• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

I don't think the flutes are the cause. It happens with the bolt all the way to the rear when the flutes aren't even in contact with the action channel.

I gave it a good cleaning and its definitely a bit better, but still not perfect.
Naw that kind of fluting isnt doing it. I was thinking if it were spiral fluted, spiral flutes if not done right can cause issues. Maybe the bolt stop is peening?

Terrible back ground picture, but this is my CTR 6.5

Attachments

• PA270005.JPG
    PA270005.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 141
Reactions: 45user
KRG Midas for one, Timney as the other...not sure if there are others now...

There are other Tikka 2 stage triggers available meow

I was more wondering if the stock A1 trigger could be had a lot cheaper than those, or if someone with an A1 wanted to trade for a CTR single stage. I would want the KRG though.

Who else makes a 2 stage besides Timney, Bix, KRG?

Last edited:
The Bix & Andy is $450.00. That’s a pretty hefty chunk of change, and would definitely cut a wide swath thru the rifle budget.

Reactions: BigTex
IMG_9306.JPG IMG_9307.JPG
How on earth does Tikka get its rifles to shoot so well on what almost looks like an "unbedded" stock?

There's minimal support here! :eek:

So I have a concern about barrel. It’s the factory barrel and about 3/4 of the way down the barrel when pushing a patch or brush through there is a smooth spot about 2 inches that give little resistance then goes back to normal till the crown. Any ideas?

View attachment 7020304View attachment 7020307
How on earth does Tikka get its rifles to shoot so well on what almost looks like an "unbedded" stock?

There's minimal support here! :eek:

Because we've been led to believe a bunch of fake news. The gun industry is full of it. Who says a receiver needs to be bedded in order to shoot properly? The people who buy factory guns that don't shoot and then spend 3X trying to fix it.

The glass filled nylon and recoil lug do a fine job of keeping the receiver in place. All the hype from the custom receiver makers would suggest that anything aside from a one piece machined tomb stone recoil lug won't be capable of hitting the paper.

A million Tikkas a day prove that wrong.

-Stooxie

So I have a concern about barrel. It’s the factory barrel and about 3/4 of the way down the barrel when pushing a patch or brush through there is a smooth spot about 2 inches that give little resistance then goes back to normal till the crown. Any ideas?

It can't be a CTR as they just started making those in .223, so it is probably a Varmint that has been cut off. Is it a 1-8" twist? All Tikka barrels are hammer forged, so it could be a spot that didn't get hit as much. Shoot it and see how it does. If it is a 1-8", it should like the 75 ELDM. Mine is a hammer with them at 3025 fps out of the factory full length barrel.

The bottom action is my varmint and it doesn't have the slot that my CTR and other T3 has.

Attachments

• 1-17-19 002.jpg
    1-17-19 002.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 1-29-19 027.jpg
    1-29-19 027.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: Strike_out
It can't be a CTR as they just started making those in .223, so it is probably a Varmint that has been cut off. Is it a 1-8" twist? All Tikka barrels are hammer forged, so it could be a spot that didn't get hit as much. Shoot it and see how it does. If it is a 1-8", it should like the 75 ELDM. Mine is a hammer with them at 3025 fps out of the factory full length barrel.

The bottom action is my varmint and it doesn't have the slot that my CTR and other T3 has.

It is a 1:8
I have load tested both the 75 and 80 and the 75 does real well with Varget. What’s your distance from the lands?

I have load tested both the 75 and 80 and the 75 does real well with Varget. What’s your distance from the lands?

.020" with the 75 ELDM, CCI450, H4895, and NAMMO brass. 4895 gave me better velocity than Varget and lower SD's.

Reactions: Strike_out
a
Because we've been led to believe a bunch of fake news. The gun industry is full of it.

Yes, indeed.

Not to mention the hordes of alpha male tacticle sheepdoggies endowed with omnicognizant situationel awareness! :ROFLMAO:

@260284 do you mind getting a measurement of your varmint barrel right behind the threads?

I like the Thunderbeast 30CB with an Ultra7 mounted.

5/8 x 24 threads
I'm running the TBAC Ultra 9
I did have to have the shoulder cut back a little on the barrel as it was not cut properly from the factory.

Alright guys I need some input, I bought a Tikka TAC A1 and love the way the rifle feels but had issues with the federal berger 130's factory ammo. Anybody else have horrible results with Federal Berger 130"s? What is the most accurate factory load you guys have found? To say I was dissappointed is an understatement:

Brand new Tikka Tac A1 24" 6.5 Creedmoor, 5rd Magneto Speed Avg MV 2758 ES 71 , SD 19. Zeroed at 100 shot around MOA or slightly less, went to 600 had 8-10" groups (5-shot) with vertical stringing, went to 1000 and had 20-24" groups (5 and 10-shot) with vertical stringing. In all the groups I shot there would always be 1-3 rounds way outside of the main group (that was holding MOA or better) causing the groups to open up substantially.

I swapped scopes, checked torque on every bolt on the Tikka/Scopes. Shot my Sako .308 at 100, 600, and 1000 just to confirm it wasn't the shooter. Tried everything I could think of. I went with this ammo over the Hornady because I've such great luck with the 185 Juggernauts in my .308. 120rds later I'm pissed!

Guess I'll try some 140/147's and hope it's not my rifle and only the ammo...

