• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Time pieces/Watches?

For those in the Northeast (or visiting Gettysburg) the NAWCC museum just East of York is an amazing place to spend a couple of hours.

The collection is out of this world. Can spend hours looking at every form of horological wonder. Some great military displays. Railroading. The manufacturing and tools exhibits were awesome.

A couple of cool photos:

IMG_3358.jpeg

IMG_3361.jpeg

IMG_3369.jpeg

IMG_3370.jpeg

IMG_3372.jpeg

IMG_3373.jpeg

IMG_3381.jpeg

The RAF clock was really cool!

Sirhr

A Pogue is also on my list.

One of the iconic Seiko's. Which have taken off! I've tried to buy a few... but always get beat out. It's on my 'cool Seiko' list. I was a fool not to buy up some amazing Seiko's as little as 5 years ago. There are about 5 - 8 Seiko's that are now heading into stratospheric levels. King Tuna. Pogue. Willard. Olympic World Time. Orange Monster. Amazing watches and there is now a 'restoration' infrastructue as well.

Seiko is now in utterly in Iconic Territory. Not their reissues. But the 'real deal' watches from the '70's and 80's.

Sirhr
@sirhrmechanic Who da fuk came up with these names?!? :LOL: I would love to have a vintage Turtle case, I mean a Willard (Really?!?), I mean... Seiko Ref 6105-8110.
I wouldn't kick the"re-issue" with the 8R35 outta bed for eating crackers BTW. The other vintage Seiko I lose sleep over? The Seiko 6217-8001/62MAS (The 1965 version).

P.S. Have you seen the new Grand Seiko Tentagraph? I like it!
SLGC001G.png

P.P.S How ya coming on that Zenith El Premiro? 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF
@sirhrmechanic Who da fuk came up with these names?!? :LOL: I would love to have a vintage Turtle case, I mean a Willard (Really?!?), I mean... Seiko Ref 6105-8110.
I wouldn't kick the"re-issue" with the 8R35 outta bed for eating crackers BTW. The other vintage Seiko I lose sleep over? The Seiko 6217-8001/62MAS (The 1965 version).

P.S. Have you seen the new Grand Seiko Tentagraph? I like it!
View attachment 8164850

P.P.S How ya coming on that Zenith El Premiro? 😁

Pogue... named after an astronaut from, IIRC, Oklahoma, who wore a Seiko on an Apollo mission instead of the standard Omega.

Willard is because Martin Sheen (Captain Willard in Apocalypse Now) wore a Seiko....

Orange Monster... for obvious reasons.

King Tuna.... High beat, huge with an 'aerodynamic' shape. It was the king of the deep saturation diving world when it came out.

The "Arnie" beause it's what he wore in Commando. Also another movie... but can't remember which. That thing is spendy now!

The collector community has named the icons...

Got an El Primero a couple of years ago. A Crockett model Ebel. After service it has been a tank! Love it. Now I need a Bren 10, an Armani jacket and a Testarossa. Oh and Vuarnets.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Pogue... named after an astronaut from, IIRC, Oklahoma, who wore a Seiko on an Apollo mission instead of the standard Omega.

Willard is because Martin Sheen (Captain Willard in Apocalypse Now) wore a Seiko....

Orange Monster... for obvious reasons.

King Tuna.... High beat, huge with an 'aerodynamic' shape. It was the king of the deep saturation diving world when it came out.

The "Arnie" beause it's what he wore in Commando. Also another movie... but can't remember which. That thing is spendy now!

The collector community has named the icons...

Got an El Primero a couple of years ago. A Crockett model Ebel. After service it has been a tank! Love it. Now I need a Bren 10, an Armani jacket and a Testarossa. Oh and Vuarnets.

Cheers,

Sirhr
He wore the H558 in the movies Commando and Predator. You can find Pogues for $1200.00 give or take. An orginal Willard? North of $3500. I never got into the Monsters so IDK but hat tip to the movement they used. King Tunas are badass and I wish I would have jumped when Seiya-San had the limited editon Gundam versions for sale for cheap (but you can still find them for $3500). The OD green one (1000 pieces - 40th Anniversary Limited Gundam Mobile Suit Gundam Zeon MS-06 Zaku II) was bad ass, had the 8L35 movement, titanium and ceramic case, and 1000M rated. It was the real deal for $3K. The Char was identical but black and red but they were all cool! And yes, the middle one is a GMT Spring Drive and will set you back north of $10K. More Seikos to collect!
Seiko-Mobile-Suit-Gundam-40th-Anniversary-Limited-Editions.jpg

Last edited:
He wore the H558 in the movies Commando and Predator. You can find Pogues for $1200.00 give or take. An orginal Willard? North of $3500. I never got into the Monsters so IDK but hat tip to the movement they used. King Tunas are badass and I wish I would have jumped when Seiya-San had the limited editon Gundam versions for sale for cheap (but you can still find them for $3500). The OD green one (1000 pieces - 40th Anniversary Limited Gundam Mobile Suit Gundam Zeon MS-06 Zaku II) was bad ass, had the 8L35 movement, titanium and ceramic case, and 1000M rated. It was the real deal for $3K. But they were all cool! And yes, the middle one is a GMT Spring Drive and will set you back north of $10K.
View attachment 8165147
I got my Willard c. 1978 from Service Merchandise when I was in 7th Grade. Watched it ride out on the belt. I think it was about $65... but it was my first big boy watch and I picked it out myself from the catalog. I had won a $100 prize for writing an essay and bought a watch and a fishing rod and had $10 left over.

