• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Time pieces/Watches?

Tudor is back from the shop. I requested pictures after tear down, so here is the Prince all field stripped.
Resized952023111095135939.jpeg
Resized952023111095105630.jpeg

Not really into watches but I have two. Garmin Fenix 5 for outdoor activities and a Tag Heuer Formula 1 quartz for dressy occasions and working in the office.

Opinions on the Resco Kauffman vs Tissot Seastar 2000 Powermatic?

Looking to upgrade from my 10yr old Marathon JSAR

Me --->.. hands down The Tissot seastar, over the Resco kauffman , The seastar a little thick @ 16+mm , But good looks, and swiss powermatic80 movement and also with BIG power reserve. 80hr.

Reactions: lonegunman762x51

Are you interested in quartz movements at all? Marathon has the Steel Navigator with or without date, claims accuracy of ± 10 sec per year.
I've seen them on-line for under $700.

Really looking for an automatic this time. I love my JSAR. Just want to try something new. I have a tissot pocket watch that I love. I’ve heard good things about the Resco. But just came across the Tissot Seastar while cruising their website and I like its form factor.

Resco>Tissot all day for me. I don't have either FWIW, so feel free to ignore my opinion.

Does anybody have any good recommendations for an authentic and reasonable priced alligator strap?

Try veblenist.com. They make custom watch straps from just about any material you want. I have used them and have been very happy. It takes 3-4 weeks to get your strap.

I have giant wrists so I have to get custom straps. They aren't cheap, $100 and up.

Reactions: southerngolfer

My favorite daily is a Tudor Pelagos LHD, I've become a huge fan of longer run times. 80 hours of power reserve is handy. That would be my tiebreaker.

@Jigstick

My vote would be for resco. More unique, excellent customer service (like some of the best CS of any company I’ve ever done business with), lots of custom options in colors and dials (just give them a call), easily serviceable movement (sell it’s sw-200 is what I believe they are using now) comparable to the eta 2824.

Nothing wrong with the Tissot, and I’ve been tempted by the PRX before, but its 80 hr power reserve is due to it running at 3hz instead of standard 4hz. Other than that it’s basically an eta 2824. Certainly not going to get the same CS from swatch group.

I have watches with lower power reserve and higher and I don’t see much of difference in day to day. If I wear it every day it stays running and if I don’t I’m probably going to have to wind it and set it when I want to wear it again. YMMV

All that being said the tissot is significantly cheaper if that’s a factor.

Last edited:
So my Stocker and Yale P650 Sandy shit the bed... which pisses me off.

Battery leaked and the contact broke off when the battery came out. Plus coil is fried. Looks like last time someone changed the battery, they hit the coil with a screwdriver.

So... off to the shop to fix a contact. Soldered a new tip on this. Now waiting on a couple of new coils.

1707084239843.png

Local watch guy said to toss it out. Can't be fixed. Never tell me something can't be fixed! Because I'm damn well gonna fix it!

Ended up ordering a whole replacement movement for $26. I'll transfer over the coil, insulator and the contact above (I did fix it, but I'll get a new one with the movement).

I've had this for decades. No way it gets 'tossed out.'

1707084474635.png

First time I've ever tried fixing a watch. Tiny parts. Annoying. But I won't let it beat me!

Sirhr

This "RGMT" brand with Seiko movement (3 position crown) , automatic with H3 tritium on the hands and hour markings is better than I imagined. I've let it sit untouched for about 36 hours after wearing it for several days and hasn't appeared to have lost time. I usually don't wear "nice" watches but this is actually growing on me.

1707096699058471552656493238574.jpg
17070967154537769130344358146009.jpg

Does anybody have any good recommendations for an authentic and reasonable priced alligator strap?
Also check Etsy. The overseas craftsman in VN and Thailand (for example) have access to real skins and some do very high quality custom work.

Reactions: southerngolfer
So my Stocker and Yale P650 Sandy shit the bed... which pisses me off.

Battery leaked and the contact broke off when the battery came out. Plus coil is fried. Looks like last time someone changed the battery, they hit the coil with a screwdriver.

So... off to the shop to fix a contact. Soldered a new tip on this. Now waiting on a couple of new coils.

View attachment 8341127

Local watch guy said to toss it out. Can't be fixed. Never tell me something can't be fixed! Because I'm damn well gonna fix it!

Ended up ordering a whole replacement movement for $26. I'll transfer over the coil, insulator and the contact above (I did fix it, but I'll get a new one with the movement).

I've had this for decades. No way it gets 'tossed out.'

