with.

While that is true, I tend to perscribe to the school of thought that if the gun must have more weight forward of the magwell, I'd like it to come from the barrel before it comes from steel weights.

Reactions: MC56

clcustom1911

"Cartman 1-2, come in" aka Sugar Buns
Supporter
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Oct 23, 2017
    Texas Hill Country
    I dont know about you guys, but I was hoping to have shot out my T3x Lite 7mm RemMag barrel after 1000-1200 rounds.... or at least having the accuracy begin to open up A LITTLE.

I'm the 3rd owner of this rifle/action and it had an unknown number of rounds down the barrel when I got it. I have put 1000-1200 down the bore and these were the last 5 I shot...

Ballistic-X-Export-2020-03-28 10:39:10.598573.png

These cold hammer forged barrels are something special

Oh, and Berger 168 Classic Hunters, 0.020 off the lands, 0.002" neck tension, 68.5gr of Reloder 26, R-P Brass, and 215M primers is what did that group. 2950fps, so its moving right along.

pmhaddad

Private
    Minuteman
    Aug 29, 2020
    While that is true, I tend to perscribe to the school of thought that if the gun must have more weight forward of the magwell, I'd like it to come from the barrel before it comes from steel weights.

With this light of a barrel and the heavy scope it won't balance without added weight.

It's also built specifically for PRS where added weight is an advantage in terms of recoil mitigation. This rig comes in right under 16lbs, pretty light in the land of 20lb+ rifles :)

wpeach1912

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Apr 7, 2020
    Does anybody have experience with the 300 win mag t3x (mainly how they shoot and what velocities people get)? I'm thinking about getting one for a normal hunting rig. I realize they don't let you load very long, but I don't plan on doing super long range shooting/hunting with it. Probably 5-600 yard limit. I mostly want 300 win mag since I already have a Savage (which I'll probably sell) and factory ammo is available if need be. I would also get it threaded and throw a brake on it to make the recoil more tolerable.

NewsShooter

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 14, 2011
    Can anyone recommend a new chassis for a t3 varmint (308). Used almost exclusively for hunting, so want to keep it somewhat light weight. All my accessories (bipods etc etc) are pic rails compatible. If anyone could give me an approximate weight rating that'd be very helpful too!

XLR magnesium, lighter than many traditional stocks. Easy to add things to it if you want, I have no issues hunting with mine. Slings the same as a regular stock for me, I also shoot offhand, kneeling, sitting regularly too.

Chase214

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 2, 2017
    Holly ridge nc
    Xlr industry's magnesium chassis

Reactions: XLR Industries

davsco

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jan 1, 2014
    NoVa
    hellfire brake
    Does anybody have experience with the 300 win mag t3x (mainly how they shoot and what velocities people get)? I'm thinking about getting one for a normal hunting rig. I realize they don't let you load very long, but I don't plan on doing super long range shooting/hunting with it. Probably 5-600 yard limit. I mostly want 300 win mag since I already have a Savage (which I'll probably sell) and factory ammo is available if need be. I would also get it threaded and throw a brake on it to make the recoil more tolerable.
    i had a t3 in 300 winmag a few years back. kicked like a friggin mule, sold it. last year i got a t3x in 300wsm, with an area419 hellfire brake on it, and it's in a mesa precision altitude stock, it's a pussycat. got elk at 200 and 400yds last month. highly recommend. fed 180 tbt's are averaging 2961 out of the 24" barrel.

wpeach1912

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Apr 7, 2020
    hellfire brake
    i had a t3 in 300 winmag a few years back. kicked like a friggin mule, sold it. last year i got a t3x in 300wsm, with an area419 hellfire brake on it, and it's in a mesa precision altitude stock, it's a pussycat. got elk at 200 and 400yds last month. highly recommend. fed 180 tbt's are averaging 2961 out of the 24" barrel.
    Awesome. I figured a muzzle brake is a necessity with the magnums. I would probably also upgrade to the mesa precision stock eventually too. They look slick. Now to figure out how to get some money out of a savage...

Bourbon_and_Bullets

Epstein Didn’t Kill Himself.
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Dec 13, 2019
    Awesome. I figured a muzzle brake is a necessity with the magnums. I would probably also upgrade to the mesa precision stock eventually too. They look slick. Now to figure out how to get some money out of a savage...

I have a t3x superlight in 7 mag. Really helps to put the new limbsaver airtech pads on it. Eliminated the need for a brake.

Reactions: wpeach1912

CaptNemo

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Apr 8, 2009
    Southern Alabama
    New to the forum, recently bought my first "long range" rifle that I plan to get into PRS with. Tikka T3X CTR with the 24" barrel in 6.5C. Just placed my order for a KRG W3 and a Vortex Viper PST Gen II for it. Looking forward to getting it out there.

View attachment 7486618
    You bought an excellent starting place.
    While you have the action out of the stock, back the trigger adjusting screw out to lighten the trigger pull and / or put a spring in it to lighten it further.
    Or, put a two stage adjustable trigger trigger in it like a KRG Midas.
    Stock up on AICS mags while you’re at it, the MDT’s were on sale for Black Friday and I jumped on some.