Reactions: Statie07
Alright guys I need some input, I bought a Tikka TAC A1 and love the way the rifle feels but had issues with the federal berger 130's factory ammo. Anybody else have horrible results with Federal Berger 130"s? What is the most accurate factory load you guys have found? To say I was dissappointed is an understatement:

Brand new Tikka Tac A1 24" 6.5 Creedmoor, 5rd Magneto Speed Avg MV 2758 ES 71 , SD 19. Zeroed at 100 shot around MOA or slightly less, went to 600 had 8-10" groups (5-shot) with vertical stringing, went to 1000 and had 20-24" groups (5 and 10-shot) with vertical stringing. In all the groups I shot there would always be 1-3 rounds way outside of the main group (that was holding MOA or better) causing the groups to open up substantially.

I swapped scopes, checked torque on every bolt on the Tikka/Scopes. Shot my Sako .308 at 100, 600, and 1000 just to confirm it wasn't the shooter. Tried everything I could think of. I went with this ammo over the Hornady because I've such great luck with the 185 Juggernauts in my .308. 120rds later I'm pissed!

Guess I'll try some 140/147's and hope it's not my rifle and only the ammo...

260rem likes very much Lapua 123gr Scenar and Vihtavuori N150 powder.
Also 139gr Scenar does awesome job.
Hornady ELD match also very good bullet, but expensive in here.
If you try Vihtavuori poweders, check this list.
https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/rifle-reloading/?cartridge=95

I should mention that I am going to be running factory ammo for awhile as I don't have the time or means to reload right now. I guess I was surprised because a lot of guys here are reloading the 130 berger and having great results. I did not buy any other factory ammo to try so I guess that is what I should do next. I have had great luck with the 185 juggernauts out of my .308 and thought the 130's would perform to the same standard. I'm not ruling the rifle out, but I have had several Sako rifles over the years and they have all been great shooters with factory ammo. This is my first Tikka so only time will tell, but their reputation is great.

I had great success with the 69 g TMK Sierra too loaded to mag length out of my 1-8 but the 75 ELDM wouldn’t fit in the mag.

I should mention that I am going to be running factory ammo for awhile as I don't have the time or means to reload right now. I guess I was surprised because a lot of guys here are reloading the 130 berger and having great results. I did not buy any other factory ammo to try so I guess that is what I should do next. I have had great luck with the 185 juggernauts out of my .308 and thought the 130's would perform to the same standard. I'm not ruling the rifle out, but I have had several Sako rifles over the years and they have all been great shooters with factory ammo. This is my first Tikka so only time will tell, but their reputation is great.
Try the 130 from Prime?
Those groups don’t sound too good and certainly suggests a small issue somewhere if they continue. Make sure there is nothing touching the barrel hidden somewhere in the channel?
I’m using the 130g Creedmoor load from Norma and it shoots nicely so maybe Norma is an option too.

Try the 130 from Prime?
Those groups don’t sound too good and certainly suggests a small issue somewhere if they continue. Make sure there is nothing touching the barrel hidden somewhere in the channel?
I’m using the 130g Creedmoor load from Norma and it shoots nicely so maybe Norma is an option too.

I'm gonna start with 140 ELD's and go from there. I have another lot# of 130 bergers I'm gonna chrono as well, but I'm putting Prime and Norma on my short list. I took the gun apart 3 times to check for barrel contact and torque issues. I'll keep you guys updated.

Reactions: SlimySquirrel
I'm gonna start with 140 ELD's and go from there. I have another lot# of 130 bergers I'm gonna chrono as well, but I'm putting Prime and Norma on my short list. I took the gun apart 3 times to check for barrel contact and torque issues. I'll keep you guys updated.

For factory ammo, try Prime or Hornady as already mentioned... my Tac A1 really likes Prime 130gr and the Hornady American Gunner 140gr.

Federal GM 130 Berger’s have been hit or miss for me across several rifles. I won’t be buying any more.

Forgot to ask about cleaning also?

Worth asking just to narrow down any possible oversight as they’re pretty easy to do when we just wanna shoot the tight group!

@260284 do you mind getting a measurement of your varmint barrel right behind the threads?
It is a stamped tikka bbl I will measure though and look at the bottom of the action. Not too sure if you’ll be able to tell as there has been quite a bit of material removed on the bottoms to make the bottom metal and mags fit. It is a little rough under there. I’ll get pics shortly the riffle is still in the truck as I just got home from using it at the Pawnee club match.

I would buy in smaller quantities to test. Every rifle will display different preferences. Something to add to the equation is also availability of match ammmo. Good prices and availability for several flavors of 6.5 ammo through mile high shooting. Try Hornady’s 120, 140, & 147.
Berger has loaded ammo at good prices through Bruno’s in 120, 130, 135, and 140.One advantage with Berger will be the high quality Lapua brass you can reload or sell. I’ve had good results with all of the Berger ammo in testing through a 24”CTR.

Several reports of Hornady’s American Gunner shooting well in Tikka’s no personal experience.

I would love a whiskey 3 for my tikka. Just hard to justify the price when the factory stock still allows great precision.

Reactions: HowiePb82
Ok guys kinda new to this so. I’m sure this has been ask before but can you put a proof carbon fiber barrel on a Tikka t3x action