• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Time pieces/Watches?

View attachment 8156201

Post 193 for the front. I wanted a Codebreaker, but those (when they come on the market) sell in a microsecond for about $20K.. but damn I wish I had bought one of those when they were first issued.

Their new editions are pretty nice. But I'm going to resist. My next watch investment will be a Chopard Mille Miglia or a Cartier Tank, SS.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Do you not like this one? https://www.bremont.com/collections/supernova

1685995584164.jpeg

I'm not a watchologist, but what is the 4th hand for? I don't see it pointing to a calendar, and I DO see the date at the 3 o-clock position. So what's the little red hand do?

I not a 'watchologist' either . all my watches are all Rotor Auto, or manual wind. only battery electronic watch I got is the cell phone. ( me )..if it not all gears, springs, pivots,and levers, I don't really want to wear it .

A couple people already mentioned it's a 'GMT ' hand movement . . also there is couple mechanical builds of GMT calibers . ( office ) and ( true / traveler ) .
( Basically ) ..The GMT hand runs separate from the watches Hour and minute hands that make 2 revolutions of 12 hr. time for timekeeping . the GMT hand runs independently set to another time zone, making only one 24 hr. revolution . and like Mil. Time is kept with 24 Hr. markers on the Bezel . GMT set, is basically just a pull-out marker, when you pull out the Crown-stem, that separately mechanically operates setting of the GMT hand when rolling the Crown clockwise.

Now a few other High-end brand names that use a GMT True or traveler mechanical Caliber . Models like, Rolex GMT, Grand Seiko GMT, Omega sea master GMT, Tudor black bay GMT ...etc
Difference with a mechanically true/traveler GMT, dual time function. The hour-hand movement can be set independently in one-hour increments without hacking the movement. So basically it moves/sets the hour hand in one-hour increments to a local time without stopping or moving the minute and seconds hands, or affecting the GMT hand .

Reactions: Sandhog308
I'm not a watchologist, but what is the 4th hand for? I don't see it pointing to a calendar, and I DO see the date at the 3 o-clock position. So what's the little red hand do?

I not a 'watchologist' either . all my watches are all Rotor Auto, or manual wind. only battery electronic watch I got is the cell phone. ( me )..if it not all gears, springs, pivots,and levers, I don't really want to wear it .

A couple people already mentioned it's a 'GMT ' hand movement . . also there is couple mechanical builds of GMT calibers . ( office ) and ( true / traveler ) .
( Basically ) ..The GMT hand runs separate from the watches Hour and minute hands that make 2 revolutions of 12 hr. time for timekeeping . the GMT hand runs independently set to another time zone, making only one 24 hr. revolution . and like Mil. Time is kept with 24 Hr. markers on the Bezel . GMT set, is basically just a pull-out marker, when you pull out the Crown-stem, that separately mechanically operates setting of the GMT hand when rolling the Crown clockwise.

Now a few other High-end brand names that use a GMT True or traveler mechanical Caliber . Models like, Rolex GMT, Grand Seiko GMT, Omega sea master GMT, Tudor black bay GMT ...etc
Difference with a mechanically true/traveler GMT, dual time function. The hour-hand movement can be set independently in one-hour increments without hacking the movement. So basically it moves/sets the hour hand in one-hour increments to a local time without stopping or moving the minute and seconds hands, or affecting the GMT hand .
Watchologist = horologist.

Reactions: geek65
From some research, most models are going for above retail. I found a website and channel, watchcharts, pretty much lays everything out on the table for me with info
As @Bigfatcock points out, Rolex and other brands will likely be going through some price erosion in the secondary market due to the economy. Many of the brokers are solvent enough to hang on through a dip but some may not be. Best to be prepared with cash to pounce on any opportunity that materializes.

It is best to fully understand why you want any particular brand of watch. All are subject to price fluctuation except for a couple. As others have pointed out, Rolex is a solid brand but in the world of high end watches they are not perceived as a truly high end watch due to their high production. There are only a couple of brands that are considered tier 1. The undisputed king is Patek Philippe followed by AP, Lange and a couple of others. These brands always appreciate over time but the price of admission has spiraled away from being rational. I am fortunate that I bought mine when I did as I wouldn't spend that type of money today.

