• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Time pieces/Watches?

IMG_4850.gif

I have this iconic watch, a military Roamer Super Shock. Bought it for $20.
It is actually just as iconoc as the Omega Speedmaster. People just don't know.
The watch is identical to the watch Paul Tibbits, pilot of the B29 Enola Gay, wore when he dropped the A-bomb on Hiroshima.
My watch don't work so I've adjusted it to show the time of detonation:
View attachment 8204813

If you want it restored, I know the guy…

Pm me.

Sirhr

Reactions: FWoo45
Does anyone know where the Glock watches were made?

Does anyone know where the Glock watches were made?

Interesting… not that I want one… but this is like a giant Internet mystery. There is not a peep about it. Except those who say they are trying so hard to hide it… Must be the Chicoms.

The closest I saw was in Chrono24, there was a Listing that said the solar quartz movement was Japanese. And a couple of folks speculated Seiko quartz movement. Other than that, an informational black hole.

Which makes me think China for certain. If they were Swiss or Austrian or even USA made, it would be splashed everywhere, IMHO. But by hiding it in shame… what do you want to bet China?

BTW had not heard of these…. But limited runs. Different EU and USA spec (cosmetic only from what I see) and spendy! Like $2k spendy for a polymer and titanium watch, sapphire crystal, solar quartz movements and (ha hahaha) neon accents.

The watches are being ruthlessly made fun of on a couple of Firearms sites. Comments are priceless.

Hey, I like the idea. And the style is not horrible.

But if you are selling a premium watch to us gun folks (who dig down, love to bitch about little shit, and DESPISE the fucking ChiComs) you ‘might’ do some research and get to know your market.

Surprised that Dylan Mulvaney isn’t their brand ambassador.

Good watch/gun collaborations would be fantastic!!! And there have been some. Purdey with Panerai I think. Spendy but cool. All engraved. I am sure there are others.

And at the Tactical level, A Pagoda/Accuracy Intl. Collab would be amazing. Resco and Barrett or Sig would make sense.

And a Glock watch makes sense. If in the execution it doesn’t become a joke or, worse still, a target for the anti-China movement which is growing daily. (in this case, an anti China movement movement!)

Sorry @Milf Dots for the long answer. But you opened up a fun question. I thought it was a 15 keystrokes Google question and easy answer. But no… an Internet mystery for sure. Good one!

Sirhr

Interesting… not that I want one… but this is like a giant Internet mystery. There is not a peep about it. Except those who say they are trying so hard to hide it… Must be the Chicoms.

The closest I saw was in Chrono24, there was a Listing that said the solar quartz movement was Japanese. And a couple of folks speculated Seiko quartz movement. Other than that, an informational black hole.

Which makes me think China for certain. If they were Swiss or Austrian or even USA made, it would be splashed everywhere, IMHO. But by hiding it in shame… what do you want to bet China?

BTW had not heard of these…. But limited runs. Different EU and USA spec (cosmetic only from what I see) and spendy! Like $2k spendy for a polymer and titanium watch, sapphire crystal, solar quartz movements and (ha hahaha) neon accents.

The watches are being ruthlessly made fun of on a couple of Firearms sites. Comments are priceless.

Hey, I like the idea. And the style is not horrible.

But if you are selling a premium watch to us gun folks (who dig down, love to bitch about little shit, and DESPISE the fucking ChiComs) you ‘might’ do some research and get to know your market.

Surprised that Dylan Mulvaney isn’t their brand ambassador.

Good watch/gun collaborations would be fantastic!!! And there have been some. Purdey with Panerai I think. Spendy but cool. All engraved. I am sure there are others.

And at the Tactical level, A Pagoda/Accuracy Intl. Collab would be amazing. Resco and Barrett or Sig would make sense.

And a Glock watch makes sense. If in the execution it doesn’t become a joke or, worse still, a target for the anti-China movement which is growing daily. (in this case, an anti China movement movement!)

Sorry @Milf Dots for the long answer. But you opened up a fun question. I thought it was a 15 keystrokes Google question and easy answer. But no… an Internet mystery for sure. Good one!

Sirhr
Guy on YT took one apart and said it was a Seiko Epson, VS75 movement

Reactions: 91Eunozs
Guy on YT took one apart and said it was a Seiko Epson, VS75 movement

That's a good movement and a great company. Where was it assembled and who made the 'rest' of it?