View attachment 8341134

First time I've ever tried fixing a watch. Tiny parts. Annoying. But I won't let it beat me!

Sirhr
Sorry it shit the bed, but sounds like somebody tried to kill it at the last battery change. Watchmaking is fkn hard!
I put a new movement in my old Seiko SKX, nearly sent me crazy but got it done.

Tiny little parts indeed, hard for those of us with decent size hams! Keep going Sirhr, don’t let it beat you! Take your time, get it in a high bench near your eyes that you can rest your forearms on, and get an eyepiece or magnifying head mounted thingy. Good luck, we want to hear about the win!

Here is a brand not yet represented.….in this thread it’s like standing next to a horse at a urinal, but representing the poors, I present the following:

Guess Waterpro Indiglo. This was one of my first “big” purchases, in high school. Everyone was rocking a Fossil watch. I thought this looked nicer. I wore this from the time of purchase to 2005-2007ish.

IMG_4608.jpeg

IMG_4609.jpeg

IMG_4611.jpeg

In 2005, I put $100 in the pot of a friendly poker game. A friend of mine had just bought this watch, for around $135-150. Incidentally, it’s also a Guess. This one is the Waterpro Chronograph. There were a few years I wore an Apple Watch, but it’s back to my daily wear.

IMG_4612.jpeg

IMG_4613.jpeg

IMG_4614.jpeg

I have a few other watches that got some wear - even less worth mentioning than these Timex-owned Guess Brand gems.

I have decided to get into watches. My future firearms budget will slowly move to watches. Since I was a little kid, I wanted a Rolex. This thread has been helpful in looking at a few other brands to consider. Thanks!

My favorite fancy watch, wore it last week to dinner and a concert.

View attachment 8342442
I‘d never take it off !! 👍

Sad but true story here … periods of 1972 I was TAD at Subic Base Pl.
In the Exchange I saw a Stainless Submariner I lusted for. Being a PO3 at the time ,so $$$ or lack was a huge issue. Put my head to it and had a helpful remedy !
When TAD I got a Base liquor ration card …5 fifths of hard stuff per month.
I rat-holed my months issue …couple of Jacks , Johnny Red ,Tequila , Vodka , Chivas.
Cost me $2.50 a bottle 👍 I then trolled outside where merchant marines were , they either didn’t have full Exchange privileges or maybe just not booze ? Anyway they had money ! Got around $ 50.00 a bottle the Chivas $60.00. The Submariner cost me $ 335.00. LOTS of ??
Never took it off for a week or so ..went diving off Grande Island with it … thought I was the shit 😎
Finally took it off in my barracks room one day , stashed it in my locker by its box , locked it …showered , came back to a unlocked door , there layed the cut off lock on the deck 😳 Needless to say I had been robbed !
So I owned one for less than 3 weeks 😩
Thought a Filipino house boy did it off the bat , Base Provost Marshals didn’t .
Other possibility was a huge Mandingo Marine stationed at the Marine Barracks that saw me wearing it in the Chow Hall , noticed he was eyeballing me in passing, may have followed me to my barracks , watched me leave the room …he then did the deed ? I wasn’t the first to get ripped off the same way. I found out later there had been some Marines that got busted for robberies on base. Never saw it again 😡 The Navy could have cared less of course. I KNEW I wasn’t smart to be wearing it anywhere in the PI , a life time lesson learned. TAD period was done , back to sea.

Last edited:
So on Sunday I ordered a new movement from a company in Canada. Complete new movement is a grand total of 26 bucks. So I ordered two.

However, the new movements do not have a tall enough post to take the Stocker and Yale hands that have tritium vials on them.

Good news was that there was nothing wrong with the gear movement in my watch. So I put in a new coil, a new circuit board, a new insulator and a new battery contact -- all out of the new movement. And Bob’s your uncle... it’s running perfectly.

IMG_9095.jpeg

These P650s are basically unobtainable. So glad I was able to fix it. And I even have a spare movement in case it goes tits up again.

Of course the other fun of the week was that I took my Tag into the local jeweler to replace the battery. And zippy the wonder ferret working behind the counter, apparently screwed something up and it’s now off to NJ TAG repair shop… on my dime… to be repaired. But he didn’t charge me for the battery swap.

At least half the week worked out well.

Sirhr

Last edited:

I am a Tissot guy, the powermatic versions have lasted me for a long time, battery version makes it about a yr before they quit.

YMMV, besides the Apple Watch Ultra I wear daily, these are my only other timepieces. The gold & titanium version gets the most comments and it keeps the best time, I like the weight of the stainless.

