• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

Hi everyone!
I've been away from this forum for a couple of years and now I'm back. Definitely missed you guys.

I've decided to leave my usual Remington 700 set-up and go for a Tikka T3x. They look really good!

Wanted to ask you guys, since my knowledge on the Tikka is limited, why are people getting the CTR instead Varmint or another model? Is there a special reason?

I was thinking about getting the Varmint in a Bravo chassi but was a bit unsure if there is anything better to the CTR?
Are you in the usa? If so make sure you are looking at the en-us site. http://www.tikka.fi/en-us/rifles

The reason is that the varmint is only available in 223 or 22-250 in the US.

If I could order from the international site http://www.tikka.fi/rifles I'd get a lefty stainless ctr in 6.5 creed. But no, I can't. Have to start from a t3x lite.

Reactions: Brighthighlight
Are you in the usa? If so make sure you are looking at the en-us site. http://www.tikka.fi/en-us/rifles

The reason is that the varmint is only available in 223 or 22-250 in the US.

If I could order from the international site http://www.tikka.fi/rifles I'd get a lefty stainless ctr in 6.5 creed. But no, I can't. Have to start from a t3x lite.
You can get the Varmint in 6.5 Creed in the U.S. now.
https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka-T3x-Varmint-65-Creedmoor-2433-1-8-Rifle-JRTXH382.aspx
https://grabagun.com/beretta-tikka-t3x-var-blued-synthetic-6-5creedmoor-24-inch.html

Hi everyone!
I've been away from this forum for a couple of years and now I'm back. Definitely missed you guys.

I've decided to leave my usual Remington 700 set-up and go for a Tikka T3x. They look really good!

Wanted to ask you guys, since my knowledge on the Tikka is limited, why are people getting the CTR instead Varmint or another model? Is there a special reason?

I was thinking about getting the Varmint in a Bravo chassi but was a bit unsure if there is anything better to the CTR?

Threaded barrel, scope rail, full size mags

Hi everyone!

CTR has teflon coated bolt.
CTR has alloy bottom metal.
CTR has 10-round metal magazine.
CTR has steel picatinny rail.
CTR has semi heavy barrel, good to shoot that 5-rounds in one hole, but not the weight of varmint.
CTR has bigger bolt handle.
CTR is just awesome, i have two of these:eek:.

what's preferred load for CTR in .308? factory ammo that is. tried searching and am slowly moving through 59 pages here. just grabbed a CTR.

what's preferred load for CTR in .308? factory ammo that is. tried searching and am slowly moving through 59 pages here. just grabbed a CTR.

I've had great luck with Hornady 178gr Superformance match in mine. Overall it shoots everything very well, but it likes that and some of the Prime I've tried the best.

CTR comes with threaded barrel. If going bravo then stock and mags will not matter.

FYI I just got a Bravo but I here they might come out with one that works with the CTR mags.

Oooooo that'd be nice.
May be a KRG Bravo in my future after all.

I really like the CTR barrels, but I went with the varmint for several of my builds since I prefer a different pic rail, bolt handle/shroud, stock and mags. Only downside is needing to get it threaded, which is annoying, but oh well.

I've heard .223 Tikka owners complain about the magazine restricting COAL ? Could this have been an issue with the 77 gr bullets?

77gr SMKs are quite short stumpy bullets compared to ELD's and Bergers, the 77gr TMK is longer than the SMK but still ok at mag length.
The issue comes with 75gr and 80gr ELDs and Berger went seated into the lands, or close too.
There are a few options for modifying the factory mag, but in general using these long (high BC) bullets are a right PITA.

Bought the Bergara will let you know how it goes
Well I can't get a group under 2" at 100 yds, called Scheels and Bergara. Begara wasn't very friendly but Scheels said they would exchange it. thanks to Scheels. I like the look, feel, stock and handling of the Bergara, not too fond of the trigger, bolt fits sloppy and the accuracy sucked. Hope the next one does better. The feel of the magazine is good and solid. Will let everyone know how the next one goes.

06BD4B63-9EB3-404A-9709-4DCA2717C98B.jpeg
Got a 22 Creed build underway. Picked up a TAC A1 chassis from a fellow SH member. Donor T3 action. Just waiting on my 1:7 Hardy CF bbl to get here.

