• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

I'm honestly not sure if the swept ball handle will work with the folder or not, the length and angle the handle comes back might not fit through the hole in the cadex. Bit hard to change the ergonomics of the handle to suit the hole in the chassis - shortening the handle would make it harder to use. Could use a straight handle?

Yes. That would be great. I sent you an email ([email protected]) to request a change in the order to a standard pineapple handle. I can't foresee the pineapple not fitting. Can you make that change for me? I purchased a used rifle that has your swept ball handle already on it, so I'll try them both. The one that doesn't fit, I'll put on my other Tikka. I'll send you a report as to the fit in the chassis for future data and questions from your customers.

My new to me Tikka 260 AI.

Attachments

• 260 AI 1 (1).jpeg
    260 AI 1 (1).jpeg
    608.7 KB · Views: 286
  • 260 AI 1 (2).jpeg
    260 AI 1 (2).jpeg
    549.7 KB · Views: 337
  • 260 AI 1 (3).jpeg
    260 AI 1 (3).jpeg
    522.4 KB · Views: 322
Scotts556, I really wish that was a picture of the back seat of MY car ;). Is that the same stock in all three pictures and you painted it? Looks great! Is the barrel the original T3 barrel, but with a .243 AI reamer job?

I've got all of my incoming money until roughly July already dedicated to responsible family expenses, but I hope I'll be able to contribute to this thread some time around September. I already have a scope that is almost twice the price of a Tikka, but no proper precision rifle to mount it on...

Believe me when I tell you the itch for a new rifle gets bad when you have a gigantic European scope lying on your desk looking at you with the most adorable puppy eyes.

@madangler1 AI means "ackley improved", it's a handloading variation of a normal cartridge. Usually you take a barrel and ream out the chamber so that the taper of the cartridge is decreased and the shoulder is pushed forward. This means you get more volume for powder and your handloads get zippier. An AI chambered rifle can still fire cartridges from the original caliber, and that's usually how the AI shooters get the brass they need for handloading.

@madangler1 Its the bell and Carlson Tikka T3 CTR Target/ Competition Stock. 260 AI is pretty Sweet. The sholder angle is changed to 40 Degrees and the case taper is blown out. Gets you about 1 to 1.5 Grain more case capacity.

@762libertarian Same stock with a paint job. And no, its a Bartlin 5R 1X8 Twist in 260 AI. I have the Original 260 barrel than came with it. I traded a guy I shoot with my 6.5 SAUM for this. Pretty Excited. It came with some lapua brass. I still need to fire form 35 pieces to the AI chamber. And I'm pick up 100 RNDS on some factory match 260 to see how that stuff shoots so I have a factory ammo fall back if I get lazy.

Scott

Reactions: 762libertarian
CTR owners...anyone know why someone (Manners, McMillan, etc) hasn't done a blueprint-ish of the CTR stock?

I like what Tikka brought to us with the CTR stock, but I sure wouldn't mind having more options for stocks that accommodate the CTR DBM and CTR mags. There's bound to be some reason, yes?

I know I'd scoop up a Manners CTR copy cat with side flush cups in their elite tac carbon fiber.

CTR owners...anyone know why someone (Manners, McMillan, etc) hasn't done a blueprint-ish of the CTR stock?

I like what Tikka brought to us with the CTR stock, but I sure wouldn't mind having more options for stocks that accommodate the CTR DBM and CTR mags. There's bound to be some reason, yes?

I know I'd scoop up a Manners CTR copy cat with side flush cups in their elite tac carbon fiber.
I've ordered a Manners T4A with a CTR DBM inlet. I initially ordered a T2A, however, was told that the options with the CTR inlet are the T4A and T6A, any other stocks inlet for a tikka would require CDI bottom metal.

Both McMillan and Manners have been producing and selling CTR DBM inlet ready stocks for at least a couple of years.

Yes yes - they will inlet some of their stocks for the CTR DBM.

But none with similar ergonomics to the factory CTR stock. At least none that I'm aware of.

McMillan told me they would only inlet the Gamescout for the CTR DBM - not enough meat on others. Am I talking to the wrong person? Not getting the right info?