IMG_3006.jpeg

Reactions: Bakwa
If any folks are interested, this site/blog is fantastic!

For all you 'watch guys' (and gals... there are some of you) Watches of Espionage posts curated articles on military and espionage watches... and their role in geopolitics. (Their article on how the Agency uses watches to 'profile' world leaders is fantastic.) Many good archive articles. Along with monthly e-mails of cool articles.

Also some cool swag... but I have not bought anything yet. And, no, not affiliated with them. Not selling anything!

Just thought some of you would like to read about some cool watches and the cool (or in some cases despotic) folks who wear and use them.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Thanks to this thread my watch addition has kicked back in. Had a Seamaster 300 that I lost a while ago and never replaced. Drooling over some of these posts and finally gave in, Planet Ocean in one of their new colors.

Attachments

• IMG_3834.jpeg
    IMG_3834.jpeg
    357.3 KB · Views: 50
Thanks to this thread my watch addition has kicked back in. Had a Seamaster 300 that I lost a while ago and never replaced. Drooling over some of these posts and finally gave in, Planet Ocean in one of their new colors.
A new Seamaster is on my radar

I don't have a watch problem; I can quit any time I want. Really. Newest additions are this SD43 with a Yachtmaster seconds and an A-13A pilot watch.

I got the SD used and it was supposed to just be an interim until my sub-date came in at the AD. But, I've been on "the list" now for 8 months and keep being told "the next one is yours" while I'm reading about guys in my region getting "the call" after less than two months. Hard to be civil to the AD when I'm being lied to every time we speak. I digress. At 43mm it's quite a bit more hefty than my previoius SD but the bracelet is way more substantial at 22mm and has quick tooless micro adustments. I'll be using the hell out of the 4k ft depth rating as I snorkle down to recover all those guns you guys keep losing in those boating accidents. Just as soon as the water warms up.

I'm really impressed with the A-13A, it's a take off on a cockpit clock and the legibility is amazing with AR coating on both sides of the crystal and a deep black dial. It's quartz but has the heft of an auto at 42mm and although I would have liked a central seconds instead of a crono, this one checks all the boxes for me for a daily. It's made in Italy by one guy that's focused on quality. The exchange rate and shipping added more than I would like to the price but start to finish, it took just five days to get to me and I think it's a great piece of kit.
_D3X8429.jpg
_D3X8491.jpg

So, the Ball AeroGMT Sled Driver that I've posted about here before (#71 of 199) that I planned to just sit on for several years may have to go. Chemo's expensive. I know I'm not going to get what I paid since it's still available new, but where are you guys having the most success selling? Chrono24? Somewhere else?

So, the Ball AeroGMT Sled Driver that I've posted about here before (#71 of 199) that I planned to just sit on for several years may have to go. Chemo's expensive. I know I'm not going to get what I paid since it's still available new, but where are you guys having the most success selling? Chrono24? Somewhere else?
I’m sorry you have to go through Chemo. Prayers sent your way.

I haven’t sold anything on this site but Watchuseek has a pretty good sized classified portion.

Any recommendations on a watch specifically targeting fitness? Mainly looking to track heartbeat, and calories burned.

I’d rather not spend $1,000 as I’d only wear it at the gym.

Some the lower end Garmin look decent.

Apple and Samsung are not an option.

I know Fitbit has a few options but I’m not familiar with them.

Any experience?

I’m sorry you have to go through Chemo. Prayers sent your way.

I haven’t sold anything on this site but Watchuseek has a pretty good sized classified portion.
@someguy12341 After Ernie Romers sold WUS it rapidly changed and I found myself moving away from the forum. Between 95-2009 bought and sold watches at that forum around the world and never once had a bad experience. For me it was more like renting watches because I was flipping them so fast. Sieko ANA Pilot is still a grail watch that never past through, biggest regret was letting my SeaStar 1000 go. My info is definitely outdated but I see you are dealing with health problems please keep in mind, some skepticism may exist selling something without a prior forum presence. It may bring out the dreaded low ballers. Best wishes you, have a lot going on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 34SF
Any recommendations on a watch specifically targeting fitness? Mainly looking to track heartbeat, and calories burned.

I’d rather not spend $1,000 as I’d only wear it at the gym.

Some the lower end Garmin look decent.

Apple and Samsung are not an option.

I know Fitbit has a few options but I’m not familiar with them.

Any experience?
I use/used a Garmin for a while, bought it in 2016 or so. Not sure if it tracks calories burned, but will look at it when I get home.