Tikka T3 Thread

JohnCarter17

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2021
TX
Ok so I have been looking for a TAC A1 mainly in coyote tan but would settle for black for about 4-6 months now. And i come across this on Brownells website. I sent them a email and got a response back this afternoon (08/30/21). They stated that "we do not have plans to restock this item at this point in time". So does anyone have any insight as to whether Tikka is still making these or have they dropped this from the manufacturing line up? It still shows on their website and when i reached out to the companies (Sako, Beretta and Tikka social media) and was referred to the brownell company. Im highly sadened by this to say the lease. Anyone know if this is due to covid or did they actually discontinue?
Call Eurooptic if you want info. A long time vendor and major Tikka importer (which Brownells is not) will give you better info than social media accounts of the manufacturers.

Go count the number of Tikka models Brownells lists, then spend serious time looking at the Tikkas which Eurooptic lists. You were looking in the wrong place.

If it's not in stock anywhere, it's because this year's allotment sold out. There will be more coming when they order for next year, or whenever they order again. It sounds like Brownells won't be carrying Tikkas in the future. No big loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: DonHD1975

DonHD1975

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2020
Call Eurooptic if you want info. A long time vendor and major Tikka importer (which Brownells is not) will give you better info than social media accounts of the manufacturers.

Go count the number of Tikka models Brownells lists, then spend serious time looking at the Tikkas which Eurooptic lists. You were looking in the wrong place.

If it's not in stock anywhere, it's because this year's allotment sold out. There will be more coming when they order for next year, or whenever they order again. It sounds like Brownells won't be carrying Tikkas in the future. No big loss.
Thanks. I'll give them a shout. Eurooptics doesn't say anything about being discontinued but it does show all but the left hand model 308 in the TAC A1 is out of stock. But i'll give them a shout in the AM. Again thanks. It seriously didn't cross my mind that they could be just sold out at this point in the year. Pretty much like everything else right now. lol. Ive never bought anything from brownells yet anyway.

GrumpyOleFart

Torque till Destruction.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 18, 2020
    Perth, Western Australia
    @JohnCarter17 Just spoken to the Beretta rep.
    Absolutely not true.
    The TAC A1 is one of their top sellers.
    They are adding a new range of calibres.....possibly the .300WM🤞
    He won't confirm that , but has said it is one of the calibres most requested in their marketing surveys.

Production numbers are being increased for the TAC A1 to cover the worldwide demand.
    Rest assured, the TAC A1 is around for a while longer.

Please bring out a .300 WM
    💖

• Wow
    Reactions: DonHD1975 and Bakwa

DonHD1975

Private
    Minuteman
    Sep 30, 2020
    @JohnCarter17 Just spoken to the Beretta rep.
    Absolutely not true.
    The TAC A1 is one of their top sellers.
    They are adding a new range of calibres.....possibly the .300WM🤞
    He won't confirm that , but has said it is one of the calibres most requested in their marketing surveys.

Production numbers are being increased for the TAC A1 to cover the worldwide demand.
    Rest assured, the TAC A1 is around for a while longer.

Please bring out a .300 WM
    💖
    Best news ever. Thanks for digging. I obsessed with this gun. I hope they make a 338 Lapua. I would work a third job to afford a tac a1 in 338. But starting off with a 6.5 is a better choice for a beginner.

DonHD1975

Private
    Minuteman
    Sep 30, 2020
    The "Man Bun"🤣 6.5 Creedmoor is a lovely calibre.
    As much as I enjoy my .308 Sako, the Creedmoor is now my everyday shooter.
    I wish people wouldn't make fun of the 6.5. im like you it actually is a great round. I shot a few of my friends guns. It's about like crocs anymore. ugly and hippie fied, but dammit they are comfortable. i wont' wear them outside the house, oh hell no. lol. And as for man bun. Well id have to have more hair a little higher on my head for that. lol. I have 2 teenage daughters. Im lucky i have any hair. lol. Thus the need for a long range gun. lol.