There are other brands to consider as well. One of my favorites is IWC. I have one of the original fliegerchronographs with a ceramic case. I think it is a beautiful watch. A new version can be had without issue for less than a Rolex Daytona (MSRP). You should really take your time and look at all of the brands out there. When you run across a watch that you like the look of, research their reliability. The cost for service is something to consider. I had a couple of Breitlings that I loved but they were unreliable and broke several times. Never bought another. Had a similar situation with a particular Cartier tank. It really soured me on the brand.

Take your time....

I have a Bremont and love it. Some of their watches go stratospheric on the secondary market. Others have tumbled. Buying one that has tumbled is a good deal! They have some new tributes out that are spendy. Those usually go up. But a lot of their military and dress watches are really spectacular and can be good bargains.

Great company. Lots of support.

I also just got a Pagoda when I was overseas a few weeks ago. I absolutely love it! Not spendy. Great readability and made by some great guys.

One does not need a Rolex... in fact, since the 'Rolex Bubble' I don't wear mine much. And I would not touch an Audemars with a 10 foot pole since they went all "Pawn stars and Six-Pack Shabazzz" rapper nonsense. Buy against the trend. Watches that are doing really well now (buyers market).... Omega Moon's and dress watches like Constellations, Oris (Oris Brashear is an awesome watch). Older IWC's (portofino's) are gorgeous and way classier than most Rolex's. Another under-rated brand is the Chopard. Well above Rolex in the 'big league' of watches. But not trendy. They make some great driving watches like the Mille Miglia that are cooler than a Daytona without the price tag. And the classic Cartier Tank says "I don't need no 'stinking' Rolex!" Classic deco. Folks who know watches know a Tank is a much classier statement than a Rolex.

Don't get me wrong... I have several Rolex's... all bought in market dips. My first I bought new in 1989 in North Carolina... made payments for 18 months on that one! I was poor.

But there are a lot more 'great' watches without going all bubble. Wait 5 years. Rolex will be in the toilet again and I'll get that Black bezel sub or explorer I've always wanted. Now? Not a chance.

Oh and don't worrry about a used Rolex. They are rebuildable forever... And 'age' just makes them classier.

Cheers,

Sirhr
I have a Submariner Date 16610. Seldom leaves the safe anymore. My daughter says if it’s ever hers , she’ll wear it every day. 🥴 Shes my only heir , know she’ll rock it....some day. 🙂 Way things are today wouldn’t want to die protecting it.
Besides a G-Shock or 3 , all my others are automatic, or wind. A timepiece with any other than a mechanical movement has no soul.

Last edited:
I have a Submariner Date 16610. Seldom leaves the safe anymore. My daughter says if it’s ever hers , she’ll wear it every day. 🥴 Shes my only heir , know she’ll rock i…..some day. 🙂 Way things are today wouldn’t want to die protecting it.
Besides a G-Shock or 3 , all my others are automatic, or wind. A timepiece with any other than a mechanical movement has no soul.
I hear that...my Patek, AP and Rolex watches are seldom worn. I have two non-mechanical watches...a Luminox and my Apple. I wear the Apple most of the time. They have no value to thieves as everyone has one and although I initially hated the idea, it is something that I have grown to rely on

My every day watch is a timex expedition. I don’t even replace the battery, and just buy a new one when it dies.

Lately I’ve been looking at Ball watches. Not really high end, but they have some interesting looking models, and use good stainless steel. Besides, the railroad heritage is cool since I have so much experience running trains.

My every day watch is a timex expedition. I don’t even replace the battery, and just buy a new one when it dies.

Lately I’ve been looking at Ball watches. Not really high end, but they have some interesting looking models, and use good stainless steel. Besides, the railroad heritage is cool since I have so much experience running trains.
Ball makes awesome watches , i consider them high end , proud to have one. 👍
Check out a Ball Marine GMT automatic. Pure tits !!

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
My picture - took it with a Nikon D850. Photographed for insurance purposes.

Rolex GMT Master. Bought in in 1983 for ~$750. My third Rolex watch. I had two Submariners before this GMT. Traded my second beat up Submariner for $350 so price was $400.