I just put the KRG Bravo on my CTR. I'm pretty happy with the look and feel. Hopefully I like it as much after a day at the range.

They are slowly starting to change, but the answer i have gotten repeatedly is that AICS is the standard so thats what they use. Again things are changing with manners and Mcmillan can inlet most or all of their stocks with the CTR DBM.

I just put the KRG Bravo on my CTR. I'm pretty happy with the look and feel. Hopefully I like it as much after a day at the range.

Let us know what you think after shooting it. I just ordered a CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor, and I figured I'd shoot it as is a few times before considering a new stock. The Bravo is definitely a candidate if I do replace the factory stock. I'd be interested in your impressions of the Bravo with the Tikka in it.

After having my CTR in a Bravo stock and using the AICS mags, I would swap out to a Bravo that accepted CTR mags in a NY minute. CTR/TRG mags are far nicer to use than AICS. I'm constantly feeding rounds into mag and out the back side of AICS mag and that gets old.

I just ordered a Tikka CTR from Whittakers -- can't wait to shoot it.

Regarding the CTR stock, I notice many people replace it.

For those who have replaced it, does the aftermarket stock/chassis improve accuracy? Or did you replace it for other purposes?

Thanks

I haven't replaced the CTR stock, mostly bc I like it and I find its a really nice stock for shooting and hunting.

That said - if someone made a similar type of stock (hybrid shooting/hunting/carry) that was also CTR DBM inlet, I'd pick it up, add side flush cups and be happy as can be.

I think most folks that replace the CTR stock are buying for the fantastic barreled action and accuracy that often comes with a much higher price tag. The CTR is a bargain for how well they normally shoot, along with the threaded muzzle if you plan to add a can.

Reactions: coltm4
I haven't replaced the CTR stock, mostly bc I like it and I find its a really nice stock for shooting and hunting.

That said - if someone made a similar type of stock (hybrid shooting/hunting/carry) that was also CTR DBM inlet, I'd pick it up, add side flush cups and be happy as can be.

I think most folks that replace the CTR stock are buying for the fantastic barreled action and accuracy that often comes with a much higher price tag. The CTR is a bargain for how well they normally shoot, along with the threaded muzzle if you plan to add a can.
Manners t6a is a brilliant option.

I've done some searches on google, ask Jeeves, netscape and on here and didn't find my answer. Looking to get a Tikka CTR 6.5 and wondering about the 20" vs 24". I've got access to a 100-1200 yard range. Grown up deer hunting/hog hunting and have property to hunt. I'm intrigued by long range shooting but not sure how "into it" I'll get.

Pros of 20" Available locally even though it's a little more $$$
Shorter barrel/ "easier" If I take it hunting though stand hunting it doesn't make that much of a difference.
I could put a can on it but I highly doubt I would

cons
Is there a difference in accuracy 600-1200 vs the 24"? I can reload

Pros for 24"
Seems like everyone has this version
resale I'm assuming will be easier

Looking to put a SHV or NXS on it and dabble in LR shooting and if I get super into LR shooting then upgrade as I go, otherwise keep it for hunting or sell.

There is no accuracy difference between the two. I have a 20”, my buddy has the 24”. If we are doing our part they are sub half to half moa rifles. The difference is the velocity. My loads, same charge, brass, bullet, primers as my buddy is 190fps slower. While i can still hit steel at 1200, I need more hold over on wind.

good to hear , I just bought 20" t3x compact and was hoping using shorter barrel wouldn't hurt me . I use suppressor- why I chose 20 vs 24" hunting. I got buyers regret and wondered if I really screwed up on shorter barrel

There is no accuracy difference between the two. I have a 20”, my buddy has the 24”. If we are doing our part they are sub half to half moa rifles. The difference is the velocity. My loads, same charge, brass, bullet, primers as my buddy is 190fps slower. While i can still hit steel at 1200, I need more hold over on wind.

Thanks that’s exactly the info and experience I was looking for.

I wish Tikka made a .260 in a 24" barrel. CTR, Lite, whatever. Just make it!