I really like the CTR barrels, but I went with the varmint for several of my builds since I prefer a different pic rail, bolt handle/shroud, stock and mags. Only downside is needing to get it threaded, which is annoying, but oh well.

I went with the Varmint because they didn't make the CTR in 2007 when I bought it. I'd like to get mine threaded

Hey guys... might not be the right place to ask this question, but do imgur links work here?

I posted 2 pics above of my 2 tikkas, the photos show up on my computer but not on my phone. I'm wondering if they show for anyone else?

Since we are all Tikka fans and owners maybe someone here has some incite - what has happened to Whittaker Guns? They used to have THE BEST prices on all Tikkas except the TAC A1. You used to have to email them for the price. Now, it's posted and they are the same as Cabela's etc.

Anyone know what happened? thanks

Also, has anyone tried the MPA vertical grip on their TAC A1? Pics?

Pics of different grips if not the MPA? thx

Since we are all Tikka fans and owners maybe someone here has some incite - what has happened to Whittaker Guns? They used to have THE BEST prices on all Tikkas except the TAC A1. You used to have to email them for the price. Now, it's posted and they are the same as Cabela's etc.

Anyone know what happened? thanks

Yeah, Tikka changed their pricing policy. This is what Darrik, the GM, posted back in June on 24hourcampfire:

Expect to pay more for it than you would have before today!

Tikka just came out with a new MAP policy effective June 6th. They didn’t increase cost, they’re just insisting dealers sell the gun for more money. It’s the strictest MAP policy in the business. No more email for price, no more telling customers to call for the best price, no more advertised sale prices. It MAP or else.

Needless to say, I’m pissed. Most of you know where we were on pricing before the end of the programs a couple months ago on the SS T3X Lite. Now MAP is $748.00. That’s almost $200 more than they were.

We were a seven figure volume Tikka dealer. I expect our sales to decrease 75-90%. Honestly, I hope they see numbers plummet nationwide. It’s hard to swallow when a manufacturer tells you to gouge a customer.

I’m not sure how our future with Beretta (Tikka’s parent company) will unfold.

I got my Tikka 6.5 CM done finally, going to the range tomorrow for the first time to see how it shoots. Started as a Tikka T3 308, got the bolt fluted by LRI, went with a Broughton barrel, Manners PRS TK1 w/ mini chassis, Mountain Tactical picatinny base, bolt knob, shroud and trigger spring, Thunder Beast CB mount. Topped it off with a Spuhr 30mm scope Mount and a Vortex PST Gen II 5-25x50 FFP
8AC3D443-82C7-4930-87AC-CCCEA5C0727A.jpeg

Anyone heard anything about a CTR in .223?

I could think that there might be coming some where in time, since they have TAC A1 in 223rem, why not make it in CTR too.
For sure this i can not tell or say, but if there would be enough asking of that, some one might be listen in these request.
I could also see Tikka CTR in 6 Creedmoor, that 243win is just a dinosaur on 6mm list.
They use same magazine and action, and so on, i would like to see that 223rem CTR too.

Visited on the 100-yard today.
Got new supressor in test.

Whilst talking Tkka’s with the same Darrik at Whittakers, he confirmed that Tikka is going to make the CTR in 223 with 8 twist barrel. No release date though...

Reactions: HaysKSFirefighter
I don't know if they are imported into the US but there is already the Tikka T3x Varmint in .223 with the same barrel twist. The mags only hold six rounds, but unless it's a match gun - who cares? I have a CTR and I love it, but the regular bottom fittings and trigger guard look a lot better.

Or you could get a .223 T3x today and replace the bottom fitting with something that is AICS compatible. The reason why I'm not excited about a .223 CTR magazine is that it will be a complete oddball magazine. The .308 CTR magazine feeds the plethora of .308 based cartridges like .243, 6.5 Creedmoor et.c. It has also been around for a long time, since it's actually a Sako TRG magazine. The .223 Remington CTR magazine will be used only for .223 Remington, and maybe .300 BLK for some custom build.

If I would be lusting for a Tikka in .223, I'd go with the regular plastic mags or an AICS conversion. But what do you guys intend to use your .223 CTR's for anyway?