Glock (were they smart) would be promoting a Seiko movement. Then again, most folks these days still think of Seiko's as 'cheap Japanese watches' not the top tier watches they are.

Oh well... not my problem. But at least it's not ChiCom ripoff. Of the movement.

Good find! Didn't think to check YouTube!

Sirhr

I’ve recently been looking at vintage watches from the early 1900’s.

Still about another year before I start scooping up fire sales on modern watches.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Cases have just gotten way too big on most watch brands these days.

I like my women big, not my watches.

Yes, for me it looks like I strapped a hubcap on my wrist. Sadly when I say this far too many people ask what is a hubcap.

That's a good movement and a great company. Where was it assembled and who made the 'rest' of it?

Glock (were they smart) would be promoting a Seiko movement. Then again, most folks these days still think of Seiko's as 'cheap Japanese watches' not the top tier watches they are.

Oh well... not my problem. But at least it's not ChiCom ripoff. Of the movement.

Good find! Didn't think to check YouTube!

Sirhr

I would do Seiko long before I would do anything from Swatch......and yes I do mean ANYTHING. Yes I know a popular brand talked about here is made by them.....it is still a swatch.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
I have looked at those HARD......REALLY HARD. They are fairly inexpensive, at least as far as a swiss movement goes. They also have some "retro" 39mm watches that will not look like the hubcap on my wrist. I still think of getting one as a beater, but I just bought a new beater a few months ago. They have some Sub clones, knock-offs, homage whatever you want to call it that I like for not too bad money. I could do that.

I would do Seiko long before I would do anything from Swatch......and yes I do mean ANYTHING. Yes I know a popular brand talked about here is made by them.....it is still a swatch.
What brand? thnx

What brand? thnx

Swatch Group are pure evil...

They acquired Eta a while ago. THE go-to movement for a lot of small watch makers. Eta movements are fantastic... but when Swatch took them over, they cut off supply to niche makers and basically said fuck you... we are controlling this and we don't care about small makers. In fact, we want to stomp them.

Enter Sellita (sp?) which is basically making the same movements (at least in form factor) and is FANTASTIC. Resco switched to them a few months ago. I ordered a movement direct from Sellita and sent it to Resco... and they built a special GMT canteen for me around it. Sellita is catering to the very smallest makers and will even sell to a hillbilly like me. Movement arrived in a week, perfectly packed and right from their factory.

Fuck ETA... and look for Sellita from now on.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I have looked at those HARD......REALLY HARD. They are fairly inexpensive, at least as far as a swiss movement goes. They also have some "retro" 39mm watches that will not look like the hubcap on my wrist. I still think of getting one as a beater, but I just bought a new beater a few months ago. They have some Sub clones, knock-offs, homage whatever you want to call it that I like for not too bad money. I could do that.

Got you have to admit it a nice looking watch.

This one has caught my eye, and extremely reasonably priced at around $2000-$3,000. 18k case. I’d get a brown strap though.

Can work with business casual, jeans, and probably more formal wear depending on the crowd and environment. Great for when you want something with some gold, but won’t make everybody feel uncomfortable at the cost. It’s the “ Hey, I’m a normal person too” flex.

IMG_4859.jpeg

Finally got this mounted. Had a coworker come up with a 3d printed holder for an old gshock (the older twin of the one on my wrist) that I have that the band died on it. Now I have a watch on my motorcycle.
Mtg-m900da
20230815_184453.jpg

20230815_184806.jpg

Reactions: jbrand11

They acquired Eta a while ago. THE go-to movement for a lot of small watch makers. Eta movements are fantastic... but when Swatch took them over, they cut off supply to niche makers and basically said fuck you... we are controlling this and we don't care about small makers. In fact, we want to stomp them.

Enter Sellita (sp?) which is basically making the same movements (at least in form factor) and is FANTASTIC. Resco switched to them a few months ago. I ordered a movement direct from Sellita and sent it to Resco... and they built a special GMT canteen for me around it. Sellita is catering to the very smallest makers and will even sell to a hillbilly like me. Movement arrived in a week, perfectly packed and right from their factory.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Personally I think they grabbed up ETA for no other reason then to kill off the "smaller" brands. That was the final straw for me.