Took out the new T3x lite in. 308 the other day. Couple of sighters and she was good to go. This range only goes to 300y, but no issues hitting the steel where I wanted to. Printed decent groups at 100, sub MOA. I expect it to get better as I shoot it more.

Going between the tikka and my 700 makes me really like the tikka more and more.

Looks like the .223 likes 77 grains from what I’m seeing.

500 rounds of 77g black hills should be on my door step today. Can’t wait to see how they do.

Looks like the .223 likes 77 grains from what I’m seeing.

500 rounds of 77g black hills should be on my door step today. Can’t wait to see how they do.

Should work well for you. My stock Tikka t3 loves Sierra TMK 77gr bullet. I just picked a load with Vihtavuori 140 powder giving me 2712 fps average velocity and got these results. Guess I could get a better load, but this works for me nicely as I like shooting more than reloading.

2eZ5F0Ql.jpg

hzkG4l5l.jpg

Sorry about ratty targets but I'm retired and a penny saved is, you know;)

This group with H4895 but Average velocity 2677fps

Ir76JSil.jpg

These are 5 shot, 100yd groups, upper group new Lapua brass, no prep.
bottom group, sized twice LC brass, trimmed x1, no other prep, like I said, I like shooting more the reloading.

Last edited:
^ Nice shooting!

I have a T3x SL 300 WM and a 24" CTR 6.5 on the way from Whittakers. Just wondering, is anyone torquing the action screws in the factory stocks to what the manual specs? I think it's 62-63 in lbs? I've been doing 45 in lbs instead, as 60+ seems like quite a bit for a synthetic stock.

Should work well for you. My stock Tikka t3 loves Sierra TMK 77gr bullet. I just picked a load with Vihtavuori 140 powder giving me 2712 fps average velocity and got these results. Guess I could get a better load, but this works for me nicely as I like shooting more than reloading.

2eZ5F0Ql.jpg

hzkG4l5l.jpg

Sorry about ratty targets but I'm retired and a penny saved is, you know;)

This group with H4895 but Average velocity 2677fps

Ir76JSil.jpg

These are 5 shot, 100yd groups, upper group new Lapua brass, no prep.
bottom group, sized twice LC brass, trimmed x1, no other prep, like I said, I like shooting more the reloading.
What model Tikka????THANKS

^ Nice shooting!

I have a T3x SL 300 WM and a 24" CTR 6.5 on the way from Whittakers. Just wondering, is anyone torquing the action screws in the factory stocks to what the manual specs? I think it's 62-63 in lbs? I've been doing 45 in lbs instead, as 60+ seems like quite a bit for a synthetic stock.
The manual has to be wrong, it says 7 Nm (62 in-lb) In my book that is too much
As a rule of thumb I use 45 in/lb for not pillar bedded stocks and 55 in/lb for pillar bedded stocks.

The manual has to be wrong, it says 7 Nm (62 in-lb) In my book that is too much
As a rule of thumb I use 45 in/lb for not pillar bedded stocks and 55 in/lb for pillar bedded stocks.

See reply #12 below. I’m using 35 in-lb for my factory plastic stock.

http://www.tikkashooters.com/public_html/gunsmithing/tikka-torque-settings/

Thank you both for the info. I knew the manual specs seemed like way too much. I think I'll go with 35 in lbs the next time I have it apart.

Thank you both for the info. I knew the manual specs seemed like way too much. I think I'll go with 35 in lbs the next time I have it apart.
If you really want to get the best accuracy from your rifle try different front and rear settings when your at the range.
I went from 60 in lbs on both and started dropping a few at a time till I hit my sweet spot at 45 front and 40 on the rear and my groups really tightened up.

If you really want to get the best accuracy from your rifle try different front and rear settings when your at the range.
I went from 60 in lbs on both and started dropping a few at a time till I hit my sweet spot at 45 front and 40 on the rear and my groups really tightened up.

Interesting. I might have to try that! So when you found your rifle's sweet spot, what did your groups shrink to? And the change in torque was the only variable for this change?

Interesting. I might have to try that! So when you found your rifle's sweet spot, what did your groups shrink to? And the change in torque was the only variable for this change?
Mine went from 1 inch at 100 to close to .5 and yes using the same factory ammo.
The gun shoots a lot better than my old ass :)
Doing the torque thing is nothing new you might be able to google and find some reviews of people doing the same thing.
Most people don't take the time to try it cause it does eat up some ammo.....