Reactions: 260284
I don't know if they are imported into the US but there is already the Tikka T3x Varmint in .223 with the same barrel twist. The mags only hold six rounds, but unless it's a match gun - who cares? I have a CTR and I love it, but the regular bottom fittings and trigger guard look a lot better.

Or you could get a .223 T3x today and replace the bottom fitting with something that is AICS compatible. The reason why I'm not excited about a .223 CTR magazine is that it will be a complete oddball magazine. The .308 CTR magazine feeds the plethora of .308 based cartridges like .243, 6.5 Creedmoor et.c. It has also been around for a long time, since it's actually a Sako TRG magazine. The .223 Remington CTR magazine will be used only for .223 Remington, and maybe .300 BLK for some custom build.

If I would be lusting for a Tikka in .223, I'd go with the regular plastic mags or an AICS conversion. But what do you guys intend to use your .223 CTR's for anyway?

I have a varmint with CDI bottom metal and I use MDT magazines. The factory mags severly limit you in COAL. I am loading 75 gr ELDM to 2.49" and am getting 2950 fps out of the factory barrel. Hopefully the 223 CTR mags give the longer COAL to make good use of the 8 twist barrel without going to aftermarket magazines.

I have a varmint with CDI bottom metal and I use MDT magazines. The factory mags severly limit you in COAL. I am loading 75 gr ELDM to 2.49" and am getting 2950 fps out of the factory barrel. Hopefully the 223 CTR mags give the longer COAL to make good use of the 8 twist barrel without going to aftermarket magazines.
Seems like magazines would be much cheaper and easier to try than a whole other gun.

How many you lads are using supressor and muzzle brakes?
I have really start to fall in love this Tikka T3X TAC A1 muzzle brake.
It has same point of impact as my Ase Utra SL5i supressor, so if i need to remove my brake and put supressor, i dont need to do any adjustment
for my scope, which is helping me for any math calculations in the middle of shooting.
For sure easier it is, if you have brake that you can slide your supressor on, but that change POI and then you need the math.
For me this Tikka brake and AU supressor is not the best choice.
I had AU borelock brake and AU supressor with quick mount, but that combo raised that supressor weight up to 200g, so the set will weight about 550g.
That is good set, but i dont want too heavy set up on the barrel.
This Tikka brake is very effective, recoil with this brake is a fragile push.

How do you support it
How many you lads are using supressor and muzzle brakes?
I have really start to fall in love this Tikka T3X TAC A1 muzzle brake.
It has same point of impact as my Ase Utra SL5i supressor, so if i need to remove my brake and put supressor, i dont need to do any adjustment
for my scope, which is helping me for any math calculations in the middle of shooting.
For sure easier it is, if you have brake that you can slide your supressor on, but that change POI and then you need the math.
For me this Tikka brake and AU supressor is not the best choice.
I had AU borelock brake and AU supressor with quick mount, but that combo raised that supressor weight up to 200g, so the set will weight about 550g.
That is good set, but i dont want too heavy set up on the barrel.
This Tikka brake is very effective, recoil with this brake is a fragile push.

Awesome music, and that rifle looks like it's fixated to the ground. Very cool

Good evening, not sure how to create a new thread yet...and not sure anyone can answer but here we go...I’ve had an APA little B on my 24” CTR and haven’t removed it since I attached back in March...I took it off and noticed carbon buildup, does anyone know how to remove and will the carbon affect accuracy? Lately my shots have spread out the Tikka has consistently shot sub .5 moa. Thanks for any feed back. She has about 900-1000 rounds through the barrel. Thanks for any help. Picture attached

I use an ultrasonic cleaner.

How do you support it

Awesome music, and that rifle looks like it's fixated to the ground. Very cool

Thank you :)
Nice to hear you guys liked.
This is just a hobby for me, i try take some video when i am shooting and try to make it watchable, even a mite :)
In that video you can see, how well that Sterl bolt handle is working, you are getting the bold opening and pulling the bolt back quite much easier than it is with the stock version, and when it is a little bit bigger, that momentum you can put to the bolt handle, is smaller with Sterk handle, than what is is with the stock one, or the modified ones that does not have this swept part that Sterk has.
Just flip your finger straight, lift your hand a bit and the bolt is open and little swing your wrist and fired case is ejected.
I also love that MDT ESS chassis, that thumb shelf is just awesome idea to add, if that would not be in this chassis, might not used anymore, but with that shelf, this chassis is so good to use.
I have been thinking to get one of these to my self, even it´s a bit heavy, like all alloy chassis are, but this is just f..g good.
I like it a lot better thant Tikka TAC A1 chassis is, cheekrest is better, main chassis is better, uses AICS magazines, better design, only think that is not that good invented as Tikka and couple of those chassis that use AR-15/10 free float tubes, that you are hooked of those MDT forends, which are very good, and choices of those are also wide, but variety of those AR tubes are just endles.

