• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

We have PRS customers using T3 actions quite a bit. I think the best would be to find any T3 rifle or T3 action with a 308 bolt face and get a barrel of choice without compromises fitted. Factory barrels are mostly too light or too short or the wrong twist or the wrong way made. The barrel is mainly what makes it shoot or not.
edi
Sadly, barreled actions very hard to come by here in Aust. Even Rem ones..... I went looking today for something, but nothing Tikka available in .260 either. Except for the Tac A1. On my way around the shops I did find a Varmint in 6.5CM Not exactly what I was after, but since it's going in a chassis anyway I'll be using AICS mags anyhow. No thread, but longer barrel was what I wanted. Good deal money wise, so leaves me more for chassis and practice. Even with threading, I'm still a long way ahead in the money stakes over custom build or the TAC A1. So Far.
Guess I better start mining the earlier pages of this thread..........

Sadly, barreled actions very hard to come by here in Aust. Even Rem ones..... I went looking today for something, but nothing Tikka available in .260 either. Except for the Tac A1. On my way around the shops I did find a Varmint in 6.5CM Not exactly what I was after, but since it's going in a chassis anyway I'll be using AICS mags anyhow. No thread, but longer barrel was what I wanted. Good deal money wise, so leaves me more for chassis and practice. Even with threading, I'm still a long way ahead in the money stakes over custom build or the TAC A1. So Far.

• Wow
Reactions: Jcarpenter223
Called them. Don't have...... I did kind of take your suggestion tho. As I mentioned I found a Varmint in 24". It's a 6.5 CM. Oh well. Maybe .260 next time I would love to be able to shop at jaoutdoors tho. There's just the shipping thing.....

I was lucky here in Ireland to get my hands on a few second hand hard used t3 rifles. We can pick up cheap 6.5x55 which is going a bit out of fashion or shot out 243/22-250's. Often bit of rust on the outside. They clean up well and can be re-sprayed after re-barrel. I just add the Australian Atlasworx aics/ctr mag system.

one of mine with a 24" 6.5CM Marksman Hawk Hill 1/8 barrel... bit wasted on me at the moment, might pass on to a PRS guy.

cortM1D.jpg

Member of the Irish Team, not sure which 6mm however with German Lothar Walther barrel on an old T3.

zNLdl0A.jpg

edi

Called them. Don't have...... I did kind of take your suggestion tho. As I mentioned I found a Varmint in 24". It's a 6.5 CM. Oh well. Maybe .260 next time I would love to be able to shop at jaoutdoors tho. There's just the shipping thing.....
Oh well, I'm sure you will enjoy the Varmint in 6.5 Creedmoor.👍
Mine is in a GRS Bifrost, rock solid and a pleasure to use.
20210513_153844.jpg

The varmint has a heavier barrel than a CTR, so it will take it longer to heat up. I had a 260 CTR and ended up going 6.5 Creedmoor when I shot out the 260 barrel. Love my 223 varmint, had the barrel threaded and always shoot it suppressed. I have a 7 twist Bartlein waiting for when it needs a new tube.

Reactions: Charlie112
So, having committed to 6.5 CM, small or large primer brass? I figured I'll buy once, and get me some Lapua. Any adverse experiences in the Tikka anyone can talk about?

So, having committed to 6.5 CM, small or large primer brass? I figured I'll buy once, and get me some Lapua. Any adverse experiences in the Tikka anyone can talk about?
Fired a lot of both through multiple tikkas. Both work fine. I’d get what you have some extra primers for. Also Lapua srp has small flash holes so be prepared for that if you go that route.

Match rifle uses small, hunting rifles uses large to keep them separate

Reactions: YotaEer
So, having committed to 6.5 CM, small or large primer brass? I figured I'll buy once, and get me some Lapua. Any adverse experiences in the Tikka anyone can talk about

I use large primer. I don't know think the small primer is worth it. It's right on the edge of consistent ignition.