Reactions: Kraze
Mine sits in a manner T4A, fully bedded with pillars and I use 45/45” lbs. Best accuracy for me was 40-50”lbs so i picked the middle.

How many you guys have the new KRG Bravo chassis in your Tikka rifles?
I have ordered on in Sako green, kind of keen to wait it to arrive.

I was an early adopter and wish I had waited for the Sako green. Other than that, I love the Bravo chassis. I can use the TRG bipod which is second only to the Elite Iron Revolution bipod IMO.

Reactions: viking78
How many you guys have the new KRG Bravo chassis in your Tikka rifles?
I have ordered on in Sako green, kind of keen to wait it to arrive.
I have it and the only complain I have is the cheekriser, when rised you can't completely open the bolt all the way back. I had to filed it with a dremel in order to work.

Reactions: viking78
Ok, so it is a minor thing, i think that they are doing a little change for that riser.
Same thing it was with my MDT ESS chassis what i bought straight that time they made it for Tikka.
Now when i bought new one, that cheek piece has a slot on the front of the riser.
But i think that if you have a T3/T3X 308win, that bolt is not moving so much back, as it does in the CTR, because it has the bolt release same as it on the long action model, because the CTR magazine.
I have though CTR, so i might need to do some dremeling with the cheek riser.

Reactions: dannySH
I was an early adopter and wish I had waited for the Sako green. Other than that, I love the Bravo chassis. I can use the TRG bipod which is second only to the Elite Iron Revolution bipod IMO.

Do you have picture of your rig with TRG bipod on it?
I would love to see a picture of that.
I bought Atlas TRG bipod mount, because i got it so cheap.
Thinking to make it to my Bravo, so i dont need to buy that little bit expensive spigot mount for my chassis.
I might need to do some modification on the chassis, but it should fit there.
This is the mount.
bt21-atlas-trg-bracket-atb.jpg

Going to be tough to make that work with the KRG backbone. I had that Atlas mount for my TRG and thought the same thing but sold it here because it was not going to work easily.

New to the site and PR. A few months back decided I really wanted to give this a try. I had looked at the RPR and several other nice factor rifles but just could not pass up the chance to do it the way I wanted. To date I have purchased a 6.5 CTR that I have a practice scope mounted to to get some trigger time in. Already installed the YoDave trigger spring and mounted a Harris bipod. Have a MPA Competition chassis on order about 8 weeks in and just ordered a Sig Tango6 and Spuhr mount. I am very excited to get it all here and put together. The rifle is very accurate with factory ammo. Very happy with the CTR choice.

BE2759D0-6F9C-4CA1-A69F-0439CCDFAC3D.jpeg
5E1A06D1-A1EC-42CE-BBB4-6CFBC0140AD5.jpeg

For anyone who has had a Manner's inletted for aftermarket DBM who did you go with? CDI Precision? Manner's? elsewhere? Bought the stock off here and it's for the Factory DBM, last thing left to do on this build.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu120/hobbes442/003_zpsypdjq4jv.jpg

new also for longer range . tikka T3x 20" barrel. added Athlon Helos 6-24*50 scope on seekins high precision rings. 7.62 specwar can .
most shooting is hogs at night with IR defense Mark 2 Thermal on a Scar 17 or 300 blackout rifle . wanted somrthing for daytime and longer yardage at dusk . Tikka seemed to be decent choice for money
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu120/hobbes442/003_zpsngz7louq.jpg

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/...f-c76e-4155-bc0e-ec8a99899520_zps6i0y7wef.jpg

Do you have picture of your rig with TRG bipod on it?
I would love to see a picture of that.
I bought Atlas TRG bipod mount, because i got it so cheap.
Thinking to make it to my Bravo, so i dont need to buy that little bit expensive spigot mount for my chassis.
I might need to do some modification on the chassis, but it should fit there.
This is the mount.
bt21-atlas-trg-bracket-atb.jpg
CvFoQPk.jpg