MC56

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Nov 24, 2019
    I wish people wouldn't make fun of the 6.5. im like you it actually is a great round. I shot a few of my friends guns. It's about like crocs anymore. ugly and hippie fied, but dammit they are comfortable. i wont' wear them outside the house, oh hell no. lol. And as for man bun. Well id have to have more hair a little higher on my head for that. lol. I have 2 teenage daughters. Im lucky i have any hair. lol. Thus the need for a long range gun. lol.

who cares what other people think...I shoot in my crocs all the time 🤣. do what's comfortable...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210831-083729_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20210831-083729_Gallery.jpg
      173.5 KB · Views: 159

SeekingNorth

Private
    Minuteman
    Jun 9, 2017
    Just wondering...has there ever been reports of the bolt handle coming of, due to the "dovetail" in the bolt cracking?

Surly, people using their tac/snip/target rifles with thousands of rounds with rapid and rough bolt movements would be the ones to see it first..

MC56

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Nov 24, 2019
    Just wondering...has there ever been reports of the bolt handle coming of, due to the "dovetail" in the bolt cracking?

Surly, people using their tac/snip/target rifles with thousands of rounds with rapid and rough bolt movements would be the ones to see it first..

I have not had that happen, nor have I heard of it happening.

LeftyJason

Thumbnail-les
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2017
    Kaysville Utah
    Best news ever. Thanks for digging. I obsessed with this gun. I hope they make a 338 Lapua. I would work a third job to afford a tac a1 in 338. But starting off with a 6.5 is a better choice for a beginner.
    Tikka action is too small for a 338 lapua. If you want a 338 lapua look at the SAKO Trg42. Same company.

Or even better go for the Hoplite Aspis. (Search here on the Hide for it.) $6900 and designed to handle redonculous pressures. 338 solids at 85-90k chamber pressure is in the works.

DonHD1975

Private
    Minuteman
    Sep 30, 2020
    Tikka action is too small for a 338 lapua. If you want a 338 lapua look at the SAKO Trg42. Same company.

Or even better go for the Hoplite Aspis. (Search here on the Hide for it.) $6900 and designed to handle redonculous pressures. 338 solids at 85-90k chamber pressure is in the works.
    I stumbled across those the other day and my jaw hit the floor. Very nice looking guns.

308ftWIN

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Apr 9, 2018
    I have a T3 300Win action I want to rebarrel and buy a new stock/chassis for.

What would you all suggest as far as barrel length and profile for a jack of all trades kind of build? Mostly target shooting with the occasional possible hunting trip. Typical Midwest Terrain.

Same idea on a stock/chassis.

J_Bublitz

Private
    Minuteman
    Jun 4, 2021
    Utah
    I have a T3 300Win action I want to rebarrel and buy a new stock/chassis for.

What would you all suggest as far as barrel length and profile for a jack of all trades kind of build? Mostly target shooting with the occasional possible hunting trip. Typical Midwest Terrain.

Same idea on a stock/chassis.
    with a magnum action and what you are wanting to do with it I would suggest 6.5 PRC for the caliber if you are considering a caliber change

viking78

Private
    Minuteman
    Jul 6, 2011
    FINLAND
    www.youtube.com
    T3X CTR 260rem barrel accuracy test.
    Did this on sunday, but uploaded the video on tube now.
    Been shooting that 260rem from 2016 and well over 4000 rounds, still 0.3 MOA, and with out that last flyer, it would been tight as F group.
    Just love this rifle, and the caliber.
    I use Lapua 123gr Scenar, Lapua brass and Vihtavuori N150 38,6gr powder charge, COL is on my CTR 72mm. it is 3mm off the lands, so do not use 123gr Scenar on lands, it does not work, unlike the L-Scenar´s, that are much more like Berger bullets.
    Im having this type of benchrest front rest, then will be seen how tight groups my rifles shoots :)

VIDEO.

R_Swanson

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Feb 20, 2017
    AZ
    Anyone running an XLR Chassis with their long action mags?

I still haven't set up my switch barrel hunting rifle yet (1 yr after buying a donor gun and all that), but leaning heavily towards a 7mm SAUM loaded long and the XLR magnesium with a folder might be calling my name.

