• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Time pieces/Watches?

DavidSW is a great resource but yes you pay a premium for them and that’s why I would never use him. I am too parsimonious.

To the original poster looking for a Rolex. The DJ would be nice and I have a DJ41 and a Submariner ND. Neither are blingy but I would stay away from the YM unless you want the newer one. The old one is very blingy. I have a friend that has one and he eventually sold it for that very reason.

For buying, I would look at the Rolex Forum or Chrono24 for used watches.

Yeah the newer ones (maybe 2018 and newer?) are a little less bling which is what I would want. I need one that isn't too big and that isn't too thick and the YM fits that but also is really nice. I need to get down to my local dealer and try one on to see really.

I did look at chrono24 and it looks like it's the same money to buy from a business or an individual so I will very likely buy from a reputable place but buy a used watch but I guess the price of a new one figures in there as well. It's not like I plan on selling it, it's just my nature to buy in a way that I lose the least value and buying a used one with the papers and box and all seems to be the way to go. I will actually likely end up with 2 so I can give one each to my boys when I get old.... or older..

I'm getting ready to buy a new watch and I was interested in hearing from the group.

The first option is a Citizen Promaster Super Titanium #BN0200-56E. I currently own a stainless steel Promaster and I do like it. This model can be had for $300 and then I would have to buy two bracelet links, another $70. So call it all in $400. I have that money sitting here, I could do that deal today.

Option two. Been looking at a Tag Heuer Formula 1 #WAZ1010.BA0842 about $1250 plus another $90 for two extra bracelet links. Now add tax and total is $1420. Here's the catch, in order to do this deal I would need to sell two pistols. I have a buyer lined up it would be easy to do. I have never sold a gun before where the proceeds didn't go back into another gun. I have more than enough pistols, these two wouldn't be missed.

Let me know what you think.

I'm getting ready to buy a new watch and I was interested in hearing from the group.

The first option is a Citizen Promaster Super Titanium #BN0200-56E. I currently own a stainless steel Promaster and I do like it. This model can be had for $300 and then I would have to buy two bracelet links, another $70. So call it all in $400. I have that money sitting here, I could do that deal today.

Option two. Been looking at a Tag Heuer Formula 1 #WAZ1010.BA0842 about $1250 plus another $90 for two extra bracelet links. Now add tax and total is $1420. Here's the catch, in order to do this deal I would need to sell two pistols. I have a buyer lined up it would be easy to do. I have never sold a gun before where the proceeds didn't go back into another gun. I have more than enough pistols, these two wouldn't be missed.

Not an apples to apples comparison. Citizen makes a great daily but it wouldn’t be nearly as cool as the TAG. Would also be helpful to know what pistols you’d have to move. Generally speaking, if you have to hock other stuff to be able to afford a luxury watch (or car, or whatever) you probably shouldn’t be buying it. Disregard that last statement if you’re just moving some fun $ from one hobby to another.

I have a tag and I like it a lot. I also have and have had many citizens, and I like them too. There's a difference in some citizens though. They are not all created equally. The cheaper ones aren't great from a durability standpoint. I'm very rough on watches which is why I wear a citizens during the week. The tag only comes out on the weekends and such because I don't want to mess it up.

Reactions: FWoo45 and bkglock
The pistols are a couple standard Glocks. It would just be moving money from one hobby to the other.
The sticking point for me is spending that much money on a watch.

The pistols are a couple standard Glocks. It would just be moving money from one hobby to the other.
The sticking point for me is spending that much money on a watch.
I felt the same way a couple years ago. A few years before that, I felt the same way about guns.

Reactions: bkglock
Added this to the tribe today…

Had never heard of them but happened on one and got the background it was somewhat of an impulse buy. Amazing souvenir of my UK trip!!!

This thing is a tank!!

FFC0C86E-8620-4E7E-A3B4-FCAF0181C131.jpeg

Sirhr

Citizen has some great watches but I tend to stay with the JDM only versions. Seiyajapan and Chino watch dealers have never come up short on any order for me in the past 15 years. Before prices went crazy Casio MRG's. Use to like WUS but after Ernie sold the forum to some firm in Canada they started to over moderate and drove away many members. BN0200-56E is a nice looking watch, don't think you can go wrong in that $$$ range.

Citizen has some great watches but I tend to stay with the JDM only versions. Seiyajapan and Chino watch dealers have never come up short on any order for me in the past 15 years. Before prices went crazy Casio MRG's. Use to like WUS but after Ernie sold the forum to some firm in Canada they started to over moderate and drove away many members. BN0200-56E is a nice looking watch, don't think you can go wrong in that $$$ range.
WUS is pretty lame. I just joined again after a longish hiatus. I obviously didn’t expect it to be like the Pit but I already had mods deleting posts in the wrong thread for pretty benign posts.