The first gen Pogues are in the 2500 range now. But you can get later ones for $1500 +-

Seiko's are the hottest thing in colletible market now.

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS. Obviously, it was not a "Willard" then. It was a Seiko and I assume a 'leftover' inventory item that Service Merchandise got a deal on? I thought I had lost it until about 2 years ago, I found it in a box of stuff. Sent it out and had it rebuilt. Only thing that did not survive was the rubber strap which was all hard. It's on a repro strap now... not a good one. I'd love to find an exact original rubber. But the only guy offering the 'exact' repro's turned out to be a scam on eBay. At least I got my $$ back.

Last edited:
I got my Willard c. 1978 from Service Merchandise when I was in 7th Grade. Watched it ride out on the belt. I think it was about $65... but it was my first big boy watch and I picked it out myself from the catalog. I had won a $100 prize for writing an essay and bought a watch and a fishing rod and had $10 left over.

The first gen Pogues are in the 2500 range now. But you can get later ones for $1500 +-

Cheers,

Sirhr
Huh. Wonder what my 1st Gen Sumo SBDC001 is worth these days? Edit: Not that much. :LOL:

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS. Obviously, it was not a "Willard" then. It was a Seiko and I assume a 'leftover' inventory item that Service Merchandise got a deal on? I thought I had lost it until about 2 years ago, I found it in a box of stuff. Sent it out and had it rebuilt. Only thing that did not survive was the rubber strap which was all hard. It's on a repro strap now... not a good one. I'd love to find an exact original rubber. But the only guy offering the 'exact' repro's turned out to be a scam on eBay. At least I got my $$ back.
Come on sirhr…..don’t you know that every pogue on eBay is the original pogue?
doesnt matter what color dial or model number it is it is an ORIGINAL POGUE!

what is the true pogue the 6002 or the 6005 I’ve seen websites that say either one….

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Come on sirhr…..don’t you know that every pogue on eBay is the original pogue?
doesnt matter what color dial or model number it is it is an ORIGINAL POGUE!

what is the true pogue the 6002 or the 6005 I’ve seen websites that say either one….
Good read on real versus fake...

Last edited:
Good read on real versus fake...
Even more this...

Sirhr

Flew down to Florida to see my best friend and Navy wingman. He had this one on one day. Told him I thought it was cool. He tried to give it to me since I was a Navy Diver (I was actually just scuba). "No way, Buddy!" I said, as he was jobless at the time. Figured he could sell it. When I got home I found it hidden in my backpack. Love that dude. True friend.
20200209_112216.jpg

A few years later he did the same thing with this one. Asshole! Thankfully he was doing far, far better financially at the time. Love that guy. :)
20220612_143534.jpg

My Seiko 5 was purchased over fifty years ago in RVN and still keeps "good time."

This defines inflation and I bet every one of them is committed to a new owner.

The Seiko 5 is an icon and I’m glad you’ve had a good experience with it. Seiko and Grand Seiko are different brands and this is like comparing a first gen Corolla to a modern Porsche 911. Both cool, but totally different animals.

Anyone else been watching prices since the beginning of the year?

Plunge in some of the highest-end stuff. Audemars, Rolex, Patek, several others. Down 25 percent or more. Not quite 'underwater' for folks who bought in the last 3 years... but if the trend continues, the market is correcting bigtime.

Interesting that a lot of 'lower-end' tier one watches (Oris, Cartier, some others)... are still appreciating. These are the ones in the 2000 - 4000 range for a lot of stuff. But are still iconic. Cartier Tank is on my list bigtime.

Anyway, it's a damn good time to look for some of the higher-end Rolexes. Some can be bought at half what they were at a year ago. Then again, they were still 2x inflated then.

But Subs have taken a hit and it's tempting right now! Vintage model, of course.

Sirhr

Plunge in some of the highest-end stuff. Audemars, Rolex, Patek, several others. Down 25 percent or more. Not quite 'underwater' for folks who bought in the last 3 years... but if the trend continues, the market is correcting bigtime.

Interesting that a lot of 'lower-end' tier one watches (Oris, Cartier, some others)... are still appreciating. These are the ones in the 2000 - 4000 range for a lot of stuff. But are still iconic. Cartier Tank is on my list bigtime.

Anyway, it's a damn good time to look for some of the higher-end Rolexes. Some can be bought at half what they were at a year ago. Then again, they were still 2x inflated then.

But Subs have taken a hit and it's tempting right now! Vintage model, of course.

Sirhr
I’m watching. Waiting for another 25% drop before I start looking on the used market. Prefer to buy new since for the last few years a new Rolex has been cheaper than a used Rolex, or the price difference wasn’t large enough to consider used over new.