Thanks grumpy one, I am looking at Lapua brass, but seems to be a shortage of LRP. I can get SRP no problem I have both primers so not a big deal. Was just curious as i know the R700 can be touchy about that stuff. In terms of primer flow and/or piercing. First Tikka and all.

Andrew863, is that the SRP is at the edge?

Thanks grumpy one, I am looking at Lapua brass, but seems to be a shortage of LRP. I can get SRP no problem I have both primers so not a big deal. Was just curious as i know the R700 can be touchy about that stuff. In terms of primer flow and/or piercing. First Tikka and all.

Andrew863, is that the SRP is at the edge?
Yes sir, the amount of powder will put u at the edge for SRP. I have seen people have ignition issues but if it's all u can get I would just run it and see how it works for u.

How long did you have to wait on the latest Sterk batch?

I am at 5 months and counting 😱😵🥵
The normal wait is 6 months.
My stock from manners took 9 months, there's wait times everywhere in the industry, also delays due to covid. Less flights = slower post too.

I never tried Lapua, but Peterson SRP brass has been great for me. I get really good velocity with 41 to 42 grains of Rl16 in both of my 6.5 barrels with 130-143gr bullets.

Reactions: CaptNemo
I would like to build a 20” tikka in 6.5 PRC but stuck on a couple different options. Will be suppressed 100%.

Ideally, I’d pickup a WSM/PRC bolt face action from JA outdoors and go to town, but they’re out of stock. Any where else that sells tikka actions?

Other option I’m thinking about is picking up one of the rough tech tikkas in 6.5 PRC and have the barrel chopped from 24” to 20”. However, would this even be possible with the barrel fluting?

I never tried Lapua, but Peterson SRP brass has been great for me. I get really good velocity with 41 to 42 grains of Rl16 in both of my 6.5 barrels with 130-143gr bullets.
Ive found out that there is no noticeable difference to me, between lapua, alpha, peterson... Starline comes in close but I prep all the brass the same and I've used all 4 of those companies and still do and have had no issues getting very consistent loads.

But for my bolt guns, I tend to run Lapua, peterson or alpha and keep the starline for semi's

Reactions: 260284
Been trying to order fun stuff for a new T3X CTR on the way, and finding the lack of documentation on various things rather frustrating - mostly the rifle itself but also various accessories from certain companies.

First issue is trying to order scope rings, where one needs to know the OD of the objective lens, ring height, cap thickness, and distance from scope rail top to barrel taper. I cannot find the factory rail to barrel measurement(s), or factory rail thickness and top of receiver to barrel, anywhere. I've found various PDFs of the CTR with exploded parts diagrams, but there are no measurements on them, various aftermarket rails don't have specific measurements available, various scope rings don't have specific measurements (but many do). Apparently you can't buy scope rings unless you have the gun, scope, and a pocketful of pennies on hand? lol.

Second issue is related to the first - trying to order an Arca rail to fit on the fore-end. Apparently, the CTR has 2 swivel stud points on the forend but trying to find how far apart they are, what threads, max screw depth available, stud distances from forend front and magazine, and total length of the forend is unpossible without the firearm in one's hand.

Am I missing some common knowledge resources here, or is this just The Way? Also, shout out to Area 419 and American Rifle Company for their product documentation.

GTR, CTR has quite a low 0 MOA rail. Most aftermarket rails are higher. In my opinion Spuhr are the best mounts. Others might help with pictures what a CTR with what mounts and scope look like. Start off by saying which scope will be fitted. Do you need a one piece mount with say 20MOA? or two piece as low as possible. Lower is not always better.
I would say forget fitting an Arca to a CTR plastic stock, get a better stock at some stage.
edi

Reactions: gtr2010
Hey edi, I'm going to use it for hunting and learning how to shoot long range better. I like the ARC M-Brace scope mount so far. I have a Razor HD 4.5-27 scope. I'm not good enough to need a 20 MOA rail immediately but I'll get one because I'm an optimist!