Just want to ensure theres some other people running this reliably before I take the plunge. I am also considering a AG Composites stock from OMR, but since I want a longer LOP and an arca rail and some other stuff, it will probably end up heavier and more expensive.

thestoicmarcusaurelius

Disagreement can’t be tolerated. Hail King Potato
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Jun 15, 2020
    Alabama Slammer
    Anyone running an XLR Chassis with their long action mags?

I still haven't set up my switch barrel hunting rifle yet (1 yr after buying a donor gun and all that), but leaning heavily towards a 7mm SAUM loaded long and the XLR magnesium with a folder might be calling my name.

Just want to ensure theres some other people running this reliably before I take the plunge. I am also considering a AG Composites stock from OMR, but since I want a longer LOP and an arca rail and some other stuff, it will probably end up heavier and more expensive.
    This is the way I'm going on future hunting builds after the one I'm having set up now in a McMillan. I hate the aesthetics of it but the utility and adjustability of the XLR more than balances that out and the weight really isn't that bad.

Reactions: R_Swanson

R_Swanson

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Feb 20, 2017
    AZ
    This is the way I'm going on future hunting builds after the one I'm having set up now in a McMillan. I hate the aesthetics of it but the utility and adjustability of the XLR more than balances that out and the weight really isn't that bad.
    Yeah its pretty light. With a folder (which I want) its around 36 oz with the carbon butt stock and 48 oz with the tac butt stock... and thats with an ARCA rail the others dont have, its a folder, and the LOP is better (I'm tall). By the time I lengthen the LOP (which I cant do in a lot of the other lightweight stocks) and add an ARCA rail, they will probably weigh more than the XLR with the carbon stock, and not much less than with a TAC stock. I mean, just like you said - I sort of want the new Manners for the looks, but I'm skeptical that it will as good a hunting tool when its said and done.

But I do still want to bump my original question - I know there are feeding issues with aftermarket LA bottom metal and AICS mags with the Tikka's. My understanding is this shouldn't be an issue in an XLR since its a full chassis, but wanted to hear some first-hand experience.

Fire4EffectCA

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Nov 28, 2019
    Tikka T3x TAC A1 Buttstock Monopod Rail

Does anyone make a rail cover that will protect the monopod rail on the Tikka T3x Tac A1 buttstock?

Thanks

Resize 6767.jpg

JohnCarter17

Private
    Minuteman
    Jul 27, 2021
    TX
    Future Post, page 218

Tikka T3x TAC A1 Buttstock Rail Bag Rider

Does anyone make a cover that will protect the bag rider on the Tikka T3x Tac A1 buttstock rail?

Quicksilver338

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Dec 11, 2019
    Not really sure what you’re getting at with covering the bag rider? It’s meant to ride on the bag and not sure you’d ever want or need to protect it.

Gtar

Aussie
    Minuteman
    Mar 30, 2018
    Australia
    I designed and printed a bag rider to suit the Tac A1 stock. It replaces the picatinny rail and uses the same screws to mount. It's not overly long but sits in a rear bag really well.

1631486877141.jpeg

1631487562151.jpeg

I've had a couple of people ask about getting one, I'm in Australia so it's not really worth the postage cost. You can download the file at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4963816 and have someone print it for you though.

Attachments

• 1631453443263.png
      1631453443263.png
      69.6 KB · Views: 95
    Last edited:

patriotnation

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    May 21, 2018
    Massachusetts
    I had my Tikka CTR re-barreled with a Hawk Hill barrel and chambered in 6 Dasher over the winter by ICE rifles. He did an amazing job trueing up the face and chambering the barrel. It shoots better than I can. I like it in the KRG as it is a bit lighter than an MDT ACC. I changed the cheek pad to the more adjustable one but I am not sure it helps my shooting. I have fun trying though.

Attachments

• rainbow 1.jpg
      rainbow 1.jpg
      442.8 KB · Views: 75
    Reactions: GrumpyOleFart

324matt

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Mar 7, 2019
    Dorsey, Illinois
    Yeah its pretty light. With a folder (which I want) its around 36 oz with the carbon butt stock and 48 oz with the tac butt stock... and thats with an ARCA rail the others dont have, its a folder, and the LOP is better (I'm tall). By the time I lengthen the LOP (which I cant do in a lot of the other lightweight stocks) and add an ARCA rail, they will probably weigh more than the XLR with the carbon stock, and not much less than with a TAC stock. I mean, just like you said - I sort of want the new Manners for the looks, but I'm skeptical that it will as good a hunting tool when its said and done.