Reactions: Mike0032

Tohopko

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 28, 2018
    Since Luke asked, my first Tikka build:
    Tikka T3x Lite Stainless in .270 Winchester
    26" Preferred Barrel Blanks Variable Shoulder .800 Varmint in 6.5-284
    Iota Outdoors Eko, no bedding
    Mtn Tactical Bottom metal
    Mtn Tactial 20MOA rail (I think...can't recall for sure if it was Jason's rails or one I had previously)
    Stock Trigger with Mtn Tactical spring
    Glades Armory bolt handle (another "I think". I've had it around for a couple of years)
    Zeiss V4 6-24

10.3lbs with Zeiss 6-24 in Seekins rings

The rifle shoots far better than I do, turning out several half inch 4 and 5 groups at 200yds during load development, pushing Hornady 140 BTHPs at 2900fps. My chosen "target" load is pushing 142SMKs at 3015, and turning out .35moa, while my "hunting" load is just as accurate, pushing the 130gr Sierra Tipped GameKings at 3144fps.

The Eko stock checked in at 32oz, and is a great fit. If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with a lighter contour and a shouldered prefit rather than the variable. My idea at the time was to be able to switch barrels easily. Since then, I've learned that the shouldered prefit is just as easy to change and likely more repeatable for precise headspace. I've also learned that the rifle is fantastic from static positions, but a bit cumbersome for spot and stalk with the can. With the light stock and heavy, long barrel, the length and the balance are just a pain when hunting.

At 400yds and quartering hard away, that whitetail took a 130gr STGK in the last rib on the near side, passed through the vitals, out the first rib on the off side, and we found the jacket lodged in the neck muscles just under the hide.20200727_113231~3.jpg

Attachments

• 20200722_193927~2.jpg
      20200722_193927~2.jpg
      258.1 KB · Views: 30
    • 20200727_113140~2.jpg
      20200727_113140~2.jpg
      1,013.2 KB · Views: 34
    • 20200727_113421(1).jpg
      20200727_113421(1).jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 37
    • 20200727_113458~2.jpg
      20200727_113458~2.jpg
      854.9 KB · Views: 47
    • 20201104_165008b.jpg
      20201104_165008b.jpg
      678.8 KB · Views: 46
    Last edited:

LongRifles Inc.

Lance Criminal
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    Asked for and now delivered:

LRI is happy to announce that Tikka replacement bolts are now a thing.

Details:

tainless bolt body and handle
    Complete fire control
    Bar stock machined bolt shroud. -No plastic or Zinc casting
    .480 and .545 diameter bolt faces available We might do a .590 for Lapua and/or a .390 for 223 stuff later
    RIGHT HANDED only. Sorry Lefties.
    M16 style extractor

We have inventory on the floor. I'm currently working on the extractors and they'll be done hopefully this week. They still have to go to heat treat but that doesn't take very long.

Price: $375.00 for the complete drop on bolt. These will only be sold as complete units.

Thanks for looking and THANK YOU for all the support and encouragement folks have offered in anticipation of this.

1606843459225.png

1606843473393.png

1606843492848.png

CaptNemo

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Apr 8, 2009
    Southern Alabama

Details:

Complete fire control
    .480 and .545 diameter bolt faces available We might do a .590 for Lapua and/or a .390 for 223 stuff later
    M16 style extractor

We have inventory on the floor. I'm currently working on the extractors and they'll be done hopefully this week. They still have to go to heat treat but that doesn't take very long.

Price: $375.00 for the complete drop on bolt. These will only be sold as complete units.

Thanks for looking and THANK YOU for all the support and encouragement folks have offered in anticipation of this.

View attachment 7488406

View attachment 7488407

View attachment 7488408

Nice !!

Reactions: LongRifles Inc.

Luke G

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 9, 2019

Details:

Complete fire control
    M16 style extractor

View attachment 7488406

View attachment 7488407

View attachment 7488408

I am sure the answer to this question is yes, but will these bolts headspace the same as the factory bolt and allow use of prefits?

Reactions: Tohopko

brianc74

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Apr 14, 2011
    ID. BOISE
    Sorry for not knowing. But here it is.
    Are the T3 actions the same in metal makeup?
    Are the Black and blued actions same as the ss looking ones?
    Do the blued looking rifles rust easy?

I’m doing a ne build this next week. And live in the Boise ID area. I hunt sometimes in an area where you can get soaked with constant rain for weeks at a time.

Brian

CarbonMTN

Smallbore
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 21, 2012
    NV
    Sorry for not knowing. But here it is.
    Are the T3 actions the same in metal makeup?
    Are the Black and blued actions same as the ss looking ones?
    Do the blued looking rifles rust easy?

I’m doing a new build this next week. And live in the Boise ID area. I hunt sometimes in an area where you can get soaked with constant rain for weeks at a time.

Brian
    T3 vs T3x actions are the same metal make up

T3 vs T3x, recoil lug is bigger, metal bolt shroud, different tapped wholes for a picatinny rail, better reinforced stock and recoil pad.

Barrel/action is the same profile size, but it just different metal material between the blued/SS.

you can prevent rust by taking care of the metal. I love to practice shooting in the weather (rain/snow) but I always make sure that I wipe it down with a gun oil rag before I store it back into the safe, if it got watered on.

If you find a screamin deal on a T3 I wouldnt hesitate buying that over a full priced T3x. I look on Asmslist all the time for T3 because I know im going to change things out on it and ill take a good deal any day.