As far as the Arca rail - it was either that or pic and arca seems to be the future. I figured aftermarket stocks are like a new car. Run your new car stock for awhile until you're bored, then upgrade. Plus, as I said, I need an upgrade long before my stock does.

Last edited:
Just picked up my first Tikka, 20" stainless CTR in 6.5. Am looking at bipod rail options so I can attached my Harris / Larue bipod to it for occasional benchtop shooting. Rifle will be used for hunting otherwise and will not need the bipod. I would like to add a rail that has a hole for a quick release sling, and would ideally connect to the two existing stock screws which appear to be 5.25 inches apart. Cant seem to find a rail that will span that gap which would be pretty damn long. I am guessing I will need to drill another hole in the stock and go with a shorter rail to make this work. If anyone has an ideas, I would certainly appreciate the help.

@DanoC33 Funny enough I'm going through exactly the same thing, same rifle. The best rail seems to be the Mountain Tactical arca rail that is custom designed to fit onto the CTR stock using the existing swivel studs. However, it's out of stock and they don't answer the phone and don't answer email. Area 419 makes a rail, except it has this dumb cheese grater Arcalock design that is not necessary and probably makes it less comfortable to hold than a standard Arca rail. The easiest way is probably a small picatinny rail that attaches with a swivel stud. Amazon sells them and Harris has a picatinny model. There are also bipods that attach directly to a swivel stud (Harris) but I'm not sure if those are model specific or if you can get an adapter if you have some other type of Harris bipod.

The last option is Really Right Stuff makes Arca rails as well. They sell a couple of length options and each length option requires you purchase a set of mounting hardware - either a "stock" option that comes with T-Nuts and screws that requires drilling your stock, or hardware that attachs to M-Lok, etc.

I've ordered one of the RRS SOAR Arca rails. I plan to see if it's mountable using the existing swivel studs, or whether I have to drill the stock and use T-Nuts.

There are various adapters to connect things to Arca rails. The one I chose was the RRS stuff adapter that can bolt to an Atlas (NC) bipod and attach to either a pic or Arca rail.

Last edited:
In case anyone wants to know what the rail to barrel taper measurements for a stock T3X CTR are without a rifle in hand. These are approximate within a couple 64ths, just hand measured with 64ths hand rulers at 90 degrees to each other, not a micrometer or anything. These would be the 4th measurement on the ring height calculator page.

Distance From RailRail to Barrel 64thsRail to Barrel InchesRail to Barrel mm
0 cm19/64
0.296​
7.5184​
4 cm19/64
0.296​
7.5184​
5 cm20/64
0.3125​
7.9375​
6 cm21/64
0.328​
8.3312​
7 cm22/64
0.343​
8.7122​

@DanoC33 Funny enough I'm going through exactly the same thing, same rifle. The best rail seems to be the Mountain Tactical arca rail that is custom designed to fit onto the CTR stock using the existing swivel studs. However, it's out of stock and they don't answer the phone and don't answer email. Area 419 makes a rail, except it has this dumb cheese grater Arcalock design that is not necessary and probably makes it less comfortable to hold than a standard Arca rail. The easiest way is probably a small picatinny rail that attaches with a swivel stud. Amazon sells them and Harris has a picatinny model. There are also bipods that attach directly to a swivel stud (Harris) but I'm not sure if those are model specific or if you can get an adapter if you have some other type of Harris bipod.

The last option is Really Right Stuff makes Arca rails as well. They sell a couple of length options and each length option requires you purchase a set of mounting hardware - either a "stock" option that comes with T-Nuts and screws that requires drilling your stock, or hardware that attachs to M-Lok, etc.

I've ordered one of the RRS SOAR Arca rails. I plan to see if it's mountable using the existing swivel studs, or whether I have to drill the stock and use T-Nuts.