But I do still want to bump my original question - I know there are feeding issues with aftermarket LA bottom metal and AICS mags with the Tikka's. My understanding is this shouldn't be an issue in an XLR since its a full chassis, but wanted to hear some first-hand experience.
    I've had a xlr element for hunting. I didn't like it. It was way to cold, and I didnt like the rubber butt pad. I was always making noise brushing against the metal chassis, so I used self adhesive craft foam to cover the entire stock. I ended up selling it off.
    Ive tried a krg bravo and liked it, but the grip area was way to thick and felt too big.
    I have ordered a manners eh1-tk exactly 5 months ago, so thats about a month out and Im hoping its the fix to my quest for a good comfortable stock.
    Id like to try a krg x-ray if I dont like the manners.

Fire4EffectCA

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Nov 28, 2019
    I designed and printed a bag rider to suit the Tac A1 stock. It replaces the picatinny rail and uses the same screws to mount. It's not overly long but sits in a rear bag really well.

I've had a couple of people ask about getting one, I'm in Australia so it's not really worth the postage cost. You can download the file at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4963816 and have someone print it for you though.

Thanks so much for providing the file. I have never had anything 3D printed before. Is this a preferred material type to specify?

R_Swanson

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Feb 20, 2017
    AZ
    I've had a xlr element for hunting. I didn't like it. It was way to cold, and I didnt like the rubber butt pad. I was always making noise brushing against the metal chassis, so I used self adhesive craft foam to cover the entire stock. I ended up selling it off.
    Ive tried a krg bravo and liked it, but the grip area was way to thick and felt too big.
    I have ordered a manners eh1-tk exactly 5 months ago, so thats about a month out and Im hoping its the fix to my quest for a good comfortable stock.
    Id like to try a krg x-ray if I dont like the manners.

Thanks for the feedback on the XLR. I have two KRG's, but its not an option as they are AICS short action or short action CRT mags only. I think the bravo is a great stock for the money and I do like my W3, but they arent options for this build (and I want something lighter anyway).

Going Long Action makes it more complicated. From talking to some people with experience, using an aftermarket bottom metal with AICS mags is not a great option for Tikka's, you're gonna have feeding issues (pretty sure this is why LRI makes their magazine filler block).... so you're basically using a stock plastic or aftermarket metal bottom metal, but with OEM mags. Not the end of the world, and allows for a AG Composites stock and, *I think* a Manners with their mini chassis or obviously a bedded Manners, but I havent called Manners to discuss.

Are you going with a mini chassis or going to bed it?

324matt

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Mar 7, 2019
    Dorsey, Illinois
    Im ordered my manners with the mini chassis and the factory bottom metal. I prefer the tikka factory mags, they are plastic, but very reliable. My rifle is chambered in 22-250, and that round feeding through AICS mags is hit and miss. I had 2 well worn AICS mags that fed up to 5-6 rounds reliably, but I also had a new MDT metal mag that didnt feed for shit. I did have a MDT polymere AICS style mag for the .224 valkarie that would feed 7 rounds reliably, as I had to file the feed lips just so to match the tapered casing of the 22-250. I kept that one.

R_Swanson

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Feb 20, 2017
    AZ
    Im ordered my manners with the mini chassis and the factory bottom metal. I prefer the tikka factory mags, they are plastic, but very reliable. My rifle is chambered in 22-250, and that round feeding through AICS mags is hit and miss. I had 2 well worn AICS mags that fed up to 5-6 rounds reliably, but I also had a new MDT metal mag that didnt feed for shit. I did have a MDT polymere AICS style mag for the .224 valkarie that would feed 7 rounds reliably, as I had to file the feed lips just so to match the tapered casing of the 22-250. I kept that one.

This makes tons of sense. Post pics of the EH1-TK when you get it. I bet its going to be sweet. I think being able to run factory mags is a plus for the Manners as well. I think it looks better also. However for the XLR I like the adjustability, longer LOP, full length ARCA rail, and fact its a folder.