Was on my wrist mostly 24/7 until 2021. It was a very short model number run - 8 years - quite short for Rolex watches. It was only after I saw the asking prices that I parked it in a off premises safe and started wearing a cheaper watch. As you can tell, it has been well maintained (spelled "expensive" maintenance!).

Absurd prices these days. My first one was $150 - still expensive in those days but not near what they are now. That said, these watches are bullet proof. Just too price inflated these days.

i-rpNs39h-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Ball makes awesome watches , i consider them high end , proud to have one. 👍

Which model? They look really good and have some interesting models.

I hope I didn’t insult you with my comment on the ball, but it’s like @Nik H said; even Rolex isn’t super high end.

I hope I didn’t insult you with my comment on the ball, but it’s like @Nik H said; even Rolex isn’t super high end.
Check Balls website , lots of good info and choices. They have tritium down pat !
I‘d have a Engineer Hydrocarbon if my eyes were better. My brothers everyday watch.
Super high end watches are way out of my pay grade. I wear most , not easy on them at all. To me a 10k Rolex is high end enough , love mine. My brothers Ball keeps COSC time closer than my Sub.

Last edited:

I have a Ball Engineer Master II Diver GMT and it is an excellent watch. It is one of my favorites and represents a great value

As @Bigfatcock points out, Rolex and other brands will likely be going through some price erosion in the secondary market due to the economy. Many of the brokers are solvent enough to hang on through a dip but some may not be. Best to be prepared with cash to pounce on any opportunity that materializes.

It is best to fully understand why you want any particular brand of watch. All are subject to price fluctuation except for a couple. As others have pointed out, Rolex is a solid brand but in the world of high end watches they are not perceived as a truly high end watch due to their high production. There are only a couple of brands that are considered tier 1. The undisputed king is Patek Philippe followed by AP, Lange and a couple of others. These brands always appreciate over time but the price of admission has spiraled away from being rational. I am fortunate that I bought mine when I did as I wouldn't spend that type of money today.

There are other brands to consider as well. One of my favorites is IWC. I have one of the original fliegerchronographs with a ceramic case. I think it is a beautiful watch. A new version can be had without issue for less than a Rolex Daytona (MSRP). You should really take your time and look at all of the brands out there. When you run across a watch that you like the look of, research their reliability. The cost for service is something to consider. I had a couple of Breitlings that I loved but they were unreliable and broke several times. Never bought another. Had a similar situation with a particular Cartier tank. It really soured me on the brand.

Take your time....
I’m relatively new to the high end watch market so my experience is limited for sure. I only remember Rolex bc my dad had one growing up before he sold it to fund my brothers truck purchase as his first vehicle. I wish he never did that bc my brother treated that truck like trash, which is another story. I’m still leaning towards the Rolex brand but open minded

I wear all my watches still. I don’t care what resale value is because I use them. They all have desk diving marks on them

As for Ball. Great watches and I have 2 of them. Just got one back from service so it’s been getting lots of wrist time.

I’m old school but I’m glad to see a Rolex with a exhibition case back.
Some people never see the works of art they’re wearing. Rolex has always had plain case backs with no numbers , script etc. Seeing them actually work is fascinating !

Ok; so you guys inspired me (terrifying as that is)... Ball has a pre-order limited run of Brian Shul Blackbird Sled Driver Engineer Hydrocarbon AeroGMTs. Only doing 199 of them, and you can pick your number so long as it's available. 1 was taken (Mr. Shul, I presume) as was 199. 71 seemed like the logical choice. Ships in the fall.

Ok; so you guys inspired me (terrifying as that is)... Ball has a pre-order limited run of Brian Shul Blackbird Sled Driver Engineer Hydrocarbon AeroGMTs. Only doing 199 of them, and you can pick your number so long as it's available. 1 was taken (Mr. Shul, I presume) as was 199. 71 seemed like the logical choice. Ships in the fall.
Those are badassed. What bezel color did you order?

I have a Bremont and love it. Some of their watches go stratospheric on the secondary market. Others have tumbled. Buying one that has tumbled is a good deal! They have some new tributes out that are spendy. Those usually go up. But a lot of their military and dress watches are really spectacular and can be good bargains.