There are various adapters to connect things to Arca rails. The one I chose was the RRS stuff adapter that can bolt to an Atlas (NC) bipod and attach to either a pic or Arca rail.
Sounds like we are on the exact same track, however you are further along than I am! I couldn't get response from Mountain Tactical as well, so I need to find other options. The RRS looks like it could work, so I would be interested to know if your rail mounted up with out drilling. If it did not, I just may add a small rail with a quick release since I am going to have to drill the stock anyways. If you could post your results, I am sure others would appreciate it as I am pretty sure we are not the only ones going down this road!

Area 419 makes a rail, except it has this dumb cheese grater Arcalock design that is not necessary and probably makes it less comfortable to hold than a standard Arca rail.
It isn't a cheese grater. It's all radiused and incredibly comfortable.

Also, isn't a Harris/Larue pic rail attachment? B&T makes a Pic rail with a QD socket built in but the spacing is off so you'll need to drill a new hole.

PXL_20211117_035736806_2.jpg

Not quite finished product, but getting close. Haven't torqued the barrel up yet as I need to find a gunsmith to throat it for longer bullets. Scope came in Monday, but its too close to the barrel for caps even with Hawkins highs.

What color Cerakote should I go with on the barrel ends and the action?

T3X Lite Alpine Veil action from JA outdoors
18" 7SAUM Carbon6 Prefit
Grayboe Phoenix in Desert Sage
Mt Tac factory bottom metal
Lumley bolt handle/knob/shroud
Salmon River Solutions 4" MLOK ARCA Plate
Hawkins Hybrid 25MOA Rings
Vortex Razor LHT FFP MOA

8.5lbs scoped, 3rds loaded. Will be just over 9lbs with a suppressor

I'm looking to switch out the Hawkins rings for a Spuhr SCT-3006 for the recoil lug and use the integrated dovetail and a little more height.

Last edited:
Sounds like we are on the exact same track, however you are further along than I am! I couldn't get response from Mountain Tactical as well, so I need to find other options. The RRS looks like it could work, so I would be interested to know if your rail mounted up with out drilling. If it did not, I just may add a small rail with a quick release since I am going to have to drill the stock anyways. If you could post your results, I am sure others would appreciate it as I am pretty sure we are not the only ones going down this road!

Will definitely share and post results. I also ordered a T1X, I'm just going to go with the cheap Amazon swivel stud to pic adapter thing so I can swap the bipod from T3x arca to that for now, I'll report on how that works out, too. I did order the 240mm RRS rail which has 3 slots for mounting and there are only 2 swivel studs. I'll probably end up drilling a third mounting point no matter what, but we'll see.

Hi Guys, Thought I'd try to tap some of the collective knowledge here for Tikkas. Considering building a PRS rifle, and want to do a Tikka instead of full custom or R700. (I already have R700). I was looking for a CTR in 260/24" to put in a chassis, but none left here. (Australia). Would consider the Tac A1, but a little rich at the moment at approx $3800 AUD. So I was offered a 6.5 PRC in a CTR. reasonable price, and adding a decent chassis would work. My main question tho is does anyone have a 10 round compatible mag that would work with a long chassis? It would need to be AICS I guess, which is no problem but the only 10 round AICS long mags I've seen are single stack and way too long.
Am I just better waiting for a CTR in 260/24" instead? At the price I can get the PRC, and add a chassis, would leave me $1000 better off than the TAC A1. That's a lotta ammo for practice..........
The AICS mag without front spacer will take a 75mm COAL which IIRC is 6.5PRC OAL too. MDT AICS mags are double stack single feed pic shows AICS 10, MDT 10, AICS 5 rnd mags.

324A1597-ED56-4EED-8C93-360BBE6CCAF8.jpeg

Reactions: gtr2010
View attachment 7742359
Not quite finished product, but getting close. Haven't torqued the barrel up yet as I need to find a gunsmith to throat it for longer bullets. Scope came in Monday, but its too close to the barrel for caps even with Hawkins highs.