I just tried out Sternglass because I like the Bauhaus look and the price was nice so if I didn't like it it wouldn't hurt. I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised. Good watch, very clean looking and functions with no issues. Just tossing a relatively cheap option out there.

I just tried out Sternglass because I like the Bauhaus look and the price was nice so if I didn't like it it wouldn't hurt. I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised. Good watch, very clean looking and functions with no issues. Just tossing a relatively cheap option out there.
Pics or it didn’t happen…

I think I might get another one aka I like it. Next one will be the 12 hour and not 24hr. I like the 24hr but I think the 12 hour looks cleaner. Just my .02

That is the saddle leather strap btw. It is titanium and ridiculously lightweight. It is very comfortable.

Cheers,

Sirhr
Rolex have just delivered a blow to the Swatch empire. Rolex recently purchased Bucherer, a retail chain of over 100 retailers in UK/EU, and Torneau in the USA. Bucherer/Torneau sell a lot of Swatch group brands. Rolex will therefore get the retail profit from every Swatch group watch, sold in any Bucherer/Torneau store. I think that’s awesome!

It gets better. Rolex own, and have recently purchased, significant amounts of property in the UK. (And possibly elsewhere but I’m not advised). Some locations have Bucherer stores, and some have Watches of Switzerland and Swatch group stores. So not only do Rolex make profit from Swatch group brands now, they also collect rent income from some of the locations selling other brands. This epic strategic move will also allow them to control allocation better, and will slowly alter the ‘grey market’ dynamic over the next few years. Well played sirs.

For those that didn’t already know, Rolex is a not a regular company, but administered by the Hans Wilsdorf Foundation. A decent chunk of annual (tax free) profit goes to charities like the Red Cross, and other social and philanthropic causes. Worth a few minutes of your time to have an internet search, if you can spare them. While you are there, search ‘Rolex Allied POW watches‘, and ‘great escape watches’. Hans Wilsdorf was on our team, respect.

Rolex have just delivered a blow to the Swatch empire. Rolex recently purchased Bucherer, a retail chain of over 100 retailers in UK/EU, and Torneau in the USA. Bucherer/Torneau sell a lot of Swatch group brands. Rolex will therefore get the retail profit from every Swatch group watch, sold in any Bucherer/Torneau store. I think that’s awesome!

It gets better. Rolex own, and have recently purchased, significant amounts of property in the UK. (And possibly elsewhere but I’m not advised). Some locations have Bucherer stores, and some have Watches of Switzerland and Swatch group stores. So not only do Rolex make profit from Swatch group brands now, they also collect rent income from some of the locations selling other brands. This epic strategic move will also allow them to control allocation better, and will slowly alter the ‘grey market’ dynamic over the next few years. Well played sirs.

For those that didn’t already know, Rolex is a not a regular company, but administered by the Hans Wilsdorf Foundation. A decent chunk of annual (tax free) profit goes to charities like the Red Cross, and other social and philanthropic causes. Worth a few minutes of your time to have an internet search, if you can spare them. While you are there, search ‘Rolex Allied POW watches‘, and ‘great escape watches’. Hans Wilsdorf was on our team, respect.

Interesting… thanks for that!!

Sirhr

Only really fuzzy photo of mine.

1695387725294.png

Reactions: Clearlight
Botta- from what I can tell uses the Swiss Ronda quartz movements.

For their automatic they use ETA and Sellita movements.

My Botta is a quartz movement, it was inexpensive.

I think my next watch will be an UNO but they have a couple of UNO24's for sale in their sale/clearance section.

IMG_4678.jpeg

Picked up a Cartier Tank XL, I’m a tool watch guy but thought it might be nice to have something for when I dress up nice. So far, I really like it but it does feel very delicate and I’ll need to be mindful not to get it all scuffed up.

^^^ tank is on my list! Nice!

For @GBMaryland who asked about the strap on Freddie…

IMG_5888.jpeg
IMG_5887.jpeg
IMG_5886.jpeg
IMG_5885.jpeg

I wish I knew who made it, but maybe putting the “Borg” on it here will get an answer.

Came on a watch I bought. 20mm. Waxed canvas over some kind of rubber core. Only marking on deployment clasp is “stainless steel”. It’s PVD coated.