Last edited:
Reactions: cannoncrossfire
Maybe I've missed it in the thread, but is how is everyone in the US getting the Sterk handles? I see a link to a US store where they are OOS, and a Facebook page for an Australian company that doesn't really seem very active.

Is anyone currently taking orders for these handles?

Yeah, Tikka changed their pricing policy. This is what Darrik, the GM, posted back in June on 24hourcampfire:

Expect to pay more for it than you would have before today!

Tikka just came out with a new MAP policy effective June 6th. They didn’t increase cost, they’re just insisting dealers sell the gun for more money. It’s the strictest MAP policy in the business. No more email for price, no more telling customers to call for the best price, no more advertised sale prices. It MAP or else.

Needless to say, I’m pissed. Most of you know where we were on pricing before the end of the programs a couple months ago on the SS T3X Lite. Now MAP is $748.00. That’s almost $200 more than they were.

We were a seven figure volume Tikka dealer. I expect our sales to decrease 75-90%. Honestly, I hope they see numbers plummet nationwide. It’s hard to swallow when a manufacturer tells you to gouge a customer.

I’m not sure how our future with Beretta (Tikka’s parent company) will unfold.
That's crazy, I've been shopping around for a month and did notice all the prices jumped up recently. Sadly I was just able to order yesterday. But still got a decent deal on a ss 24" t3x ctr in 6.5

Maybe I've missed it in the thread, but is how is everyone in the US getting the Sterk handles? I see a link to a US store where they are OOS, and a Facebook page for an Australian company that doesn't really seem very active.

For a lot of small manufacturers, products are always shown as "out of stock" or "backordered". But that just means "I can't afford to keep inventory, so I manufacture on-demand, whenever I have enough orders to make a production run worthwhile."

For those manufacturers (Sterk, Aadland, etc.), it's almost pointless to wait until your item is in stock, because it might never be. Instead, just place an order and you'll get one from the next batch.

I was lucky and found my Sterk knob in stock at Tactical Works (the US distributor). But for Aadland scope caps and other perpetually backordered items, I've placed orders and usually had them in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: cannoncrossfire

Sterk here. The facebook page was updated 14 days ago with new shroud designs. The last batch of hundreds of parts was 3 months ago, the next one is due for October/November and already a list is in the hundreds of parts. More distributors are getting on board so hopefully that helps with availability. I've been making Tikka parts for 5 years or so now and have had very few - if any complaints about the wait, which hopefully reflects well on the product. Sure I'd love to not have any wait time, but even making more parts than required has me sold out fast.

Thanks to the other guys helping him out about ordering.

Thank you :)
Nice to hear you guys liked.
This is just a hobby for me, i try take some video when i am shooting and try to make it watchable, even a mite :)
In that video you can see, how well that Sterl bolt handle is working, you are getting the bold opening and pulling the bolt back quite much easier than it is with the stock version, and when it is a little bit bigger, that momentum you can put to the bolt handle, is smaller with Sterk handle, than what is is with the stock one, or the modified ones that does not have this swept part that Sterk has.
Just flip your finger straight, lift your hand a bit and the bolt is open and little swing your wrist and fired case is ejected.
I also love that MDT ESS chassis, that thumb shelf is just awesome idea to add, if that would not be in this chassis, might not used anymore, but with that shelf, this chassis is so good to use.
I have been thinking to get one of these to my self, even it´s a bit heavy, like all alloy chassis are, but this is just f..g good.
I like it a lot better thant Tikka TAC A1 chassis is, cheekrest is better, main chassis is better, uses AICS magazines, better design, only think that is not that good invented as Tikka and couple of those chassis that use AR-15/10 free float tubes, that you are hooked of those MDT forends, which are very good, and choices of those are also wide, but variety of those AR tubes are just endles.

Where are you from, if I may ask?