Added this to the tribe today…

Had never heard of them but happened on one and got the background it was somewhat of an impulse buy. Amazing souvenir of my UK trip!!!

This thing is a tank!!

View attachment 8107228

Sirhr

Nice, is that the, tactical 2 model ?
looks to be quality parts, not to big @ 43mm x 13.20 thick , Swiss Auto movement, 38-hr. power reserve . S.S./pvd coat Case, sapphire crystal, screw down crown, superluminova illum. and MSRP under a grand .

WUS is pretty lame. I just joined again after a longish hiatus. I obviously didn’t expect it to be like the Pit but I already had mods deleting posts in the wrong thread for pretty benign posts.

I was there a while ago, it does seem a bit heavy handed now.

Just me but I think general "thread drift" is where you can come by some great info. That is long dead there.

Thata nice. So that's the price the dealer would charge me then?

I learned from buying my one "high end" watch that depends on the dealer and your standing with them. There are dealers out there that will sell for MSRP with no games, but good luck finding one.

Thata nice. So that's the price the dealer would charge me then?

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but odds of you scoring that new watch from a dealer is slim you will have to go get on a list and wait I’m sure and pray you get it for that retail plus your states sale taxes

But there is a chance I’m sure start calling when your serious and be ready

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but odds of you scoring that new watch from a dealer is slim you will have to go get on a list and wait I’m sure and pray you get it for that retail plus your states sale taxes

But there is a chance I’m sure start calling when your serious and be ready
I figured I could just order it and then when it gets here it gets here?

I figured I could just order it and then when it gets here it gets here?

I tried that with a dealer here in Kansas City, actually Overland Park. It never came. Against all judgement I called an outfit in Boston that was suggested on WUS, looked it up on the internet and did as much checking as I could. In the end I figured I could contest the charge on my CC. They mailed it out that day and I had it a few days later.

Depends on your dealer, and sadly your "relationship" with that dealer.

I tried that with a dealer here in Kansas City, actually Overland Park. It never came. Against all judgement I called an outfit in Boston that was suggested on WUS, looked it up on the internet and did as much checking as I could. In the end I figured I could contest the charge on my CC. They mailed it out that day and I had it a few days later.

Depends on your dealer, and sadly your "relationship" with that dealer.
ROLEX ADs cannot charge above MSRP or discount MSRP or they are out the door if caught. That is why you see new ROLEX models for sale at non-AD retailers that sell for a huge premium over MSRP.

Your ability to enter a waiting list and get a watch at MSRP is dependent on your relationship with a dealer. By relationship I mean how much you spend. There are a lot of people that spend a shit ton of money and they obviously get first crack when a dealer receives an allocation of watches. I have been waiting for a stainless Dayton for 3 years and am not likely to get one anytime soon.

Reactions: Dendro
So, there's basically no way I'm going to even be able to get a new one? I have no relationship because I've always gotten jewelry at cost from my dads friend. My diamonds (my wife's diamonds) and all have always come from him at cost. Well, I did buy a pair of earrings from diamonds direct once because I had a 2k gift card there a client gave me but I don't think they deal rolex

So, there's basically no way I'm going to even be able to get a new one? I have no relationship because I've always gotten jewelry at cost from my dads friend. My diamonds (my wife's diamonds) and all have always come from him at cost. Well, I did buy a pair of earrings from diamonds direct once because I had a 2k gift card there a client gave me but I don't think they deal rolex
You may get lucky or you will bite the bullet and spend a LOT more depending on the model.

I am on two lists at my AD. I want a stainless steel Daytona or a Deepsea Challenge. Being that I am a left hand shooter and use AI, I have learned to be patient and I would never pay the crazy prices that the on-line retailers are asking. I saw a stainless steel new Daytona for $28K. That is double the MSRP.

For not a lot more, I could buy a Patek which appreciates more quickly.

ROLEX ADs cannot charge above MSRP or discount MSRP or they are out the door if caught. That is why you see new ROLEX models for sale at non-AD retailers that sell for a huge premium over MSRP.

Your ability to enter a waiting list and get a watch at MSRP is dependent on your relationship with a dealer. By relationship I mean how much you spend. There are a lot of people that spend a shit ton of money and they obviously get first crack when a dealer receives an allocation of watches. I have been waiting for a stainless Dayton for 3 years and am not likely to get one anytime soon.

Repulses me even more.

In a kill barn I’m sure it could be done with much less.
I worked as a meat and poultry inspector for the state for a year and a half in my 20’s (2012). One of the plants would kill bison commericially under an exemption. Inspected them like cattle.