Maybe one of you guys recognize it or can track it down. Aaron at Combat Straps says he can replicate it and I bet he can. But maybe someone here knows where they are off the shelf.

Best strap ever… very comfy!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Here is the clasp…..maybe?
Thanks for that... I sent my pix to them to ask if it is their band. They have a specific canvas on the site that looks really similar. Called "Haveston Canvas" from the UK. The material looks dead nuts.

But none of the bands on Holbens site seems to have a rubber inside lining. Or at least I can't see evidence of one.

That said, this is the closest I've seen!!! Well done!

I bet the Google-fu of this place can track it right down. I'll definitely get a couple more if I can find the source!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: Charger442
^^^ tank is on my list! Nice!

For @GBMaryland who asked about the strap on Freddie…

View attachment 8233179View attachment 8233180View attachment 8233181View attachment 8233182

I wish I knew who made it, but maybe putting the “Borg” on it here will get an answer.

Came on a watch I bought. 20mm. Waxed canvas over some kind of rubber core. Only marking on deployment clasp is “stainless steel”. It’s PVD coated.

Maybe one of you guys recognize it or can track it down. Aaron at Combat Straps says he can replicate it and I bet he can. But maybe someone here knows where they are off the shelf.

Best strap ever… very comfy!

Cheers,

Sirhr
No idea what it is but for some reason I feel like this is the first time I've seen or known about deployment clasps. My current watch is on a metal band so it doesn't matter to me currently.

Anybody with any of the gwg2000 gshock have a deployment clasp? Did a quick search and didn't find any for those. That is my eventual watch.

I normally take this off as soon as I get home. Tonight I somehow overlooked it.
Tonight I was wiring outlets to The Boy’s room. I happened to look at the time and noticed I seem to have a small issue with dad’s Tudor.
Story is he bought it in ‘63 as a self reward for a promotion. I don’t ever remember noticing it on his wrist. He wore a Casio for years and after he retired he wore a G-Shock he bought Overseas. He gave the G-shock to me when my first was born.
After he passed away, my StepMother gave the Tudor to my brother. Who in turn traded it to me for dad’s CMP 1911 that dad had given to me years ago.
IMG_3464.jpeg

I normally take this off as soon as I get home. Tonight I somehow overlooked it.
Tonight I was wiring outlets to The Boy’s room. I happened to look at the time and noticed I seem to have a small issue with dad’s Tudor.
Story is he bought it in ‘63 as a self reward for a promotion. I don’t ever remember noticing it on his wrist. He wore a Casio for years and after he retired he wore a G-Shock he bought Overseas. He gave the G-shock to me when my first was born.
After he passed away, my StepMother gave the Tudor to my brother. Who in turn traded it to me for dad’s CMP 1911 that dad had given to me years ago.
View attachment 8235695

Seal is bad… get that to a watch repairer post-haste before stuff inside rusts or oxidizes!

It won’t hurt it short term, but a matter of weeks and you may have spendy issues!

Sirhr

Thanks for that... I sent my pix to them to ask if it is their band. They have a specific canvas on the site that looks really similar. Called "Haveston Canvas" from the UK. The material looks dead nuts.

But none of the bands on Holbens site seems to have a rubber inside lining. Or at least I can't see evidence of one.

That said, this is the closest I've seen!!! Well done!

I bet the Google-fu of this place can track it right down. I'll definitely get a couple more if I can find the source!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Got a nice response From them… not their strap. Theirs aren’t rubber lined/padded. Still on the hunt.

Sirhr

Got tired of batteries dying and having to constantly reset my automatic watches....

...picked up one of the newer solar Seiko speed timers and put it on repro Apollo long strap...

Gets something like 6 months on 8 hrs of sunlight.
View attachment 8235971
Pretty sure Sangin's "Merlin" uses the same solar movement.

Got a nice response From them… not their strap. Theirs aren’t rubber lined/padded. Still on the hunt.

Sirhr
Think Jean Rousseau could make it happen? I would love a similar strap for my "working for free" watch.

Does anyone know where I can get a 9" neoprene or silicone watch strap for my Citizen Promaster?

I am having no luck trying to find one. There are a million straps out there but they seem to go to 8 or 8 1/4"
20231019_134101.jpg