Great company. Lots of support.

I also just got a Pagoda when I was overseas a few weeks ago. I absolutely love it! Not spendy. Great readability and made by some great guys.

One does not need a Rolex... in fact, since the 'Rolex Bubble' I don't wear mine much. And I would not touch an Audemars with a 10 foot pole since they went all "Pawn stars and Six-Pack Shabazzz" rapper nonsense. Buy against the trend. Watches that are doing really well now (buyers market).... Omega Moon's and dress watches like Constellations, Oris (Oris Brashear is an awesome watch). Older IWC's (portofino's) are gorgeous and way classier than most Rolex's. Another under-rated brand is the Chopard. Well above Rolex in the 'big league' of watches. But not trendy. They make some great driving watches like the Mille Miglia that are cooler than a Daytona without the price tag. And the classic Cartier Tank says "I don't need no 'stinking' Rolex!" Classic deco. Folks who know watches know a Tank is a much classier statement than a Rolex.

Don't get me wrong... I have several Rolex's... all bought in market dips. My first I bought new in 1989 in North Carolina... made payments for 18 months on that one! I was poor.

But there are a lot more 'great' watches without going all bubble. Wait 5 years. Rolex will be in the toilet again and I'll get that Black bezel sub or explorer I've always wanted. Now? Not a chance.

Oh and don't worrry about a used Rolex. They are rebuildable forever... And 'age' just makes them classier.

Cheers,

Sirhr
I think that's what I'm doing. I'm taking the cash and putting it in an envelope in my safe for a Rolex but waiting to use it until the market dips. Biden has taken care of that bubble, with people now effectively making a lot less money.

I own one watch, a Rolex that was a graduation present from my grandfather 55 years or so ago. It sits in a safety deposit box. When I broke the last watch I actually wore a few years back I never bothered to get another. Cell phone works fine and generally I don't care what time it is or even what day it is. Retirement is taken seriously.

Reactions: Maxwell
Anyone know anything about Lum-Tec?

Made in Ohio with Swiss or Japanese movements.

The Combat B49 has caught my eye.

Have an Army friend that has one. Besides the Lume being high grade Super LumaNova vrs Tritium (my preference ) , and being a Ronda movement vrs a Mechanical (also my preference) , it’s a really nice watch , especially for the price point. Lum-Tec has a lifetime battery change for free plus they pressure check them after the case back has been opened which is a huge plus. 👍 Let us know if you get one.
🇺🇸

I have one. The Lumzilla. They make OK watches. Nothing high end, but it keeps good time.

They are very functional and good quality for the price

I have one. The Lumzilla. They make OK watches. Nothing high end, but it keeps good time.

They are very functional and good quality for the price
Does it take a beating? I’d like something that I can wear for work and occasionally I’m in the trenches with guys turning wrenches and what not.

Does it take a beating? I’d like something that I can wear for work and occasionally I’m in the trenches with guys turning wrenches and what not.

Well my LZ2 is a 50mm wide watch. It's damn thick too... so it's not an everyday watch.

The others that I've seen people daily wear have held up well. They don't seem to be too fragile.

I think that's what I'm doing. I'm taking the cash and putting it in an envelope in my safe for a Rolex but waiting to use it until the market dips. Biden has taken care of that bubble, with people now effectively making a lot less money.
I have noticed Rolex prices are coming back down to earth but do you think there will be a "dip"? when was the last dip?

I have noticed Rolex prices are coming back down to earth but do you think there will be a "dip"? when was the last dip?
I think there will be yes. Hard to say when and where the bottom of that will be but as inflation continues to bite and interest rates stay up there slowing the economy down and costing people more, it stands to reason that less people will be buying rolex

Reactions: southerngolfer
I think there will be yes. Hard to say when and where the bottom of that will be but as inflation continues to bite and interest rates stay up there slowing the economy down and costing people more, it stands to reason that less people will be buying rolex
Last dip was 2008 when folks realized they couldn’t get a 4th mortgage to put a Daytona on a payment plan backed by their overpriced McMansion.