What color Cerakote should I go with on the barrel ends and the action?

T3X Lite Alpine Veil action from JA outdoors
18" 7SAUM Carbon6 Prefit
Grayboe Phoenix in Desert Sage
Mt Tac factory bottom metal
Lumley bolt handle/knob/shroud
Salmon River Solutions 4" MLOK ARCA Plate
Hawkins Hybrid 25MOA Rings
Vortex Razor LHT FFP MOA

I'm looking to switch out the Hawkins rings for a Spuhr SCT-3006 for the recoil lug and use the integrated dovetail and a little more height.
How much does it weigh? Planning on shooting it suppressed? I have been trying to decide between a shorter 6.5 PRC and a 25 Creedmoor on one of my Tikka actions. I would need to get a new bolt if I go PRC.

How much does it weigh? Planning on shooting it suppressed? I have been trying to decide between a shorter 6.5 PRC and a 25 Creedmoor on one of my Tikka actions. I would need to get a new bolt if I go PRC.
8.5lbs scoped, 3rds loaded. Will be just over 9lbs with a suppressor

Reactions: 260284
Anyone buying something from Mtn Tactical?

I will wait until the next sale, and possibly upgrade bottom metal for my CTR.
OTOH, its a 223, so not that much recoil/flex during operation.

I might grab more magazines.
Between the CTR in a Sporter stock and the Sporter in a Bifrost, I don't have a use for non-Tikka pattern mags.

My next Tikka will (most likely) go into a KRG X-Ray. At that time I can start getting AICS mags.

I will wait until the next sale, and possibly upgrade bottom metal for my CTR.
OTOH, its a 223, so not that much recoil/flex during operation.

I might grab more magazines.
Between the CTR in a Sporter stock and the Sporter in a Bifrost, I don't have a use for non-Tikka pattern mags.

My next Tikka will (most likely) go into a KRG X-Ray. At that time I can start getting AICS mags.

I have a small credit left with them, 30 or so bucks that I won't use. You can have it if desired, just PM me and I'll give you the code.

I recently converted a Tikka T3 300 WM to a 6.5 PRC with a Proof CF prefit, Mesa precision stock. I’ve been really happy. I am ambidextrous, but shoot a rifle left handed.

I would love to find a LH T3 or T3X action with standard boltface if anyone has one. They seem to be unobtainium.

Has anyone seen this? MDT appears to be working on a MAMBA Mag for short action tikkas. Also says it can't be exported outside of Canada? Touche Canucks. Thought USA was the only one with strict export laws/ITAR lol

Edit: NVM Mambamag.com has existed in the USA and my Google Fu is weak. If only they did LA Tikka

Last edited:
74FE1AD9-93C1-4763-AF66-C2A05730BCA9.jpeg
More mag options for 223 users. Picked up a waters rifleman 2.6” 223 mag, was supposed to be a ten rounder but got sent a 6, 10 should be s route from Australia soon. Sucker goes in tite! But is well made and seems to feed well, time will tell. Suckers are not cheap, but to have the option to go from a ten round, to a flush 4 round for different hunting applications I’m hoping it works.

I’m hoping the 10 will allow me to shoot a match with the rifle if I want to. That and less reloading in prairie dog towns.

Reactions: Gleetu
ok, where do i find the tiny c-clip that holds the safety in place, i shot that across my garage into the abyss...

does anyone know if tikka actually imports the CTR .223 to the US? I see it listed on sites, but I’ve never seen one available here.
id be hard pressed to give up my T3 superlight, but I’ve always been interested in a CTR version

does anyone know if tikka actually imports the CTR .223 to the US? I see it listed on sites, but I’ve never seen one available here.
id be hard pressed to give up my T3 superlight, but I’ve always been interested in a CTR version

How does the CTR differ from the Varmint?

As much as I loved my 1-8” Superlite I sold it when I bought the Varmint.

P