• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

tikka varmint bighorn origin

blister

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
would you get tikka varmint or bighorn origin for a 22-250 varmint rifle? used on coyotes even deer and pigs here in south carolina . Origin would have bartlein or krieger 8 twist barrel. Maybe manners or krg bravo chassis.

What twist is on that Tikka? I would imagine it comes with a shitty twist so you won't be able to load heavies for deer.

Yeah comes with 1-14 twist so that would have to wait to be shot out before rebarreling.

For a varmint rifle in a 22-250 I would just get the tikka and be done with it. Dont shoot it awhole lot and the barrel will last awhile.
If you want a cool rifle though... get the origin in something other than a 14 twist 22-250.

I forgot about the tikka 8 twist.It may still be in the running.Thanks for reminding me.

Reactions: khuber84
For the origin would you go shouldered or barrel nut?

That's more a matter of preference then anything. I personally only use shouldered barrels. There's pros and cons to each, but it's all subtle nuances that shouldn't make a difference down range, all else equal.

What's more important is the quality of barrel, quality of gunsmithing work and using the correct chamber for your needs.

I’d go bighorn for sure as I know I’d always wonder if I made the right choice, or be wondering what if lol. Nothing wrong with tikka’s but you can go into any store and buy one any time if you are questioning yourself but the bighorn build will take weeks/months. Resale value, and customization are another thing routing for the bighorn.

Reactions: Stoweit
Really depends on how often you'll be using it. If it will sit in the safe most of the year and see a few hunts and not many range trips, get the Tikka. If you're taking it out to the range as well and putting quite a few rounds through it, go all out and get the Origin and look forward to super simple barrel swaps.

The origin also has replaceable bolt heads that would allow you to switch to .223 or mag calibers if you would ever want to in the future.

There's nothing wrong with a tikka, but an origin or any 700 footprint action has a leg up in available new and used triggers and stocks. There are just a few places doing shoulder or barrel nut barrels for tikkas. Theres a mountain of places doing savage barrel nut barrels and shouldered origin prefits.
13939.jpeg

I sold a nice tikka 243ai/w3 custom and put that money towards an origin and ax chassis. I had a couple criterion savage barrels and a giessele 2 stage. The tikka more than covered the new origin and used ax chassis.

I say origin all the way, I did one last year and couldn’t be happier with how it turned out. It’s currently my do all rig in 6creed, and smokes pretty much everything it connects with.
0D6238EF-9D5A-4D1F-9E85-FA174813F3D5.jpeg

Zermatt has some awesome customer service. I had issues with getting the time right on my origin, talked to ray in the shop, got some real helpful stuff from them and once they did the bolt body revision I got notified, sent mine in and got the new one all hooked up free of charge.

Go the origin for sure. Grab a krg bravo and a Trigger of choice. If money is a concern look at a xcaliber savage small shank prefit barrel for $325.

Origin is a great choice. I have one and it is smooth!

Just be careful, they are the gateway action into wanting a TL3 or SR3. You may ask how do I know this, because I got a TL3 shortly after my origin.

I'm a big Tikka fanboi but I have to give the nod to the Origin. I love my Tikka but the older it gets the more I realize the biggest downside is price of replacement parts. If I ever screw up my bolt it would be cheaper to just buy a new gun. Plus, good luck finding parts. I love my Tikka but for the long run, I'd go Origin.

It’s a shame they don’t offer other calibers, but it’s kinda the best of both worlds

Reactions: Jackomason
Thank you everyone.I'm going with the origin.I thought it would be the better choice and you have confirmed it.Now to find which vendor.

Reactions: reubenski
Thank you everyone.I'm going with the origin.I thought it would be the better choice and you have confirmed it.Now to find which vendor.

Brownells will have 10 percent coupons from time to time. Takes the price down to $750ish.

Went with brownels, 10 percent off brought total to 750 plus tax $810 delivered ,DAMN CALIFORNIA!

Reactions: txguero