No home equity loans and prices plunged.

For a while.

They will dip again. But remember that in times of inflation, tangible goods with solid provenance hold value, too. Inflation proof. So people tend to buy physical assets.

That said, if you bought one at bubble prices and need to pay your adjustable rate mortgage that just went up $500 a month… and your new property Tax bill that just went up $300ma month. And your grocery bill that just doubled…

The Rolex is the first to go for many.

So yes, a dip is likely. Watch for it to be mostly late model stuff…

Sirhr

Here are the photos of the watch I got from the company that put out the trans ad. It seems of good quality, it is a bit thick for my little girly wrists, but it works.

I am going to change out the band for a bracelet, nothing against the band I just hate this rubber thing. I want a nice metal bracelet, it will need to be black, but that is no real biggie. I don't remember off the top of my head what the lug to lug is, I have not even started shopping for it.

Already has a nice hole in the band where a hot spark from a weld landed on it.

I like St. Michael on the back, it is well done as well.

1686308838609.png

1686308857013.png

1686308876752.png

Here are the photos of the watch I got from the company that put out the trans ad. It seems of good quality, it is a bit thick for my little girly wrists, but it works.

I am going to change out the band for a bracelet, nothing against the band I just hate this rubber thing. I want a nice metal bracelet, it will need to be black, but that is no real biggie. I don't remember off the top of my head what the lug to lug is, I have not even started shopping for it.

Already has a nice hole in the band where a hot spark from a weld landed on it.

I like St. Michael on the back, it is well done as well.

View attachment 8158707

View attachment 8158708

View attachment 8158709
Looks very much like a Seiko Willard! Nice piece!!

Sirhr

Ohhhhh you got it! Nice!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I am wondering what to get next. I quite like the Broadsword and my Son likes the Argonaut (that will probably be his Birthday present next year).

Although, there are many Bremont watches I like: Supernova, WR-22, ALT1-WT, etc.

I am wondering what to get next. I quite like the Broadsword and my Son likes the Argonaut (that will probably be his Birthday present next year).

Although, there are many Bremont watches I like: Supernova, WR-22, ALT1-WT, etc.
The Isle of Man TT limited definitely is gorgeous... but wow the price!

I'm going to hold out for a Codebreaker that someone doesn't know what they have. One will turn up!

Sirhr

Reactions: crackerbrown
The Isle of Man TT limited definitely is gorgeous... but wow the price!

I'm going to hold out for a Codebreaker that someone doesn't know what they have. One will turn up!

Sirhr

The TT is £5,495 in the UK (https://www.bremont.com/products/isle-of-man-tt-limited-edition-white), I paid £4,770 for the MB.

When I was in the shop (or boutique as they call it) yesterday I was informed that there was no Codbreakers available, but on the secondhand market about £30,000 (you will have to work that out in $).

Last dip was 2008 when folks realized they couldn’t get a 4th mortgage to put a Daytona on a payment plan backed by their overpriced McMansion.

No home equity loans and prices plunged.

For a while.

They will dip again. But remember that in times of inflation, tangible goods with solid provenance hold value, too. Inflation proof. So people tend to buy physical assets.

That said, if you bought one at bubble prices and need to pay your adjustable rate mortgage that just went up $500 a month… and your new property Tax bill that just went up $300ma month. And your grocery bill that just doubled…

The Rolex is the first to go for many.

So yes, a dip is likely. Watch for it to be mostly late model stuff…

Sirhr
I bought my (used) Day Date in early 2009 under exactly those circumstances. Got a screaming deal. It’s worth three times what I paid for it.

But, adjusting for inflation, I’m probably at “break even”…..,, :rolleyes: :eek::ROFLMAO:

looks like Seiko reworked the GMT NH34, to release the new relaesed GMT 6R54 with squeezing the Reserve power from 40 up to 70-Hr.. with also shifting Crown and Date to 4:30 , from 3:00 position . I really like the Crown positioning @ 4:30 when getting bigger than 42mm case sizing .
They are almost identical Sll GMT movements in every way . both, 21.600 VPH , 24 jwl , same height/width and very similar +/- second accuracy .

Reactions: kriller134