I’m wanting to add a couple yellow-gold case/bracelet models.

I always watch the used watch market. It’s one of my indicators for people getting broke AF. We are in the lack of buying phase right now. The mass dump/market glut phase is when I start looking to buy real estate.

Sirhr
Unless they are on antiques roadshow then they are sky high !

IMG_5650.jpeg

Hadn’t look at Breitling in a while. Got excited when I saw them at Oshkosh. Honestly. It fell flat. Still love the band but the face just didn’t do it for me. Daytona black face still does it.

So this happened earlier in the week…

Thanks to @34SF who helped navigate some glitches in Chrono24 site that screwed up my communications with the seller…

View attachment 8202801

Grail of grails! Bremont Codebreaker joins the Hawking in my watch case and more importantly on my wrist!

Sirhr
If I'd known you were there, I would have walked outside and said hello!

Man I bought that omega and it's absolutely beautiful. It's too big for my little wrists though. Gonna have to sell it.

Well here is a rabbit-hole I did not need to go down.

Too many hobbies. Must resist. However winter is coming. Farm work is coming to an end. And I know I won't be able to resist for long.

So going to try this over the winter!

Too many hobbies. Must resist. However winter is coming. Farm work is coming to an end. And I know I won't be able to resist for long.

I am pretty sure I hate you.

• Haha
Reactions: roostercogburn98

I like a few of those pilot watches

Are there any gun or tactical companies offering quality Japanese or Swiss watches? And, are the Glock watches Chinese, or from a non-enemy nation?

Are there any gun or tactical companies offering quality Japanese or Swiss watches? And, are the Glock watches Chinese, or from a non-enemy nation?
Just look for Miyota movements. They are Japanese. Pretty sure any reputable gun company making one would use those at a minimum. Just from a money making pov. Maybe some super high end company using Swiss movements, but not likely.

Resco is American owned and built in California. They use Swiss movements in most of their watches I believe. I really like mine

Reactions: Milf Dots
Just look for Miyota movements. They are Japanese. Pretty sure any reputable gun company making one would use those at a minimum. Just from a money making pov. Maybe some super high end company using Swiss movements, but not likely.

Resco is American owned and built in California. They use Swiss movements in most of their watches I believe. I really like mine
There are some "lower priced" watches out there that use Swiss movements.

These guys use Swiss movements.

This is the movement

Personally I like "mass market" movements. Anyone that does mechanical watches can fix them, nothing special. There is a good and bad with that.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
There are some "lower priced" watches out there that use Swiss movements.

These guys use Swiss movements.

This is the movement

Personally I like "mass market" movements. Anyone that does mechanical watches can fix them, nothing special. There is a good and bad with that.
I just referenced Resco because he asked about tactical or gun related companies. Resco is owned by a former Navy SEAL.

Reactions: Milf Dots
I just referenced Resco because he asked about tactical or gun related companies. Resco is owned by a former Navy SEAL.
Rob is an awesome dude.

He made it through BUD/S by focusing his mind on watch movements and design when things got rough or miserable... instead of focusing on pain or cold or tired, he built watch movements in his head. He'es been building/taking apart/working on watches since he was a boy.

Was interesting that I once listened to a lecture by a VN POW and he said that he got through the worst parts by building his dream home in his head... again and again. Nail by nail. Board by board. He built it hundreds of times. And no matter what the pain or angst or suffering, he was building that house in his head. So everything else went out of his brain except his 'happy place.'

Rob is an amazing human being and his watches are fantastic. It doesn't have to do with his 'Seal' cred. It has to do with the fact that he has lived, breathed and loved watches since before he knew what Seals were. And as a result, his 'working' watches are some of the best out there.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I just bought a Resco that I think looks cool… You bastards.

I almost bought that SR 71 watch… and you’re still bastards for making me even consider it.

Note: I had to go back and look… But apparently they know that I’m a veteran and I got a discount!

Last edited:
So I just noticed that someone selling an omega on the hide…. So I go to their website, and I look for watches that I might like, and I see this:

Cases have just gotten way too big on most watch brands these days.

I like my women big, not my watches.

I think that’s also one of my problems… I’ve got a pretty good size wrists, but insanely large watches just annoy the shit out of me.

Cases have just gotten way too big on most watch brands these days.

I like my women big, not my watches.

I think that’s also one of my problems… I’ve got a pretty good size wrists, but insanely large watches just annoy the shit out of me.

i didnt know how i would like the larger faces but now i cant go back. had a Merlin and thought i was wearing a woman's watch.

as Patrick Henry was famous for saying "Give me a 53mm case, or give me death!!"

• Haha
Reactions: GBMaryland
I have this iconic watch, a military Roamer Super Shock. Bought it for $20.
It is actually just as iconoc as the Omega Speedmaster. People just don't know.
The watch is identical to the watch Paul Tibbits, pilot of the B29 Enola Gay, wore when he dropped the A-bomb on Hiroshima.
My watch don't work so I've adjusted it to show the time of detonation:
1692050949244.png