They were too wild for a captive bolt gun, and a 22 had issues with knocking them down. They used an old Oly ar15. Loud as hell you’d get spray across the kill floor. I had the pistol in my personal truck and asked I could drop one lol. Fun times, skull fragments and blood everywhere, I had a few make it in my fingers.

I like being a forester much better.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
DavidSW is a great resource but yes you pay a premium for them and that’s why I would never use him. I am too parsimonious.

To the original poster looking for a Rolex. The DJ would be nice and I have a DJ41 and a Submariner ND. Neither are blingy but I would stay away from the YM unless you want the newer one. The old one is very blingy. I have a friend that has one and he eventually sold it for that very reason.

For buying, I would look at the Rolex Forum or Chrono24 for used watches.
Would’t rule out checking on some Seikos. Lots of watches from Inexpensive all the way to $$$. From dress type to tool watches ….Automatic movements, Solar , battery powered …lots have great lume. 👍Fondled a Grand Seiko that was plush all the way around it. Japanese make some solid timepiece.
🇺🇸

Reactions: Dendro and 34SF
So, after much "mentoring" into getting a well made, rugged, high end, end of the world proof watch by @sirhrmechanic, I caved and picked up a Resco Gen 1 Patriot. The thing is a freaking tank, and is definitely something that will get passed down to one of the kids when I leave this world.

View attachment 7018114

Anyone else have some nice watches? I'm pretty impressed with the quality of these Resco's...
I have wanted another Ball timepiece for a long time , this one might be my next one ?
Not as high rent like a Rolex , but I bet this one is a good one considering the price , plus it’s a chronometer 👍
A55B5945-FA52-427A-B30A-3E7271EA44BB.png

Last edited:
Reactions: crackerbrown
I have wanted another Ball timepiece for a long time , this one might be my next one ?
Not as high rent like a Rolex , but I bet this one is a gold one considering the price , plus it’s a chronometer 👍View attachment 8117156
I have a Ball Engineer Master II Diver GMT and love it. Looks like this one (don't have an actual picture)

dg1020a-p1aj-bkgom.jpg

I love the dial.

I bought a new Citizen back in 1968 and sold it a few years ago...if you like a 'back story' then this will explain it all.
https://sweep-hand.org/kelvin-and-his-b52806-the-story-of-two-vietnam-veterans/
The narrative is not mine. The buyer (Bert) made it up from some email discussions we had.
It was a great watch, but I don't regret selling it (yet).
Heavy thing, and solid.
I do have a quartz Olympic which I was recently given for the price of postage.
It's big and heavy too, but I needed a watch again (well I was actually looking for an automatic or a hand wind watch...for one day when the supply of batteries runs out).
I like this Olympic...reminds me of the old Citizen.

Olympic.jpeg

I think you also need to have fun with them.

Today on my wrist.

They are automatics, with a standard miyota hacking movement. Nice clean, and Snoopy and Woodstock on a bike.

1682010068735.png

I have a standard "motorcycle watch",

1682010231126.png

I was wearing this when Bambi knocked me off the fool thing. The bike was killed, cracked case, me 3 broken ribs, both thumbs and the only road rash I had was when this watch was somehow ripped off my wrist, ATGATT type rider.

1682010330033.png

The watch was laying in the center of the road.

That little seiko is still keeping good time, and while I can't say it is the "only" watch I will wear on the bike, it is the 99% of the time watch. New spring bar and it was good to go.

I think you also need to have fun with them.

Today on my wrist.

They are automatics, with a standard miyota hacking movement. Nice clean, and Snoopy and Woodstock on a bike.

View attachment 8124247

I have a standard "motorcycle watch",

View attachment 8124251

I was wearing this when Bambi knocked me off the fool thing. The bike was killed, cracked case, me 3 broken ribs, both thumbs and the only road rash I had was when this watch was somehow ripped off my wrist, ATGATT type rider.

View attachment 8124257

The watch was laying in the center of the road.

That little seiko is still keeping good time, and while I can't say it is the "only" watch I will wear on the bike, it is the 99% of the time watch. New spring bar and it was good to go.
You need a gremlin bell on your bike!

I bought two Bremonts a month or so ago on speculation. Stupidly started wearing one often enough that now I'm second guessing the flip. I was a fan of their MB series (who isn't impressed by watch commemorating a rocket powered chair ride?) and the brand has taken some heat for some dumb moves but these are some sexy chunks of metal.
View attachment 8103253

Agreed.

My son saved and bought himself a Bremont Arrow and I have a Martin Baker on order.

Attachments

• Bremont Arrow_box and papers.JPG
    Bremont Arrow_box and papers.JPG
    468.7 KB · Views: 90